Lakers Training Camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Lots of stuff up on trudell and Lakers Twitter. Keep em coming guys
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerRush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Judging from that video, looks like the 1st team is preliminary Kobe, Nash, Hill, Boozer, Johnson
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
https://vine.co/v/Omvh7amw625
https://vine.co/v/OmvhV3a5Mad

anpherknee wrote:
http://instagram.com/p/tn426hw2_s/

I'm so ready for Kobe to prove people wrong this season.

Pau Gasol is nice
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersgirl wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

anpherknee wrote:
http://instagram.com/p/tn426hw2_s/

I'm so ready for Kobe to prove people wrong this season.
Father time will be defeated.......for now.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Kobe looking good
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

emz83 wrote:
fun news:

Quote:
5-on-5 action at the end of today's first session. https://t.co/weO2PPBa7p

and

Quote:
Mike Trudell @LakersReporter · 11m 11 minutes ago
Scrimmage to end practice is: (Purple) Nash, Kobe, Johnson, Boozer and Hill; (White) Lin, Clarkson, Young, Davis and Sacre.

Hard to see in the vid, but was that a block from behind by Jeremy Lin?
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Well that didn't take long. TBH though, I don't know where Kelly fits on this team.

Is that because he's White Kray? LOL ! Just playin man.

Seriously IMO he's gonna be a great option.
Legitimate Stretch 4 for whenever Byron wants to go away from the power ball.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Kobe looking good

lol

Last edited by anpherknee on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
emz83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
emz83 wrote:
fun news:

Quote:
5-on-5 action at the end of today's first session. https://t.co/weO2PPBa7p

and

Quote:
Mike Trudell @LakersReporter · 11m 11 minutes ago
Scrimmage to end practice is: (Purple) Nash, Kobe, Johnson, Boozer and Hill; (White) Lin, Clarkson, Young, Davis and Sacre.

Hard to see in the vid, but was that a block from behind by Jeremy Lin?

Well it was a short(er) pale dude with Lin's hair, so the chances are good.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Part of it is conditioning. Part of it is team building. Part of it is discipline.

Scott isn't going to kill the players. However, he's going to let them know he's serious.

If they perform well, they'll be fine. If they slack off during the season, they know what type of practice will be waiting for them to get them back focused again.

Too much whining in this thread.

Agreed. I'd say that very little of it is conditioning, honestly. There's an entire staff of people that's there to serve that purpose. It's about first impressions.

GT dropping knowledge once again

GT is a coach, as am I. We know that there is one chance for a new coach to grab the attention of a team, and if you blow that, things become much harder.

yeah, the difference is in that this arent high school kids. We're talking about professional nba players and professional coaches. There's a big difference there.

These are professional NBA players and professional coaches who are interacting together in their respective NBA capacities for the first time, constructing an environment/dynamic. There's a 4-tiered dynamic at play here.

1) Head Coach
2) Team Captains
3) Assistant Coaches
4) Foot Soldiers

I am not a huge Byron Scott fan, but as I said during the coaching search, I think that he's a good fit for this particular team, in large part because of how he fits into this hierarchy. There is no player is more well-suited to his Riley-esque demands better than Kobe Bryant, who is essentially the sole leader amongst the players, with Nash playing a minor role. I can't speak for the 3rd tier (assistant coaches), but the foot soldiers will be getting the same "adapt or die" message from both Kobe & Scott. I simply don't foresee Kobe complaining about the practices being too intense. I think he loves this (bleep).

The Foot Soldiers don't have much leverage because after Kobe, there isn't much of a talent discrepancy between the other starters and backups. None of them are essential components. If you don't buy in, someone's going to get your PT, and you're not so much better than the next guy that it poses much of a problem. And on a roster with few long term contracts, getting PT is very important.

Scott wouldn't work in many environments, but the ingredients are there for him to be successful here. The first part of that is establishing culture. Just as is the case with schemes, you can win with a multitude of approaches. That's the beauty of basketball. The hardass, the guru, the tactician, the "players coach"...all of them can win. What's most important in implementing that, IMO, is continuity throughout your leadership structure, where everyone receives the same message. And I believe that to be true in the pros just as it is on other levels.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Some of these guys are going to have career seasons because of what Byron is putting them through in practice. everyone in the NBA is talented and a lot of the times the only difference comes down to who is the better conditioned athelete.

i am behind Byron Scott 100% and if the players on this team can't get behind what he's doing we need to get player in here that can. In order to change the culture of this franchise all fans need to get behind what Byron is doing. I'd rather watch a team full of no name scrubs out there playing gritty defense and working hard everyday.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:

CHRISTYLE70 wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Yeah, what i thought it was going to happen is happening already. B-Scott is a coach directly sent from the 80's. well...i wish him and the players luck. I dont dig this outdated methods at all, cause i dont believe in their efficiency

What part of the practice did you see that was from the 80's? Every team runs suicides. Thats a basic part of basketball conditioning.

In fairness, if what you are saying were true, then Kobe Bryant wouldn’t have said just yesterday that this is the most running he has ever done in his entire 19 year career. Thus, this level of running is clearly not “basic basketball” training by any stretch of the imagination.

Personally, I don’t mind some running to build conditioning, but I hope Byron also learned from Pat Riley that working guys too hard directly leads to injuries … you know, like the hamstring injuries that cost us what would have been the first 3 peat in our franchise history (and now Ryan Kelly). Not saying I blame Byron for Kelly’s hammy or that I even disagree with his methods - these injuries can happen at the start of any training camp - but don’t become Pat Riley 2.0 just because that’s what Pat did. Have a method to every bit of madness you put players through, so that while injuries can result, they are not due to nonsensical / unnecessary training.

My personal preference is that they also focus heavily on basics and fundamentals. It’s what Phil always did and any coach with a 55% championship winning percentage, is a guy I want to emulate.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

^ Yeah, I think part of the conditioning piece, is also about discipline and not just for the conditioning.

It's about listening to the coach and doing what he says and also, learning to deal with adversity and challenges and powering through challenging times.

The players these days would rather sit back on the court and chew gummy bears and draw up plays on paper or an iPad.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:

WE MAY HAVE BAGGED ON THE TRAINING STAFF THE PAST COUPLE SEASONS, BUT THEY LOOK WORLD CLASS IN HOW THEY HANDLED THE MOST IMPORTANT INJURY. omg Kobe looks fricking great.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2014/10/01/141001practiceBryantmov-3394097/?cid=TW
Kobe interview from after practice today. In one of the final questions, he optimistically retracts a statement that he made just a couple days ago, in terms of the biggest physical adjustment needing to be on the defensive end, saying something like "yea im not worried about that anymore, i feel great, i feel like me".
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
WE MAY HAVE BAGGED ON THE TRAINING STAFF THE PAST COUPLE SEASONS, BUT THEY LOOK WORLD CLASS IN HOW THEY HANDLED THE MOST IMPORTANT INJURY. omg Kobe looks fricking great.

Oh Yeah!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2014/10/01/141001practiceBryantmov-3394097/?cid=TW
Kobe interview from after practice today. In one of the final questions, he optimistically retracts a statement that he made just a couple days ago, in terms of the biggest physical adjustment needing to be on the defensive end, saying something like "yea im not worried about that anymore, i feel great, i feel like me".

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

everything coming out sounds great and looks promising. can't wait to see the product on the court. a new coach and a ton of new players means there will be a long process before the team is clicking and firing on all cylinders, so I'm going to be patient in evaluating the team, but man, at the same time I can't wait.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Nice to see Kobe elevating on his jumpshots.

Seems like he hardly had any lift on them when he returned last year.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LakersTV ‏@LakersTV 9m9 minutes ago
VIDEO: @kobebryant jumpers, @SteveNash dishes & more highlights from today's 5-on-5 - http://on.nba.com/1xDlDsj

holy cow Kobe+Nash both look great
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Nice to see Kobe elevating on his jumpshots.

Seems like he hardly had any lift on them when he returned last year.

Yep. Huge difference.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
emz83 wrote:
re:basic drills

While I don't have basketball experience, I do know that all the sensei's at my dojo and all the higher level musicians swear by the basics. As a musician at the highest levels, you practice your scales at the beginning of every session and sometimes dedicate entire sessions to get fingering right, muscle memory beyond muscle memory. Martial artists at the highest levels, practice how to punch/kick until it's polished and then you practice it a thousand, a hundred thousand, a million times more until it's muscle memory; you're building in stamina so that even when you're tired you can still do that motion, as unconscious as to be like breathing, as basic as your heartbeat. Where you can still punch, or in this case run, even when you feel like falling over and dying. (or have a flu )

Because when crunch-time comes you don't have time to concentrate on the basics. You can't be fighting your body to run when you need to pay attention to what your opponent is doing and looking for openings; what I mean by fighting your body to run is that you don't have the time to yell at your body to do something though fatigue. And it's a constant fight to keep pushing further and further the limit where you need to 'coach' your body.

TLDR: I find that the people who tend to lean on drills and the basics are usually the beginners and the masters. The separation between amateurs and masters is an integration of (and constant return to) the fundamentals.

Along these lines, I really appreciate what I've seen/heard so far of training camp and from Scott.

Excellent post and something along the lines of what I was going to post. Scales aren't Jazz, but every Jazz player spends a couple of hours a day going over them. And in any skill really fundamentals are really important to keep at no matter the level. In basketball, conditioning works exactly as you say about martial arts.

I'll second that. Good read, excellent insights.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
LakersTV ‏@LakersTV 9m9 minutes ago
VIDEO: @kobebryant jumpers, @SteveNash dishes & more highlights from today's 5-on-5 - http://on.nba.com/1xDlDsj

holy cow Kobe+Nash both look great

Just Wow!
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe will be fine this upcoming season. In his historic 35 ppg he is not as explosive(he has troublesome knees that needs to be warm up) compare to his later years of 2007-2010 and 2012-2013, but he is deadly with his mid range/fade away/jump shot in 2006-2007. In 2006-2007 season, you will never see much explosive plays from Kobe, but he is deadly with his mid range game/fade away game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 7 of 30
Jump to: