OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD (***Remember to talk about BASKETBALL and NOT other fans/posters*** See pg.1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 457, 458, 459 ... 501, 502, 503  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If Ellis stays it might not be a good fit with Lin.

Don't know, can't just imagine.

Last edited by fafan on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PPP wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So long as Lin is not renounced by the Lakers he has a large cap hold hat virtually eats any available cap space.

What is the cap hold number to retain him?

He is currently making $8.3M and becomes a UFA this year. Would the cap hold be that $8.3M? Can they both agree to less?

Expecting Lin to get less this year but not by a lot. Could see him getting in the $6-7M range. Would the process be the Lakers have to renounce his cap hold, Lin becomes free agent then negotiate a new contract?

Thanks for any explanation given.

IMO Lin is a good PG option if Lakers do not draft or land a marquee PG free agent. Still amazed with the number of people still wanting Rondo in a Laker uniform.

I believe hus cap hold would be 12mil until he signs a new contract, with tge lakers or other team.

About 12.5m which would prevent lakers from signing a max player.

So it sounds like right after the draft, the first order of business will be to make a decision on Lin. Make an offer asap or renounce. Dont want the hold to limit options.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PPP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So long as Lin is not renounced by the Lakers he has a large cap hold hat virtually eats any available cap space.

He is currently making $8.3M and becomes a UFA this year. Would the cap hold be that $8.3M? Can they both agree to less?

Expecting Lin to get less this year but not by a lot. Could see him getting in the $6-7M range. Would the process be the Lakers have to renounce his cap hold, Lin becomes free agent then negotiate a new contract?

IMO Lin is a good PG option if Lakers do not draft or land a marquee PG free agent. Still amazed with the number of people still wanting Rondo in a Laker uniform.

I believe hus cap hold would be 12mil until he signs a new contract, with tge lakers or other team.

So it sounds like right after the draft, the first order of business will be to make a decision on Lin. Make an offer asap or renounce. Dont want the hold to limit options.

Can't imagine the Lakers will make any offer to Lin until they see what else better is out there in FA. So unless they've already scoped it out and decided no one they want to go after, I'm assuming they will renounce him. But I haven't chatted with Mitch in weeks so who knows.
PPP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PPP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can't imagine the Lakers will make any offer to Lin until they see what else better is out there in FA. So unless they've already scoped it out and decided no one they want to go after, I'm assuming they will renounce him. But I haven't chatted with Mitch in weeks so who knows.

Great, let us know after you chat with him. But I hope lin doesn't wait.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PPP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I can see an early offer because the PGs that are "better" also will command significantly more money. Going after a PG like Dragic will hurt our flexibility everywhere else.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PPP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Its really not that complicated. They can negotiate with whomever they want, and then renounce when they sign the guy or guys.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PPP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Its really not that complicated. They can negotiate with whomever they want, and then renounce when they sign the guy or guys.

Just so I am clear. If day one the Lakers and Lin agree to a contract for $6M per year. That is the number that goes against the cap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

^ Yes. If Lakers/Lin agree to 6m then 6m comes off the cap (depending on draft pick, around 20-23m; if no pick around 28m).

So if we have a top pick, we'd have around 14m or so if Lin is signed day 1 (which means we wouldn't do that since Lakers are looking to get a max player).
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^ Yes. If Lakers/Lin agree to 6m then 6m comes off the cap (depending on draft pick, around 20-23m; if no pick around 28m).

So if we have a top pick, we'd have around 14m or so if Lin is signed day 1 (which means we wouldn't do that since Lakers are looking to get a max player).

You have probably seen enough of my posts to know I am not confident they will land a significant max player. If they do I will rejoice with the rest of you.

I would prefer they use the cap space to re-sign guys like Lin and Davis. Maybe a couple other second tier free agents to round out the roster with all the young guys.

I am oversimplifying but as an example for this offseason I would prefer the Lakers signed Lin, Davis and Wilson Chandler then Love, Vander Blue and Roscoe Smith for the same $20M.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

You have probably seen enough of my posts to know I am not confident they will land a significant max player. If they do I will rejoice with the rest of you.

I would prefer they use the cap space to re-sign guys like Lin and Davis. Maybe a couple other second tier free agents to round out the roster with all the young guys.

I am oversimplifying but as an example for this offseason I would prefer the Lakers signed Lin, Davis and Wilson Chandler then Love, Vander Blue and Roscoe Smith for the same $20M.

I think you're barking up the right tree on some of the Lakers less than a max contingencies. Davis and/or Lin fit a lot of them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think you're barking up the right tree on some of the Lakers less than a max contingencies. Davis and/or Lin fit a lot of them.

Yup, operative word being "contingencies."
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Time to lock this thread... Mychal Thompson said that Lin is gonna seek 8/10M per that basically destroyed any chance of the Lakers trying to work a deal.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Time to lock this thread... Mychal Thompson said that Lin is gonna seek 8/10M per that basically destroyed any chance of the Lakers trying to work a deal.

Not you again? any link?
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject:

It was posted in a article when I searched the lakers news engine.
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
It was posted in a article when I searched the lakers news engine.

Yea I read the article, don't know where Thompson got his sources from, but I understand how that could very well be possible. I would argue Lin is the #2 FA pg this summer behind Dragic so I could see a team offering him a 4 year 40 mil type deal. I hope that we at least consider it especially if we are even entertaining the thought of Rondo. Unfortunately with Clarkson on a good rookie deal and Kobe unmovable (and probably unwilling to accept a bench role similar to Paul Pierce) there won't be enough minutes to justify paying Lin's market value so I don't see it as a very likely possibility as much as I like Lin on the Lakers
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject:

I see don't see any chance of Lin getting a $40M deal. That would essentially be saying that he has more value now than he did coming off of Linsanity. If anything Lin is a known entity at this point. He's a reasonable point guard, a low quality starter or a good point off the bench. He's not worth $10M a year though. He's a $6-7M a year player imo.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I see don't see any chance of Lin getting a $40M deal. That would essentially be saying that he has more value now than he did coming off of Linsanity. If anything Lin is a known entity at this point. He's a reasonable point guard, a low quality starter or a good point off the bench. He's not worth $10M a year though. He's a $6-7M a year player imo.

I'd have to agree with you at this point even though I think he has a bit more potential than displayed this year. I'm one of those that think he should opt for a shorter term contract somewhere in hopes of re-signing at better contract with the new CBA.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

Who knows? Nobody was think Lin could get 25M/3 years on 2012. That was 3 years ago, now $10M maybe like $8M on 2012.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

I find it funny that you constantly think it's time to lock a thread whenever you find anything on the internet that makes YOU think a scenario no longer works.

But you're always the one here that comes up with ridiculous scenarios.

That's why it's fun to have you here.

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

With the expected cap changes coming, you really can't compare past contracts with future ones. What was once expensive will be seen as a bargain next summer.

Locking Lin up at $10 mil a year for 4 yrs wouldn't be that bad if we didn't end up signing someone for the max this offseason.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

Definitely going to be interesting to see what the market price will be for Lin. And Davis too for that matter.

Just looked up some PG wages and found some interesting names/talent that seem to be near the reported Lin asking price.

How would you rate Lin amongst these other PGs? Salaries are not exaxt but rounded off and lumped together for discussion purposes.

$10 M- Holiday
$8 M - Jennings, Teague, G. Hill
$7 M - Calderon
$ 6 M - Jack, Vasquez.

Personally I would like to re-sign Lin. The $10 M seems a bit high to me. IMO around that $7M range would still be high but is reasonable compared to his peers.

Also takes into account the near $14M contracts of Dragic and some of the RFA contract offers.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

Reflex- this is likely lins chance for a big payday his agent is gonna milk it until Lin gets his last good contract of his NBA career what mychal Thompson said makes perfect sense and I think Lin knows his fans want him in a different uniform .. He will put up good stats playing for the sixers or the potential run and gun team with MDAs Nuggets.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

With the expected cap changes coming, you really can't compare past contracts with future ones. What was once expensive will be seen as a bargain next summer.

Locking Lin up at $10 mil a year for 4 yrs wouldn't be that bad if we didn't end up signing someone for the max this offseason.

I agree about the rising cap = discount, but I think that's in-built to the notion that Lin likely gets 5-7m/year offers.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

Definitely going to be interesting to see what the market price will be for Lin. And Davis too for that matter.

Just looked up some PG wages and found some interesting names/talent that seem to be near the reported Lin asking price.

How would you rate Lin amongst these other PGs? Salaries are not exaxt but rounded off and lumped together for discussion purposes.

$10 M- Holiday
$8 M - Jennings, Teague, G. Hill
$7 M - Calderon
$ 6 M - Jack, Vasquez.

Personally I would like to re-sign Lin. The $10 M seems a bit high to me. IMO around that $7M range would still be high but is reasonable compared to his peers.

Also takes into account the near $14M contracts of Dragic and some of the RFA contract offers.

All of those contracts were based off of old salary cap numbers. When it goes up, all of those are going to look small.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

I agree about the rising cap = discount, but I think that's in-built to the notion that Lin likely gets 5-7m/year offers.

When Dragic is off the table, I can see some teams offering him $10 mil.

I'm not sure if he takes a $10 mil offer though. I truly do believe that he'll take less money to go somewhere that he thinks he'll feel appreciated by the team. Whichever team can make him feel that they truly value his services may get a discount.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 457, 458, 459 ... 501, 502, 503  Next
Page 458 of 503
Jump to: