This Team's Character - Awesome

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Intervention
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: This Team's Character - Awesome

Although we've seen plenty of more talented Laker teams, I'm loving this personality of this squad. The characteristics they're showing so far are just easy to cheer for. In sports, teams can be good but not likeable. This team is likeable.

To elaborate, our 4 main bigs may be undersized but are blue collar and work hard. They're all hustle and work ethic. Tough and really play hard. (Excited by Randle's potential, and boy.. is ED DAVIS A STEAL- his mpg is gonna go up).
Also so awesome to have some athletic bigs for once who can drive hard from the elbow. The penetration ---> dump in the paint assist is going to work really well with guys like Randle, Davis, and Hill. If Hill and Boozer can hit that 13-15 footer consistently, it will make a huge difference.

Our perimeter guys are all all hungry. I've always been a critic of Lin, but he can thrive here. It's refreshing knowing that in a pick n roll league we have 2 PGs that can really play the pick n roll (assuming Nash is healthy/he looked good for a 1st preseason game) Lin plays hard though and seems like a good teammate.

Kobe seems more mature and I think he's embracing the role of teaching and having to make guys around him better. Kobe has to respect you for him to show some love. His teammates have that DNA. Even Clarkson who may be shooting a lot, I think Kobe will respect his confidence. Again, I know it was 1 quarter of 1 preseason game, but just the confidence in Kobe's attack (which was not there last yr by reg season) and how he made the right play when he drew double team got me excited. Rhythmically he did not look like this in the 6 games last year. Him and Young can really help this team out when you have those games where you need people to make things happen. Their shot selection will be key, but it's fun having some guys who can entertain along with the blue collard bigs.

After so many years of not having play makers in the perimeter (outside of kobe), it's so awesome knowing we have guys who can just drive to the paint from the 3 (Clarkson does it with ease, just has to get that runner down ). Clarkson is fearless though. The nuggets have some quick guards and Clarkson, Lin can get by with more ease than our guards in past years.

I want to see Price. X and Young can't come back soon enough too. X and Wes have a chance to make a lot of plays on transition if our defense can get some blocks and steals.

As far as defense, rotations already look more deliberate and better. Rebounding will be tough cos of size. I'm loving Wes Johnson and Ed Davis on defense right now. I think Clarkson also has the potential to become a good defender. Has the body and athleticism.

Anyways, I'm rambling at this point and making you read too much. Point is - I'm sure there will be plenty of games where this team drives everyone nuts, but knowing the talent we have - I'm loving the DNA of the team as far as work ethic and hustle.

Go Lakers!

EDIT: 3rd quarter looked good too. Nash scoring at ease against a much faster Lawson. Gets to spots and uses his body and off arm as shields better than majority of the PGs today. Really wanna see Nash and Kobe play with Ed Davis.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: This Team's Character - Awesome

Laker Intervention wrote:
Although we've seen plenty of more talented Laker teams, I'm loving this personality of this squad. The characteristics they're showing so far are just easy to cheer for. In sports, teams can be good but not likeable. This team is likeable.

To elaborate, our 4 main bigs may be undersized but are blue collar and work hard. They're all hustle and work ethic. Tough and really play hard. (Excited by Randle's potential, and boy.. is ED DAVIS A STEAL- his mpg is gonna go up).
Also so awesome to have some athletic bigs for once who can drive hard from the elbow. The penetration ---> dump in the paint assist is going to work really well with guys like Randle, Davis, and Hill. If Hill and Boozer can hit that 13-15 footer consistently, it will make a huge difference.

Our perimeter guys are all all hungry. I've always been a critic of Lin, but he can thrive here. It's refreshing knowing that in a pick n roll league we have 2 PGs that can really play the pick n roll (assuming Nash is healthy/he looked good for a 1st preseason game) Lin plays hard though and seems like a good teammate.

Kobe seems more mature and I think he's embracing the role of teaching and having to make guys around him better. Kobe has to respect you for him to show some love. His teammates have that DNA. Even Clarkson who may be shooting a lot, I think Kobe will respect his confidence. Again, I know it was 1 quarter of 1 preseason game, but just the confidence in Kobe's attack (which was not there last yr by reg season) and how he made the right play when he drew double team got me excited. Rhythmically he did not look like this in the 6 games last year. Him and Young can really help this team out when you have those games where you need people to make things happen. Their shot selection will be key, but it's fun having some guys who can entertain along with the blue collard bigs.

After so many years of not having play makers in the perimeter (outside of kobe), it's so awesome knowing we have guys who can just drive to the paint from the 3 (Clarkson does it with ease, just has to get that runner down ). Clarkson is fearless though. The nuggets have some quick guards and Clarkson, Lin can get by with more ease than our guards in past years.

I want to see Price. X and Young can't come back soon enough too. X and Wes have a chance to make a lot of plays on transition if our defense can get some blocks and steals.

As far as defense, rotations already look more deliberate and better. Rebounding will be tough cos of size. I'm loving Wes Johnson and Ed Davis on defense right now. I think Clarkson also has the potential to become a good defender. Has the body and athleticism.

Anyways, I'm rambling at this point and making you read too much. Point is - I'm sure there will be plenty of games where this team drives everyone nuts, but knowing the talent we have - I'm loving the DNA of the team as far as work ethic and hustle.

Go Lakers!

EDIT: 3rd quarter looked good too. Nash scoring at ease against a much faster Lawson. Gets to spots and uses his body and off arm as shields better than majority of the PGs today. Really wanna see Nash and Kobe play with Ed Davis.

The DNA of his team has a lot to do with Scott, I am also loving this teams work ethic and hustle.

I don't think rebounding will be a problem, Hill, Randle and Boozer are all natural great rebounders, plus the Lakers will have an advantage in speed and quickness to offset any size advantage of the opponent. Also Davis will give us shot blocking to offset any size advantage of the opponent as well.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Not going to put too much stock in to a preseason game. True test of character will come when we lose multiple games in a row. Everyone has great character when they win.

I remember in the Kobe/Shaq days, we went years without ever losing 3 in a row. I can't expect the same level of dominance from these guys of course, but if they have strong character, then they should be able to avoid multiple 6-game losing streaks like they had last year (including one with HOME losses to PHI and MIL)...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I have to remind some that last year the team looked very energized as well. I disliked MDA as our coach as much as anyone ever did, but he also had the guys playing really hard training camp and the first 15 RS games. After that it kinda all fell apart.

To me I kind of expected this considering the fact that is a group of good guys who want to earn more money soon. A lot of guys on this team are on contract year just like last year. With Byron focusing less on 3 point shooting and high tempo ball, and more on D/conditioning, you'll see a bit more balance.

But effort was there last year at this time as well. What I want to see is if this maintains into 2-3 months from now and we see the team grow execution wise on both ends. Then I'll really be impressed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I have to remind some that last year the team looked very energized as well. I disliked MDA as our coach as much as anyone ever did, but he also had the guys playing really hard training camp and the first 15 RS games. After that it kinda all fell apart.

To me I kind of expected this considering the fact that is a group of good guys who want to earn more money soon. A lot of guys on this team are on contract year just like last year. With Byron focusing less on 3 point shooting and high tempo ball, and more on D/conditioning, you'll see a bit more balance.

But effort was there last year at this time as well. What I want to see is if this maintains into 2-3 months from now and we see the team grow execution wise on both ends. Then I'll really be impressed.

Well said
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Not going to put too much stock in to a preseason game. True test of character will come when we lose multiple games in a row. Everyone has great character when they win.

I remember in the Kobe/Shaq days, we went years without ever losing 3 in a row. I can't expect the same level of dominance from these guys of course, but if they have strong character, then they should be able to avoid multiple 6-game losing streaks like they had last year (including one with HOME losses to PHI and MIL)...

Strong character starts with the coach, I believe coach Scott has strong character which should rub off on the players especially the young players. Also Kobe and Nash should he a major influence on the team. I have not been a big Mitch supporter but I think this team has balance not only basketball balance but the team has a good balance of personalities as well, which is very important to building team chemistry. Great team chemistry leads to building of character, chemistry and character go hand and hand.

I agree, you cannot underestimate the importance of character.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Last years team was excited more than they played hard. Only playing offense is easy, getting the team to buy in to playing defense is not easy, it takes effort to play defense. It' not hard to force a player to shoot, everyone wants to score. Coaching run and gun is not hard, players instantly buy into shooting. MDA's coaching philosophy is not real NBA basketball that's why he has never been to the finals, even though he had a 2 time MVP.
Laker Intervention
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Fair enough and very logical. As I said, I'm not putting too much stock on one game. But Byron Scott is shaping a culture that hasn't been around in Laker land for a while. Also, just the roster changes alone is a change of character.

Whether it's mid-season or right now, the point is that we haven't had guys like Julius Randle and Ed Davis. We know who these guys are as far as what they bring to the court. My post wasn't based on success, but knowing what these guys will bring due to character. It's nice knowing that we have guys who have these qualities naturally, rather than having to attain them. Kobe and Nash's commitment to excellence is known. Comparing this year to last year which also had neither of those two guys along with a player like Boozer is just encouraging. But of course, to your point - we'll have to see how it all plays out.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject:

This team lacks Caracter. And by that I mean Derrick Caracter. We need more Caracter!
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

I agree with Lakers Intervention. I really like the feel that I'm getting with this team.

But it's all about health. We have to be healthy for it to be a good year.
Laker Intervention
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Bumping just cos' the team gave me a reason to. I know it's pre-season. I'm fully aware that the Blazers benched four of their five starters. But this team is still proving to be everything I wrote in my initial post.

The potential and progress is exciting. More importantly their desire and enthusiasm to want to get better, prove people wrong, and buying into defense and smash mouth ball is reassuring.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject:

How hard is it to put in an Ignore feature in the forum software?
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
we have one. You see a screen name you don't like, and you roll that little wheel on your mouse.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject:

ok that actually made me laugh
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:

Hmm, lets just see how the season goes.. I was gonna get league pass, but that drubbing we received from GSW and Jazz changed my mind. This team still has ways to go.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

15 posts and no one has mentioned that Robert Sacre sucks. INB4.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Last years team was excited more than they played hard. Only playing offense is easy, getting the team to buy in to playing defense is not easy, it takes effort to play defense. It' not hard to force a player to shoot, everyone wants to score. Coaching run and gun is not hard, players instantly buy into shooting. MDA's coaching philosophy is not real NBA basketball that's why he has never been to the finals, even though he had a 2 time MVP.
it takes more then effort to play defense. it takes intelligence, as well as a solid scheme and physical ability.

you cant have the ability/personnel if guys keep getting hurt. you cant have the chemistry in order to set up a solid defense if guys are in and out of the lineup all season long. This is what derailed them the most. not just some guy or guys being injures. it was guys going down and coming back then going back down at different times. ZERO cohesion in that scenario. and to play solid to great team defense. you have to have cohesion.

if lbj, jordan, pippen, and ibaka were all on the same team together but they could never seem to get on the floor together healthy. that team's defense would be suspect too. even if coach thibbs was running the show.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I think we'll find out about this team's character once actual games are played...and lost.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: