Randle/Davis > Boozer/Hill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
blah blah blah blah... there will be times when we need the Boozer/Hill combo or the Randle/Davis combo. Lets just be happy we have both, how many teams can say that? it's all about match ups. If takes advantage of match up both combination of players will shine.

There are many teams that have better PF/C combinations than we do. In fact, almost all of them.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
blah blah blah blah... there will be times when we need the Boozer/Hill combo or the Randle/Davis combo. Lets just be happy we have both, how many teams can say that? it's all about match ups. If takes advantage of match up both combination of players will shine.

There are many teams that have better PF/C combinations than we do. In fact, almost all of them.

Sure they do, but we finally at least have a PF/C combo. If Scott is smart and mixes it up we can hold our own. There is no reason Blake Griffin should be dunking every time he has the ball anymore. Things should change a bit
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

Sure they do, but we finally at least have a PF/C combo. If Scott is smart and mixes it up we can hold our own. There is no reason Blake Griffin should be dunking every time he has the ball anymore. Things should change a bit

Well, it's more like PF/PF and a PF/PF combo. Hill/Davis aren't true centers but can play it in today's downsized center day.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

Well, it's more like PF/PF and a PF/PF combo. Hill/Davis aren't true centers but can play it in today's downsized center day.

True, I can see Davis/Hill Combo taking Ibaka/Porkin or Davis/Randle taking Ibaka/Adams. Its all about being smart with the match ups.. Something MDA was loathe to do with his small ball
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:

The reason Blake Griffin dunks all the time has little do with the man defending him.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand the Hill hate. It's as though people expected him to turn into a superstar in the off-season. Production so far by the Lakers bigs:

Boozer: 13.6 points (44.8%), 4.6 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.4 blocks, 2.2 steals in 23.2 minutes
Hill: 8.6 points (51.5%), 8.4 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 0.8 blocks, 0.4 steals in 22 minutes
Randle: 7.6 points (41.5%), 5.4 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 0.6 blocks in 19 minutes
Sacre: 6.3 points (45.5%), 2.5 rebounds, 0.5 blocks, 0.5 steals in 16.3 minutes
Davis: 7.5 points (78.9%), 4 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, 0.3 steals in 16 minutes

Boozer and Randle are both good rebounders, but Hill has been by far the best rebounder on the team. I like their rotation offensively at least. They have a good shot blocker in Davis, a great rebounder in Hill, and offensive threats in Boozer and at some point Randle. And who can beat Sacre in cheerleading?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I honestly like the Davis/Randle combo right now.

Boozer seems to be hitting his groove a little bit which I was happy to see him mix it up with post moves and mid range, that was all gravy last night and that's the Boozer I want to see.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The assists to date from Hill and Boozer are an underrated part of their game.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The assists to date from Hill and Boozer are an underrated part of their game.

True but we've been spoiled by Pau/Lamar.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Boozer's an excellent passer, always has been. His passing style is similar to Pau's, in that he's somewhat of a gatekeeper. He swings the ball to where it's supposed to go, and understands the game on an intellectual level. Pau's better at it, but they're similar from a stylistic standpoint, at least in terms of their passing ability.

The Lamar/Randle comparisons are on point. IMO, he's already the 2nd best guy on the team in terms of driving to the basket (with Lin as our best), and we'd be well-served to make a point of putting our best shooters in the left corner when he's on the floor. Part of the reason that his assist total is so low is that guys aren't in the spots that they need to be in order to capitalize on the defense collapsing. Drive & kick is immensely important in today's game, because it's your best chance at compromising the defense's integrity. IIRC, he hit Ellington for a 3 in the 4th Quarter last night off of this type of action. He's a willing passer, we just have to make the defense pick their poison. Randle all the way to the basket, a drop off for the other big (haven't seen him make this pass yet), or kick out for the corner 3. Just simple positioning would could down on his wild man drives to the basket. Give the kid some option when he racks it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I didn't see all of last night's game, but they did have a corner 3 in the 4th. Was that the only one all season?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Yup, 3 Kobe 3's (two of them bailouts) and one shooter's bounce corner 3 from Wayne Ellington. That corner 3 came on the play GT was talking about. It was a Randle face up drive against GObert who cut him off. Randle used his footwork to get around him and throw a pass out to Johnson who moved it to Ellington for the 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Yup, 3 Kobe 3's (two of them bailouts) and one shooter's bounce corner 3 from Wayne Ellington. That corner 3 came on the play GT was talking about. It was a Randle face up drive against GObert who cut him off. Randle used his footwork to get around him and throw a pass out to Johnson who moved it to Ellington for the 3.

Thanks for bringing that up. Having that shooter on the wing makes the defense make a choice. Still a hockey assist.

There was another play in the 4th where Randle drove to the basket and had kind of a wild miss, but he drew the attention of a second defender, leaving Ed Davis with an easy weak side rebound, which he cleaned up and scored on.

These are two examples of why I despise traditional stats. Randle comes out of it with an official stat line of 0-1 FG, 0 points, 0 assists, but in reality his ability to compromise the defense created 5 points on 2 plays.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
Yup, 3 Kobe 3's (two of them bailouts) and one shooter's bounce corner 3 from Wayne Ellington. That corner 3 came on the play GT was talking about. It was a Randle face up drive against Gobert who cut him off. Randle used his footwork to get around him and throw a pass out to Johnson who moved it to Ellington for the 3.

Thanks for bringing that up. Having that shooter on the wing makes the defense make a choice. Still a hockey assist.

There was another play in the 4th where Randle drove to the basket and had kind of a wild miss, but he drew the attention of a second defender, leaving Ed Davis with an easy weak side rebound, which he cleaned up and scored on.

These are two examples of why I despise traditional stats. Randle comes out of it with an official stat line of 0-1 FG, 0 points, 0 assists, but in reality his ability to compromise the defense created 5 points on 2 plays.

An excellent point! With all the injuries this team is starving for players that can make the defense work. Just by getting past his man and into the lane Randle creates opportunities for others whether he makes or misses. I'd like to see him continue to get more touches and run the offense of the 2nd unit
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:
Yup, 3 Kobe 3's (two of them bailouts) and one shooter's bounce corner 3 from Wayne Ellington. That corner 3 came on the play GT was talking about. It was a Randle face up drive against Gobert who cut him off. Randle used his footwork to get around him and throw a pass out to Johnson who moved it to Ellington for the 3.

An excellent point! With all the injuries this team is starving for players that can make the defense work. Just by getting past his man and into the lane Randle creates opportunities for others whether he makes or misses. I'd like to see him continue to get more touches and run the offense of the 2nd unit

technically when he came in the second half last night, after looking moribund in the 1st, it was with roscoe p. smith and ed davis in the frontcourt. maybe not being expected to do the traditional bigman stuff is when set him off, because he was a totally different player.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
technically when he came in the second half last night, after looking moribund in the 1st, it was with roscoe p. smith and ed davis on the floor. maybe not being expected to do the traditional bigman stuff is when set him off, because he was a totally different player.

I think he's just fine in the big man role. In fact Smith is a 3 if I'm not mistaken. But it makes a big difference when Sacre isn't chucking up 15-18 foot turn around jumpers and generally ball hogging. Julius barely touched the ball in the first half. Wes Johnson trhowing that pass behind Julius in transition highlights how effective that unit was at getting him the ball
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
technically when he came in the second half last night, after looking moribund in the 1st, it was with roscoe p. smith and ed davis on the floor. maybe not being expected to do the traditional bigman stuff is when set him off, because he was a totally different player.

I think he's just fine in the big man role. In fact Smith is a 3 if I'm not mistaken. But it makes a big difference when Sacre isn't chucking up 15-18 foot turn around jumpers and generally ball hogging. Julius barely touched the ball in the first half. Wes Johnson trhowing that pass behind Julius in transition highlights how effective that unit was at getting him the ball

his energy level looked night and day to me from the first half. i'm starting to think the "stamina/conditioning" issues might be more mental. it's just about getting him comfortable.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

his energy level looked night and day to me from the first half. i'm starting to think the "stamina/conditioning" issues might be more mental. it's just about getting him comfortable.

Yeah, I found it really hard to believe that a 19 year old guy who's displayed a relentless motor (albeit at a lower level) would be gassed after a few minutes. People can say all they want about it being "NBA speed" but let's get real. NBA players don't come close to sprinting end to end during a game. 8-10 minutes should literally be nothing to him.

Your assessment is probably right. He probably is thinking too much, is a bit overwhelmed and finds himself just floating around the court not doing much of anything in those few games where it looked he was "gassed".

Byron and Kobe probably just told him to get the (bleep) out there and play.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Yeah, I found it really hard to believe that a 19 year old guy who's displayed a relentless motor (albeit at a lower level) would be gassed after a few minutes. People can say all they want about it being "NBA speed" but let's get real. NBA players don't come close to sprinting end to end during a game. 8-10 minutes should literally be nothing to him.

Your assessment is probably right. He probably is thinking too much, is a bit overwhelmed and finds himself just floating around the court not doing much of anything in those few games where it looked he was "gassed".

i find it hard to believe that he's an idiot, a head case. the conditioning issues are real
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

i find it hard to believe that he's an idiot, a head case. the conditioning issues are real

You think? I'm not implying he's any of that there. Is it really hard to believe that a 19 year old rookie in a first few games as a pro is a bit overwhelmed?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I don't think he's gassed or confused.

When he's in a lineup of

Ellington
Johnson
Smith
Sacre

What do you expect to happen? He didn't even get the ball lol
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

You think? I'm not implying he's any of that there. Is it really hard to believe that a 19 year old rookie in a first few games as a pro is a bit overwhelmed?

Idk. But it's not hard at all for me to believe what i see on the court - I often see an obviously gassed player. Last down the court a lot of times, and then laziness on both ends of the court (and i refuse to attribute that laziness to some mental crap like him not wanting to play hard for some reason?? he's just gassed)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:

He didn't look gassed to me.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He didn't look gassed to me.

nope, not in the last game.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject:

Davis needs to start yo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: