Mid season trade for an impact player is likely IMO.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Mid season trade for an impact player is likely IMO.

and it is obviously something that the FO has positioned themselves to do and something they have had the success with in the past.

Likely candidates for the trade obviously are Jordan Hill, Julius Randle and I'd say even Steve Nash given his expiring contract. I personally think the Lakers will prefer to keep Lin.
Now Randle clearly is someone we would want to keep but in case we can get someone really good, I wouldn't put it past FO to pull the trigger. Just depends who may be available. For example, if it's Klay Thompson, no way I trade Randle for him. Now, perhaps someone a little bit more impactful, hey, we can talk.

Still, very hard to expect us to contend this year. Kobe probably isn't the guy who can be the first option on a championship team. We don't have a championship calibre coach and our role players just aren't on that level.
But still, I actually expect a mid season trade this time. Just not sure who besides Klay Thompson may be available.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Agreed. We apparently can't trade Hill and honestly real talk I don't know what we can do but if Mitch is talking Championships he must be planning something.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject:

The likely bait will be an expiring contract (which can be of the pure expiring variety, like Nash, or expiring with potential, like Lin--although i don't see him being traded-- and Bird rights, or expiring with an option and possible potential, like Hill; the latter two being contributors in their expiring season as well), draft pick(s), and/or a young prospect (Clarkson or Kelly?).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Which won't give us a stud but a player in the roy hibbert territory at best. We don't have major assets.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Which won't give us a stud but a player in the roy hibbert territory at best. We don't have major assets.

I'm not sure where you are drawing the line at stud, but I suspect that as usual, there won't be many if any true stud players moved or even strongly available during the season anyway.
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Agreed. We apparently can't trade Hill and honestly real talk I don't know what we can do but if Mitch is talking Championships he must be planning something.

Mitch is just saying that so he doesn't get fired
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I think folks here have unrealistic trade dreams. I agree that a stud won't be available with our assets.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject:

ronnyjeremy wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Right, that's the measure of his job with ownership. "Did he say we're winning a title? No? Can his ass".
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Yep there really isn't. If the Lakers swung Jordan Hill for Brook Lopez or Hibbert while Hill was playing extremely well then I'm sure it would gather a lot of hate from some groups of people either way despite some of people proclaiming how bad he is just 3 pre-season games in.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think folks here have unrealistic trade dreams. I agree that a stud won't be available with our assets.

Understatement of the year. And it's always backed by "but da Kwame for Pau trade means anything can happen!" Hahaha.

Here's the other thing -- the only way we're going to make a trade, is for a player that will LIKELY be a future piece. I don't think this season has anything to do with it.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

thats a realistic expectations. along with Monroe, rondo, Rubio
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't really like Rubio or Rondo for this team since both are bad shooters and have been injury prone.

Monroe and Randle would be a nice young frontcourt for the future but not great defensively.

What we need is a C that can defend and protect the rim and a SF who can shoot the 3.

Hopefully Mitch can find a deal to get either of those things at the trade deadline.
Pgforlife
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject:

We need defensive bigs or a 4 that can space the floor and shoot the open shot, first and foremost. The guard position is not a problem.
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Why would the Warriors (who are competing for a championship) trade Klay Thompson for Julius Randle?
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Hibbert seems like the type of deal Mitch would do. Maybe Brook Lopez too. Hill, Clarkson, Kelly, and the HOU pick can all be dangled to improve the team. Add Lin too though I would like to keep him.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject:

A mid season trade for an impact player wouldn't make any sense unless they are somehow a mid to high playoff seed at the halfway point of the season. Why trade Randle unless a deep playoff run is likely?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject:

You don't trade Randle, you trade for someone to play next to him.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
You don't trade Randle, you trade for someone to play next to him.

Exactly. Randle is the future and We need too look for complementary pieces to surround him with. Id also like to add that the mid-season trade may not be exactly what fans are expecting. If we're playing bad by mid season it is very likely the lakers move one of our assets to a contender for another 1st round pick. We may not have stars but we definitely have player who can help out a contender during playoff time.

Ps. Mudiay/ randle tandem would be great to watch develop together. Towns/randle would be nice too.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject:

There is NO WAY Randle gets traded. If we make trades, it will be taking on a bad contract for a draft pick. Nobody is going to gift wrap a impact player to us and I am not counting on a huge splash in the FA market this offseason. IF (hopefully not but very possible) we keep our pick this year and get Houston's pick, we can turn this around quickly.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

I can see this happening since it's the quickest way back to contention. Would take too long through the draft since most of the near future picks are gone from the Nash trade. Just hope it's not Klay Thompson, he's not someone you build your team around. Rather keep randle and get klay through FA. Trading for someone like Westbrook or L-train is a different story.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I would trade anyone but Randle (and Kobe obviously) for Hibbert. I'd try to keep Clarkson also but they might demand him in the trade and if so, I guess you have to do it.

He would instantly make us about 10 spots higher in defensive ratings.

Although I might rather offer 4/44 to Robin Lopez right before the new CBA bumps up the salary cap and lock down the best value.

Now I'm torn.
iggypop123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject:

we dont have the assets to go after a star. so why cash out those assets for anything else? just take the lottery team hope to hit a hr with the draft.
24KT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Need to find a way to get another first round pick and turn that into Cauley-Stein. Sixers disgust me sitting on likely 3 centers by next draft. Randle/WCS or Randle/Embiid is a damn dream man.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't really like Rubio or Rondo for this team since both are bad shooters and have been injury prone.

Monroe and Randle would be a nice young frontcourt for the future but not great defensively.

What we need is a C that can defend and protect the rim and a SF who can shoot the 3.

Hopefully Mitch can find a deal to get either of those things at the trade deadline.

so u r talking about Hibbert I am ok with that
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

ronnyjeremy wrote:
TDRock wrote:

I think he's saying that to try to justify those ridiculous ticket prices while fielding a horrible team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: