Spurs guard Danny Green apologizes for insensitive caption on Holocaust selfie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Spurs guard Danny Green apologizes for insensitive caption on Holocaust selfie

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/spurs-danny-green-apologizes-holocaust-selfie

Quote:
Spurs guard Danny Green apologizes for insensitive caption on selfie at Berlin Holocaust Memorial

The San Antonio Spurs are in Germany to play in the NBA Global Games, and before the reigning NBA champions took the court against Alba Berlin in the nation’s capital, the team did a bit of sightseeing. The Spurs visited the breathtaking Holocaust Memorial, also known as the Memorial To The Murdered Jews of Europe, and guard Danny Green took a selfie to commemorate the occasion. Green’s caption of the photo caused outrage on social media, and he quickly deleted the photo.

greenShare this image:

“You know I had to do it one time lol #Holocaust”

Green apologized for his “poor judgement” on Twitter.

Green uploaded another selfie to his Facebook page with a different caption.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:

do it mitch!
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

What an idiot. The only question is whether that's temporary stupid or permanent.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

Wait... what was the offensive thing? Was it the "lol" part where he was making fun of himself needing to take a selfie?
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Wait... what was the offensive thing? Was it the "lol" part where he was making fun of himself needing to take a selfie?

For starters, lol and holocaust should never be in the same sentence.
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

This. Don't get it either. Did they remove the original caption? What was offensive? His facial expression?
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

I guess I was expecting something worse.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

lol hashtag holocaust and you don't see what the problem is?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject:

People get offended by anything and everything these days.

No, the Holocaust wasn't funny.
No, Danny Green or any other guy should never take a "selfie."

But people need to chill out. I don't know how the Jewish community reacted to this, but he doesn't seem to be getting grilled about it, so I guess the Jewish community was mature enough to ignore it and have him apologize.

Speaks volumes of their collective character and miles ahead of the feminazi's.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:

But people need to chill out. I don't know how the Jewish community reacted to this, but he doesn't seem to be getting grilled about it, so I guess the Jewish community was mature enough to ignore it and have him apologize.

Actually, I happen to be part of that community. What he did was ignorant and offensive. The only question is whether his ignorance was a temporary thing or it is something that is actually ingrained.

To put it in perspective, it's no different than someone taking a selfie in front of a plantation and writing 'lol #slavery'. I'm guessing that would get a reaction as well.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject:

He wasn't "lol"-ing the Holocaust. He was making fun of the fact that he felt compelled to take a selfie.

People are up in arms about nothing. They actively looking for a way to be offended by this.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

lol hashtag holocaust and you don't see what the problem is?

No.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject:

mporter wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

I don't think it was anything malicious. I think he was just saying LOL about the selfie and used Holocaust because he was at the Holocaust Memorial. I get why people are upset, but I also get how it could happen.
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
mporter wrote:
Kobe>Lebron wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

I don't think it was anything malicious. I think he was just saying LOL about the selfie and used Holocaust because he was at the Holocaust Memorial. I get why people are upset, but I also get how it could happen.
Agreed. I think also because the tragedy happened so long ago to many we've been numbed.

If anyone hashtagged and lol'd to something more current I don't think we'd be having the same discussion. Stuff like: 9/11, beheading americans, domesic abuse, police brutality/shootings, child abuse, etc.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
12 wrote:

Actually, I happen to be part of that community. What he did was ignorant and offensive. The only question is whether his ignorance was a temporary thing or it is something that is actually ingrained.

To put it in perspective, it's no different than someone taking a selfie in front of a plantation and writing 'lol #slavery'. I'm guessing that would get a reaction as well.

It is different. As I noted, the place he was standing was called Holocaust Memorial, so he may have used Holocaust merely as a geographic descriptor without even processing what he was doing. If he had written "slavery" that would have demonstrated he knew exactly what he was doing unless the name of the place was the Slavery Plantation.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject:

This hyper-sensitive culture that we live in has fried my self-awareness. Everything that you do, no matter how infinitesimal, whether you apologize or not, is a crime against humanity apparently. How can you tell what's the right way to conduct yourself, when everything you do or say is by default, "offensive" or "disgusting"?

It isn't easier to just dial down the outrageous reactions to the modern world's unfiltered, impromptu exchange of information?
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
This hyper-sensitive culture that we live in has fried my self-awareness. Everything that you do, no matter how infinitesimal, whether you apologize or not, is a crime against humanity apparently. How can you tell what's the right way to conduct yourself, when everything you do or say is by default, "offensive" or "disgusting"?

It isn't easier to just dial down the outrageous reactions to the modern world's unfiltered, impromptu exchange of information?

Actually, the way I see it is that it's more the lack of a filter for people who are more accustomed to anonymously saying what they want on the internet.

Look at it this way, if someone was at the Holocaust Memorial and actually said 'haha holocaust', which is exactly how that tweet reads, it would be met with a negative response at the very least.

Simply accepting that someone isn't conscious of their surroundings or is incapable or too lazy to think before speaking/typing may be easier, but it sure as hell is not better. At the end of the day, 'that wasn't what I meant' is an excuse. It just means that you are incapable of thinking before speaking. That becomes even more inexcusable when you are in a situation where you control when your words are put out there, like on Twitter. Even more so for a public figure who should be smart enough to say to himself 'hey, lots of people are going to read/see this. Is it okay?'

Green said something stupid. Obviously he realizes he was wrong because that tweet was taken down and he apologized. I'm sure he will do the intelligent thing from here on out, which is actually thinking before speaking/tweeting.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject:

No offense, but Jews are the sacred cows in this country...you can't say anything even remotely negative about them or prepare to be banned...homosexuals are catching up though.

P.S. I have friends that are both and have no issues with them whatsoever.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

Wow. I guess you have a black friend too?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

That post was cringe worthy.

But it's no surprise. The Jewish people have been persecuted for a long time for reasons I won't get into on this forum. I stand with my Jewish bros and sisters even though I'm not Jewish by blood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:

As a person who makes their money from public exposure, you don't really have the luxury of being unconcerned what the overly sensitive people think, if you make your money off the stock market or land ownership, by all means don't give 2 (bleep), but basically everyone else in that club uses public support in some shape as capital.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
No offense, but Jews are the sacred cows in this country...you can't say anything even remotely negative about them or prepare to be banned...homosexuals are catching up though.

As a member of this wonderful community called Lakersground, it always strikes me as odd when someone says "LG hates LeBron", or "LG is a bunch of Kobe jockers", or "LG does/says/thinks anything". It makes me cringe to think that the unique voices of 30,000+ individuals gets whitewashed by a single label. Keeping in mind that benign example, imagine how wrong and insulting it is to label people as "the Jews" or homosexuals as if one's religion or sexual orientation overrides the indiviual actions and choices of each person.

As a moderator of this forum, diversity of thought and opinion is welcome and encouraged. We won't ban someone for saying something negative about someone, regardless of what group(s) they are a part of. The line we draw is a simpe one: We will not provide a platform for bigotry.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

No defense for your post either.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

Kind of broke your own rule there, didn't you?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Yes I do...myself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: