OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD (***Remember to talk about BASKETBALL and NOT other fans/posters*** See pg.1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 501, 502, 503  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
In Lin's postgame interview, was that a veiled shot at Byron's offense? Talking about how tough the Rockets would be, he mentioned specifically "the way they space", and "their principles on offense". Keep in mind that Morey ball is pretty much the polar opposite of Byron ball.

Lin's sometimes overly honest in interviews, imo. But he doesn't seem the kind of guy to take shots, especially at Scott, who it seems he genuinely likes

I like Byron too. I just don't like his offense. Of course no one wants to be put in a situation where their potential is restricted.

I didn't mean "shot" it in the sense of undermining the coach- I meant it in the sense of being resigned to this particular situation.
lakerpr
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
ice_cold wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
In Lin's postgame interview, was that a veiled shot at Byron's offense? Talking about how tough the Rockets would be, he mentioned specifically "the way they space", and "their principles on offense". Keep in mind that Morey ball is pretty much the polar opposite of Byron ball.

Lin's sometimes overly honest in interviews, imo. But he doesn't seem the kind of guy to take shots, especially at Scott, who it seems he genuinely likes

I like Byron too. I just don't like his offense. Of course no one wants to be put in a situation where their potential is restricted.

I didn't mean "shot" it in the sense of undermining the coach- I meant it in the sense of being resigned to this particular situation.

I think he is talking about teammates not knowing where they should be. He did lots of directing last night and the rookies look confused sometimes.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
ice_cold wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Rockets offense is so great that they lost in the first round against the Trailblazers. I wouldn't worry too much about what he was saying. I think you can compliment a lot of different offenses in the league without thinking they are necessarily better.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Lin 6 fouls in 23 minutes..

Needs to play smarter defense.

Hard to guard a guy like Isiah Thomas, one of the quickest PG around. He did make him work for those points.

Why isn't anyone talking about how Price got torched by Bledsoe? That was the much bigger problem. jeremy D-ing up Bledsoe would have been much better. The whole thing about Ronnie Price being better to match up with other teams' starting 1s is ridiculous. Horry is high.

Honestly, it's much more to do with Boozer and Hill more so than Price. Lin runs with Davis and Randle who are both quick of foot and can recover better than the other 2 bigs I mentioned. It was really dumb how they were playing Bledsoe yesterday. Hill or Boozer's man would set the pick(mostly Hill's) and both Hill and Price would be so far up on Bledsoe. When Bledsoe turns the corner on the pick, Hill is basically stuck with Price and the guy setting the pick. Bledsoe is not a known jumpshooter yet they kept crowding him over and over. Bledsoe had an open lane to the basket everytime. The Suns played small and you just can't play Boozer and Hill together because Boozer's man stands at the 3 pt line and Hills man sets the pick which basically opens up the middle. Boozer and Hill are too slow to impede the guy driving to the basket and also get back to their man at the 3 pt line.

good point about booze and hill being collectively too slow...not sure why byron scott is stubbornly keeping these two together. much better IMO would be to pair either davis or randle with boozer or hill. i like davis/hill starting with booze/randle behind them.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

lakerpr wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
ice_cold wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

I think he is talking about teammates not knowing where they should be. He did lots of directing last night and the rookies look confused sometimes.

It was pretty funny watching him bring the ball up and basically directing every other player to a different spot from where they were on the floor.
JJack
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
Lakers 4 eva wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
bandiger wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Lin + 12

Lin 6 fouls in 23 minutes..

Needs to play smarter defense.

Hard to guard a guy like Isiah Thomas, one of the quickest PG around. He did make him work for those points.

Why isn't anyone talking about how Price got torched by Bledsoe? That was the much bigger problem. jeremy D-ing up Bledsoe would have been much better. The whole thing about Ronnie Price being better to match up with other teams' starting 1s is ridiculous. Horry is high.

Honestly, it's much more to do with Boozer and Hill more so than Price. Lin runs with Davis and Randle who are both quick of foot and can recover better than the other 2 bigs I mentioned. It was really dumb how they were playing Bledsoe yesterday. Hill or Boozer's man would set the pick(mostly Hill's) and both Hill and Price would be so far up on Bledsoe. When Bledsoe turns the corner on the pick, Hill is basically stuck with Price and the guy setting the pick. Bledsoe is not a known jumpshooter yet they kept crowding him over and over. Bledsoe had an open lane to the basket everytime. The Suns played small and you just can't play Boozer and Hill together because Boozer's man stands at the 3 pt line and Hills man sets the pick which basically opens up the middle. Boozer and Hill are too slow to impede the guy driving to the basket and also get back to their man at the 3 pt line.

good point about booze and hill being collectively too slow...not sure why byron scott is stubbornly keeping these two together. much better IMO would be to pair either davis or randle with boozer or hill. i like davis/hill starting with booze/randle behind them.

u r right. advanced stat do show Davis and Hill are the best 2 big men of the team, they hold 1st and 2nd place on OTrg(hill is 2nd, surprise!), ED is the best on DTrg and BLK%. on rebound they are the 1st and 2nd on ORB%, 2nd and 3rd on DRB%, while Hill is the best overall on TRB%. best DRB% is Randall perfect body guard beside booz in the 2nd unit, for BOOZ's TRB% is bad,bad and bad.
Gangsterbomb
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Was gonna create a new thread for this, but I can't since I'm a new member. Figured I'd post it in here since there's activity.

Here are the 2014-15 Lakers Preseason Stats. 2nd Link was compiled by myself. 3rd Link by Maknusia of Jeremylin.net.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/stats/LAL/los-angeles-lakers

http://i.imgur.com/PQmcU2a.png

http://i.imgur.com/fVWaTa6.jpg

(PS: Is there a way to link images on here without hotlinking?)
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
lakerpr wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
ice_cold wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

It was pretty funny watching him bring the ball up and basically directing every other player to a different spot from where they were on the floor.

Yeah, I think that was funny too. fiendishoc, I think you are reading too much into the tea leaves , Lin is a straight talker. Yes, ice_cold, I think he is honest to a fault. I actually like that ...
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JJack wrote:
lakerpr wrote:
kastuul wrote:
[url=http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1397/4829/original.jpg][/url]

With small sample size,
Ed Davis is the best player during regular season with PER 26.58.

Guess who the a better defender,
Lin's DRtg is 106.1 while Price and Clarkson are both 108.6

You are saying our eye test failed us? But there are thing not showing on stat sheet, people will say.

eye test fail at all times. if it goes too fast you didnt see it clearly nor you hear it from commentators, u probably completely ignore it and go on with the next thing happens. do you remember how many fast break easy basket Lin prevented? estimate a number and just go rewatch the games.

Defensively, remember Price has played with less than stellar defenders in the starting lineup the past few games where the team was regularly down at the 1st quarter.

Lin got to play primarily with Ed Davis.

or maybe it is that they had to play with price! don't forget that jeremy had to primarily play with the starting lineup in the first few preseason games before he got injured. (he played with first unit to close games and he started a game against GSW). IMO lin is better than price at the eye test as well. when i watched price vs. other teams' PG1s, he got burned every single time from curry to bledsoe to lillard. didn't play enough to evaluate vs collison. simply REPLAYING his one decent defensive play against bledsoe over and over and over does not make him any better of a defensive player. price doesn't SUCK at defense--he's okay. but this whole narrative of him being this defensive stopper is an ARTIFICIALLY CREATED idea. numbers don't lie. Lin's DRating is better than Price's and his PER completely slaughters price. it's a joke to compare the two players. Lin is much better and it's not close.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

repost

Last edited by DJ Slik on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
lakerpr wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
ice_cold wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

it was refreshing to see them actually LISTENING to him and running the offense. if you think about it, these lakers had NO BUSINESS almost winning last night's game against a fully healthy and available sacramento team that PLAYED their best players. but jeremy had them playing like a TEAM--which heretofore had been a challenge with the eager rookies and guys fighting for roster spots.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
lakerpr wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
ice_cold wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

it was refreshing to see them actually LISTENING to him and running the offense. if you think about it, these lakers had NO BUSINESS almost winning last night's game against a fully healthy and available sacramento team that PLAYED their best players. but jeremy had them playing like a TEAM--which heretofore had been a challenge with the eager rookies and guys fighting for roster spots.

I thought the team played well even without Lin on the floor. The offense had some good moments that doesn't require a good pg to make it work. But don't get me wrong. Lin definitely helped facilitate things nicely.
sammo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

from the eye test, i feel like jeremy positions himself to get team defense help better, and he puts himself in the position to alter opposing player's path in comparison to price. i think its all intentional, so that he can expend least amount of energy on defense without giving up points and allow him to expend more energy on offense.

we need more offensive flow imo.
kimboviper
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Gangsterbomb wrote:
Was gonna create a new thread for this, but I can't since I'm a new member. Figured I'd post it in here since there's activity.

Here are the 2014-15 Lakers Preseason Stats. 2nd Link was compiled by myself. 3rd Link by Maknusia of Jeremylin.net.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/stats/LAL/los-angeles-lakers

http://i.imgur.com/PQmcU2a.png

http://i.imgur.com/fVWaTa6.jpg

(PS: Is there a way to link images on here without hotlinking?)

Lin should be taking atleast 15 shots a game...

his D has been pretty good so far... as expected
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

sammo wrote:
from the eye test, i feel like jeremy positions himself to get team defense help better, and he puts himself in the position to alter opposing player's path in comparison to price. i think its all intentional, so that he can expend least amount of energy on defense without giving up points and allow him to expend more energy on offense.

we need more offensive flow imo.

One of the comments people have about Lin is that he likes to play help defence. When those did not turn out well, they contribute partially to his bad defense rep
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Lin should be the starter, ya, ya, I know it does not who starts, I disagree, playing your best players to start a game set the tone for remainder of the game.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

The Franchise Cycle, Starring Kobe Bryant and Jeremy Lin

http://profsl.sportsblog.com/posts/1185586/the_franchise_cycle__starring_kobe_bryant_and_jeremy_lin.html

Quote:
The Lakers have the serviceable pieces and star power to squeak into the playoffs. Really. The Suns did it last year behind the firepower of Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe, as well as various front-court pieces. Why not LA?

There's always hope at the end of the tunnel. Let's just not undervalue it.

My thought exactly. We will surprise a lot of people ...
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Moving this from Julius Randle thread

yinoma2001 wrote:
Maybe Scott is an Asian Tiger Coach/Dad? Lin is giving him an A- performance and he wants an A+?

Thanks for a good chuckle

Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
First, a crippled Nash is starting over Lin (insert excuse for why Nash was slated to start).

Then Price plays reasonably well (for a guy on a non-guaranteed contract fighting to stay in the NBA) and he's ahead of Lin.

At some point, Lin, who already has been documented with confidence issues must be asking what is the problem here.

Again, I think he'll easily play the most minutes at the PG position, but I wouldn't worry about Lin/Kobe. There's this thing called "staggering" rotations. Every team kind of does it.

I doubt Lin is worrying that much about it. Lin has already said that it's more important to finish games than start games. I'm sure he knows he will start eventually.

Agreed. I think he will say the right things of course. But a part of his validation comes from starting him, staggering him in various lineups to suit Kobe/Lin. It's the easy and right move to do rather than constantly reaching away from Lin in the starting lineup. I think he should start and finish games.

Price's performance will fall back to his norms and in that capacity, it's a 10-12 mpg ceiling. I don't want our starters to be playing 2-5 on offense or even 3 on 5.

I agree, I'm not worrying too much for now. Hopefully Scott does right when he announces the opening night starting roster.

I agree too. I think Lin's confidence has been shaken in Houston. From analysis of MJST and a few others, then thinking a bit about it, I am now convinced that Byron not starting Lin at the end of RS is due to a number of factors. I think he has his mind set in inserting Lin back into the starting line up after Lin get to 100% and / or when Nick come back. But it seems that he has no choice now but to have Lin start on opening night.
lakerpr
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject:

cheesysapien wrote:
Moving this from Julius Randle thread

yinoma2001 wrote:
Maybe Scott is an Asian Tiger Coach/Dad? Lin is giving him an A- performance and he wants an A+?

Thanks for a good chuckle

Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
First, a crippled Nash is starting over Lin (insert excuse for why Nash was slated to start).

Then Price plays reasonably well (for a guy on a non-guaranteed contract fighting to stay in the NBA) and he's ahead of Lin.

At some point, Lin, who already has been documented with confidence issues must be asking what is the problem here.

Again, I think he'll easily play the most minutes at the PG position, but I wouldn't worry about Lin/Kobe. There's this thing called "staggering" rotations. Every team kind of does it.

I doubt Lin is worrying that much about it. Lin has already said that it's more important to finish games than start games. I'm sure he knows he will start eventually.

Agreed. I think he will say the right things of course. But a part of his validation comes from starting him, staggering him in various lineups to suit Kobe/Lin. It's the easy and right move to do rather than constantly reaching away from Lin in the starting lineup. I think he should start and finish games.

Price's performance will fall back to his norms and in that capacity, it's a 10-12 mpg ceiling. I don't want our starters to be playing 2-5 on offense or even 3 on 5.

I agree, I'm not worrying too much for now. Hopefully Scott does right when he announces the opening night starting roster.

I agree too. I think Lin's confidence has been shaken in Houston. From analysis of MJST and a few others, then thinking a bit about it, I am now convinced that Byron not starting Lin at the end of RS is due to a number of factors. I think he has his mind set in inserting Lin back into the starting line up after Lin get to 100% and / or when Nick come back. But it seems that he has no choice now but to have Lin start on opening night.

Lin is getting better and better in the few preseaon games. If BS dosn't think Lin's performance last night deserves a starting role, it has to be something else on his mind.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject:

If this were another coach (cough, Kevin McHale) making the call, I might be worried. But I have absolutely zero concern about the starting issue.

I just trust Byron Scott as a coach who knows his way around the psyche of talented PGs, and what it takes to make them succeed. Lin looks as comfortable and confident as I have seen him. I credit a lot of that to Scott and Kobe.
Alloy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Lin's game has always relied heavily on P&R. He flourished when there was a capable and willing big to set solid screens. Tyson Chandler, J J, STAT, Omer are such players. When no one in Houston set screens for him, Lin's game suffered significantly and became very inconsistent.
Alloy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Whether Lakers would receive a wonderful season of contribution from Lin would significantly depends on how long Lin plays withs Ed. I have not seen Hill, Boozer, or Sacre playing the part of a roll man in the preseason.
JJack
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Alloy wrote:
Lin's game has always relied heavily on P&R. He flourished when there was a capable and willing big to set solid screens. Tyson Chandler, J J, STAT, Omer are such players. When no one in Houston set screens for him, Lin's game suffered significantly and became very inconsistent.

yet he improved on every aspect of his game and become more efficient according to advanced stat. so even without the big needed screen he played better. the only problem is "inconsistent”.
huangjs
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Alloy wrote:

So since then, he has developed Catch&Shot skill.
As you can see, his 3pt% has been increased year by year.
For sure, Lin will be more productive with P&R running.
JJack
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Alloy wrote:

yet he improved on every aspect of his game and become more efficient according to advanced stat. so even without the big needed screen he played better. the only problem is "inconsistent”.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 501, 502, 503  Next
Page 8 of 503
Jump to: