Will the Lakers improve defensively compared to last year?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Will the Lakers improve defensively compared to last year?

The Lakers have lost Farmar, Gasol, Kaman, Meeks, Marshall and Bazemore from last years roster.

The Lakers have added Boozer, Lin, Randle, Davis, Clarkson and Ellington to this years roster so far. (Am I missing anyone?)

Also the Lakers did not have the services of Kobe or Nash pretty much all of last year so they will be like virtual additions to this years team (one sort of cancels the other out ).

Meeks was the best defender by far of the players the Lakers lost from last years team. Not that much can be said of the others leaving the team really.

Boozer is a better defender than Gasol or Kaman in the front court.

Lin is arguably a better defender than Farmar or Marshall in the back court.

So how well will the Lakers be defensively this year considering they ranked #28 last year in NBA Team Defensive Efficiency?

Where do you think the Lakers will rank this coming year?

Discuss....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I doubt if they could be any worse than they were last year.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Lakers improve defensively compared to last year?

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
The Lakers have lost Farmar, Gasol, Kaman, Meeks, Marshall and Bazemore from last years roster.

The Lakers have added Boozer, Lin, Randle, Davis, Clarkson and Ellington to this years roster so far. (Am I missing anyone?)

Also the Lakers did not have the services of Kobe or Nash pretty much all of last year so they will be like virtual additions to this years team.

Meeks was the best defender by far of the players the Lakers lost from last years team. Not that much can be said of the others leaving the team really.

Boozer is a better defender than Gasol or Kaman in the front court.

Lin is arguably a better defender than Farmar or Marshall in the back court.

So how well will the Lakers be defensively this year considering they ranked #28 last year in NBA Team Defensive Efficiency?

Where do you think the Lakers will rank this coming year?

Discuss....

There is a big possibility that Lakers will have good improvement defensively. Charlotte Hornets have a huge leap defensively when they changed their coach with basically the same roster.

Look at this,Spurs have a 38 years old Duncan and a 37 years old Ginobli, and yet they are a good defensive team.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject:

How is this even a question? There's no where but up from Antoni....that is unless Paul Westhead and/or Doug Moe are still in the league.

Kiss my Converse.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Exactly. I think just by simply putting an emphasis on defense will make a tremendous difference. I predict we'll be somewhere in the middle of the pack defensively this year.

Kiss my Converse.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:

From last year? Of course.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject:

will probably be better, if only because we really can't get much worse and Byron will emphasize defense. that said, I expect we'll still be one of the worst defensive teams in the league because we really have very little defensive talent on the squad
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Pretty much. I expect them to be better.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject:

A whole lot of discussion about DEFENSE in this Q&A with Head Coach Byron Scott

Some highlights:

Byron Scott: .... Defensively, we’ll start to work from day one, because that’s something we have to get better at right away, and we will.

Mike Trudell: .... what did you take from watching the games that could be improved upon defensively regardless of talent?

Scott: Defensive philosophy has to be constant. This is no knock on Mike at all, but there were games where they were playing defense one way, and other games where they played it differently. When I go into the season, there are three ways we’re going to guard side pick and rolls, for example: we’re going to down it, hard show, or red it (trap). If you do it from day one, guys get better at it because they’re working on it every day in practice. I want to establish those things day-to-day, and if you do that, it takes a lot of the thinking away and gets back to reacting.

Mike Trudell: You can play defense differently if you have a rim protector that you don’t really have on the currently shaped roster.

Scott: We’ll have a plan, but it will depend some on how guys play in training camp. With that said, we can't force everything defensively to (Jordan) Hill or (Carlos) Boozer, so we'll focus more on forcing guys to certain places and corral them instead of trying to block shots. What I see during the first few days of practice will make an impact there, so we can have an identity on that end of the floor.

Mike Trudell: How do you specifically play screen/roll differently with a team that doesn’t have a true rim protector?

Scott: You’re going to have to play a lot of help the helper to keep the ball from getting into the paint. That’s a lot of rotations, a lot of help, a lot of stunt and recover, where the guy with the ball sees one-and-a-half or two defenders every single time. You want to clog up the paint as much as possible and make the opponent take contested jump shots.

Mike Trudell: It depends how we define the term, but are you a player’s coach?

Scott: .... Defensively, I’m pretty demanding because I want it done a certain way and I want guys to compete every night and get after people. If we defend and rebound the floor, we get to run up the floor, and that’s the fun part....

Mike Trudell: Nick Young really did exceed expectations last season, averaging 17.9 points per game mostly off the bench, never quitting, at least working hard on defense. I know you like Swaggy P.

Scott: I liked how he played and how he was giving full effort on the defensive end, and I really love his energy. He cared about winning. He changed his whole persona, what people thought of him. I’d never seen him play defense before. I also saw him being unselfish at times where he made passes. I do love Swaggy coming off the bench.

Mike Trudell: Anything else you want Randle to get accomplished before camp starts?

Scott: .... We're already putting him through a lot of defensive things right now to get him going.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

141+ points allowed in three games...yeah I think improvement is a safe bet.
Spill512
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Ed Davis is the only one on our roster with the potential to be classified as a "good defender," aside from maybe the rookies where its up in the air, but I think just by the nature of having D'Antoni out we'll improve.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

OK, but how much better?

DOES ANYONE WANT TO TAKE A STAB AT RANKING THEM FOR NEXT YEAR (keeping in mind they ranked #28 last year in NBA Team Defensive Efficiency)?

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

OK, but how much better?

DOES ANYONE WANT TO TAKE A STAB AT RANKING THEM FOR NEXT YEAR (keeping in mind they ranked #28 last year in NBA Team Defensive Efficiency)?

I say 22nd. Better next year once we get a true center.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

OK, but how much better?

This sounds like a good assesment. With my homer glasses I see 17-19 being possible with a consistent system and trust.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

OK, but how much better?

This sounds like a good assesment. With my homer glasses I see 17-19 being possible with a consistent system and trust.

We have younger legs but also possibly Nash boozer and Kobe starting too.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Before the injury, Farmar played pretty good on-the-ball defense. By the time he came back the losses had taken their toll and just about everyone had given up defensively.

I honestly don't know what Byron is talking about in regards to Swaggy's D. He took some charges late in games, but other than that nothing stands out, certainly not like Meeks' balls to the wall effort.

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

OK, but how much better?

We have younger legs but also possibly Nash boozer and Kobe starting too.

Exactly. I don't know how you contain dribble penetration with those two starting.

Transition D should be markedly better without Pau's loafing.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject:

We'll be better defensively than last year, but we won't be a good defensive team.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
We'll be better defensively than last year, but we won't be a good defensive team.

So what do you think ringfinger.... is there a chance that the Lakers can possibly improve to "at best average" this year defensively?

.... that is considering they happened to be 3rd worst in this category last year....

LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

OK, but how much better?

So then perhaps with our "homer glasses" at work we might be able to say the Laker could possibly improve to "average at best" defensively.

LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Spill512 wrote:
Ed Davis is the only one on our roster with the potential to be classified as a "good defender," aside from maybe the rookies where its up in the air, but I think just by the nature of having D'Antoni out we'll improve.

Wayne Ellington is another a good defender.... others that are pretty good defenders are Johnson and perhaps Hill...

LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject:

A lot of people in the Will the Lakers be a good three point shooting team? thread think the Lakers will drop from 3rd best 3 point shooting team last year to "at best average this year" in 3-pt shooting this year.....

.... so with that in mind considering the Lakers were ironically ranked the exact opposite in defense last year as the 3rd worst in defensive efficiency as contrasted to the fact that last year they were the 3rd best three point shooting team (see link above)....

.... Could the Lakers end up improving from 3rd to last in defense to "at best average this year" in defensive efficiency just as so many feel they will drop in the very same manner in 3-pt shooting?

Here we go on the very first page of this topic:

EchoZulu wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Exactly. I think just by simply putting an emphasis on defense will make a tremendous difference. I predict we'll be somewhere in the middle of the pack defensively this year.

Is there a consensus developing that the Lakers might come close to perhaps improving equally in defense as they will drop-off in 3-pt shooting according to this thread and another on the topic of 3-pt shooting?

.... If so it would end up very ironically sort of balancing things out between the two team stats of 3-pt shooting versus defense it would seem....

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

So what do you think ringfinger.... is there a chance that the Lakers can possibly improve to "at best average" this year defensively?

.... that is considering they happened to be 3rd worst in this category last year....

It's doubtful. We lack size inside and speed on the perimeter. And not one lockdown defender to carry us defensively. I'm not sure we have a single player that poses a matchup nightmare to any opposing offensive player.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It's doubtful. We lack size inside and speed on the perimeter. And not one lockdown defender to carry us defensively. I'm not sure we have a single player that poses a matchup nightmare to any opposing offensive player.

Your probably right, but then you would agree that "defense" impact is inherently more critical to overall team success as opposed to the impact of 3-pt shooting so with that in mind a more moderate improvement defensively in general will have a greater positive impact overall than the negative impact of an even worse decline in 3-pt shooting as far as getting W's is concerned, right?

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Your probably right, but then you would agree that "defense" impact is inherently more critical to overall team success as opposed to the impact of 3-pt shooting so with that in mind a more moderate improvement in defensively in general will have a greater positive impact overall than the negative impact of an even worse decline in 3-pt shooting as far as getting W's is concerned, right?

Sure. That's in part why I project a 40% improvement in season over season win totals.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: