Xavier Henry (10/28 Update: X is Active for Tonight's Game - pg 3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I honestly wish we still had both Farmar and Bazemore. Those guys make a combined $4 million on two year deals and would have been a huge help and boost to our back-court right now and going forward...

Oh well.
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
Atticus wrote:
Xavier is active for tonight's game:

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 1m1 minute ago
Pleasant surprise for the Lakers: despite missing the preseason, Xavier Henry is available to play tonight.

This doesn't make any sense at all... I thought he hadn't practiced in like a month and wasn't he going to New York for a second opinion on his knee? Also to Germany, right?

This makes 0 sense.

He can be utilized for Hack-a-Howard.
appwrangler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He hasn't played 1 minute with this lineup, let alone with Kobe since he came back. It's going to be rough incorporating him in real games where his style of play doesn't necessarily mesh with a lot of the pieces.

That being said, with Wes as our only SF, we need all the help we can get.

That's the key thing. Looks like he's a body on the bench for this game, someone to go in in an emergency. Be surprised if he sees more than 5 minutes.

But, wow, great to have him back. I thought he was toast after he left on his Himalayan (okay, German) pilgrimage for a miracle cure.

EDIT: Lakersprime's right of course. Hack-a-Howard possibilities too.

Last edited by appwrangler on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
I honestly wish we still had both Farmar and Bazemore. Those guys make a combined $4 million on two year deals and would have been a huge help and boost to our back-court right now and going forward...

Oh well.

Farmar is awful. I've already seen enough of Clarkson to know he's a better player. Farmar is already losing his spot to Jared Cunningham.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

ZAVEEEAYYY!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Lazy guy probably just wanted to skip practice and preseason games. Haha.

Glad he's back for the SF depth, but I think he's a terrible player.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Our whole team is awful so it doesn't matter anymore.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Rawr wrote:
Atticus wrote:
Xavier is active for tonight's game:

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 1m1 minute ago
Pleasant surprise for the Lakers: despite missing the preseason, Xavier Henry is available to play tonight.

This doesn't make any sense at all... I thought he hadn't practiced in like a month and wasn't he going to New York for a second opinion on his knee? Also to Germany, right?

This makes 0 sense.

He'd practiced, went to Germany and got the Kobe procedure, came back and missed the rest of pre-season, did some work yesterday and said he felt really good.

Today was the day they were gonna test him and make him run and do all that hard stuff.

If he did well enough to be made available tonight then that must be a good sign.

Either way, he still has to get in shape and get used to the offense so he may be available but I'd be surprised if he played.
when dealing with knee issues. shouldnt you do the all the hard stuff, then let the person sleep on it... See if it swells/any pain the following day. Then do it again. see if it swells any pain(aside from normal muscle soreness). if it goes good then he's available. at minimum you have to let him sleep on it after doing this one day of hard work or maybe it was more then that post germany and no swelling or issues took place. who knows.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:

So why don't you hop on the wagon and jump-ship to the team cross the hall? they still have plenty of wagons ready for you to jump in.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

he's NOT terrible man cmon man! he's shown flashes and he's just frail, but we can use him. and you really think Wes is that much better? wes might foul out guarding harden. we might need X even though BS said he wasn't going to play!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Rawr wrote:

Oh well.

Farmar is awful. I've already seen enough of Clarkson to know he's a better player. Farmar is already losing his spot to Jared Cunningham.

Farmar can't stay healthy and I expect him to miss at least 20 games for the clippers.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:

So why don't you hop on the wagon and jump-ship to the team cross the hall? they still have plenty of wagons ready for you to jump in.

I am not going to do that I was just making a point here, but truthfully he is a decent player, but he needs to stay healthy,
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:

Once he's hopped on the wagon though, he would have already jumped ship.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

he's NOT terrible man cmon man! he's shown flashes and he's just frail, but we can use him. and you really think Wes is that much better? wes might foul out guarding harden. we might need X even though BS said he wasn't going to play!

Sorry, X is terrible. It doesn't change just because he wears purple and gold. I think he was the only guard who even MDA couldn't elevate his stats. Every other guard saw typical MDA inflation ... I mean it's almost remarkable.

The guy just shoots 41% all the time no matter what and he is a poor finisher at the rim to boot.

The only reason you think X is so much better, is because he hasn't been playing. It's like the allure of the NBA Draft. Where every fan has the hope and dream that they landed a future hall of famer. Then reality hits. And reality will hit. And when it does, it leaves you with a 41% shooter whose sole saving grace is the ability to penetrate and then he can't even finish.

But hey, those are offensive board chances yay!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Sorry, X is terrible. It doesn't change just because he wears purple and gold. I think he was the only guard who even MDA couldn't elevate his stats. Every other guard saw typical MDA inflation ... I mean it's almost remarkable.

The guy just shoots 41% all the time no matter what and he is a poor finisher at the rim to boot.

The only reason you think X is so much better, is because he hasn't been playing. It's like the allure of the NBA Draft. Where every fan has the hope and dream that they landed a future hall of famer. Then reality hits. And reality will hit. And when it does, it leaves you with a 41% shooter whose sole saving grace is the ability to penetrate and then he can't even finish.

YOU FRICKING HATE XAVIER FOR SOME REASON. you don't stop bro.
your statements are erroneous. Xavier had some of the highest scoring outputs of all of the "scrubs" on the squad last year. a couple games close to 30points. 90% of the posters on this board can see that the kid has game. Sadly, I'm pretty down on his situation now due to his health. He was one of our most promising players last year, maybe the most promising in terms of skill. I hope he can get healthy and prove that he can be a good player.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

your statements are erroneous. Xavier had some of the highest scoring outputs of all of the "scrubs" on the squad last year. a couple games close to 30points. 90% of the posters on this board can see that the kid has game. Sadly, I'm pretty down on his situation now due to his health. He was one of our most promising players last year, maybe the most promising in terms of skill. I hope he can get healthy and prove that he can be a good player.

Also put up 10 ppg in just 21 mpg last season. That's not bad at all. Granted, he could have shot a higher percentage, but really, who else should have been getting those minutes? For the minimum, he's a solid bench guy.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Well said. Xavier Henry will be the x factor this season.
KOBEDAGREAT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

cant wait for x return
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Haha. You're right. I am not a fan of X at all. But it's not for no reason. It's because I don't think he is good at anything in particular.

Not good at staying healthy.
He's a shooting guard that is not good at shooting.
Can't shoot free throws.
Nothing special on defense.
Can't pass.
Can't finish at the rim. His FG% on shots near the basket is bad even by a PG's standards.

I want to like him, he just needs to be good at something first. I'm sure he's a great guy and he kind of looks like a young Denzel Washington which is nice.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

most people would agree that he's REALLY good at getting to the rim. the rest of his game is inconsistent; but that's where you should think about his potential. He's shown good touch at the rim, he hasn't been a brick house there at all ; and same goes for his jumper..
If healthy, he has the chance to evolve into a pretty damn complete offensive wing.
I don't understand why his game envokes so much rage in you! it's not like he's a skill-less scrub like Wes..
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Xavier was 22 and in his 4th year in the league. And put up 10ppg coming off the bench. What he was 'bad' at was 3 point shooting and that consistency is what he needs to work on.

He found his groove and don't forget was shooting about 45% from the field and finishing efficiently. Then his knee injury happened.

When he came back from that injury with also a wrist injury. When he came back his efficiency and lift on the slashing wasn't as efficient which was to be expected from a guy coming back early from a knee injury but he had worked on his shooting and shot 36% from three till his body couldn't go anymore.

If someone's gonna accurately judge his year they need to look at the entire year.

He struggled with the wall of responsibilities and minutes early in the season as he gained confidence, by December he was a really important piece to our team as well as he was absolutely a great piece to have for a 22 year old finally growing and seemed on his way to a breakout year shooting 45% finishing efficiently, and stringing together games of 27, 17, 15, 18, 21, during that time while ALSO having to play point guard because D'antoni didn't want to use Kendall Marshall for some unknown idiotic reason.

Last edited by MJST on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Hope X is recovered, if ready to go, I hope he does well...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
most people would agree that he's REALLY good at getting to the rim. the rest of his game is inconsistent; but that's where you should think about his potential. He's shown good touch at the rim, he hasn't been a brick house there at all ; and same goes for his jumper..
If healthy, he has the chance to evolve into a pretty damn complete offensive wing.
I don't understand why his game envokes so much rage in you! it's not like he's a skill-less scrub like Wes..

I agree. He's good at getting to the rim. But he can't finish. It's great he can walk up to a girl but it's pointless if he can't get her number.

He has an eFG% of .509 on shots close to the basket (last season and .489 the season before). For an SG/SF, that is unacceptable. For reference, Kendall Marshall had an eFG% of .535 on shots close to the basket last season. I just don't like players whose best skill is getting to the rim but finish at a rate lower than PG Kendall Marshall.

When you've got a player with a reputation for being able to get to the rim, and he's shooting under 41% consistently season in and season out, that's another thing I don't like.

I'm also not a fan of guards that have a negative AST/TO ratio (that is, they turn the ball over more often than they create an assist).

Finally, he can't even stay healthy. So net-net, I'm just not a huge fan of players who can't stay healthy and then when they are, can't shoot, can't finish at the rim, and can't take care of the ball or create for others.

No rage here. I'm very methodical about how I look at players, including the players on my team. I won't just cherry pick 6 games and say potential 4 times, I like to look at the entire body of work.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I agree. He's good at getting to the rim. But he can't finish. It's great he can walk up to a girl but it's pointless if he can't get her number.

He has an eFG% of .509 on shots close to the basket (last season and .489 the season before). For an SG/SF, that is unacceptable. For reference, Kendall Marshall had an eFG% of .535 on shots close to the basket last season. I just don't like players whose best skill is getting to the rim but finish at a rate lower than PG Kendall Marshall.

When you've got a player with a reputation for being able to get to the rim, and he's shooting under 41% consistently season in and season out, that's another thing I don't like.

I'm also not a fan of guards that have a negative AST/TO ratio (that is, they turn the ball over more often than they create an assist).

Finally, he can't even stay healthy. So net-net, I'm just not a huge fan of players who can't stay healthy and then when they are, can't shoot, can't finish at the rim, and can't take care of the ball or create for others.

No rage here. I'm very methodical about how I look at players, including the players on my team. I won't just cherry pick 6 games and say potential 4 times, I like to look at the entire body of work.

At 23 I'm still in on this kid off the bench...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

At 23 I'm still in on this kid off the bench...

I would be too if he hadn't already had 4 seasons under his belt and had good "peripherals". (For instance, Jordan Hill had great 'peripherals' and that's why I was high on him when we acquired him). X's production and numbers have not changed regardless of the team, offensive system, coach, teammates, etc that he's played on. I've heard every reason in the book as to why he can be a good player. I'm just not buying that he ever will be =)

That's why at 23, even with the resume and hype of a recent former NBA draft lottery pick, he can't command more than the absolute minimum allowable by law.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: