I don't see much Improvement in Hill's game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Classic example of how salary dictates expectations. If Hill were still making 4.5 M a year, people would be happy with who he was. I think the Lakers overpaid him on an annual basis to get him to accept less years. Hill wasn't going to get a 8.5 M a year deal (starting big money) on a 4-5 year deal anywhere. He was probably going to get the same annual pay he had last year on a 3-4 year deal. So Lakers had to overpay him on an annual basis to keep their cap flex. Unfortunately for Hill, that now means he'll be expected to become a starting caliber C/big guy, which I'd love to see happen, but simply don't think he has the talent for.

This. People thought differently about hill as a $3m/22-24 mpg big off the bench. Now he's a starter and $9m. Big difference.

I must have been sleeping..... the Lakers actually gave Hill 9 mil?
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

^They did. Hill is what he is...if Hill is going to be starting and splitting minutes with Davis; then, IMO, Davis should finish the games in the 4th quarter. I think he's a better defensive player at this point in their respective careers.
Firelord_Rag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't see much Improvement in Hill's game

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I understand the loyal factor and why we bought him back.... but the contract he got... he should perform more for what the Lakers gave him..... it really doesn't look like Hill is gonna be apart of our long-term plans... I diff think he's gonna get traded sometime during the season... he looks like the same player he was in the last 2 years..... I figured the Lakers knew something when they gave him that raise in salary but guess I was wrong.

Hill's midrange game looked very nice tonight. I hope thats something he can keep up consistently so the PGs will know to look for him.
dxdx
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Time to eat crow guys.

Tonight could be an outlier though, but damn was he crazy good.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

dxdx wrote:
Time to eat crow guys.

Tonight could be an outlier though, but damn was he crazy good.

Too many people jump to conclusions based on a few minutes of preseason ball. Vets will not go all out in preseason. Specially the vets on big contracts. THIS is what Hill really is. This is what he was doing last year as well, whenever MDA gave him a chance. Some people have short memories around here.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Hill played well, but defensively... he still struggled.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Now if we can just bottle up this version of him for the rest of the year.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Hill played well, but defensively... he still struggled.

Blake destroyed him. But it's Blake, he kills everyone.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Wait..............The person that started this thread predicted we would go 8-2 or better?.............. Ok then............
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject:

He's averaged 12/9/1/1 (48% fg) through three games.
MambaBamba
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject:

I had no idea Hill could shoot the midrange like he did last night, even if they were open and uncontested. That's a legit weapon Kobe and Lin can use on the floor on the kick out.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject:

A THOUSAND JUMPERS PER DAY!!!

If he can do this on a daily basis... still to be seen
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

Clippers weren't even guarding him...or anyone much for that matter.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

(crickets x 3)

The op indicated that there was no noticeable improvement in Hill. 2 consecutive effective shooting and scoring games have shown differently. Now the topic changed to his defense. Before we move the measuring stick, the fair thing to do is acknowledge that he absolutely has improved.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Clippers weren't even guarding him...or anyone much for that matter.

but that is to be expected considering i'm sure most teams didn't think he could make that shot. Now that will start helping open up lanes for guards because teams will hesitate to leave that jumpshot open when doubling the screen.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject:

How are all the experts feeling about Hill and him being a scrub and seeing no improvement in his game....??? Back-to-back 20+ point games, outstanding jump-shooting, assists, boards and blocks

Time for some of the experts to show some respect. Dude can ball, as I've always said
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
How are all the experts feeling about Hill and him being a scrub and seeing no improvement in his game....??? Back-to-back 20+ point games, outstanding jump-shooting, assists, boards and blocks

Time for some of the experts to show some respect. Dude can ball, as I've always said

Nope, still didn't rebound defensively well and his offensive rebound numbers dipped because he's shooting well now.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:

Nope, still didn't rebound defensively well and his offensive rebound numbers dipped because he's shooting well now.

Ok then. You obviously can't be pleased and will just continue to pick and be negative....that's your prerogative though I guess....
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject:

J. Chill has balled-out the last few games.
Happy for him just hope that he can keep it up.
Lakers Team
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:

Offensively Hill should develop into stretch 4. Defensively agree

When a Centre took long jumpers, at the top key, we're suspect for opponents Fast break/transition point, since no one else do the offensive rebound

Under Byron slow and half-court O we need inside presence down the post, a body can post up, and grab offensive rebound regularly

Last edited by Lakers Team on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject:

His shot has been falling the past few games...but pretty much in all other aspects of the game, he looks slow and pretty sloppy. Even his trademark rebounding/hustle/garbageman game has been subpar. On defense, he doesn't stop anyone or protect the rim, on offense, he's got his midrange/spot up which is good....but can't post up, doesn't know how to set a screen, can't move without the ball, and can't pass worth a lick either.

He's basically a poor man's version of Elden Campbell.
dxdx
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
His shot has been falling the past few games...but pretty much in all other aspects of the game, he looks slow and pretty sloppy. Even his trademark rebounding/hustle/garbageman game has been subpar. On defense, he doesn't stop anyone or protect the rim, on offense, he's got his midrange/spot up which is good....but can't post up, doesn't know how to set a screen, can't move without the ball, and can't pass worth a lick either.

He's basically a poor man's version of Elden Campbell.

Quite right. It's like as if he spent pre-season practicing long 2s and becoming a vegetarian.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Hill through 5 games: 14.2 points (52.8% fg), 9.2 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.6 blocks, 0.2 steals in 29.8 minutes.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject:

The thing is, Hill doesn't need to improve much. He can always hang his hat on rebounding, and for a center, he's aggressive in searching for his offense and can finish. There's great value in that. With an added mid-range polish, he's even more useful than before.

That's why it's all relative. When Hill underachieves relative to his talent level, it's still better than say, Carlos Boozer exceeding all expectations relative to his current talent level. My player grades reflect that.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject:

15 points, 15 rebounds, 3 blocks v.s. Suns Tuesday; great effort & energy.

Hill has been very solid.

So far, so good!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: