Lakers Training Camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

I can't believe people are actually complaining about a coach coming in and making these guys work hard.

Conditioning will prevent way more injuries than it causes. Being out of shape cause far more injuries IMO.

I love his hard nose old school style vs. Mikes new age layed back all offense no defense crap.

29th in the league last year in defense should be enough for anyone here to smile when you hear guys ran hard and practice was 90% Defense vs Mikes 1% defense practices.

Anyone picture the scene from the movie Miracle when the coach made them skate after the game until they were throwing up. lol. That's what i pictured B Scott doing.
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
j-wolf wrote:
I think Scott is right on the money when he stresses D for the current Lakers team. As long as you can stop people from getting 90+ points per game, you always have a chance. Lakers have lots of young guys. Let them run, burn their energy, hone their defensive skills, and share the ball in offense. This is the only way to win with their current roster.

Agreed. Emphasis and accountability on the defensive end have been long overdue, and it looks like Scott will bring that.

It will be all for naught, however, if we trot out lineups with Nash, Kobe, & Boozer playing together for any significant amount of time. Heck, even Nash & Kobe together is a bad idea, IMO.

Kobe might still be a force in defense though. He's seen it and done it before. But you can't teach old dogs new tricks. Nash and Boozer will be Nash and Boozer. Not an easy task to improve Laker's D.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
j-wolf wrote:
I think Scott is right on the money when he stresses D for the current Lakers team. As long as you can stop people from getting 90+ points per game, you always have a chance. Lakers have lots of young guys. Let them run, burn their energy, hone their defensive skills, and share the ball in offense. This is the only way to win with their current roster.

Agreed. Emphasis and accountability on the defensive end have been long overdue, and it looks like Scott will bring that.

It will be all for naught, however, if we trot out lineups with Nash, Kobe, & Boozer playing together for any significant amount of time. Heck, even Nash & Kobe together is a bad idea, IMO.

Kobe might still be a force in defense though. He's seen it and done it before. But you can't teach old dogs new tricks. Nash and Boozer will be Nash and Boozer. Not an easy task to improve Laker's D.

I think the most recent example of an older perimeter player (over 35) playing high level defense was JKidd, and he did so with limited offensive duties and minutes on the Mavs. The greater point was that team had a defensive network which happened to include two high-level defenders in Marion/Chandler.

Defensive prowess tends to wane as players get older. It takes a lot of effort to run through screens and battle. Sad to say but we see more "pointing defense" (i.e. player points at another player to defend his guy) at this age. Kobe can certainly pick his spots, but to expect 82 games as a top notch defender is unrealistic.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject:

When Kobe wants to D up...he can. That's what he did in the Olympics. He let Bron and Melo do all the scoring, but took the other team's #1 option, manned him up and totally took him out of the game.

Not saying we will get that from Kobe now, but if Kobe were to choose to play D, I think he could.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
When Kobe wants to D up...he can. That's what he did in the Olympics. He let Bron and Melo do all the scoring, but took the other team's #1 option, manned him up and totally took him out of the game.

Not saying we will get that from Kobe now, but if Kobe were to choose to play D, I think he could.

Right, but the point is he had Bron/Melo and company. On this team, people are expecting him to put up 27/5/5. That will take lots of energy, particularly for a 36 year old.

I hope Scott will consider giving Lin a shot at the starting lineup, and overall, more minutes. We could hide Nash better with the 2nd lineup IMO.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Yeah, what i thought it was going to happen is happening already. B-Scott is a coach directly sent from the 80's. well...i wish him and the players luck. I dont dig this outdated methods at all, cause i dont believe in their efficiency

Well I guess you don't dig Pat Riley's championships as well as coach Wooden's UCLA championships? They we're all based on outplaying your opponent by being in better conditioning shape. The old rules are the best take it from an old timer, conditioning is the first step in preventing injuries and maintaining defensive pressure for 48 minutes.
MDA's biggest mistake is that he thought his offense could run non-stop but he forgot that the greatest effort and physical demands were needed on defense.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
NYClakerguy wrote:
sigh, byron scott already ruining team morale and chemistry, and the season hasn't even started

Are you being serious or sarcastic. Hopefully it's the latter or it's gonna be a long season of laker fans complaining about stupid crap.

You better get ready for it. It's a given that it's coming.

God forbid when we lose the first few games! Scott is not an alchemist he cannot change nickel into gold. Hope people understand that he has actually inherited a worse team than last year.
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

http://cnavideo.cna.com.tw/Misc/Latest/Video-2/004321110?v=34ntzVVplJy6Miqa0UsVxA%3D%3D

You don't need to understand Chinese to view the video...
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:
http://cnavideo.cna.com.tw/Misc/Latest/Video-2/004321110?v=34ntzVVplJy6Miqa0UsVxA%3D%3D

You don't need to understand Chinese to view the video...

Love it! those guys were breathing hard, and bent over that's how you run a basketball training camp. Next defense defense defense, a little offense and more defense.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

I like what I am seeing.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
13th Man wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Deeefense...

Quote:
"It was definitely a different experience," Jeremy Lin said. "A lot of defense, running, old-school drills."

The Lakers worked mainly on — here's a change — defense, spending about 98% of practice on it, Lin said.

i wonder what he meant by old school drills.. a lot of B Scott critics say his strategies and tactics are dated.

Shouldn't be construed as a bad thing, he could mean it as an old-style hard-nosed workout based on basketball fundamentals as opposed to advanced techniques and strategies that he's been accustomed to in recent years.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that everyone on this board want the Lakers to succeed. An opinion on this topic is not because we want to drag certain people down to prop up another. This is certainly not about Lin vs. Kobe or Scott, just LOL at some of the reaches from a simple observation. If people are "criticizing", it's most likely for the betterment of the team, not for one particular player.

So the team is working on defensive slides and suicides all day? I'm sorry but did we hire a conditioning coach or a basketball coach? If Byron has to spend his practices getting in players in shape then we've already lost. Unless injured, players should be ready to go.

So it's a bad thing to spend the first day of camp assessing exactly where his players are in terms of conditioning? Unless of course, you think Scott should be so naive as to simply ask each player and take their word for it.

Whether or not players SHOULD be ready to go on day one is irrelevant. I'm sure you've seen enough seasons to know that is not always the case. In fact, it rarely is.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Right, but the point is he had Bron/Melo and company. On this team, people are expecting him to put up 27/5/5. That will take lots of energy, particularly for a 36 year old.

I hope Scott will consider giving Lin a shot at the starting lineup, and overall, more minutes. We could hide Nash better with the 2nd lineup IMO.

Exactly. 2 minutes left in a close game? Put Kobe on the opponent's best perimeter player...I still think he can get the job done decently well. For 82 games, while shouldering the offensive load? Setting yourself up for failure and injuries.

And the biggest problem with having Nash, Kobe, & Boozer on the floor together is transition. Having 3 guys in the lineup that would lose a foot race to the vast majority of their positional counterparts in the league is a recipe for ineffective defense. The only way that MIGHT work in transition is if Kobe is playing the 3 (which I support) and Boozer is playing the 5 (which is a terrible idea)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

13th Man wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
CHRISTYLE70 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Yeah, what i thought it was going to happen is happening already. B-Scott is a coach directly sent from the 80's. well...i wish him and the players luck. I dont dig this outdated methods at all, cause i dont believe in their efficiency

What part of the practice did you see that was from the 80's? Every team runs suicides. Thats a basic part of basketball conditioning.

Right.

Yeah, so go and watch footage from all the best coaches in the world, Mourinho, Guardiola, Phil Jackson, Popovich and tell me how much running outside of a warmup light run, they put in their training sessions. It's an outdated method of practice for all coaches that are about modern coaching techniques, in most of the sports.

So what's the problem with these sort of drills?

I'm guessing that it takes away from the time that could be better spent developing team chemistry on the court and more specific basketball drills. It's like if an NFL coach brought the players into the weight room to do a strength workout.....stuff that could be done on their own time during the off-season. Not to mention risk of injury especially to the older players.

And I think it is a great way to build team chemistry. That is how I start out every season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

NYClakerguy wrote:
sigh, byron scott already ruining team morale and chemistry, and the season hasn't even started

No, but the mindless complaining has.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Ok, i'm going to try to explain what the point i was trying to get across is:

For instance, old school soccer (football) coaches would take their team to the mountains or to a place with extreme heat in the pre-season, and would make them run for days, for conditioning purposes.

Nowadays, because the players are very well payed professionals and usually take good care of themselves, it is seen as a unnecessary measure, unless they all are out of shape. If only a couple of them are, you put them in the gym and they do specific training to get in shape, instead of or after regular training.

Modern sports training techniques promote a cohesive training style, you draw exercises where most of the skills needed are the ones that you will use in games. Cause that's the goal of training after all, to prepare you to play the game, so you put the players in very similar situations as the ones they'll face in competition.

The bits i saw from todays training consisted of a very segmented and "old school" regime of exercises. Even when the players were shooting from long range they were in some kind of military column, and rigid positioning. That, i dont like, cause it just smells outdated to me.

That's all really. I think we can move on peacefully, now

Edit: I do acknowledge that even conditioning heavy coaches tend to do most of that heavy lifting in the pre-season, yes. But i would argue that even that is kinda unnecessary.

I see that applying concepts of psychology, as important as any system, is being ignored.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

FTR, I don't think Byron Scott should be scrutinized over the 1st practice of a very long season. If he remains "Old-School" and it ends up affecting the performance of the team then it may become an issue down the road. Sounds like he has good control of the situation, if guys like Kobe are supporting his methods, who are we to balk about it?

I'm sure that if John Wooden was to coach today he'd be old-school as well however he has the natural ability to get the most out of his players which is more important.

Lastly, there is a difference between consstructive discussion and complaining. Since we are all yearning for something to talk about, discussing coaching methodolgies does not imply whining or complaining about what the coach is doing wrong. What's wrong with rational discussion and picking up different perspectives from forum members on this subject?

Last edited by 13th Man on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Part of it is conditioning. Part of it is team building. Part of it is discipline.

Scott isn't going to kill the players. However, he's going to let them know he's serious.

If they perform well, they'll be fine. If they slack off during the season, they know what type of practice will be waiting for them to get them back focused again.

Too much whining in this thread.

Agreed. I'd say that very little of it is conditioning, honestly. There's an entire staff of people that's there to serve that purpose. It's about first impressions.

GT dropping knowledge once again

GT is a coach, as am I. We know that there is one chance for a new coach to grab the attention of a team, and if you blow that, things become much harder.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

That is what I've been saying all offseason long. Lin should be starting and Nash should be getting second unit duties due to Lin being more effective on the defense and nash would be facing the other team's second string pg. If people want this team to give up a lot of points in the first quarter then have nash-kobe-boozer start at the same time.

Last edited by Rivershow on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

I think Day 1 was to assess general fitness levels. If players are not in shape, the training staff and coaches know that Player X needs help and improvement.

Now, if we are on Day 10 and all they've done are wind sprints, we may have a problem. But first day is usually to see where everyone's baseline is at. Perhaps they will check in towards the end of camp to see how players have progressed.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Day 1 was to assess general fitness levels. If players are not in shape, the training staff and coaches know that Player X needs help and improvement.

Now, if we are on Day 10 and all they've done are wind sprints, we may have a problem. But first day is usually to see where everyone's baseline is at. Perhaps they will check in towards the end of camp to see how players have progressed.

This makes sense. Also note that coach Scott advised Kobe and perhaps Nash to shut it down for the older player's safety. Not a big deal imo.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

For instance, old school soccer (football) coaches would take their team to the mountains or to a place with extreme heat in the pre-season, and would make them run for days, for conditioning purposes.

Nowadays, because the players are very well payed professionals and usually take good care of themselves, it is seen as a unnecessary measure, unless they all are out of shape. If only a couple of them are, you put them in the gym and they do specific training to get in shape, instead of or after regular training.

Modern sports training techniques promote a cohesive training style, you draw exercises where most of the skills needed are the ones that you will use in games. Cause that's the goal of training after all, to prepare you to play the game, so you put the players in very similar situations as the ones they'll face in competition.

The bits i saw from todays training consisted of a very segmented and "old school" regime of exercises. Even when the players were shooting from long range they were in some kind of military column, and rigid positioning. That, i dont like, cause it just smells outdated to me.

Edit: I do acknowledge that even conditioning heavy coaches tend to do most of that heavy lifting in the pre-season, yes. But i would argue that even that is kinda unnecessary.

I see that applying concepts of psychology, as important as any system, is being ignored.

In a modern system you use the same concepts as you basically use in a psychology session, you begin with very basic conceptual exercises, and you gradually step up the difficulty, while you monitor and make sure the players master all of them. Then you integrate those parts with playing drills, let the players fill the blanks, correct them, learn with them and so on.

This isn't the army, the players are not so naive anymore, so you gotta respect their intelligence. You conquer them by being a great basketball mind, an alpha dog doesnt have to say he is one nor mark a position. He is or he is not one. The players will recognize it immediately.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
NYClakerguy wrote:

Are you being serious or sarcastic. Hopefully it's the latter or it's gonna be a long season of laker fans complaining about stupid crap.

You better get ready for it. It's a given that it's coming.

God forbid when we lose the first few games! Scott is not an alchemist he cannot change nickel into gold. Hope people understand that he has actually inherited a worse team than last year.

I doubt many would agree with you.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Part of it is conditioning. Part of it is team building. Part of it is discipline.

Scott isn't going to kill the players. However, he's going to let them know he's serious.

If they perform well, they'll be fine. If they slack off during the season, they know what type of practice will be waiting for them to get them back focused again.

Too much whining in this thread.

Agreed. I'd say that very little of it is conditioning, honestly. There's an entire staff of people that's there to serve that purpose. It's about first impressions.

GT dropping knowledge once again

GT is a coach, as am I. We know that there is one chance for a new coach to grab the attention of a team, and if you blow that, things become much harder.

yeah, the difference is in that this arent high school kids. We're talking about professional nba players and professional coaches. There's a big difference there.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

In a modern system you use the same concepts as you basically use in a psychology session, you begin with very basic conceptual exercises, and you gradually step up the difficulty, while you monitor and make sure the players master all of them. Then you integrate those parts with playing drills, let the players fill the blanks, correct them, learn with them and so on.

This isn't the army, the players are not so naive anymore, so you gotta respect their intelligence. You conquer them by being a great basketball mind, an alpha dog doesnt have to say he is one nor mark a position. He is or he is not one. The players will recognize it immediately.

You realize that not one person who talked about the drills sounded unhappy yesterday right? It's like you are trying to create a problem that's not there and you are annoying lakers fans on this forum who are trying to enjoy the first few days of lakers basketball before people are complaining about real issues.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Fruscas wrote:

Getting through a practice like that is a great team-building opportunity.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 5 of 30
Jump to: