So....I still don't understand how healthy Nash is??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

NickF wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Do you think that if Nash is hurt again (beyond something very minor) that he will just throw in the towel and retire?

He already said he was here just for the money. http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-03-13/steve-nash-lakers-retirement-salary-contract-kobe-bryant-mike-dantoni-jim-buss-jeanie-buss-phil-jackson

Doubt anything has changed.

The only change is you adding words to Nash's mouth. Because that isn't what he said.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
NickF wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Do you think that if Nash is hurt again (beyond something very minor) that he will just throw in the towel and retire?

He already said he was here just for the money. http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-03-13/steve-nash-lakers-retirement-salary-contract-kobe-bryant-mike-dantoni-jim-buss-jeanie-buss-phil-jackson

The only change is you adding words to Nash's mouth. Because that isn't what he said.

He said the money was important, and yes, he was going to take it, but he also said he wants to play.
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
NickF wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Did he not say this: "On the other hand, it's just a reality, I'm not going to retire because I want the money," Nash said. "It's honest." ?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

NickF wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
NickF wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Did he not say this: "On the other hand, it's just a reality, I'm not going to retire because I want the money," Nash said. "It's honest." ?

Yes. He just didn't say that was the only reason.
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
NickF wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
NickF wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
NickF wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
NickF wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Broken down player says he wants the money and also says he is here to play, ok.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

NickF wrote:
24 wrote:
NickF wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
NickF wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

Broken down player says he wants the money and also says he is here to play, ok.

You think Nash busted his ass all offseason to not play? You think he's in that kind of shape to just show up and accept his check? He merely admitted he wants his money even if he can't make it back. But make no mistake, he wants very badly to be on that floor.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I have no doubt wants to play but his body just isn't up to the rigors of an NBA season; at this point, with the inconsistency of whether or not he's playing from game to game, his horrific defense, the fact that he's older & slower, I consider him a liability out there, period. Develop some younger talent and people that have a chance to be here beyond this season.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Lets put an end to the "nash is only in it for the money"

EVERY NBA player is in it for the money.

Nash is also putting his body through a lot of trevail and pain with a rigorous work out regime to put his both in position for him to actually play in the NBA for this team.

Nash is at a point in his career where he could say literally every night "eh I'm just not feeling it today, I'm not gonna play."

But Nash is out there busting his tail, sometimes harder than the guys 20 years his junior and hanging with them. Nash is pushing his body to limits he really doesn't have to if he just retired, and he's putting his body through that because he wants to play, and play for the Lakers.

He isn't sitting back, not practicing, getting fat and collecting his paycheck. He's working harder than anyone else on this team NOT named Kobe.

And if you ignore that and just want to bring up the "money" quote, then you are only creating a mountain out of a molehill because if you acknowledge everything Nash is doing you wouldn't be able to discredit him at all. If anything its admirable.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Even if he doesn't lead the first or second unit, he could still be an interesting option off the bench. I'd still like to see him on the floor sometimes, if only to teach Lin and Clarkson.

But yeah, as a regular rotation player, it is hard to imagine right now.

Feel bad for him, but time to be realistic.
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Nash is also putting his body through a lot of trevail and pain with a rigorous work out regime to put his both in position for him to actually play in the NBA for this team.

Nash is at a point in his career where he could say literally every night "eh I'm just not feeling it today, I'm not gonna play."

But Nash is out there busting his tail, sometimes harder than the guys 20 years his junior and hanging with them. Nash is pushing his body to limits he really doesn't have to if he just retired, and he's putting his body through that because he wants to play, and play for the Lakers.

He isn't sitting back, not practicing, getting fat and collecting his paycheck. He's working harder than anyone else on this team NOT named Kobe.

And if you ignore that and just want to bring up the "money" quote, then you are only creating a mountain out of a molehill because if you acknowledge everything Nash is doing you wouldn't be able to discredit him at all. If anything its admirable.

This is a basketball team not a charity, you are busting your ass that is incredible, but you can not play basketball to any kind of acceptable level anymore. Is Lakers here to win or be a retirement home?
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject:

NickF wrote:
MJST wrote:

This is a basketball team not a charity, you are busting your ass that is incredible, but you can not play basketball to any kind of acceptable level anymore. Is Lakers here to win or be a retirement home?

Don't worry; don't you know he's the best PG on the floor when healthy. He'll also play in more than 60 games this year and be very productive. Yeah right. What's going to happen is he'll take away time from the guys that can develop and hopefully have a future with us (Lin.) I wished he would just retire and go away....
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
With Steve Nash asking out of Sunday's game, the attention only intensified on what the team planned to do with him over the next six months. He will sit out about one-fourth of their 82 games throughout the regular season, approximately one a week, to help manage chronic nerve damage in his back, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Nash, 40, played only 15 games last season and could not finish the Lakers' 116-75 loss to Golden State on Sunday, their second-biggest preseason defeat since they started tracking exhibition scores and stats in 1982.

"He just didn't feel himself. He didn't say what it was particularly," Lakers Coach Byron Scott said Monday. "Being that he's been in this league for that long, and he understands his body a whole better than I do, I take that for what it's worth and sit him down the rest of the game."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20141014-story.html
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:

This is just so sad. Tragic. Hilarious. Pathetic. So many things.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:

On the brigt side, if Nash breaks down completely, he could net LA a sizable injured player exception.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

My sentiments exactly...
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
On the brigt side, if Nash breaks down completely, he could net LA a sizable injured player exception.

any thoughts as to who's still out there to get with that exception?
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:

honestly though, healthy nash or no nash, team will struggle to win games. if this were a 35 year old nash then that might make a difference. he's 40!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject:

NickF wrote:
MJST wrote:

I guess guaranteed contracts don't enter the conversation?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Quote:
With Steve Nash asking out of Sunday's game, the attention only intensified on what the team planned to do with him over the next six months. He will sit out about one-fourth of their 82 games throughout the regular season, approximately one a week, to help manage chronic nerve damage in his back, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Nash, 40, played only 15 games last season and could not finish the Lakers' 116-75 loss to Golden State on Sunday, their second-biggest preseason defeat since they started tracking exhibition scores and stats in 1982.

"He just didn't feel himself. He didn't say what it was particularly," Lakers Coach Byron Scott said Monday. "Being that he's been in this league for that long, and he understands his body a whole better than I do, I take that for what it's worth and sit him down the rest of the game."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20141014-story.html

My guess is what they hope to do with him is play him enough that he leaves a good impression and is wanted at the deadline by a contender as a bench shooter with a big ending contract.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
I remember long ago when I just started to follow the Lakers that Jerry West was repeatedly experiencing abdominal strains and early in the season (if not during the preseason) he decided to retire.

Jerry West was a different breed in a different era. Nash won't put the needs of the team over his own mid-life crisis/money grab. Hey, Steve. You're 40. It's over. Move on and let the team move on.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject:

"A little sciatica problem..." Eh? Hmmmm...

janis carr @janiscarr · 11h 11 hours ago
Nash said he's ok. Experienced "little sciatica problem" in last nights game. Didn't want it to get worse so asked to come out
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
NickF wrote:
24 wrote:
NickF wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
NickF wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

You think Nash busted his ass all offseason to not play? You think he's in that kind of shape to just show up and accept his check? He merely admitted he wants his money even if he can't make it back. But make no mistake, he wants very badly to be on that floor.

Then he should be on the floor for every regular season game. Hope these taking games off thing is just for the preseason. Play him limited minutes, fine, but he should be there every game if healthy. I hope he didn't bust his ass to be a part time player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject:

I have no doubts nash works very hard. He's in great shape....for a 40 year old. That being said, this is a younger man's game.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

In a way though it's just pre-season. Seems to me he could've played if it were a regular season game.

If he can't go though - injured player exception. Though, I'd have no idea who the Lakers could possibly use that on lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: