Rumor: Lakers to offer full-max to Klay Thompson if he becomes a FA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

At Young type of money Lin would be a nice signing. Only I would guess he would get more, closer to $8 mil per than $5 mil per.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers got Klay his daddy would be happy as a sissy in a cc camp.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

^If he gets in between $5 to 8 million, that's fine...with the Cap going up, that would be a solid signing...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Klay is good but he's not the type of player that can carry a team to the playoffs. Great shooter, but lacks playmaking ability and can't consistently create off the dribble.

Derozan is the player I want on the Lakers. Can create off the dribble, super athletic and has playmaking ability. He'll be a FA in 2016.

And in 2016, teams would have to pay him a higher prorated salary thanks to the TV deal; you pay Klay the rookie max now and he probably makes less than DeRozan in 2016. That's a steal.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

Just watched an interview on sports enter with Klay and curry and Klay is wearing a purple shirt that says "Los Angeles needs Basketball"

interesting
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
^If he gets in between $5 to 8 million, that's fine...with the Cap going up, that would be a solid signing...

**Edit ... After reading your post again I am not sure if you were referring to Lin or Klay ...

$5-8M first starting salary in a multi-year deal for Lin would be reasonable, depending on how the contract is structured. Klay is going to command about twice that.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."

Last edited by LakersInFour on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

He'd command twice that if he were a free agent now. If the Lakers are serious about acquiring him, their offer will be significantly more than $5-8M.

He might choose to sign an extension at a fair price based on his basketball skills alone.

He can always get bigger endorsement money in big market teams. Also, somehow I feel Lin is not that type of person who care too much about his pay check.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

**Edit ... After reading your post again I am not sure if you were referring to Lin or Klay ...

$5-8M first starting salary in a multi-year deal for Lin would be reasonable, depending on how the contract is structured. Klay is going to command about twice that.

I was referring to Lin.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject:

I think Lin is going to realize how lucrative it is to be a Laker. This is a good portal to many endorsement deals.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

He'd command twice that if he were a free agent now. If the Lakers are serious about acquiring him, their offer will be significantly more than $5-8M.

He might choose to sign an extension at a fair price based on his basketball skills alone.

He can always get bigger endorsement money in big market teams. Also, somehow I feel Lin is not that type of person who care too much about his pay check.

Was referring to Klay, not Lin.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
qiantom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Lin is going to realize how lucrative it is to be a Laker. This is a good portal to many endorsement deals.

This probably means little to Lin.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-26/jeremy-lin-says-he-spurned-millions-of-dollars-in-linsanity-era.html
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

qiantom wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This probably means little to Lin.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-26/jeremy-lin-says-he-spurned-millions-of-dollars-in-linsanity-era.html

Sure, but that was during the height of Linsanity. Now, as he looks to settle himself down somewhere, I think it does matter. Heck, he could go play for Milwaukee and get $1m more; or live in LA and just live the dream.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

nice rumor. Good ploy from the Thompson camp to put pressure on GS.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

I think Lin's in a weird spot re: endorsements. Linsanity was a perfect storm of a player taking off on a team/fanbase that was starved for any kind of success. Remember that it's been 20 years since the Knicks were a title-contending team and 40 years since a they were a title-winning team.

On the Lakers? Even coming off the season we had, mega success is still fresh in our minds. We've had three Hall-of-Famers win titles on this roster within the last ten years, with several others (GP, Malone, Nash, and ugh, yes, Dwight) making cameos in that time.

Do any Laker fans really have anything beyond tepid expectations or cautious optimism with Lin? Considering the caliber of star we're used to, he's as ho-hum as acquisitions get. And will being a Laker really raise Lin's profile any more overseas? Especially when he's very unlikely to ever reach his Linsanity levels of production again? Probably not.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I think Lin's in a weird spot re: endorsements. Linsanity was a perfect storm of a player taking off on a team/fanbase that was starved for any kind of success. Remember that it's been 20 years since the Knicks were a title-contending team and 40 years since a they were a title-winning team.

On the Lakers? Even coming off the season we had, mega success is still fresh in our minds. We've had three Hall-of-Famers win titles on this roster within the last ten years, with several others (GP, Malone, Nash, and ugh, yes, Dwight) making cameos in that time.

Do any Laker fans really have anything beyond tepid expectations or cautious optimism with Lin? Considering the caliber of star we're used to, he's as ho-hum as acquisitions get. And will being a Laker really raise Lin's profile any more overseas? Especially when he's very unlikely to ever reach his Linsanity levels of production again? Probably not.

If he reaches solid starting PG level consistent production for us this year he will be more popular than ever before. If he plays very well this year and we sign him to a 4 year deal he'll start getting enormous endorsement offers because they know he'll be at the center of media attention for a long time.
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I think he stays in GS but hes a Laker if he leaves
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Lin himself said he has to turn down many endorsement deals. I think he'll do just fine making millions. And he's not afraid to be out there. His next contract will probably be like Nash'. That's decent for starters. All he has to do is get around 12ppg/8 assts. Of course if Rondo comes west. Lakers will have to decide, near max or not.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
Lin himself said he has to turn down many endorsement deals. I think he'll do just fine making millions. And he's not afraid to be out there. His next contract will probably be like Nash'. That's decent for starters. All he has to do is get around 12ppg/8 assts. Of course if Rondo comes west. Lakers will have to decide, near max or not.

Why does he have to turn down endorsement deals?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

If he reaches solid starting PG level consistent production for us this year he will be more popular than ever before. If he plays very well this year and we sign him to a 4 year deal he'll start getting enormous endorsement offers because they know he'll be at the center of media attention for a long time.

Well, i don't know what qualifies for "solid starting PG level consistent production," but he averaged something like 28/8 his first 7 games with the Knicks, winning all 7, eventually getting the Knicks back to .500 in 12 games. This is drop in the bucket stuff compared to real superstars (especially Laker ones), but again, this was in a success and superstar-starved market (Amare was limping at this point and Melo was injured and looking out of place in MDA's offense) where the media makes Himalayan ranges out of ant hills.

I don't foresee a no less robust, but significantly less sensational and hyperbolic LA sports media market making Lin "more popular than ever before" provided he submits "solid starting PG level consistent production."
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DimesnD wrote:

He is a devout Christian, so maybe he finds shilling for corporations just to make extra money anathema to his spiritual beliefs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DimesnD wrote:

He is a devout Christian, so maybe he finds shilling for corporations just to make extra money anathema to his spiritual beliefs.

More tithes.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
What is the general consensus re: Klay's worth? Personally I don't think he's worth a max slot. More like 14-15 mil. His passing and rebounding are both subpar and offensively he's far from a number one option. There are superior players (Monta Ellis) at his position that don't make the max. I think it'd be a big mistake to blow a max slot on him.

Considering the cap increase and what other players have gotten (Bledsoe, Parsons, Hayward) he is worth the max because he will be able to get it from a team, if not multiple ones.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I still don't think he's a 17 M a year player (if that's what he is expecting). 80+ M for Klay is nuts. He's a very good player. But teams like the Spurs won rings with guys as good as Klay making 6th man money. I don't think Klay overall has more impact than Tony Parker did in SA's runs.

If I were the Lakers, I'd refrain from paying anyone superstar money unless they actually were superstars. They are very few players in the league who are worth 15+ M on a contender. Klay isn't one of them, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I still don't think he's a 17 M a year player (if that's what he is expecting). 80+ M for Klay is nuts. He's a very good player. But teams like the Spurs won rings with guys as good as Klay making 6th man money. I don't think Klay overall has more impact than Tony Parker did in SA's runs.

If I were the Lakers, I'd refrain from paying anyone superstar money unless they actually were superstars. They are very few players in the league who are worth 15+ M on a contender. Klay isn't one of them, IMO.

What if that 17m will feel more like 13.5m when the cap rises thanks to the TV contracts?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

How many players currently in the league meet your criteria for Superstar?

With roughly 400 players in the NBA, one in the Top 20 would be in the top 5 percent of all players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: