Randle/Davis > Boozer/Hill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:
Voices wrote:
The Lakers are short on scoring guards, X and Young need to get healthy, both players can create their own shot which is desperately needed.

A far as the Lakers bigs go Davis should start, he not only can defend he has the ability to score, he is quick and agile.

Randle did not play well early in last night game but he is relentless, he finished strong. He can handle the ball which is a huge asset. Randle and Davis are the best Lakers bigs.

Davis and Boozer should start with Randle getting starter min.

Wesley was terrible last night so was Clarkson etc. The Lakers desperately need the off the dribble that X provides and the overall scoring that Young provides.

Why is anyone suprised that Wes is back to his Jeckle and Hyde routine? I didn't want him back and that's the reason why. Dude just disappears from game to game. That's who he is as a player.

We tend to get in our minds that Wes can be a "lockdown defender" (I'm guilty of this too) that can fill the role of being a 3 & D guy, but if you really pay attention to him, I don't think he's much more than a decent defender, who's fundamentally flawed on the other end. He's a net negative.

I'd rather start a guy like Young or Henry and sacrifice a little bit on the defensive end in exchange for a huge offensive gain. (with Davis on the back end) Lessen Kobe's offensive burden, while asking him to do a little more defensively. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but Kobe is moving well enough to be our best defender, and that's where we need the most help.

I thought Kerr's decision to start Barnes in the second half was entirely to force Kobe to play defense, and it was not pretty.

Didn't catch the 2nd half, what happened?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:
Voices wrote:
The Lakers are short on scoring guards, X and Young need to get healthy, both players can create their own shot which is desperately needed.

A far as the Lakers bigs go Davis should start, he not only can defend he has the ability to score, he is quick and agile.

Randle did not play well early in last night game but he is relentless, he finished strong. He can handle the ball which is a huge asset. Randle and Davis are the best Lakers bigs.

Wesley was terrible last night so was Clarkson etc. The Lakers desperately need the off the dribble that X provides and the overall scoring that Young provides.

Why is anyone suprised that Wes is back to his Jeckle and Hyde routine? I didn't want him back and that's the reason why. Dude just disappears from game to game. That's who he is as a player.

We tend to get in our minds that Wes can be a "lockdown defender" (I'm guilty of this too) that can fill the role of being a 3 & D guy, but if you really pay attention to him, I don't think he's much more than a decent defender, who's fundamentally flawed on the other end. He's a net negative.

I'd rather start a guy like Young or Henry and sacrifice a little bit on the defensive end in exchange for a huge offensive gain. (with Davis on the back end) Lessen Kobe's offensive burden, while asking him to do a little more defensively. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but Kobe is moving well enough to be our best defender, and that's where we need the most help.

I thought Kerr's decision to start Barnes in the second half was entirely to force Kobe to play defense, and it was not pretty.

Didn't catch the 2nd half, what happened?

Barnes basically bullied him. I want to use the term "sonned" but I'm not entirely sure what that means.

Lin's D in the third was equally abysmal.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:
Voices wrote:

Barnes certainly did get the best of Kobe in those exchanges. But Kobe also had stretches of excellent ball denial and man defense in each of the last two games. I've seen much more good than bad from him on that end.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

Team of the 80's wrote:
Voices wrote:

Never was a fan of Wes, Scott seems to like his defense, I hope Scott sees through his Jeckle and Hyde game.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

hill is a trade bait...i know he has to agree but thats what i think

hill/nash/2 2nd round/sacre for hibbert

kelly/X/houston pick for Barnes
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Why would Indiana or GSW do either of those deals?
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

Although we were rooting for guys like Jordan Hill, Wes Johnson and X. Henry last season, I think we're starting to see why they were mostly lottery busts with their previous teams. They have increased their level of play slightly but not even close enough to get excited about and almost enough to give some leeway to D'antoni for last year debacle. Watching guys like Ed Davis and Jeremy Lin play, you can see a noticeable difference between them and these 2nd year Lakers - and I wouldn't even consider Lin and Davis great players. The rest of the pre-season games will hopefully spell it out more and that when the rs starts, B. Scott will make the pieces fit.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

don't you know teams are supposed to make the Lakers better?
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

I know Scott does not like to shoot 3's but you have to be able spread the floor, if you do not have a couple of knock down 3 point shooters it makes it difficult for the big's, it jams up the key. With a Jammed up key it stops dribble penetration which keeps the bigs from getting the offensive rebounds created from the breakdown of the defense that dribble penetration causes.

It does not appear that any of the young players are knock down NBA 3 point shooters. Golden State's defense appears to have improved, probably as a result of a healthy Bogut, he is a very good player when healthy, if GS stay's healthy they are a serious contender for the championship.

Keeping things in context, the Lakers could of been playing the next NBA champion.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

Yumyumcha wrote:
Although we were rooting for guys like Jordan Hill, Wes Johnson and X. Henry last season, I think we're starting to see why they were mostly lottery busts with their previous teams. They have increased their level of play slightly but not even close enough to get excited about and almost enough to give some leeway to D'antoni for last year debacle. Watching guys like Ed Davis and Jeremy Lin play, you can see a noticeable difference between them and these 2nd year Lakers - and I wouldn't even consider Lin and Davis great players. The rest of the pre-season games will hopefully spell it out more and that when the rs starts, B. Scott will make the pieces fit.

It seems that Mitch has taken an approach of signing top twenty picks/lottery thinking the Lakers can make them the players that teams that drafted them thought they would be. If it quacks like a duck, it is a duck. I don't think that plan is working. Hopefully the Lin signing will yield a productive 1st round pick. I think Randle is a can't miss player but the draft is a crap shoot.

I still hold the hope that when the Lakers get healthy they will be competive.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

But that's what I want! *stomps foot*
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
j_anthony611 wrote:
agreed. a starting line-up of lin, kobe, johnson, randle, and davis could do some damage. hopefully coach scott inserts davis and randle into the starting line-up sooner rather than later

It's pre-season so I'm sure he's just tinkering. That's the lineup I was thinking too.

Nick as the primary sixth man. Booz/Hill as bigs off bench depending on need. Nash as 2nd pg.

It's fascinating reading the contingent on LG try to rationalize Booz. It was the same ish with Kaman last year. As if a decade's worth of film isn't enough. He's dirt cheap so I'm glad to have the dude on board but if he's expecting 30+ minutes starting...hell to the no.

That is why I wouldn't make rash decisions about veterans right now.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Give Byron a chance to tinker with player combos that work. I like the Davis/Boozer combo in the starting lineup. Hill coming off the bench instead of Sacre is a huge improvement over the present line-up. Randle coming off the bench makes our bench one of the best in the league. Also, with so many injuries, Randle could be starting by November.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

The NBA2k affect. Just because in a video game you can make that trade (PS you can get Derrick Rose and a 1st for Kobe this season on NBA2k15... doesn't mean it'd be a viable thing in the real world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Boozer shouldn't be playing at all as far as I'm concerned. He's a worse player than Hill and Davis. He has no future with the team and he brings zero entertainment value. His over the head sling-shot fall away jump shots that often result in bricks and his two inch vertical are only entertaining for the fans of the opponent.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Guys, it's been 2 preseason games. Rarely is it a good idea to judge players based on 2 preseason games. I remember a year many fans thought Fisher/Lamar were horrible a few games in to preseason and wanted Farmar/Turiaf starting instead.

Now if this is based on more than the 2 PS games, I take it back. But right now I'm giving the guys a good whole month and 15 games of the RS before I start making serious changes. If the Lakers believe that Hill/Boozer are their best bigs, I'd give them a shot. I do understand why they need Davis, he can protect the basket a bit. And who can't but help fall in love with a young draft pick. But it's early IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
It seems that Mitch has taken an approach of signing top twenty picks/lottery thinking the Lakers can make them the players that teams that drafted them thought they would be.

It's not like they had money to spend there, they were looking at guys who would come in and play for the minimum. These guys realize that in L.A. they have a chance to get exposure, and if they play well that could net them a big contract elsewhere (see Jodie Meeks). All things being equal, signing an aging veteran for the minimum or a young guy who has upside seems like a no brainer to me. This team isn't a contender. They need to swing for the fences.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject:

I don't think some really understand that there is 3 week of training camp and pre-season left.

We had a good game and a bad game. It was the second darn game of the pre-season. At least wait till the 3rd week before we start stating "we can trade this guy down the road" talk or "this is how he'll be all year" talk.

it was the second game of the pre-season and the "first" game that Lin has ever played or scrimmaged with our starting lineup.

Unwind a bit.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I don't think some really understand that there is 3 week of training camp and pre-season left.

We had a good game and a bad game. It was the second darn game of the pre-season. At least wait till the 3rd week before we start stating "we can trade this guy down the road" talk or "this is how he'll be all year" talk.

it was the second game of the pre-season and the "first" game that Lin has ever played or scrimmaged with our starting lineup.

Unwind a bit.

I second this. Nobody brought this up after nuggets game. It's preseason vs a very good team with well established chemistry.

Also want to add that boozer had a good game last night. He has good chemistry with kobe and Nash (nuggets game) as well as just seeming like a natural playing within the offense. This is not surprising being the vet he is. His mid range jumper is especially useful for spacing.

Also i dont disagree that davis has shown to be a better defender than hill, but let's keep in mind it has been mainly vs 2nd units. His thin frame could be an injury risk banging vs starting bigs. although ed davis might be better off with the starters, hill is still getting paid a lot to be a guy off the bench as much as I'd be curious to see it happen.

Only time will tell, but that's what the preseason is for.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject:

Boozer is fine to start - he can shoot which the spacing is needed with Kobe playing in the post. And also, i don't want Randle to have to sacrifice touches playing with the starters, and also playing with pressure, being afraid to make a mistake. DAVIS should be starting ,though. Best big man on this team i bet.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Team of the 80's wrote:
Voices wrote:

Barnes certainly did get the best of Kobe in those exchanges. But Kobe also had stretches of excellent ball denial and man defense in each of the last two games. I've seen much more good than bad from him on that end.

I appreciate Kobe's effort on defense and it shows that he's in great shape but I don't like when he crowds bad shooters on the perimeter and when he puts himself out of position just to reach on the ball. Isn't it just bad defense ?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject:

Davis looks awfully small to be a full time starting center. Love his hustle, but he looks to me like he's closer to small forward size than center size.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Voices wrote:
It seems that Mitch has taken an approach of signing top twenty picks/lottery thinking the Lakers can make them the players that teams that drafted them thought they would be.

It's not like they had money to spend there, they were looking at guys who would come in and play for the minimum. These guys realize that in L.A. they have a chance to get exposure, and if they play well that could net them a big contract elsewhere (see Jodie Meeks). All things being equal, signing an aging veteran for the minimum or a young guy who has upside seems like a no brainer to me. This team isn't a contender. They need to swing for the fences.

I get what you are saying, Meeks was a proven player, proven by his play during his time with the Lakers. Meeks growth as a player last season was amazing, high energy, plays with heart and passion yet the Lakers saw no reason to give him a good contract, even though the Lakers developed his talent.

The Lakers are not a " farm team" for the NBA, lately Lakers management has not done a good job of getting return on players that clearly did not fit in the Lakers future, I'm talking about Gasol and Dwight, we got nothing for them.

Again, I get what you are saying, but I'm not in a trusting management mode, especially for their decisions over the last few years.

Swinging for the fences is not a good way to build a team, an occasional gamble, like getting a proven player that has had "issues" might work from time to time. Beasley would/might of been worth a gamble because he was not being sought after by any NBA teams at least any teams I know of, the Lakers probably could of got him "cheap".
jenopogi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:

Swinging for the fences is not a good way to build a team, an occasional gamble, like getting a proven player that has had "issues" might work from time to time. Beasley would/might of been worth a gamble because he was not being sought after by any NBA teams at least any teams I know of, the Lakers probably could of got him "cheap".

on beasly, i think there was a reason why even the gris did not sign him. he ended up know playing overseas playing for yao ming's team.
JL#7 in Purple and Gold. Shoutout to my Lakers4Life Buddy Ian M.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject:

Why are we still talking about Beez? He wanted the $ and not even the Lakers were willing to give any guaranteed money.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: