Kobe Bryant 'dominating', could play more SF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

3 guard lineup of nash, lin, and kobe? that's going to be interesting.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:

Well more than likely it will be bad defensively.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

Well more than likely it will be bad defensively.

Yep, looks horrible.

And Kobe at 3 should only be an occasional thing depending on match ups...the Young and Henry injuries take a toll... I'd like to save Kobe's body as much as possible, he's no spring chicken...
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

I like it. I'd consider starting Ellington while Swaggy is out. Gives us another shooter next to Kobe.

Hill
Boozer
Kobe
Ellington
Nash
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

This is something Phil tried to get Kobe to do years back, but Kobe resisted. In some ways, the injuries might be what it took to get Kobe down in the spot where he can be dominant for years to come if he retains his health.

FWIW, this is why Mitch has been seeking a true PG for so long. He wanted a guy to run the O and set Kobe up in his spots. Be his Pippen.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
I like it. I'd consider starting Ellington while Swaggy is out. Gives us another shooter next to Kobe.

Hill
Boozer
Kobe
Ellington
Nash

Johnson is our starting SF, for now. In any case it would be a backup for the second unit...
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Kobe Olajuwon.

More like Kobe Old Jordan

Kiss my Converse.
younggrease
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
This is something Phil tried to get Kobe to do years back, but Kobe resisted. In some ways, the injuries might be what it took to get Kobe down in the spot where he can be dominant for years to come if he retains his health.

FWIW, this is why Mitch has been seeking a true PG for so long. He wanted a guy to run the O and set Kobe up in his spots. Be his Pippen.

Phil didn't try to put Kobe in the post primarily because he was playing with 2 7 footers for most games. When given the opportunity Kobe seemed to enjoy playing in the post.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:

Hill
Boozer
Kobe
Ellington
Nash

Offensively, I like it. Hopefully Nash can stay relatively healthy enough to be used as a spot up shooter.

That looks like our slowest lineup overall though, and neither Hill, nor Boozer, are rim protectors, so layups galore. Haven't seen much of Ellington to judge his defense.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm conflicted by this thread.

Part of me hates downsizing at the 3 (or any position in general). But that is based on the success the lakers had in the past going big.

But the other part of me thinks the old way of doing things haven't been successful for us in recent years on the court.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's going to be doing a lot of this this season.

592 points away from passing Jordan into 3rd all time scoring.

At 20ppg, he'll get it done in 29 games. Likely sooner.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Kobe Olajuwon.

I hope Kobe better than Wizards Jordan if not oh well.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Kobe Olajuwon.

Yeah, me to; I saw a lot of that MJ and it was not pretty. Of course, don't look at his stats lines as that does not tell the story; MJ or Kobe can always score 20 pts., that's not the big deal.

Also, if we are able to keep Kobe away from taller, stronger SF's all the better for us. If he were 26 ok, but he's not. Let's not run him ragged...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Well, he's got that now in Nash and Lin, and even still, in the first preseason game, even Nash is giving it to Kobe right from the inbounds pass.

I thought Kobe was going to play in the post and Nash would get him set up there. They didn't do a lot of that. Maybe they'll try that more in game 2 but I think Kobe still wants that ball in hands to start the possessions.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Kobe Olajuwon.

I was making the comparison in terms of the way they work in the post. Kobe's no Olajuwon, that's for sure. The Wizard's Jordan was primarily a post-up/pull up jump shooting player. That's what I envision Kobe being for the rest of his career. I would imagine his days of just blowing by defenders from the perimeter are behind him.

I do, however, think Kobe will post better numbers and be more efficient than Jordan was with the Wizards.

Kiss my Converse.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers ran the triangle sets similar to what the Bulls ran from 96-98 and Kobe was attacking from the block and in the post opening up the outside for other players.

Byron is running similar sets with both the triangle and the Princeton which will set Kobe up from the block and mid range, they particularly liked the Pinch Post(Triangle). Kobe apparently has been watching a LOT of those older Jordan videos and was even palming the ball a lot and holding it off, Kobe doesn't do that, that often. It's obvious what kind of style he's going to have going into this coming season. What it will do is open up more opportunities for his teammates which means more assists and it will also increase his efficiency. Kobe is a career 45% shooter when the defense is all angled on him and he's doing all the ball handling among everything else. So Kobe should be much more efficient attacking from the block in iso's and if the defense over rotates that's gonna leave Nash open for three.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

Well, he's got that now in Nash and Lin, and even still, in the first preseason game, even Nash is giving it to Kobe right from the inbounds pass.

I thought Kobe was going to play in the post and Nash would get him set up there. They didn't do a lot of that. Maybe they'll try that more in game 2 but I think Kobe still wants that ball in hands to start the possessions.

That's not what happened lol. From jumpball whenever Nash was out there the Nuggets were full court pressing. Faried was covering Nash and he couldn't get free to receive the inbounds. Kobe came back to to get the ball then brought it up.

It was a smart game plan by Shaw and I think we'll see a lot of it from other coaches. Heck we saw it when Nash got injured. Lillard was full court pressing. The scouting report is out on Nash since he's so long in the tooth. Make him spend any energy he has beating the press or the press will successfully take the ball out of his hands and force Kobe to do it. Thereby expending more of his energy as well.

This is another reason why Lin should start
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

The Lakers also did that with the second unit, Clarkson would bring the ball up and give it to Lin who would initiate the offense.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Makes sense. Good move by Scott.

+1

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Good move. We need a scorer at the 3. Wes is a liability on offense. Should come off the bench. Then have young start at the two or lin until he gets back. Hoping a front court of randle hill and Kobe comes into its own - barring a trade. That to me is the best to hope for.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

but the thing is Kobe does NOT want to play SF. by watching the 1st couple preseason games, Kobe has been insisting on bring the ball up court even with Lin or Nash in the lineup. Kobe is as ball dominant as they come, he will not accept a role where he has to wait for the ball. so get this through your head, Kobe at SF will never happen.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
but the thing is Kobe does NOT want to play SF. by watching the 1st couple preseason games, Kobe has been insisting on bring the ball up court even with Lin or Nash in the lineup. Kobe is as ball dominant as they come, he will not accept a role where he has to wait for the ball. so get this through your head, Kobe at SF will never happen.

I'm not gonna put much stock in it until he keeps doing it during the regular season. Thing is there is no consistent starter with Kobe, all his favorite players are gone so it could be a little selfishness and the fact he has no real connection with any of these guys to trust their handling or setting up plays.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I don't see that. Kobe has only brought the ball up a few times so far this season. I think he can settle into a sf roll as he is fed the ball by Lin or Nash. This is not the old Kobe. He can't do everything anymore and I think he's smart enough to realize it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^ Kobe will never settle into a role player anything. He's going to be Scott's worse nightmare.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
^^^^^ Kobe will never settle into a role player anything. He's going to be Scott's worse nightmare.

I think out of necessity, Kobe will be a much willing passer/playmaker this year. Kind of ironic given he bristled at this very role (despite being fantastic at it) under MDA. But at his age/condition, he just can't be a pure scorer anymore without risking serious injury again or just burning himself out. And being more of a playmaker doesn't make him a role-player. He'll still have the heaviest usage rate on the team and be our leading scorer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: