'Just because he's black, doesn't mean he's here to rob a house': White attorney outraged when D.C. cops accuse neighborhood handyman of robbery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: 'Just because he's black, doesn't mean he's here to rob a house': White attorney outraged when D.C. cops accuse neighborhood handyman of robbery

Very sad, but kudos to the individual who stood up for the poor man. What complicates the "narrative" is that both police officers are black. Major class issues here with the obvious racial angle.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/attorney-outraged-cops-accuse-handyman-robbery-article-1.1969839
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

Props to that female lawyer who stood up for him.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject:

Probably has a lot to do with money also. If I wasn't dressed in a suit like a rich white guy in that neighborhood, I would be questioned also.
25 something years ago, I was stopped and question by the roadside by the cops because my friends and I were the only asians in the Huntington Beach area. Now that entire place is all Asians.
If that lawyer didn't know her handyman, she probably wouldn't even say anything.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Probably has a lot to do with money also. If I wasn't dressed in a suit like a rich white guy in that neighborhood, I would be questioned also.
25 something years ago, I was stopped and question by the roadside by the cops because my friends and I were the only asians in the Huntington Beach area. Now that entire place is all Asians.
If that lawyer didn't know her handyman, she probably wouldn't even say anything.

If the man has been working in the neighborhood for 30 years he was probably known by most of the neighbors of the lawyer.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

What makes this situation even more FUBAR is:

1. the alleged burglary took place nearly a mile away;
2. there was no burglary. The home owner tripped their own alarm.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

More on the Stucky stop

I'm going to try to stay on this to see what, if anything, happens to the officers.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

You'd be surprised at the racism even within the African-American community. Racist African-American cops are hardly rare-- many of them view themselves as superior to working-class African-Americans and act accordingly.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Kinda sound like that story in Nortj Carolima where a black teenager who was adopted by a white family, had the cops called on him for going into his own house.
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Kinda sound like that story in Nortj Carolima where a black teenager who was adopted by a white family, had the cops called on him for going into his own house.

he was tasered in his own home too
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Lawyer disrespected law enforcement. Westby interfered with a officer in the process of performing her duties.

IMO said officer was not handling the situation in a manner conducive to maintaing a calm but she was law enforcement.

I think the officer was intimidated because Westby was White. If she had been Black there would have been a different ending.

If this had gone down in Los Angeles the lawyer, the handyman and anyone else who interfered would have been arrested.

Side note: DC law enforcement officers a really out of shape. That woman was fat!

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

This is another case of police not knowing the neighborhoods they police, too, which is the cause of a lot of problems including this one. If that guy was a fixture for 30 years, the beat cops should have known him.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

Careful, you don't know that they were called because he was black. He might have been acting "suspiciously"
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:

Late 90's. Spring night. In DC. driving my Mercedes Convertible. Stopped at a light. 5-0 pulls up and black driver says to black partner, "Maybe I should try a new line of work so that I can drive a ride like that." I said, "Maybe you should back to school, maintain 3.7 GPA with all A's in science courses while working 20 hours a week, then go to Stanford Medical School, graduate in top 10, and then work 100 hour a week in residency for three years so that you can become an emergency doctor and then maybe you can buy a ride like this."

"Oh, sorry Doc."

Damned if I do and damned if i don't. My only sin is the skin I'm in.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Careful, you don't know that they were called because he was black. He might have been acting "suspiciously"

reminds me of this

the guy must have broke in and put up pictures of his family
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject:

oliverginob wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

reminds me of this

the guy must have broke in and put up pictures of his family

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject:

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong handyman ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no civil rights ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

So it's your assertion that no one ever acts suspiciously?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

I see what you did there. It's called throwing fuel on the fire for no reason other than to encourage the flames. Please don't.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

I see what you did there. It's called throwing fuel on the fire for no reason other than to encourage the flames. Please don't.

I don't see that anymore fueling than other posts. Why did you single that one out?

Just curious.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

I don't see that anymore fueling than other posts. Why did you single that one out?

Just curious.

That specific comment was referencing something that was discussed in a previously locked thread. In essence it was bringing a previous argument with a specific poster into this thread in order to take a shot at that poster. Just stick to the current discussion and we'll have no problem. Mods have long memories.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Just curious.

That specific comment was referencing something that was discussed in a previously locked thread. In essence it was bringing a previous argument with a specific poster into this thread in order to take a shot at that poster. Just stick to the current discussion and we'll have no problem. Mods have long memories.

Thanks. Don't know what thread you're referencing but I understand.

I may be misreading but Mods have long memories sounds a bit threatening.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Just curious.

One might say KBCB is acting "suspiciously" like a troll, or maybe not even "suspiciously".
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Just curious.

Thanks. Don't know what thread you're referencing but I understand.

I may be misreading but Mods have long memories sounds a bit threatening.

I remembered what was said in the other thread. That is all.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

All right, that's enough of talking about other posters. Back to the topic. Thanks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: