I don't see much Improvement in Hill's game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He was never going to be part of the team's long term plans. We missed on our targeted free agents and we overpaid him this year b/c next year is a team option (which we likely decline to go after better centers). He's really a $4-5m center who should play 22mpg.

man that 9/10 million would have gotten us Stephenson/Deng and we ended with this guy
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
He was never going to be part of the team's long term plans. We missed on our targeted free agents and we overpaid him this year b/c next year is a team option (which we likely decline to go after better centers). He's really a $4-5m center who should play 22mpg.

man that 9/10 million would have gotten us Stephenson/Deng and we ended with this guy

Based on the speed of the Lin/Hill/Young moves, I think it was LBJ/Melo or bust for them. It didn't look like they were going for anything in between. With the possible huge shift in cap space due to the TV revenues for 2016, a 9-10m deal wouldn't have hurt as much. But then again, Lakers probably were worried about not being able to get any big men.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

Channing Frye got 4 yrs 32 mil I am sure Hill would have gotten better than 1 year 9 mil elsewhere was a fair rate for a starting big man, which is what he will be, anyway if Davis out performs him we have no commitment to Hill outside this year anyway
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Channing Frye got 4 yrs 32 mil I am sure Hill would have gotten better than 1 year 9 mil elsewhere was a fair rate for a starting big man, which is what he will be, anyway if Davis out performs him we have no commitment to Hill outside this year anyway

Frye was coveted for his stretch big shooting.

I'm not sure Hill gets more than 9m. I think teams know he is a great energy big man off the bench.

Remember, Davis is a Hill-lite and he took the minimum.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pmacla wrote:

I'm not sure Hill gets more than 9m. I think teams know he is a great energy big man off the bench.

He doesnt get more than 9 mil for multiple years but I am sure there where at least 3 yrs 20 mil out there for him
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pmacla wrote:

He doesnt get more than 9 mil for multiple years but I am sure there where at least 3 yrs 20 mil out there for him

That's probably around right. About the MLE, which is a good value for a big man who plays around 22-25 mpg off the bench backing up both frontcourt positions.

Orlando overpaid for Frye, and they outbid themselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Do you really think Stephenson or Deng would have signed a $9 mil, 2 year deal with a team option after year 1? I don't.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: I don't see much Improvement in Hill's game

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I understand the loyal factor and why we bought him back.... but the contract he got... he should perform more for what the Lakers gave him..... it really doesn't look like Hill is gonna be apart of our long-term plans... I diff think he's gonna get traded sometime during the season... he looks like the same player he was in the last 2 years..... I figured the Lakers knew something when they gave him that raise in salary but guess I was wrong.

1. He got that contract because it's basically a one-year deal -- the Lakers overpaid him for one year to preserve future cap space.

2. I wouldn't expect a guy in his 4th or 5th year to have some exponential jump. Hill is what he is. Paying him more doesn't change that.

3. He has a no-trade clause, so he'll only get drafted if he agrees to it.

4. His trade value depends on how well he's playing. If you want to trade him because you dislike his performance, you shouldn't expect to get much for him. You know when he'll have value -- when Laker fans start saying, "Hmm - no don't trade him! He's too good!"
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject:

What happened to the commas, 2.0? I used to read your posts in a Christopher Walken voice, now I'm hearing the kid in the wheelchair from Malcolm in The Middle.
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
What happened to the commas, 2.0? I used to read your posts in a Christopher Walken voice, now I'm hearing the kid in the wheelchair from Malcolm in The Middle.

silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I think there is a few teams Hill wouldn't mind getting traded to....the Suns
because the nightlife over there is probably the same like in L.A.

and probably Orlando...

But that requires the Suns:
1. sending $9m in contracts back;
2. be willing to eat $9m next season for Hill (assuming he won't approve of the trade).

What are we getting back from them? I don't see it.
75% of 9 mill needs to be sent back i think or 6.75 mil.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I think there is a few teams Hill wouldn't mind getting traded to....the Suns
because the nightlife over there is probably the same like in L.A.

and probably Orlando...

But that requires the Suns:
1. sending $9m in contracts back;
2. be willing to eat $9m next season for Hill (assuming he won't approve of the trade).

What are we getting back from them? I don't see it.
75% of 9 mill needs to be sent back i think or 6.75 mil.

No trade kickers?
razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

As I predicted, Hill at center is a disaster.....
1.Hill is not a center, he's a rebounding forward.
2.Hill is flat footed, low and slow, don't expect any fast switches, or aggressive shot blocking or wagging of the finger to get that stuff outta here.
3. Cut that freakin hair off, its bad for aerodynamics.
4. Start Davis at center or just bag the season.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm not as worried as some about Hill, he is a veteran and knows the difference between the preseason and the regular season. I also believe that Scotts workouts has taken some of his hops. Most of the Lakers players need to showcase their talents, and in Kobe's and Nash's case they need the pre season to find their games after the injury plague seasons. I think Hill will be productive when he gets past the pre season conditioning, IF he can stay healthy. Is he a star player, no way, but I am not giving up on Hill, I would rather him coming off the bench because Davis is the Lakers best big, I think?
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I read a article piece that mentioned.... Brook Lopez being in the trade block... I wouldn't mind getting Brook Lopez... I think he would be a great fit next to Randle or any other big-man we use next to him.
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I read a article piece that mentioned.... Brook Lopez being in the trade block... I wouldn't mind getting Brook Lopez... I think he would be a great fit next to Randle or any other big-man we use next to him.

really? He would be a very nice piece.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Here's the piece mentioning it...

LINK

Probably nothing.... but still something to talk about... we have a lot of young assets we can use... that might entice the Nets..
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

No to Brook. Walking injury and no defense.
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

If we were in mid-season I could see he point of this thread. But being just 2 game into pre-season sounds like chicken little saying " the sky is falling" especially since mr Hill a couple of nights ago outplayed Kenneth Faried who is highly regarded in the league and just secured a pretty hefty contract after a pretty good showing at FIBA. I'd say Mr Hill was doing ok at this very early PRE-SEASON sched. hopefully OP is not rooting for him to fail so as to prove a point. I know i'm not .
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Hill is a backup big guy, ideally in the role Turiaf had in 2006-2008. He's going to come up short if you expect him to be a successful starting C. Same with Davis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Hill's had one good game and one bad game.

It's pre-season. Now aint the time he's gonna drop 20/15 every night.

Donrtk fall into the trap.

Hill hits 2 jumpers in the preaiseason opener it means he improved it. He makes one of three in the 2nd game and its tragic?

Ill's had one bad game and one good game. Way too early to start this kind of talk. If by the 3rd weke of training camp Hill is still playing bad then worry.

Don't forget how horrible Jodie looked last re-season. Its called pre-season for a reason.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Hills numbers per 36 minutes last season: 16.7 points, 12.8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks. The problem is he only played 21 minutes per game.

I don't think we can really expect any huge improvements from Hill, the exception would be perhaps an improved jumper. He's an energy player who puts up good numbers when he's on the court generally. The question mark is if he can give you any more than 21 minutes a game without his body breaking down. The Lakers didn't really have a chance to determine that last season because he was often in D'antoni's doghouse. Hill's contract is weighted so that he can be a useful trade chip, and they can get out of it if they aren't happy with what they see this season.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Hill's had one good game and one bad game.

It's pre-season. Now aint the time he's gonna drop 20/15 every night.

Donrtk fall into the trap.

Hill hits 2 jumpers in the preaiseason opener it means he improved it. He makes one of three in the 2nd game and its tragic?

Ill's had one bad game and one good game. Way too early to start this kind of talk. If by the 3rd weke of training camp Hill is still playing bad then worry.

Don't forget how horrible Jodie looked last re-season. Its called pre-season for a reason.

This

Man, this is crazy here! It is preseason and only 2 games played. People here went from randle is Barkley to randle will never be a starter.
Same with Hill....one day hes alegit starting center and after game 2 hes a scrub

Wait until midseason, then rate them
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
We're only two games into the PRE-SEASON. smh

same thing I was thinking

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: