Byron's Practices taking short term toll, but will yield long term success; According to Kobe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Byron's Practices taking short term toll, but will yield long term success; According to Kobe

Quote:
Silver Screen & Roll @LakersBlog_SSR ยท
Kobe evaluating his performance tonight: "I was [expletive]. Seriously."

Kobe said running hard in training camp has slowed the team down. Thinks there will be "fresh legs" once practice is lighter.

What Kobe also said was that he doesn't put much stock into these early games because the team has no legs, strictly because Byron keeps running them hard, even the day of the game for an hour and a half early on.

Also went on to say that Golden State isn't as good as they look against them and expects them to look fresher because they are, due to the fact that Byron ran them as well pretty hard today for an hour and a half and their legs were pretty much gone by game time.

But he also feels that as the conditioning gets to where Scott wants it that the practices will ease up on their legs and allow them to peak on game night and then that people will see a major difference. But that right now isn't that time as the team is still transitioning out of training camp mode(and has 3 weeks to go before the end of pre-season) but that they will be able to amp it up later in the pre-season which is why he isn't putting much stock with how good Golden State looks against us because he feels a lot of it has to do with the team having no legs due to being run hard every day.

So we shall see, I do hope that Byron knows what he is doing because if you're running Kobe, Nash and the team the days of the game then you're playing with fire as far as they go if everyone is exhausted before the game even begins.

Not so much for the young players whom can take it for the most part, but I'd ease up on it with Kobe personally.

IF Byron is willing to lose games early in pre-season for the sake of improving conditioning by having us play a game exhausted because he runs us full force in practice and/or the day of the game then yes we'll be a well conditioned team by the time the season gets here.

The risk is that if we play exhausted or without legs it could potentially increase the chance for us to get hurt if it's not monitored right.

Thus far Scott has done the right thing with our minutes and hopefully it stays that way till he's happy with our conditioning, one hopes we hit that area sooner rather than later.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject:

These two losses are more than just tired legs.

But we also didn't have our best Pg, and 2-3 rotation pieces. But no mistake the Warriors are a tier (or two above us).
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a fan of coaches that spend a good chunk of practices on conditioning. How much time you think Pop/Phil spend on that?
KG24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
I'm not a fan of coaches that spend a good chunk of practices on conditioning. How much time you think Pop/Phil spend on that?

Conditioning always pays off... it makes you more consistent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

Phil challenges guys mentally.. but then Shaq came into camp fat and out of shape every year after 2000.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

It would depend on how well conditioned their players are coming into training camp.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Nahtanoj wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Phil challenges guys mentally.. but then Shaq came into camp fat and out of shape every year after 2000.

Shaq was the exception. He always showed up when it mattered. Also, Shaq got beat up 10 times more than any player in the NBA.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Nahtanoj wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Shaq was the exception. He always showed up when it mattered. Also, Shaq got beat up 10 times more than any player in the NBA.

That's also why Shaq's dominant run only lasted 4-5 seasons and Kobe's lasted 18 years.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
Nahtanoj wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

That's also why Shaq's dominant run only lasted 4-5 seasons and Kobe's lasted 18 years.

Oh come on, Shaq dominated from the moment he came into the league in 93 thru 2006.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
MJST wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
Nahtanoj wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Oh come on, Shaq dominated from the moment he came into the league in 93 thru 2006.

He dominated till he got to Hakeem.

But Phil required Shaq to be on another level. THAT span of time with Phil only lasted for about 4-5 seasons with which the Lakers went to the finals 4 times.

At the same time even Shaq admits to this day that it was him trying to be 'fat and dominant' that took away some years of dominance in his career but the last time he was FULLY engaged was his MVP year and after that he was trying to be 'fat dominant.'.

Was pretty evident when he went to Miami and lost 30 pounds after being "ready" against the Pistons. It spoke volumes. At the same time those two years in Miami weren't as impressive and there's a reason he ended his career ring chasing on several teams while Kobe continued to be dominant.

if Shaq had the work ethic that Kobe had he would have been GOAT.

But he did not, that is why Shaq is Shaq and Kobe is Kobe.

But again this isn't about Shaq. So moving onward.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject:

on the subject of their conditioning, I do hope that they ease up so that they can peak on game night when they get to the point Scott wants them to be so we shall see if by week 3 or so we're seeing differences. But the Lakers today played like they had no legs.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject:

That's good to know and I was totally thinking to myself that they looked like they ran 50 suicides before the game
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject:

This would explain why kobe had no lift today.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:

chrisca91 wrote:
This would explain why kobe had no lift today.

It surely would for sure. I'm kinda disappointed in Kobe lift right now and not being able to take defenders off the dribble while getting into the lane. I pray his days of being elite player aren't over, but I fear it might be.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

If each of the Lakers had 3 fresh legs they won't be able to keep up with GS on most nights.

The Warriors' talent is vastly superior than the Lakers'.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
due to the fact that Byron ran them as well pretty hard today for an hour and a half

Really, Byron?

Kiss my Converse.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:
If each of the Lakers had 3 fresh legs they won't be able to keep up with GS on most nights.

Pretty much this. The tired legs is the Mike Brown excuse.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Capt.Skyhook wrote:

It may not be the excuse, but it's definitely a factor. The Lakers were lethargic from the opening tip. Sure, the Lakers are short on talent, but I just don't see the benefit of making the team run sprints on game day-- especially when 3 out of your 5 starters is on SS.

Kiss my Converse.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

They have yet to change time zones and the travel to games has been quite minor.

Increased travel and a more rigorous game schedule during the regular season might offset some of the gains made from an eased conditioning - practice routine.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

This is good in the long run. He wants them to not only be well conditioned... but to know how to fight through fatigue. Throw them out there tired and challenge them.

It will take a while for the team to have chemistry on the court. It will be a while before they know exactly where their teammates are going to be. So in the early season, when games count, the Lakers vest bet is to just out work everyone. Just be better conditioned and more consistent than everyone else.

Right now the games dont count. Many fans seem to forget that.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
Capt.Skyhook wrote:

It may not be the excuse, but it's definitely a factor. The Lakers were lethargic from the opening tip. Sure, the Lakers are short on talent, but I just don't see the benefit of making the team run sprints on game day-- especially when 3 out of your 5 starters is on SS.

It's not "game day" to them. It's just a scrimmage with people who aren't on their team. A game simulation. A time to test things out. Get that conditioning done. Fight through fatigue.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Wesley Johnson who is the most athletic guy on the roster that soars and skies through the air could barely get off the ground and dunk it on a fast break obviously their legs are gone.

There's no other way to explain that unless Wes was still hurt, and he wouldn't practice if that was the case. Their legs were gone from the first minute, they couldn't even fast break.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Better to look like garbage in preseason when the games don't matter than when the games do matter in the regular season. I trust Byron to prepare these guys for the season.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

This is one of my worries with Byron. We've got an older team. I'm not sure if it's wise to push them so hard.

On the other hand, I think sometimes MDA was too lax with his players.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

Reflexx wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
Capt.Skyhook wrote:

It's not "game day" to them. It's just a scrimmage with people who aren't on their team. A game simulation. A time to test things out. Get that conditioning done. Fight through fatigue.

Yeah. Look at Sacre getting Ed's minutes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: