Randle/Davis > Boozer/Hill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
And people thought boozer was average or above average on defense?

Chicago resident and lifetime Lakers fan, nobody here believed Boozer was even in the top 80% of starters at his position, let alone backups. There's a reason Taj always finished games.
People here are whining about Gasol wanting the opportunity to finish games; they don't have a clue how much better Gasol is than Boozer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
And people thought boozer was average or above average on defense?

Chicago resident and lifetime Lakers fan, nobody here believed Boozer was even in the top 80% of starters at his position, let alone backups. There's a reason Taj always finished games.
People here are whining about Gasol wanting the opportunity to finish games; they don't have a clue how much better Gasol is than Boozer.

Yeah. Some of my good friends are die hard Bulls fans and that was their criticism of Boozer.

But at $3m (instead of $17m), I'm fine. I see him here for 2, maybe 3 reasons:

1. He's someone that Kobe can talk to I suppose (Nash is always hurt and the rest of the team, well, they're just kids to Kobe);

2. He's Randle's Sherpa, guiding him through the travails of life as an NBA PF; and

3. [insert nominal basketball reason].

Again, I'd be pissed if he was here for $17m (though if Chicago had given up its 1st round picks to us so they didn't have to amnesty him I'd be ok). But at $3m, he won't move the needle either way. But he'll be a good influence for Randle and be someone Kobe can relate to.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject:

For all the criticism that Bulls fans put on Boozer, they admit he is a good team mate/locker room guy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
For all the criticism that Bulls fans put on Boozer, they admit he is a good team mate/locker room guy.

Yeah. I don't think Boozer is a bad guy at all. Kind of like how things soured for Pau when his salary was at its peak ($19m), but at $7m, he's seen in a different light.

Boozer is making $3m. At that range, he is probably in the top tier of $3m players (not including rookies). So it's a decent investment on a placeholder team. Randle needs some good influence and Boozer, a guy who was said to be too small, too unathletic when he came out of Duke carved out a nice and lucrative career. Those are great things for Randle to pick up from him. Nice to have a big brother (remember Kobe didn't have that when he came in, was the kid while all his teammates were either grown men or didn't want to associate with the Kid).
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject:

They really should let Davis at least get a look with the starters in the preseason to see how they mesh. It's possible he can complement Boozer better than Hill can.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

I'd actually like to see a little more of Roscoe Smith. He doesn't do anything spectacular but he plays bigger than his size and could be a good NBA garbage man-type.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
They really should let Davis at least get a look with the starters in the preseason to see how they mesh. It's possible he can complement Boozer better than Hill can.

I would like to see that as well.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I'd actually like to see a little more of Roscoe Smith. He doesn't do anything spectacular but he plays bigger than his size and could be a good NBA garbage man-type.

I too want to see more of Roscoe. He's gotten very limited minutes, but he appears to be a big athletic SF. Supposedly he's not a very good shooter (or at least wasn't in college), but he's a rookie and had a lot of success in college. I'd like him to make the team.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: I really hope Davis is allowed to start despite Hill being paid more

He is the only true inside presence on this team. Hill is a great hustler but we have enough guys taking long jumpers in the starting lineup
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:

This may very well be true and Davis maybe the best Center on this team right now, but IMO it would be better to bring Davis off of the bench, because he could also give us some scoring punch. Remember it doesn't matter who starts the game as much as who finishes. Davis could become a finisher on this team.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Well Hill might go down, I don't think he can last an entire season.
j_anthony611
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

i like the chemistry between randle/davis and davis/lin. i think they should all start.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
This may very well be true and Davis maybe the best Center on this team right now, but IMO it would be better to bring Davis off of the bench, because he could also give us some scoring punch. Remember it doesn't matter who starts the game as much as who finishes. Davis could become a finisher on this team.

No. That lack of an inside scorer is hurting the starters. Look how tight a 36yr old Kobe is being defended.

I also don't want a center that shoots long jumpers starting
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Davis is definitely the better player but Hill will start because of his trade value.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:

If Hill goes down we are screwed. Hill was 5/8 at one point tonight. He is vital to this team even if he doesn't start.
Kidd Supreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

THIS. You have to ask yourself which one is more likely: Ed Davis feasting on the other teams 2nd string scrubs (with someone like Lin throwing him lobs), or going against the other teams first string, and possibly getting into foul trouble. You want Hill in the starting lineup because his job is to clean up the boards, and get easy put backs.

Putting Davis in with Boozer and Kobe means there isn't enough shots to make it effective. However, I do see if Ed keeps improving that Mitch signs him to a 2 year deal and maybe not pick up Hills 2nd year?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
bandiger wrote:

If Hill goes down we are screwed. Hill was 5/8 at one point tonight. He is vital to this team even if he doesn't start.

And biggest negative +/- on the team.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Davis is fine just where he is.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
bandiger wrote:

Who exactly do you want to replace him with? Sacre? Do you want a bigger +/-?
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I want davis to start too. Jhill is great but all this sixth man stuff in the league today I think is mostly bs. If you have one singular scoring machine that helps lead the (usually weak) bench then I'm all for it. But a lot of times the spark plug rationale is just some bs rationalization. For example perkins starting over Steven Adams in okc, or mason plumlee coming off the bench in brooklyn, just a couple guys off the top of my head, whom I think deserve to start.

Jhill is good and all but he's not a very good rim protector, which is a very crucial element to a game. Davis is therfore vital to this current team as constructed and should be getting starters minutes and in the starting lineup. A lot of time jhill either won't rotate due to trying to maintain rebound position or does but just isn't a quick enough defender to make a difference. Ed is not only a better rim protector he's also the better offensive threat, pick n rolling, post moves etc. I feel like jhill mostly wants to shoot jumpers now on offense or is told to space out to let boozer and kobe operate in the paint. Either way i like davis better imo, and jhill could just as easily feast on second units if not more so like he's done most of his career, while probably staying healthier in short bursts in the process.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Hill being pushed into a starting role wasn't really an appealing idea in the first place, but we lacked depth in the front court after losing Pau and Kaman. He won't hold up playing 30-35 MPG over 82 games. Davis would be a better compliment than Hill to Boozer as well and shadows Boozer being a liability defensively a little bit by being a guy who can protect the paint. I like Hill, but I liked him more as an energy lift off the bench.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject:

The only thing Hill has over Davis is that midrange shot. Everything else, Ed is better.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

hell no. the rim protector needs to play the most minutes. also, he and J.Lin's PnR looks GREAT, meaning, he's more of an offensive threat than J.Hill - IF you play him with the starters (lin, KB,Wes, Booz,Davis). play that group the most minutes and we'll have the most success by far. And idk how anyone doesn't see that.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:

hell no. the rim protector needs to play the most minutes. also, he and J.Lin's PnR looks GREAT, meaning, he's more of an offensive threat than J.Hill - IF you play him with the starters (lin, KB,Wes, Booz,Davis). play that group the most minutes and we'll have the most success by far. And idk how anyone doesn't see that.

2nded. When I saw hill out there in ot all I could do is smh. Byron and his bs about ...anyone can earn starting spot over seniority, better be true come regular season. If scott starts price over lin, there's no reason to not start davis over hill for the same reason (defense). Except davis actually just as good offensively than jhill lol, and better defensively.

Jhill is all offensive punch as far as I'm concerned, perfectly suited for the 2nd unit. His injury history too indicates hed be better off the bench.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
bandiger wrote:

Who exactly do you want to replace him with? Sacre? Do you want a bigger +/-?

Davis. And it has zero to do with his scoring and everything to do with his defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: