OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD (***Remember to talk about BASKETBALL and NOT other fans/posters*** See pg.1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330 ... 501, 502, 503  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SIT_GOODWIN_SIT!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

OK...everyone gets it. Lin can do this and/or Lin can do that to improve, Lin can be a bonafide (bleep) at times, etc. So before the rhetoric denigrates too much into the deeper depths of somber-dom:

Who says Lin hasn't worked on his TOs?
http://www.notzombies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Jeremy-Lin-Turnovers.jpg

Jeremy Lin Kung Fu
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject:

Honeybadger81 wrote:
KLS wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
maomao wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
maomao wrote:
I don't think we can read any thing from Lin's performance when he plays less than 30 min. Heck it's hard to evaluate anyone when the team is being played to lose games

You still can see how he approached the game and if he made the right plays...
Tbh with all of you, other than his three point shooting, I did not see Lin improved his game much compared with 3 years ago... Instead he lost some of his intangibles, confidence definitely played a factor...

I don't know how you compare now to 3 years ago. Its not like he didn't play last year. Now I won't say that he has improved from last year, but it's understandable given the system and circumstance

BTW, what is the "right" play for the Lakers anyways. I would say Lin is the only laker that actually tries to make the right plays.

I am talking the body of works including his Houston days...
If u look at klay's improvements, he improved every year, every year, he added something in his game... Curry's d improved a lot too.. And the teague, Lowry, Dragic, Isaiah Thomas ... They all improved a lot...
Jeremy fell behind

The other guys have consistency of playing time and mostly pg role. Lin's PT and role just keep on changing from NY to HOU to LA. He has been on a very short leash with his coaches which really rocks his confidence. He needs PT and a consistant role to improve.

Those are just excuses, nobody is ever in a perfect situation, everybody has to fight through it and excel...

This isn't always true. What I'm about to say isn't a knock on Clarkson but he had one good game one horrible game and another good game. His minutes stayed consistent which are over 30?. If my memory serves me correctly even when Lin was starting be didn't consistently get those minutes.

Last edited by mnstrdnk on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

Just give up on the Lin experiment folks.

The circumstances don't matter at this point. Neither does who deserves the blame.

Lin is not re-signing here next year. His only value to the Lakers is whatever they can get for him in a trade, or whatever knowledge/experience he can provide Jordan Clarkson
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

sf2099 wrote:
I agree with bws94 that Lin has regressed this year.

Obviously being yanked around by Kobe and Byron contributed a large portion of that but my two main disappointments are:

1. Ball handling - call it eye test or whatever, but he just does not seem that confident when he has the basketball.

2. Silly turnovers - I am not talking about bad passes because everyone makes bad passes; but some of Lin's turnovers are cringe-worthy, like the ones off his feet, etc.

I think his 3pt and FT percentages will bounce back up when a real coach can guide him

A team needs to be able to gel so players get a feel for where team mates' tendencies are in situations. This whole team besides being new but has not had consistant minutes with each other. It's laughable. I guess I'm trying to address the jumping then passing thing. Yeah its fundamentally bad but it can also be a tool when players know how to respond.
Charisma
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

The league corrected a box score error in last night's game. A Clarkson's missed layup was credited to Lin. The now corrected stat is Clarkson 8/19 and Lin 1/4 FGM/FGA.

Lin needs to shoot more to find his rhythm but I'm glad he was trying to get everybody involved and make everybody happy. I'm old school and prefer traditional PGs.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

mnstrdnk wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
KLS wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
maomao wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
maomao wrote:
I don't think we can read any thing from Lin's performance when he plays less than 30 min. Heck it's hard to evaluate anyone when the team is being played to lose games

Tbh with all of you, other than his three point shooting, I did not see Lin improved his game much compared with 3 years ago... Instead he lost some of his intangibles, confidence definitely played a factor...

I don't know how you compare now to 3 years ago. Its not like he didn't play last year. Now I won't say that he has improved from last year, but it's understandable given the system and circumstance

BTW, what is the "right" play for the Lakers anyways. I would say Lin is the only laker that actually tries to make the right plays.

If u look at klay's improvements, he improved every year, every year, he added something in his game... Curry's d improved a lot too.. And the teague, Lowry, Dragic, Isaiah Thomas ... They all improved a lot...
Jeremy fell behind

The other guys have consistency of playing time and mostly pg role. Lin's PT and role just keep on changing from NY to HOU to LA. He has been on a very short leash with his coaches which really rocks his confidence. He needs PT and a consistant role to improve.

Those are just excuses, nobody is ever in a perfect situation, everybody has to fight through it and excel...

This isn't always true. What I'm about to say isn't a knock on Clarkson but he had one good game one horrible game and another good game. His minutes stayed consistent which are over 30?. If my memory serves me correctly even when Lin was starting be didn't consistently get those minutes.

The lakers drafted Clarkson. They didn't draft Lin. The only reason Lin is even on the lakers is because of the Houston pick. So of course Lin is not a priority for the lakers. If Lin doesn't produce both in points and assist then he is of no use to the team. They would rather see Clarkson develop then trying to continue to develop Lin.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

ISOM wrote:

The lakers drafted Clarkson. They didn't draft Lin. The only reason Lin is even on the lakers is because of the Houston pick. So of course Lin is not a priority for the lakers. If Lin doesn't produce both in points and assist then he is of no use to the team. They would rather see Clarkson develop then trying to continue to develop Lin.

Why do people insist on perpetuating such a narrative?

Mitch wanted to get Lin twice before. He saw something in Lin's game that he felt would benefit the team.

Mitch did take advantage of a Rockets team that was pressed for time, so he got all he could. Lin's $15 million last year is prohibitive for most teams.

But saying that Lin is only here because of the pick is disingenuous.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

Mitch wanted to get Lin twice before. He saw something in Lin's game that he felt would benefit the team.

Mitch did take advantage of a Rockets team that was pressed for time, so he got all he could. Lin's $15 million last year is prohibitive for most teams.

Well lin has already shown the best of his abilities for this team. An inconsistent player who can get hot at times. Lin will never be the starting pg for this team going forward. I think the FO would rather see clarkson develop than continue to watch Lin try to develop into a reliable starter.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

Yeah I don't get the "we only got him for the pick garbage" That's such a stupid reasoning. He was a good player with upside and we had a lot of cap space. It was a no lose situation. He had an expiring contract also, and Houston had to free up money to try to sign Bosh.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject:

ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

Well lin has already shown the best of his abilities for this team. An inconsistent player who can get hot at times. Lin will never be the starting pg for this team going forward. I think the FO would rather see clarkson develop than continue to watch Lin try to develop into a reliable starter.

And how do you know these things you state?

Have we seen the best of his abilities for this team? Has he had enough games with enough minutes with the lineups that are best matched with him?

How do you know that he'll never be the starting PG going forward? Right now he has the best ability of our 3 PGs.

I do agree that the FO wants to see Clarkson develop. But Lin doesn't need to "develop" to be a reliable starter. He just has to work in a system where the floor is spread and he can reliably predict the movements of teammates.

What we've seen so far is a coach that has chosen not to use Lin efficiently and instead chosen to start inferior PGs.

We can only guess at the reasoning. And that reasoning may change later.

But "never" is a strong word that too many people use liberally so that they can act like they know something for sure instead of admitting the truth is that there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject:

ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

He's been in-consistent, but can you blame him? When he's aggressive like Clarkson he gets benched, when he's trying to get his teammates involved he gets benched cause he's not being aggressive. It just seems like he's in a no win situation. When he plays well, he gets yanked. Who on this team has been consistent? NOBODY. I just don't get why the media criticizes him for every little thing, but when he does well nobody praises him. He is the scapegoat this season just like Pau was the scapegoat in previous season. Is it fair? No, but being on a team with Kobe, there's always going to be a scapegoat.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

Have we seen the best of his abilities for this team? Has he had enough games with enough minutes with the lineups that are best matched with him?

How do you know that he'll never be the starting PG going forward? Right now he has the best ability of our 3 PGs.

I do agree that the FO wants to see Clarkson develop. But Lin doesn't need to "develop" to be a reliable starter. He just has to work in a system where the floor is spread and he can reliably predict the movements of teammates.

What we've seen so far is a coach that has chosen not to use Lin efficiently and instead chosen to start inferior PGs.

But "never" is a strong word that too many people use liberally so that they can act like they know something for sure instead of admitting the truth is that there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know.

If he has to work in a certain system to be effective than I don't see how he starts for the lakers going forward. Whether it's going after a free agent like Dragic or drafting one of the lottery pgs. Both options seem better than continuing to see Lin struggle on this team.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

He's been in-consistent, but can you blame him? When he's aggressive like Clarkson he gets benched, when he's trying to get his teammates involved he gets benched cause he's not being aggressive. It just seems like he's in a no win situation. When he plays well, he gets yanked. Who on this team has been consistent? NOBODY. I just don't get why the media criticizes him for every little thing, but when he does well nobody praises him. He is the scapegoat this season just like Pau was the scapegoat in previous season. Is it fair? No, but being on a team with Kobe, there's always going to be a scapegoat.

Kobe's not on the team right now. There is no scapegoat for Lin continuing to struggle.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Lin talked about how he deals with uncertainty in minutes at 1:25 mark how he will always play bball as a team sport at mark 3:06 youtu.be/xhf6gR6lDyw
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

ISOM wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

Kobe's not on the team right now. There is no scapegoat for Lin continuing to struggle.

And given the minutes, he's played decent. Give him 37 minutes like Clarkson and let's see what he can do. He got a DNP right after Kobe got hurt, and played pretty well when he came back and didn't do to bad last night either. Maybe if BS let him stay in the 1st half longer, things might've been different.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject:

ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

If he has to work in a certain system to be effective than I don't see how he starts for the lakers going forward. Whether it's going after a free agent like Dragic or drafting one of the lottery pgs. Both options seem better than continuing to see Lin struggle on this team.

Max Kellerman already stated that, Lin plays in a system that all 29 teams play EXCEPT for the Lakers. He's a drive and kick type of point guard, and pick and roll pg. Basically every team except the Lakers do this.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

Max Kellerman already stated that, Lin plays in a system that all 29 teams play EXCEPT for the Lakers. He's a drive and kick type of point guard, and pick and roll pg. Basically every team except the Lakers do this.

And I don't see Byron getting fired, so it's his system again next year. I don't see the lakers standing pat at pg for byron to bench again. Lin as a backup is not out of the question but the Lakers will try to upgrade the pg position if they are serious about building a team for the future.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

Lin and Dragic aren't very different. Dragic is a little more polished, but he also is system dependent.

He's also going to be a lot more expensive.

If we want to decide to run a system that will fit Dragic, then it would make a lot of sense to keep Lin as a backup because he would excel in that same system. If we don't run a system that Dragic would excel in, then that's spending a lot of money for frustration.
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

ISOM wrote:
mnstrdnk wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
KLS wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
maomao wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
maomao wrote:

Jeremy fell behind

This.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

Lin and Dragic aren't very different. Dragic is a little more polished, but he also is system dependent.

If we want to decide to run a system that will fit Dragic, then it would make a lot of sense to keep Lin as a backup because he would excel in that same system. If we don't run a system that Dragic would excel in, then that's spending a lot of money for frustration.

The sad thing is, if they did sign Dragic, I could see them changing the system to fit Dragic's style, otherwise he wouldn't come and play in this sorry system.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

That's not true. Dragic is a much better outside shooter than Lin. He's not nearly dependent as Lin in needing the ball in his hand to succeed.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

That's not true. Dragic is a much better outside shooter than Lin. He's not nearly dependent as Lin in needing the ball in his hand to succeed.

Hah do you even watch the Suns games? Earlier in the season Dragic had a big fit when IT was taking all the shots. It's no coincidence now that IT's points are going down that Dragic's are going up.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:

Hah do you even watch the Suns games? Earlier in the season Dragic had a big fit when IT was taking all the shots. It's no coincidence now that IT's points are going down that Dragic's are going up.

What are you talking about? Thomas is only averaging three less shots than Dragic.

To expand on what I said Thomas has a usage rate of 25.7 and Dragic has a usage rate of 21.6. So just by going by statistics it proves that has had been able to work effectively without the ball in his hand compared to the other pgs on the roster.
ISOM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Lin has a usage rate of 20.8 just barely below Dragic's. Yet Dragic is more efficient and a better scorer than Lin. Yet people are trying to say they are just somewhat the same player?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ISOM wrote:

The sad thing is, if they did sign Dragic, I could see them changing the system to fit Dragic's style, otherwise he wouldn't come and play in this sorry system.

At least it would make for more entertaining games.

It would also be a reason to offer a contract to Lin, since he'd do best in a similar system.

The worst thing that could happen to the Lakers would be to let Lin go and then have him play very well elsewhere.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330 ... 501, 502, 503  Next
Page 329 of 503
Jump to: