What the Lakers team looked like last night
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject:

preseason or not, I have had it with these blow outs. Every game last year was a blow out, losing is a disease.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm a Dyed In The Wool Laker fan but I'm also a realist. This is the worst the Lakers have looked since I've been watching them and that's been 54, countum, 54 years.

I'm clinging to hope Mitch, will be given the reins to rebuild. I have no faith In Jim.

You apparently missed the entire second half of last season my friend...

What part did I miss?

The part where they looked far worse than the current squad.

Honestly two four I had more faith in that squad then I do in what I'm seeing now.

I didn't change channels last season because I had a feeling the team would respond. Maybe they wouldn't win but they would hustle and make a game of it. This squad does not seem to be of that ilk.

I'm not a happy camper

Nash was not right, Lin was out, Clarkson was out, Kelly was out, Young was out, Scott has been working the crap out of them and ran the legs off of them on purpose (per Emplay) to give them dead legs, and he held out their best rim defender. I think you might not be watching the product LA will be putting on the floor this year.

Spot on.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
I may be completely wrong about this, and I'm sure there will be others who will say so, but I have always believed that preseason games are not supposed to be about winning or losing (unless you have a particularly bad team, in which case you play your starting line up of first round draft pick rookies, so they'll have a chance to know what it feels like to win).

Preseason is for evaluating new players, new combinations, unorthodox plays and rotations to see what works and what doesn't.

Kerr was coaching like it was a regular season game.

I remember when Phil was coaching and we had a team of returning champions, you'd be lucky to see 10 minutes of the starters.

He already knew what the starters looked like, and he wasn't particularly anxious to tip off other teams as to what the actual team would look like during the regular season.

When everyone got excited because we won that first preseason game, I shook my head, but I understood that after last season there were lots of people so hungry for a win that they'd treat a preseason "victory" as if it were a regular season game.

Now, between ISIS, ebola, the plague (epidemic in Madagascar), and global warming, I can't guarantee that the world isn't coming to an end.

But if it does, it won't be because of how the Lakers played against the Warriors in preseason.

Last Season

Spurs Preseason Record: 3-6 Playoff Result: NBA Champions
Rockets Preseason Record: 6-7 Playoff Result: First Round Elimination

Last edited by -Showtime- on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Making judgments 3 games into preseason isn't wise, regardless of wins or losses.

Do you think if the Lakers were 3-0, folks wouldn't be asking to temper expectations, given it's preseason?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
Making judgments 3 games into preseason isn't wise, regardless of wins or losses.

Do you think if the Lakers were 3-0, folks wouldn't be asking to temper expectations, given it's preseason?

If we were 3-0, "tempered" is the last thing expectations would be. 24 would have to move the over/under to 50 games.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:

Can anyone name one positive so far in the preseason?

1. Kobe looking better than last year.

I think that's about it at this point.
Richmond
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm a Dyed In The Wool Laker fan but I'm also a realist. This is the worst the Lakers have looked since I've been watching them and that's been 54, countum, 54 years.

I'm clinging to hope Mitch, will be given the reins to rebuild. I have no faith In Jim.

You apparently missed the entire second half of last season my friend...

What part did I miss?

The part where they looked far worse than the current squad.

Honestly two four I had more faith in that squad then I do in what I'm seeing now.

I didn't change channels last season because I had a feeling the team would respond. Maybe they wouldn't win but they would hustle and make a game of it. This squad does not seem to be of that ilk.

I'm not a happy camper

Nash was not right, Lin was out, Clarkson was out, Kelly was out, Young was out, Scott has been working the crap out of them and ran the legs off of them on purpose (per Emplay) to give them dead legs, and he held out their best rim defender. I think you might not be watching the product LA will be putting on the floor this year.

What he said....The Lakers are honestly an expansion team at this point in regards to familiarity. It'll take time to get the chemistry going and guys like Lin and Nash will be key because they distribute the ball indiscriminately.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject:

It's preseason, but you see the Lakers giving up 3s, layups and FTs and shooting long twos the whole game. And the next game it gets worse with more long twos. And the next game even worse. So it's pretty easy to see something needs to change or else this season will be a complete disaster.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:

Getting blown out two times in a row against the same team, keep in mind we are talking about NBA teams, is alarming to say the least. Usually the team that just got blown out seeks revenge, unfortunately the Lakers could not stop the bleeding, that also tells me that the Lakers just do not have the talent to stop the bleeding. If this trend continues who is to blame, coaching or Mitch and Jim?

It is still fresh in my mind the 8 in a row preseason losses of resent past, many were not alarmed, that was a mistake, that team was bad. Preseason does matter especially if you are a team in transition like the Lakers are currently.

Will this team improve, yes because there is no where else to go when you are on the bottom.

I hope that Scott can instill Lakers pride in this team because that in itself will get this team some wins. This team needs to bust their Lakers butts to get wins, the purple and gold means something.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject:

Just for perspective, the clippers and thunder are a combined 1-4, and both have given up more points oer game than the Lakers. And Utah is 3-0 while holding opponents to the lowest scoring average in the league.
jenopogi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject:

how do they look? reflective of their rankings....
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank-lal-2014/
JL#7 in Purple and Gold. Shoutout to my Lakers4Life Buddy Ian M.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Just for perspective, the clippers and thunder are a combined 1-4, and both have given up more points oer game than the Lakers. And Utah is 3-0 while holding opponents to the lowest scoring average in the league.

Yeah, though for me, it's not the W/L record that concerns me.

It's what I'm watching.

Nash still looks broken. Kobe looks slow. Davis has emerged which is a nice surprise. Boozer is Boozer.

What's weird is 3 games in and I still don't know what we are good at (as a team). Is it just me? Like, what's our bread and butter?
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

It's what I'm watching.

Nash still looks broken. Kobe looks slow. Davis has emerged which is a nice surprise. Boozer is Boozer.

What's weird is 3 games in and I still don't know what we are good at (as a team). Is it just me? Like, what's our bread and butter?

Lakers are only, what? A few weeks into training camp? 7 new players. A new coach with essentially their 4th offense in as many years. Rotation players already out on injury (though, not serious)

I mean, I share the sentiment.. but it's 1) too early.. and 2) theres too many variables.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

It's what I'm watching.

Nothing. We might get average at a few things but it will take a lot of discipline and good coaching by Byron Scott. Imo this team ceiling in the west is 40 wins.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

2. Ed Davis looks like he can become a big factor.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
I may be completely wrong about this, and I'm sure there will be others who will say so, but I have always believed that preseason games are not supposed to be about winning or losing (unless you have a particularly bad team, in which case you play your starting line up of first round draft pick rookies, so they'll have a chance to know what it feels like to win).

Preseason is for evaluating new players, new combinations, unorthodox plays and rotations to see what works and what doesn't.

Kerr was coaching like it was a regular season game.

I remember when Phil was coaching and we had a team of returning champions, you'd be lucky to see 10 minutes of the starters.

He already knew what the starters looked like, and he wasn't particularly anxious to tip off other teams as to what the actual team would look like during the regular season.

When everyone got excited because we won that first preseason game, I shook my head, but I understood that after last season there were lots of people so hungry for a win that they'd treat a preseason "victory" as if it were a regular season game.

Now, between ISIS, ebola, the plague (epidemic in Madagascar), and global warming, I can't guarantee that the world isn't coming to an end.

But if it does, it won't be because of how the Lakers played against the Warriors in preseason.

Last Season

Spurs Preseason Record: 3-6 Playoff Result: NBA Champions
Rockets Preseason Record: 6-7 Playoff Result: First Round Elimination

I agree with you about preseason being a usually non predictive of regular season results particularly if this was as you said Pop or even Phil Jackson with Kobe and Shaq. However the way this team is constructed and the look on Byron's face, it honestly doesn't look good at all.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

It's what I'm watching.

Lakers are only, what? A few weeks into training camp? 7 new players. A new coach with essentially their 4th offense in as many years. Rotation players already out on injury (though, not serious)

I mean, I share the sentiment.. but it's 1) too early.. and 2) theres too many variables.

Hahahaha. We've been saying this for what ... 3 seasons now?

It's not too early. There have been many teams that had a lot of new pieces and clicked right away.

There are also some teams that took a while. And most (but not all) never really got things clicking (see Nets, Brooklyn 2013-2014).

I'm not expecting us to click right away. I'm looking for simple things. The emergence of a second option, for instance. Then we'll worry about clicking.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

It's what I'm watching.

It's not too early. There have been many teams that had a lot of new pieces and clicked right away.

There are also some teams that took a while. And most (but not all) never really got things clicking (see Nets, Brooklyn 2013-2014).

I'm not expecting us to click right away. I'm looking for simple things. The emergence of a second option, for instance. Then we'll worry about clicking.

Sounds like your expectations are too high. The Lakers WILL play way better than what we so far but will still have a really hard time to make the playoffs. The talent just isn't there.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

It's what I'm watching.

Sounds like your expectations are too high. The Lakers WILL play way better than what we so far but will still have a really hard time to make the playoffs. The talent just isn't there.

Too high? I have us penciled (not penned) in for 35-39 wins. So far I've seen nothing to change that.

I think the playoffs are so far out of reach for this team that it is almost an impossibility. Thought that before preseason, and think that now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

2. Ed Davis looks like he can become a big factor.

I like him. But I guess it depends on "big factor." I can see him putting up a respectable 10/9 with more minutes, but I guess it's all relative. He's good surprise
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

If I see that starting 5 out there against Houston, the first game of the season, that's going to be very disappointing. Our 1 and 4 are disasters at the defensive end.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Do you think the Lakers are going in the right direction?

I do not see shooters/scorers, although X and Young should help tremendously, I know some are not X supporters, but he is a slasher/scorer, he draws fouls, so does Young. But Kobe and Nash could do nothing against GS defense, that was alarming. Boozer so far has also looked slow and Wes has looked like he does not belong in the NBA, Hill has not shown up with his usual energy. The one bright spot is Davis he has NBA athletic talent and skill level. Randle IMO needs to start, the Lakers need his physical body and ability to get his shot off in traffic.

I think Scott needs to take a good look at who starts, he can't start a bunch of slow older players.

To your point about the Clips and Thunder giving up more points than the Lakers, the Lakers are having trouble scoring as well as giving up points, that is a concern.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
24 wrote:

Do you think the Lakers are going in the right direction?

I do not see shooters/scorers, although X and Young should help tremendously, I know some are not X supporters, but he is a slasher/scorer, he draws fouls, so does Young. But Kobe and Nash could do nothing against GS defense, that was alarming. Boozer so far has also looked slow and Wes has looked like he does not belong in the NBA, Hill has not shown up with his usual energy. The one bright spot is Davis he has NBA athletic talent and skill level. Randle IMO needs to start, the Lakers need his physical body and ability to get his shot off in traffic.

I think Scott needs to take a good look at who starts, he can't start a bunch of slow older players.

To your point about the Clips and Thunder giving up more points than the Lakers, the Lakers are having trouble scoring as well as giving up points, that is a concern.

As amazing as this sounds ... our team FG% through 3 games would actually drop if Xavier Henry played and shot his career average or the season average of any NBA season that he's ever played in for the entirety of his career.

So I'm not sure how I can assume that that would help tremendously.

Nick Young, I'd agree, but that's a lot of jumpers we're going to have to rely on. #notgoodinthehood
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
If I see that starting 5 out there against Houston, the first game of the season, that's going to be very disappointing. Our 1 and 4 are disasters at the defensive end.

and 3 and 2 and 5... Frankly out of all of them I see Boozer screwing up the least. His job is basically help off his man after Kobe surrenders penetration (that may be by design, I can't tell yet). It's Hill who usually doesn't react and cover.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
zePokar wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:

It's what I'm watching.

Too high? I have us penciled (not penned) in for 35-39 wins. So far I've seen nothing to change that.

I think the playoffs are so far out of reach for this team that it is almost an impossibility. Thought that before preseason, and think that now.

Then no need to freak out too much. The team will play better than what we saw the last game, we have a few players coming back from injury too. The team should meet your expectations.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: