Everyone is getting Skinny
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Everyone is getting Skinny

I don't think I have read anyone talking about this...

What's with all these players coming in so skinny?

Lebron, Carmelo, Jordan Hill, Kobe....

In today's LA Times there's a picture of Blake Griffin and he looks thinner too.

Even our own Julius Randle looks like he dropped a lot of weight...but he was kind of puffy to start.

Lebron was pretty cut and muscular before and now he's skinny...how much weight did he drop? He didn't have that much fat on him.

I hear people around me talk about these guys coming off HGH due to upcoming drug testing.

One guy I overheard said he heard on an interview where they interviewed a doctor who said it is virtually impossible for guys like Lebron to loose so much weight that it has to be that he stopped taking HGH....something like that.

What's the scoop? Anyone see any other players looking skinny?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

Would not be surprised.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

Gotta fit into those jeans.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

Kobe started the trend.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Kobe started the trend.

And he started the trend in 2004. Remember when Kobe looked like this... http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxtwm4aJxD1r67hy8o1_400.jpg

He realized a long time ago that the added bulk was slowing him down and remained in ideal basketball shape ever since. It looks like he lost even more weight over this past summer...almost looking rookie-Kobe skinny now. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Kiss my Converse.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

The game has changed. Adding mass was great in an era when there were big men and you needed to be able to push guys around.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

They don't want to bend their 6 pluses
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject:

Here's some article I read recently on it. Crap load of typos and errors so credibility is questionable but nonetheless interesting.

http://bucketsoverbroadway.com/2014/09/11/hgh-knick-nba-problem/
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject:

don't the players also lose some 20 lbs or so (or 150 if you're shaq) over the course of the season?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Here's some article I read recently on it. Crap load of typos and errors so credibility is questionable but nonetheless interesting.

http://bucketsoverbroadway.com/2014/09/11/hgh-knick-nba-problem/

The NBA will protect Lebron though. Even if he did (likely) they'd never reveal a positive test result. Carmelo has never had the drive to improve his game much or work on his body, so its hard to believe now he acquired the ability to stick with a diet that would allow him to cut weight so quickly.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject:

Athletes do not generally use HGH as a weight loss supplement. It is a recovery and enhancement supplement. The issue with HGH is it taxes the internal organs, especially the heart. Then again, Alcohol taxes the liver and other things. So, using kids as one of the reasons for their favorite athletes using, in turn, they would start using, is a little misguided.

You want the guys to preform 82 games a year and play international ball, and go deep into the playoffs, they need a recovery supplement once they start to creep up into their 30's. Otherwise, your investment in them runs out early.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Athletes do not generally use HGH as a weight loss supplement. It is a recovery and enhancement supplement. The issue with HGH is it taxes the internal organs, especially the heart. Then again, Alcohol taxes the liver and other things. So, using kids as one of the reasons for their favorite athletes using, in turn, they would start using, is a little misguided.

You want the guys to preform 82 games a year and play international ball, and go deep into the playoffs, they need a recovery supplement once they start to creep up into their 30's. Otherwise, your investment in them runs out early.

The latter part of the bold is what's being discussed. If the players used HGH for various reasons, and it helped bulk their muscles up, then going off of it could be a reason for their dramatic weight loss.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

All that extra weight, even if we talk about pure muscle, means damage.

Your cartilage wears out, your joints suffer, etc. You can sustain that excess while you´re very young, but all the guys you named are either declining, injured or in their last year/two years before going downhill, so they lose weight to suffer less or to extend their careers.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

I would bet money that most of them were taking HGH
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

That gluten free trend.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Michelle Obama?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

Winter is coming!
...for PED users
It might be why stern left when he did.
I wouldn't be surprised if a league wide, major PED scandal hits the league this season or next.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

I got blasted on the forum for bringing this up years ago... but this is why I always looked at the Kobe, "pre-olympic weight loss" as suspicious (along with the other olympians. I believe they went off the stuff during the Olympic testing period. Which is why they all dropped some weight.)

Honestly I'm with Mark Cuban. the NBA should manage HGH rather than ban it all together. You could even give a certain age range where it's allowed. Outside of that age range... it's not allowed.

I am absolutely sympathetic to taking HGH if about 20-100 million dollars was on the line in my career net earnings... which if you look at the top of the league is easily the figure probably at play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
I got blasted on the forum for bringing this up years ago... but this is why I always looked at the Kobe, "pre-olympic weight loss" as suspicious (along with the other olympians. I believe they went off the stuff during the Olympic testing period. Which is why they all dropped some weight.)

Honestly I'm with Mark Cuban. the NBA should manage HGH rather than ban it all together. You could even give a certain age range where it's allowed. Outside of that age range... it's not allowed.

I am absolutely sympathetic to taking HGH if about 20-100 million dollars was on the line in my career net earnings... which if you look at the top of the league is easily the figure probably at play.

I agree with you.

Don't ban HGH. Manage it.

It's in the league's best interest that these athletes are able to adequately heal from their injuries. And proper management will reduce abuse.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

You can look at the league from two perspectives:
- the athletic competition: HGH or anything similar should not be allowed at all. Olympic standards should be the minimum.
- the entertainment: manage the substances and protect the performers from themselves.

Still people will try to cheat no matter if its entertainment or athletic competition. But since the NBA (or NFL, NHL...) are on an entertainment level (otherwise the league wouldn't micromanage that much) - I would not care too much about a big scandal. Part of the entertainment...

Seriously though - you think if there are no tests there is nobody that uses it? The 7 of 10 is probably fairly accurate. Wonder if Westbrook is still on that stuff and if Durant will be skinny again soon...
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I would bet money that most of them were taking HGH

That's where my money's at too. Look, I workout almost everyday and there's no way you lose all that muscle and weight in less than 2 months by not eating bread. It's just ridiculous!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Even if say Lebron or Kobe were using PEDs, I doubt the NBA would let that information come out. These are the faces of the NBA. Sure, a Turkologu or Rashard Lewis here and there, but never the top stars. It's in their own self-interest (NBA) not to have that leaked.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject:

This is a no-brainer. All you have to do is look at the jawlines of guys like Wade to see they are/were on HGH. It's good the league is doing something about it.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

I wish I was on HGH.
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

lost 15lbs last 2 months going low carb like LeBron , works great
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: