Getting Ed Davis was the steal of the off-season...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Davis impressed me with his bball IQ. I really don't remember watching him much in Memphis, but he plays a heady game.

That's because Memphis has always had a jammed FC.... so it's hard to get PT over there if you're a big.... I hope Davis plays well enough for MIP consideration.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Davis impressed me with his bball IQ. I really don't remember watching him much in Memphis, but he plays a heady game.

That's because Memphis has always had a jammed FC.... so it's hard to get PT over there if you're a big.... I hope Davis plays well enough for MIP consideration.

Well, MGasol was out for a while and he got some PT, but not 35 mpg level PT. I think Davis excels at around 22-25 mpg. He's sort of a Hill-type of player IMO from a year ago.
JK_Reloaded
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I called the Lin/Davis relationship way back in preseason.

Hoping this chemistry keeps going.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
I was impressed with his athleticism, having never seen him play he showed ability as a shot blocker, is he one of the answer to the Lakers future that certainly remains to be seen. It's up to Scott to get the best of the young players on this roster which is a nice combination of young and experienced.

The Spurs have proved that a mixture of young and experienced works. Ultimately talent and defense wins.

Speaking of defense, it was such a pleasure to listen to a coach talk about defense and rebounding, Scott talked about how the Lakers held Denver to 39% from the field and out rebounded Denver by two. Scott also talk about the need to clean up the excessive fouling. Kobe even talked about the Lakers defense stressing the conditioning that Scott put the team through. Kobe said nobody was tired as a result. I love defense, rebounding and having a well condition team, great job coach Scott!

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yup. Vet's min, steal indeed. Nice to have a Pelinka client give us a major discount (I think Davis could have gotten a few $2-3m deals elsewhere, but since we have cap room in 2015, I think he's trying to audition himself here).

He's going for that Earl Clark/Jodie Meeks Laker contract
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Don Draper"]
pio2u wrote:
driver wrote:
He's great over Sacre in my opinion. Very fast and can move with the offense.
He's not Hill though. Hill still managed a double-double playing with the slower going starters. I think Hill is also more stable down as a rebounder.

NO DOUBT, HILL IS A DOUBLE-DOUBLE MACHINE BUT DAVIS IS WAY BETTER THAN BOB SAC.

Sacre is a great 15th man, like Madsen. He'll probably be a coach for us one day.[/quote

I know you're joking... but have you heard him speak? Definitely not the most articulate guy in the world.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Ed Davis looked good out there at center. He knew when to roll after setting the pick, he was rotating and altering shots, and his runs very good for a big man. I can see him and Jordan Hill splitting time at center this year.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm hoping MVP. Why aim so low?
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject:

It will be interesting, with Hill's big $ deal, I think he gets traded for the exception. Ed Davis then could be the starting center next year. But it is wayyyyyyyyyy early, lets see how he does as the season progress's.

1 rebound though? C'mon, those are Bynum like stats.....
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
It will be interesting, with Hill's big $ deal, I think he gets traded for the exception. Ed Davis then could be the starting center next year. But it is wayyyyyyyyyy early, lets see how he does as the season progress's.

Bynum? Rebounding wasn't a problem for Bynum.
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Bynum? Rebounding wasn't a problem for Bynum.

I think he meant Hibbert. Those are Hibbert like stats.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

If Ed Davis brings it every night, like he did last night, he should get Sacre's minutes at the backup 5 without a doubt. I liked the Lakers picking him up, when it was announced, but I love the pick up after watching him more closely. I've never been a big fan of Sacre. He's a wide/big body, which is something that's needed on any team, but I'm not a huge fan of his game overall.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like Davis is moving up in Scott's rotation:

Lakers.com: Lin, Davis Find Connection in San Diego

Quote:
he duo’s performance caught the attention of head coach Byron Scott, who said he liked what the pair showed together in the practices leading up to Monday’s game.

Those probably will be two of the first guys off the bench,” Scott said. “With the way Ed played last night, (he) definitely played well. And Jeremy didn’t shoot the ball well – and we know he’s capable of making shots – but he did a good job of orchestrating the offense and making great passes.”
Giordano
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Ed Davis was the steal of the off-season...

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's just preseason or not... because he's shown in the past of having these kind of high-energy games.... I think a double-double with 2+ blocks is not out of question... if he keeps it up...

Thank you Memphis!

Same things happened to Jeremy's old teammates before. Some unknown players suddenly revived, and looks good when Jeremy play with them.

These players go unknown again when Jeremy left the team.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Ed Davis was the steal of the off-season...

Giordano wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's just preseason or not... because he's shown in the past of having these kind of high-energy games.... I think a double-double with 2+ blocks is not out of question... if he keeps it up...

Thank you Memphis!

Same things happened to Jeremy's old teammates before. Some unknown players suddenly revived, and looks good when Jeremy play with them.

Jeremy Lin does not make or break Ed Davis. Davis showed he could play lik this on his first team, Toronto.

That is not to say I don't think they can play well together. I hope they both have great success here.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Ed Davis was the steal of the off-season...

Giordano wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

Thank you Memphis!

LOL. Must have been the 0-fer that led to all those easy baskets around the rim? Cmon, I see what ya did there =)
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Ed Davis was the steal of the off-season...

Giordano wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

Thank you Memphis!

Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:

I thought Davis was going to take a big step forward with Toronto before he got moved to Memphis. He never really had a shot there, even with injuries. The one month he played over 30mpg, he averaged a respectable 14/8. I think he could get a really good shot with the Lakers, with Hill being neither a 30mpg player nor a stranger to the injured list.

No one should expect a star, but I think he can grow into an average starter, or a quality big off the bench. He certainly has the talent - just has to rebound/defend consistently and play within himself on the offensive end. The team has enough playmakers to give him some easy looks as long as he remains productive in other areas.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:

Ed Davis could really thrive with us. He has talent and basketball smarts. Great job by Mitch/Jimmy to grab him.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

Ed Davis was definitely a great pick up. I'm not sure if he was the steal of the season though. That's not because he wasn't a great acquisition for what we had to give... but because we've got several great acquisitions.

In addition to Davis, there's Boozer for what... 3 million? Former all-star that is still a solid proven good player.

Clarkson falling so far in the draft, and then paying $1.8 million to get him. That's a steal that I'm sure Washington will regret.

For Jeremy Lin we gave Houston.... lololol...
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject:

Nahtanoj wrote:
Ed Davis is easily the backup 5 to Hill. The 2nd unit with Lin/Ellington/Young/Randle/Davis is going to be fun to watch. Then there's also Price/Clarkson/Henry/Sacre/Kelly to round out the roster.

Man that is a good second unit!
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

I heard somewhere that Davis was gonna get over 5M.... getting him for just 2M was an absolute steal.... we are very lucky to have a management that thrives on stealing players....

Jim Buss did a good job learning from his dad.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I heard somewhere that Davis was gonna get over 5M.... getting him for just 2M was an absolute steal.... we are very lucky to have a management that thrives on stealing players....

Jim Buss did a good job learning from his dad.

Have you learned nothing?

The good moves are Mitch Kupchak. The bad moves are Jim Buss!

Jim never does anything good. You know better!
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Ed Davis was the steal of the off-season...

Giordano wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

Thank you Memphis!

Lol lin does not make or break Ed Davis. Ed is a good player in his own right who just needs the minutes to showcase his ability. You lin fans need to calm down with that excessive obnoxious praise as if lin is the center of the universe.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:

Ed Davis has a ton of potential, he'll do this in some games..

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12
Jump to: