Kobe Bryant 'dominating', could play more SF
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who Takes The Blame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Kobe Bryant 'dominating', could play more SF

Quote:
Lakers coach Byron Scott said that Kobe Bryant may play more small forward with Nick Young (thumb surgery) out until at least mid-November.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/239301/kobe-bryant-dominating-could-play-more-sf
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

I love Kobe at SF! Good move!
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe has been operating below the FT line extended during recent practices, where beat writer Mike Trudell says he's been "dominating."

Exactly how he should be used. Good to hear.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Quote:
Kobe has been operating below the FT line extended during recent practices, where beat writer Mike Trudell says he's been "dominating."

Wes starts. Kobe sops up some minutes at the SF. Means likely Ellington, Clarkson will have to step up at the SG backup spot.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Quote:

Wes starts. Kobe sops up some minutes at the SF. Means likely Ellington, Clarkson will have to step up at the SG backup spot.

I'm curious to see how much they have Kobe on the block and how much they have him on the wing. Nice to hear that he's not going to be up top. Leave that to Lin & Nash. If one of them goes down though, Kobe probably moves back up there.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

Makes sense. Good move by Scott.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I'm curious to see how much they have Kobe on the block and how much they have him on the wing. Nice to hear that he's not going to be up top. Leave that to Lin & Nash. If one of them goes down though, Kobe probably moves back up there.

you're right. BUt if it were me I'd let Clarkson run the 1 in that scenario and gain invaluable experience
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

Love it.

Low-post, Mid-post, High-post - that's exactly where he should be.

He'll be taking high % shots. It'll help us dictate the tempo. Its way easier on his body. Doubling in the post opens up tons of opportunities for cutters and off-ball screen actions.

It's the smart/correct basketball move.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Love it.

He'll be taking high % shots. It'll help us dictate the tempo. Its way easier on his body. Doubling in the post opens up tons of opportunities for cutters and off-ball screen actions.

Question will be how he fares against longer and stronger SFs like Kahwai, Batum, etc. They would probably guard him anyways if he was playing "SG." Regardless, moving him closer is better than having him handle up top and get to the rim. I think his footwork will help tremendously here.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

The one video I did see of Kobe he looked ready for anything. The question with Kobe or any other older player is the ability to play an 82 game schedule, there is no doubt in my mind after seeing just one video of Kobe that he still has his hops which surprised me.

Kobe is still Kobe he can play anywhere between PG and SF, he is a truly remarkable player. Kobe was missed last season by the entire NBA.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
B_P wrote:
Love it.

Question will be how he fares against longer and stronger SFs like Kahwai, Batum, etc. They would probably guard him anyways if he was playing "SG." Regardless, moving him closer is better than having him handle up top and get to the rim. I think his footwork will help tremendously here.

If Nash or Lin or initiating the offense, have Kobe play more off ball using those curls/screens, cutting, find the open seams, etc. Isn't that the Princeton? Read/React how the defense plays you
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

Perfect. Less ball handling on the perimeter and more tripple threat, high post action.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

Which is great and how he should be used now at this stage of his career, similar to Jordan. On a side note this is how Magic would of been used later in his career but we never got a chance to see it, Sedale would of ran the point more with Magic in the post.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Perfect. Less ball handling on the perimeter and more tripple threat, high post action.

Not that post play isn't physically taxing (particularly against bigger SFs), but Kobe handling the rock from the perimeter, then trying to score probably drains him more. Having Lin/Nash set him up is easier.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Kobe Olajuwon.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
B_P wrote:
Love it.

If Nash or Lin or initiating the offense, have Kobe play more off ball using those curls/screens, cutting, find the open seams, etc. Isn't that the Princeton? Read/React how the defense plays you

Yes. Scott says we will be running Princeton and pick and roll sets.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20140909/lakers-byron-scott-preaching-nba-championship-despite-challenges
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

you're right. BUt if it were me I'd let Clarkson run the 1 in that scenario and gain invaluable experience

I just have concerns about that.

1) He has to earn his PT. Just as we're doing with Randle, he's going to have to legitimately beat out Wayne Ellington for PT. One of the reasons that rookies get such little PT in the NBA, for the most part, is that they do stupid things, simply out of ignorance. That's why most coaches will give a less talented, but dependable vet run over them.

2) I don't think he's a PG. He's dynamic, but he's a different type of player than Nash or Lin. There would be a huge dropoff in terms of understanding how to get an offense going in the NBA, which effects everyone. I think Kobe gets the ball over him.

I'd love for him to earn his spot on the floor though. In the grand scheme of things, the success of guys like Clarkson, Randle, & Kelly are massively important to the Lakers long term hopes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

1) He has to earn his PT. Just as we're doing with Randle, he's going to have to legitimately beat out Wayne Ellington for PT. One of the reasons that rookies get such little PT in the NBA, for the most part, is that they do stupid things, simply out of ignorance. That's why most coaches will give a less talented, but dependable vet run over them.

2) I don't think he's a PG. He's dynamic, but he's a different type of player than Nash or Lin. There would be a huge dropoff in terms of understanding how to get an offense going in the NBA, which effects everyone. I think Kobe gets the ball over him.

I'd love for him to earn his spot on the floor though. In the grand scheme of things, the success of guys like Clarkson, Randle, & Kelly are massively important to the Lakers long term hopes.

Ahh so you see him more as a combo guard. I'd like to see him get a few mins, at least in the preseason, at pg to see if he looks comfortable.

I agree though if we lose Nash or Lin Kobe will undoubtedly peform de facto PG duties
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Ahh so you see him more as a combo guard. I'd like to see him get a few mins, at least in the preseason, at pg to see if he looks comfortable.

I agree though if we lose Nash or Lin Kobe will undoubtedly peform de facto PG duties

well, even WITH Nash, Kobe played PG (under MDA too).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

That was because Nash wasn't able to really play. He was a shell of himself and couldn't even bring the ball up against full court pressure sometimes
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

That was because Nash wasn't able to really play. He was a shell of himself and couldn't even bring the ball up against full court pressure sometimes

Sure. But Nash isn't younger, and his nerve issues could flare up again. Good thing we have Lin.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Sure. But Nash isn't younger, and his nerve issues could flare up again. Good thing we have Lin.

Yeah. Looks like we'll have to sign Price for the insurance factor alone
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Clarkson didn't become a PG until late in his college career, so your second point is a valid concern. He is still learning how to play the point, I think he is one that will get his own offense more than creating for others.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:

depends who's playing the wing next to him. If it's Wes, then Kobe's ball handling responsibility is unchanged. If it's Clarkson,Lin, or Henry; then ya, Kobe'll be handling the ball less on the wing. But ya know, he's guna operate mostly out of the post anyway.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Great move playing Kobe at SF. Now he wont get tired as much especially towards the end of games when we need him to take over the game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: