OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD (***Remember to talk about BASKETBALL and NOT other fans/posters*** See pg.1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 501, 502, 503  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
Calm down there won't be any "crucial" moments this season lmao. You can't have crucial moments when you win 30 games

I didn't know ringfinger had a 2nd account on LG
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Lin + 12

Lin 6 fouls in 23 minutes..

Needs to play smarter defense.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

He's being more aggressive. Refs will adjust.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
Jeremy was awesome tonight. So refreshing to have another playmaker out there. He better be the starter come regular season.

QFT
i dunno what game byron scott is playing saying in the post game that he was just trying to get jeremy some minutes and rest ronnie price, AND the fact that he still hasn't given jeremy any practice time with the first unit.

You have to take things at face value. I think the coaching staff have laid out a strategy (from day 1) and, at this time, all signs point towards Lin as 6th man. Same goes for Davis.

you're not getting it. like airshooter said above, you KNOW that Lin is going to be playing SIGNIFICANT minutes with the first unit players--in particular kobe. he should definitely start, but let's forget that for the moment. regardless of whether or not he starts or finishes or whatever, he NEEDS PRACTICE TIME with the first unit running the offense and communicating on defense. he's going to be playing with them in crucial periods of the game A LOT.

Calm down there won't be any "crucial" moments this season lmao. You can't have crucial moments when you win 30 games

Time to put your name down for under on the over/under thread. Tanker.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Byron's defensive philosophy is to commit a lot of fouls...I do not kid.
Pgforlife
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Not to commit a lot of fouls but to play aggressively pushing the boundaries of physical defense and waiting for the refs to adjust to our play style so we can stay aggressive. The philosophy is sound and it does not mean that he wants us to foul.
What'sLinsanity?
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject:

Pgforlife wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Not to commit a lot of fouls but to play aggressively pushing the boundaries of physical defense and waiting for the refs to adjust to our play style so we can stay aggressive. The philosophy is sound and it does not mean that he wants us to foul.

Reminds me of the Sloan-coached Jazz teams.
CLUFan
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject:

Maybe we can move his expiring contract for a really player around the deadline.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Less 3s, more points per possession to teams via free throws. How could any advanced metrics folks not love this team?
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject:

What'sLinsanity? wrote:
Pgforlife wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

If you keep fouling, the refs will stop calling fouls. Ask the Celtics.
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:

CLUFan wrote:
Maybe we can move his expiring contract for a really player around the deadline.

What did you mean "a really player"?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Less 3s, more points per possession to teams via free throws. How could any advanced metrics folks not love this team?

I'm usually one of the first to get on Byron for not adapting to the modern NBA, but that FT quote was a bit out of context. He did say that they needed to do a better job of playing D without fouling right before he said it. The later point was about continuing to be aggressive on D>
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
What'sLinsanity? wrote:
Pgforlife wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

If you keep fouling, the refs will stop calling fouls. Ask the Celtics.

Of course you know that there's an old codicil in the NBA rulebook & it only applies to the Celtics.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

I'm usually one of the first to get on Byron for not adapting to the modern NBA, but that FT quote was a bit out of context. He did say that they needed to do a better job of playing D without fouling right before he said it. The later point was about continuing to be aggressive on D>

I think the idea is that if you actually play hard D, you will foul more (statistically)....and he's willing to accept a higher foul rate in exchange for increased defensive effort.
hopandskip
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:

you're not getting it. like airshooter said above, you KNOW that Lin is going to be playing SIGNIFICANT minutes with the first unit players--in particular kobe. he should definitely start, but let's forget that for the moment. regardless of whether or not he starts or finishes or whatever, he NEEDS PRACTICE TIME with the first unit running the offense and communicating on defense. he's going to be playing with them in crucial periods of the game A LOT.

Looks like the rotational approach was to have Price start the game and 2nd half, and then put Lin in later when Kobe was taking a breather (sitting along with the other starters), then bring back the starters while leaving Lin on the floor to finish the 2nd and 4th quarters. Seemed to work to some degree.

Maybe Scott thinks that he needs Lin out there with the 2nd stringers to have an offense at all when the starters sit. Plus, maybe it gives Lin time to study the game from the bench - and get 'mentally' warmed up - before he hits the floor.

Last edited by hopandskip on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

Pgforlife wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Exactly. Some of the best defenders in the NBA do things that would be considered fouls if done by others. But it's mainly because they have already established a rep and a "hard nosed defender".
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

It was the same interview after the first preseason, I believe, where he made the insane comment about being happy they took only 10 threes. Perhaps he was just putting a positive spin on everything that had just happened. Statistically there's almost no correlation between fouling on defensive plays and good defense. The Spurs and the Lakers have been #1 & 2 on this stat for years.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Pgforlife wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Exactly. Some of the best defenders in the NBA do things that would be considered fouls if done by others. But it's mainly because they have already established a rep and a "hard nosed defender".

yes, except we don't have any of those. asking a bunch of mediocre-to-poor defenders to be more physically aggressive can easily backfire.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Pgforlife wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

yes, except we don't have any of those. asking a bunch of mediocre-to-poor defenders to be more physically aggressive can easily backfire.

When you have someone without a rep as a defender, they will get fouls called on them for a while. But they can eventually establish the rep even if they don't currently have it.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

He's being more aggressive. Refs will adjust.

hope so, but this irritates me... a foul is a foul. if one player is known to play aggressive D, then he gets away with fouls while another player doesn't? i know that's the reality of things but that doesn't make sense.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Pgforlife wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

When you have someone without a rep as a defender, they will get fouls called on them for a while. But they can eventually establish the rep even if they don't currently have it.

Can they? The Jazz (Stockton mostly) weren't very athletic but got away with a lot of dirty tactics because they were sneaky and their coach taught them how to get away with it. If that's what Byron wants to do I'm all for it.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Hard to guard a guy like Isiah Thomas, one of the quickest PG around. He did make him work for those points.
ghostowl
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

Lin's defense has been top-notch preseason and the portland series. We all know he can play offense but damn, that's an eye-opener to me. I guess the media really bashed on him for no reason.

Forget Davis, Lin was the real steal of this off-season. I'm seriously seeing hope for the Lakers this year....
KOBEDAGREAT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

man a 100% lin is gonna be scary...

im luvin this new Lin with in yo face defense
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
jlinfan wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
Jeremy was awesome tonight. So refreshing to have another playmaker out there. He better be the starter come regular season.

QFT
i dunno what game byron scott is playing saying in the post game that he was just trying to get jeremy some minutes and rest ronnie price, AND the fact that he still hasn't given jeremy any practice time with the first unit.

You have to take things at face value. I think the coaching staff have laid out a strategy (from day 1) and, at this time, all signs point towards Lin as 6th man. Same goes for Davis.

Hard to get practice time when you are out with injury.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 501, 502, 503  Next
Page 6 of 503
Jump to: