OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD (***Remember to talk about BASKETBALL and NOT other fans/posters*** See pg.1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 464, 465, 466 ... 501, 502, 503  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
When the Lakers have so many needs, it's just hard to use possibly 1/3rd of available cap space (assuming around 22m) on a backup PG.

I am allocating those cap dollars differently then most. I do not see the likelihood of using it on a max free agent. If they are able to - outstanding. But I am not seeing the reality of that happening unless it is overspending for flawed free agents.

Lakers are a mess. Why would any of the quality free agents choose the Lakers? Why would any of the quality RFAs not be matched by their current teams?

Also think the team building a foundation with the rookies and young guys is more critical then most. Much depends on getting and using the top 5 pick. Filling in the roster depending on that pick.

We have discussed this before. I have no issues with letting this season be a rebuilding year. Let the young players develop. Use the cap on re-signing players like Lin, Davis, Johnson and maybe Ellington. Perhaps enough left over to add another young second tier free agent to the mix.

Let this season play out then see who developed, who performed and which free agent can be lured in 2016. Lakers need a season of stability and chemistry for a change. Just my opinion.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
When the Lakers have so many needs, it's just hard to use possibly 1/3rd of available cap space (assuming around 22m) on a backup PG.

I am allocating those cap dollars differently then most. I do not see the likelihood of using it on a max free agent. If they are able to - outstanding. But I am not seeing the reality of that happening unless it is overspending for flawed free agents.

Lakers are a mess. Why would any of the quality free agents choose the Lakers? Why would any of the quality RFAs not be matched by their current teams?

Also think the team building a foundation with the rookies and young guys is more critical then most. Much depends on getting and using the top 5 pick. Filling in the roster depending on that pick.

We have discussed this before. I have no issues with letting this season be a rebuilding year. Let the young players develop. Use the cap on re-signing players like Lin, Davis, Johnson and maybe Ellington. Perhaps enough left over to add another young second tier free agent to the mix.

Let this season play out then see who developed, who performed and which free agent can be lured in 2016. Lakers need a season of stability and chemistry for a change. Just my opinion.

I do think he's in the Plan B/C range. But Lakers will exhaust the "Tier A" guys first, and that may take a while. Not sure Lin will sit idly by while the free agent cap space lake gets slowly drained.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
24 wrote:
I hope to God you guys are wrong about Brown being the primary backup. Seriously, you would go into the season with Clarkson and Brown as the primary PGs?

IMO Lin is actually a nice 1-2 PG combo with Clarkson. They were able to co-exist together even after Clarkson started. I have high expectations of Clarkson but he still has a lot to learn. I would rather see a viable PG combo splitting mpg then Clarkson playing major mpg. (30-35)

Lin's value drops if the Lakers lure a free agent PG. But even if they draft a PG/combo G then Lin still has value in the G rotation. Brown would make a nice depth player at the minimum if you like.

If Lin is interested, I have no issues if he is re-signed for a reasonable contract. Lin at $6-$7M interests me more then Dragic at $15M or Brown.

Brown is a SG with some ability to handle, but his strength is spot up shooting. I think if he makes the team it is as the 3rd SG.

I do think Lakers will go next season with Clarkson. As starting PG and Jabari as back up PG and even maybe R. Price as 3rd string PG... why not see what they can do (they'll be plenty cheap).
Lin is a known commodity that is now also known to not mesh with B.Scott or Kobe (warranted or not)

I see Brown as more of a 3rd SG too. Either he or Ellington would work for me.

Interesting you bring up the concept of "meshing" or team chemistry. Part of that meshing has to be with players and coaches having multiple season together. Not re-shuffling every season. That is how team grow and get better.

I have no clue of the interest of Lin or the Lakers to re-sign, but Lin could add some valuable experience off the bench if they go with Clarkson. Which I agree they do.

You make it sound bad to have a "known commodity" in Lin. I find that a positive. Teams need solid pros to come off the bench and stabilize a team. Or start when the situation calls for it. Guys like Lin, Steve Blake, Dunleavy , Bayless to name a few. Lakers need some stability.

It's a positive to have a known commodity. What I meant for Lin is unlike the unknown Jabari Brown, we know what Lin can do which will cost more money than Jabari --> which might not be worth it when we also know Lin doesn't mesh with Kobe/Scott.

Lin is a good player, starter quality for some team, back up for others. I just don't see him coming back to Lakers
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I do think he's in the Plan B/C range. But Lakers will exhaust the "Tier A" guys first, and that may take a while. Not sure Lin will sit idly by while the free agent cap space lake gets slowly drained.

It is this continuing Tier A plan than concerns me. As I said if it works awesome. Just skeptical it does unless for an overhyped and overpriced marquee name instead of a solid addition to a rebuilding team.

I would not expect Lin or any other free agent to wait around while the Lakers try to work out their fantasies and then scramble to assemble a team again.

As for Lin not working with Scott and Kobe. They had their moments of success over the long season. Working out any issues are what makes a team stronger.

My opinion differs then most of you. I would build this team differently then most seem to want. It would take time and patience. No quick fixes despite all the fantasy trades and free agent ideas that swirl around most Laker fan's heads. JMO
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

^ I totally understand. I think it's hard to skirt the line between predictive/prescriptive moves for the FO. We can have our own plans and such but if they don't align to what the FO likely does, then it's just our own opinion. I try to skirt that line as much as I can, but at the end of the day, they're just educated guesses and I can be totally off.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree with you.

I don't expect us to use the max slot unless we grossly overpay for someone.

I'd be happy with us establishing some stability and chemistry. Get the team looking like a team. Then after that we have a better chance at attracting the big names.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject:

http://solecollector.com/news/adidas-crazylight-boost-2015-jeremy-lin-lakers-pe/
purple.23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
http://solecollector.com/news/adidas-crazylight-boost-2015-jeremy-lin-lakers-pe/
hahaha. they're really going with that color combo?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

purple.23 wrote:
governator wrote:

Maybe it's a hint
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Guess Adidas figures they'll be able to sell more Lin kicks in the Laker color way now than wait 2 to 3 months and see where he ends up.
purple.23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Yumyumcha wrote:
Guess Adidas figures they'll be able to sell more Lin kicks in the Laker color way now than wait 2 to 3 months and see where he ends up.
they won't be available until july...
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Is Jeremy Lin the ideal backup to Clarkson?

I know a lot of people want to run Lin out of town. Lin wasn't able to co exist with Kobe, but as a 6th man can he thrive. I'm in the group that believes Jordan Clarkson is the man at PG. If this is the case, Clarkson will need a solid vet as a backup to avoid people like Ronnie Price and the kid with goofy hair being apart of the rotation. Lin could thrive as a traditional pg off the bench. Who else would be an upgrade? Lin should cost around 5m, who brings in that value at that price. Rondo can't shoot, and will get a lot more money.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Ideal? Heck no.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

It depends on what players we bring in. We may not have the money left over to sign him. I wouldn't mind it personally even though some of his fans can go overboard with criticizing other PGs in comparison to Lin.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
It depends on what players we bring in. We may not have the money left over to sign him. I wouldn't mind it personally even though some of his fans can go overboard with criticizing other PGs in comparison to Lin.
I figure we will either sign a Max level C or Wing depending on who we are able to draft (okafur, towns, mudiay, Russell, Winslow)
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Is Clarkson the ideal backup for Rondo?
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Delon Wright would be a nice complement.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
purple.23 wrote:
governator wrote:

Maybe it's a hint

Not bad looking. Pretty cool actually.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Is Clarkson the ideal backup for Rondo?

Why would the Lakers want to trade Clarkson to whatever team is stupid enough to sign Rondo?
We should keep Clarkson and use him in our starting line-up.
ChickHearnCourt
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Why doesn't Jeremy resign with the Rockets? They improved a lot this season.
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Jeremy Lin the ideal backup to Clarkson?

Sting wrote:
I know a lot of people want to run Lin out of town. Lin wasn't able to co exist with Kobe, but as a 6th man can he thrive. I'm in the group that believes Jordan Clarkson is the man at PG. If this is the case, Clarkson will need a solid vet as a backup to avoid people like Ronnie Price and the kid with goofy hair being apart of the rotation. Lin could thrive as a traditional pg off the bench. Who else would be an upgrade? Lin should cost around 5m, who brings in that value at that price. Rondo can't shoot, and will get a lot more money.

If Rondo makes more money than Lin this offseason, I will have lost all faith in merit-based compensation
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:

ChickHearnCourt wrote:
Why doesn't Jeremy resign with the Rockets? They improved a lot this season.

not really.

last year they were 54-28. this year they were 56-26. if they won 56 games last year, they still would end up 4th. this season, they got the 2nd seed.

so get past the smoke and mirrors. they got lucky with a Thunder team that lost Durant for large stretches and managed to finish one game ahead of the Grizzlies and Spurs, teams which I would bet money on to beat them in a series.

sometimes you need to be more lucky than good.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

I would really like this bench

C- Ed Davis
Pf- black or kelly depending on matchup
Sf- nick young- up to Byron to coach him to play discipline
Sg- brown- can spot up shoot
Pg- lin would be the leader of the bench...

Draft center of sf top 5 and sign a free agent 10m plus for the other starting spot. plus we have two picks for additional depth on the bench unit
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Jeremy Lin the ideal backup to Clarkson?

Sting wrote:

I mean I like Clarkson but his game going to be the same once Kobe is on the court?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 464, 465, 466 ... 501, 502, 503  Next
Page 465 of 503
Jump to: