OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD (***Remember to talk about BASKETBALL and NOT other fans/posters*** See pg.1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 381, 382, 383 ... 501, 502, 503  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
I get why certain long time fans get frustrated with Jeremy Lin supporters... I wouldn't want an online community which I spent years supporting suddenly infiltrated by biased or ignorant fans that couldn't care less about the team I loved, posting solely for the benefit of one player.

However, I also think that it is important to cut some slack to a fan base that suffers from a form of prejudice that automatically assumes they are physically inferior in the same way that other groups might be wrongly assumed to be mentally inferior. Even though the far eastern countries regularly excel in the Olympics... for some reason it is hard for the average American fan to imagine an Asian athlete succeeding at basketball or American football. Until Ichiro broke the barrier for baseball position players, it was thought that the Japanese were incapable of playing at the major league level... that they played in inferior conditions that made it impossible to place them on a par with American players.

I get that size is an important component in both football and basketball.
However, in certain regions of China and Korea... it is fairly common to find people over six feet... so considering the fact that Asian gymnasts excel in skills such as leaping and hand eye coordination... it is inevitable that over time and as the international appeal of basketball grows that Asia like Europe before them, will eventually produce some decent basketball players.

So far Lin looks to me like he will become a decent sixth man. It's ironic because he's often praised for his intelligence but for someone like myself that grew up worshiping Magic Johnson, I find that Lin's mental errors are what is most unforgivable about his play. He does make some spectacular passes but then he drives out of control or throws the ball away and he doesn't have the FG percentage to justify his turnover ratio like the formerly great Steve Nash.

I guess all I'm saying is for people to judge Lin with the same measure they'd use to analyze a player with similar stats such as Nick Young. When I'm reading message boards or on Twitter, I rarely hear people questioning whether Nick Young belongs in the league even though he's already past his prime and has a worse shooting percentage than Lin.
With Lin I mostly see misguided hero worship or veiled racist digs.

He didn't deserve that contract, but he deserves a chance to play... hopefully he'll be signed for a more reasonable amount and get a chance to prove that next year.

The race card? Again? Kill me.

You're the one that started it with the snide Happy New Year comment.
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
I get why certain long time fans get frustrated with Jeremy Lin supporters... I wouldn't want an online community which I spent years supporting suddenly infiltrated by biased or ignorant fans that couldn't care less about the team I loved, posting solely for the benefit of one player.

However, I also think that it is important to cut some slack to a fan base that suffers from a form of prejudice that automatically assumes they are physically inferior in the same way that other groups might be wrongly assumed to be mentally inferior. Even though the far eastern countries regularly excel in the Olympics... for some reason it is hard for the average American fan to imagine an Asian athlete succeeding at basketball or American football. Until Ichiro broke the barrier for baseball position players, it was thought that the Japanese were incapable of playing at the major league level... that they played in inferior conditions that made it impossible to place them on a par with American players.

However, in certain regions of China and Korea... it is fairly common to find people over six feet... so considering the fact that Asian gymnasts excel in skills such as leaping and hand eye coordination... it is inevitable that over time and as the international appeal of basketball grows that Asia like Europe before them, will eventually produce some decent basketball players.

So far Lin looks to me like he will become a decent sixth man. It's ironic because he's often praised for his intelligence but for someone like myself that grew up worshiping Magic Johnson, I find that Lin's mental errors are what is most unforgivable about his play. He does make some spectacular passes but then he drives out of control or throws the ball away and he doesn't have the FG percentage to justify his turnover ratio like the formerly great Steve Nash.

I guess all I'm saying is for people to judge Lin with the same measure they'd use to analyze a player with similar stats such as Nick Young. When I'm reading message boards or on Twitter, I rarely hear people questioning whether Nick Young belongs in the league even though he's already past his prime and has a worse shooting percentage than Lin.

He didn't deserve that contract, but he deserves a chance to play... hopefully he'll be signed for a more reasonable amount and get a chance to prove that next year.

Dawg I agree there are racists out there that are against Asians. I'm white but I've seen it. Especially in sports. But if you think it is just Asians don't be ridiculous man. Hispanics are judged, whites are judged big time especially as guards. Basketball is typically a black mans game and honesty black people tend to have bigger hands so there are quite a few talented black players in the league. It's not like it's Asians against the world man
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I actually meant that in good spirit.

It's time to stop rationalizing the ignorance of some overzealous fans by playing the race card. It's petty, it's insulting, it's stupid. Being "Asian" isn't really something you can use to purport some sort of perceived oppression. Asia contains a myriad of ethnicity and cultures. Not only does Jeremy Lin not represent any of those cultures, but even if he did, it still wouldn't be acceptable to claim racial grievances upon criticism to which all players (and forum posters) have been subject for years. Hey, you're Asian? Great, so am I, nobody gives a (bleep).

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TQM
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

You brought race into the picture when you wished Lin Fans a happy new year. Why are you complaining now? Try to be nice and civil. So, 2 delay no more, wishing you, a sincere Gung Hay Fat Choy!
Type Raba
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject:

Lorenzomax wrote:
The change of the big men combo for Lin:

Lin - Hill Boozer

Lin - Sacre Boozer

Lin - ED Boozer

AFTER THE ASB:

Lin - ED Hill

I still love you Boozer I promise...

hit the nail on the head.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

It's time to stop rationalizing the ignorance of some overzealous fans by playing the race card. It's petty, it's insulting, it's stupid. Being "Asian" isn't really something you can use to purport some sort of perceived oppression. Asia contains a myriad of ethnicity and cultures. Not only does Jeremy Lin not represent any of those cultures, but even if he did, it still wouldn't be acceptable to claim racial grievances upon criticism to which all players (and forum posters) have been subject for years. Hey, you're Asian? Great, so am I, nobody gives a (bleep).

Until the recent emergence of the European players... the white man can't jump stereotype was alive and well. Now people see white players as more viable options. I'm under no delusions that Asian players will take the NBA by storm, but I'm simply advocating to give them a fair chance when a decent player comes along. To say Lin is a great player at this point is wrong, but I think it is also wrong to say that he is a bad player. When I see people take either extreme... I think it is wrong and that's just my opinion.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Until the recent emergence of the European players... the white man can't jump stereotype was alive and well. Now people see white players as more viable options. I'm under no delusions that Asian players will take the NBA by storm, but I'm simply advocating to give them a fair chance when a decent player comes along. To say Lin is a great player at this point is wrong, but I think it is also wrong to say that he is a bad player. When I see people take either extreme... I think it is wrong and that's just my opinion.

OH okay, let's just pretend that irrelevant soliloquy about being Asian never happened.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

OH okay, let's just pretend that irrelevant soliloquy about being Asian never happened.

You mean like how you're pretending profiling and discrimination doesn't happen?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
C M B wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

You mean like how you're pretending profiling and discrimination doesn't happen?

Nobody has done anything of the sort.

Hurrican
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject:

How bout we leave race outta this conversation and just be happy(sad for some) that lin had a good game.

There may be some racial arguments to be made but imo in these past almost 400 pages that horse has basically been beaten to death and also see page 1.

Lin has had a string of consistent ok to pretty good games so far after the ASB so lets enjoy it and hope he can keep it up.
zenca
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Lin makes other PGs better

I think Lin makes other PGs better. Just look at his history since leaving NYC. Normally backup pgs ends up starting pgs. Of course, part of the reason is Lin's inconsistencies but part of the reason is somehow they improve their game when Lin is on their team. Maybe cause they all don't want to be a backup pg to an asian so they work harder. Whatever it is, it helps the team.
Lorenzomax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject:

Oh Lin had a good game? Let's talk about the race and troll the fans there!
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
philnyc wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Curious why you brought up size as an issue. Lin is 6'3", 200+lbs, giving him size advantage over a lot of PGs in the league...

I'm aware he's a decent size... I was addressing the incorrect perception that the general public has about Asian athletes in general.

At this point, I'd worry more about the incorrect perceptions about his defense and basketball IQ...
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject:

Hurrican wrote:
How bout we leave race outta this conversation and just be happy(sad for some) that lin had a good game.

There may be some racial arguments to be made but imo in these past almost 400 pages that horse has basically been beaten to death and also see page 1.

Lin has had a string of consistent ok to pretty good games so far after the ASB so lets enjoy it and hope he can keep it up.

Agree that Lin has, for the most part, moved beyond the racial issues...and that the main challenge he faces in the league and among fans is the expectations that people have of him to recreate Linsanity. The only place that race is really impacting things here are some of the choices people make in the kinds of insults the haters want to throw at him.
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

Lorenzomax wrote:
Oh Lin had a good game? Let's talk about the race and troll the fans there!

So now you're playing the victim card.

As others have already said, none of this can lead anywhere good.

The Lakers are a little more fun to watch since the ASG, and I'm hoping this keeps up. Screw the tank, I want to see a winning attitude on the court every single game!
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

philnyc wrote:
Hurrican wrote:

Agree that Lin has, for the most part, moved beyond the racial issues...and that the main challenge he faces in the league and among fans is the expectations that people have of him to recreate Linsanity. The only place that race is really impacting things here are some of the choices people make in the kinds of insults the haters want to throw at him.

There are no haters.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

Lorenzomax wrote:
fafan wrote:
TheSmoket wrote:
fafan wrote:
nikeykid wrote:
lin's been taking care of the ball in recent games.

Yes, 0 TOs in 2 games, only 2 TOs in 4 games!

5 games, 0 TOs against portland.

Great!!!

It's not like he was playing well against Portland.

You are right, but it seems he started changing at least.
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

laserboy wrote:
philnyc wrote:
Hurrican wrote:

There are no haters.

There are always haters.
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Can we all stop perpetuating the discussion of stuff that's explicitly noted on page 1, please

Nobody wins these types of arguments. To refresh your memory of the idiocy that can happen, go take a look at the original Lin thread that got shut down at the beginning of this season.

Go Lin, Go Lakers!
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Pretty cool article about playing with Lin in college. Also says he's good at Halo. LoL

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4636564-what-was-it-like-to-play-college-basketball-with-jeremy-lin
xenojoey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Why is BS adding Lin back into the starting lineup? Are they planning on trying to win more games?
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject:

xenojoey wrote:
Why is BS adding Lin back into the starting lineup? Are they planning on trying to win more games?

Who cares man, I enjoy the wins more than the losses, we're gonna have to give up the pick anyway. Lins been phenomenal
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Captain America wrote:
xenojoey wrote:

Who cares man, I enjoy the wins more than the losses, we're gonna have to give up the pick anyway. Lins been phenomenal

Agreed, just enjoy the game now, next year is next year's business.
nikeykid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

Jeremy is on a roll after the All Star Break

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20150301-story.html
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

nikeykid wrote:
Jeremy is on a roll after the All Star Break

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20150301-story.html

"I can honestly say it hasn't factored into my equation at all this year," Lin said. "The reason why I say that is because I never thought I would make it to the NBA. I never thought I'd make the money that I've made. I never expected to have what I have today, so a lot of it is just trusting. God has always taken care of me. I don't need to stress about it. I really am not worried about it."

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 381, 382, 383 ... 501, 502, 503  Next
Page 382 of 503
Jump to: