i never liked the Scott hire because all he does is pleasing veterans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: i never liked the Scott hire because all he does is pleasing veterans

this team is going no where even with a bunch of healthy vets. this is a stop gap season, so why not start the youngsters, give them more minutes to grow faster? honestly, i would start the following lineup on opening day

Lin
Kobe
Wes
Randall
Boozer
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

Most NBA coaches like to rest on old veterans. How did Fisher manage to start up until 2 seasons ago? Just has that ability as a vet to hit the right spots with a coach.

Preseason hopefully shows Scott that he may have to change things up if he wants to sniff the playoffs.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject:

I am sure Scott wants to give his team the opportunity to prove itself before he decides to write off the season. Why throw in the towel already.

Plus, no way Boozer can start at center. Stick Ed Davis there and I would accept that starting lineup, just for the development of Randle.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

Wait, you said "why not start the youngsters"...but then, you have Kobe and Boozer on your starting 5?

Lemme guess, are you born later than 1988?

Just in basketball terms alone, starting Boozer at the 5 would be a nightmare. And even if you tried Randle at the 5, his defensive limitations would shine through even more than they already are.

If you think the season would go nowhere fast, that starting 5 would be a sure way to make the team look even worse than it is.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm quite sure that age/injuries will give Nash's spot to Lin anyway. Then you have who else? Hill vs Davis. At some point they'll figure that out.

I'm not worried about starting Randle (as in not)because he is a rookie and Lakers bring them along slowly. Even Kobe didn't start in his rookie year. Bynum, same. Okay AB was more raw than JR, but the point is, Lakers like to bring their rooks along slowly.

I'm sure they want Randle to become a star and play big minutes. However they've also seen guys like Beasley, Derrick Williams etc be given big minutes right away and do nothing with it longterm. I like to see them make young elite draft picks EARN their minutes. Phil did same with AB. Del did same with Kobe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Scott is a great hire for this team. Unfortunately for him, he probably won't do well due to the players he has on the roster. It's already apparent that Nash needs to retire and Kobe's not too far behind. I expect Scott to work hard in developing his rookies in Clarkson and Randle, that makes all the since in the world, not to mention Davis. Those three players could work out to be the future of this team.
If you look at the Thunder, and Westbrook, Clarkson has a lot of those similarities and would work well with a Durant on this Lakers team. I know it's a long shot, but anything is possible.
Scott didn't inherit a playoff team like Kerr with the Warriors. But Scott is a proven veteran coach and should do well on this team in the long run.
With a couple of acquisitions, this is a different team. The Center and Small Forward spot could be solidified in free agency and we'd all be singing a different song.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: i never liked the Scott hire because all he does is pleasing veterans

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
this team is going no where even with a bunch of healthy vets. this is a stop gap season, so why not start the youngsters, give them more minutes to grow faster? honestly, i would start the following lineup on opening day

Lin
Kobe
Wes
Randall
Boozer
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: i never liked the Scott hire because all he does is pleasing veterans

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Lin
Kobe
Wes
Randall
Boozer

we dont even have that guy on the roster. who is that you are talking about?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I said this earlier in another thread but I belive that randle will end up starting. The reason I belive this is because coaches like calipari and Dave miller have already gone on record saying this. Right now I don't believe that randle is ready but I think that by allstar break he will take the starting job.

Lin
Henry
Kobe
Randle
Davis

This is the starting lineup that I prject will give the lakers the most fluidity and defensive presence.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm afraid, after the first week, the Byron Scott sucks brigade will be in full force.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully at some point this preseason Scott shakes up the starting lineup.

I think Lin, Kobe, Wes, Boozer, and Davis is our best starting 5.

Lin and Davis have great chemistry together and are better defensively than Nash and Hill.

Nash would be better against backup PG's on defense and would be great leading the 2nd unit and would be a calming presence for the rookies who are still adjusting to the speed of the NBA.

Randle coming off the bench might be better for him initially as he would get easy shots playing with Nash and could handle the ball more without deferring to Kobe and Lin.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

LOL boozer in your starting 5....

you mean davis.

all i know is if you want to tank, then by all means play nash, kobe, and boozer plus any other two lakers of your choice together as much as possible. that's the slowest team, the worst defensive team, and the most predictable team offensively.

lin
kobe
xavier
davis
hill

defense, (a lot more) youth, hops, size

nash
chuckerson
wes
swaggy
randle
kelly
sacre

in the rotation depending on situation/nash's paid vacation days

Last edited by DJ Slik on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I said this earlier in another thread but I belive that randle will end up starting. The reason I belive this is because coaches like calipari and Dave miller have already gone on record saying this. Right now I don't believe that randle is ready but I think that by allstar break he will take the starting job.

Lin
Henry
Kobe
Randle
Davis

This is the starting lineup that I prject will give the lakers the most fluidity and defensive presence.

Best lineup IMHO.

Henry 2010, 12th pick in draft and Davis 2010, 13th pick in draft.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Wait, you said "why not start the youngsters"...but then, you have Kobe and Boozer on your starting 5?

Lemme guess, are you born later than 1988?

Just in basketball terms alone, starting Boozer at the 5 would be a nightmare. And even if you tried Randle at the 5, his defensive limitations would shine through even more than they already are.

If you think the season would go nowhere fast, that starting 5 would be a sure way to make the team look even worse than it is.

I don't think we need to take it so literally. Anyone who tells me the Lakers need to start the youngsters, I would assume they still have a starting spot for Kobe. So I get what the OP is saying.

Boozer at the 5, now that's questionable. I would go with Ed Davis. Nash needs to sit. I don't understand when it happened that the Lakers started to become desensitized to the concept of age. I never imagined a NBA team would start a back-court with an average age of 38. It's a young man's game. Sometimes it's not rocket science. We need to mix up that back court and compliment Kobe with fresher legs.
Unstable
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject:

folks, calm down okay it's still preseason, but yeah we can start to see where we may need to make adjustments. But not to the extent that anyone should start hating/hitting on coach Byron at the moment.

PG - it seems Nash health (and age) will be an issue, so we would be better off having him as the 2nd option so it looks like we will have to play Lin

SG - Kobe - currently it seems okay to have him there but expect him to have poor games around 1/3 of the time (but perhaps like he said once the conditional drilling is over and done with - we won't see this "poor" Kobe appearing much maybe 1/5?)

PF - I am undecided with re to Boozer or Davis -at the moment more preferring Davis - but we haven't yet seen how Davis hold out against the 1st stringers on opposing team (I think he'd be fine against the 2nd/3rd squads).

SF - I don't see much options with young injured.

C- seems we are stuck with Hill (and the horror of Sacre - although we may be able to expect Davis and Boozer to cover this spot sometimes). We will probably have to see later if we can find better C
sammo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject:

carlos boozer is only 32... for a guy who likes to play pick and pop, this is not a bad age.

everyone talks about the dude like he's in the bad half of 30...
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject:

sammo wrote:
carlos boozer is only 32... for a guy who likes to play pick and pop, this is not a bad age.

Because he looks like he is.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject:

sammo wrote:

On the defensive end he is.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
sammo wrote:

What does he do on offense ? His game is really weak on both ends. I bet Kobe will hate him by december.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
sammo wrote:

What does he do on offense ? His game is really weak on both ends. I bet Kobe will hate him by december.

His game is pretty lazy. It's pick and pop, 15-18 foot shots all day. That's about it. He can't finish on the blocks anymore.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
sammo wrote:

His game is pretty lazy. It's pick and pop, 15-18 foot shots all day. That's about it. He can't finish on the blocks anymore.

Yep, that's it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
sammo wrote:

Yep, that's it.

He's still worth the $3m he is paid. At his previous salary, he was criminally overpaid. I just hope that once Randle's play is more improved that Boozer's minutes will be reduced to let the Kid play.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Boozer doesn't seem to be working all that hard on either end thus far in ... and that's disappointing to me. He's just kind of drifting and not really attempting to assert himself in the way I thought a former two-time all star that's just been dealt the amnesty blow might.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Yeah, Boozer doesn't seem to be working all that hard on either end thus far in ... and that's disappointing to me. He's just kind of drifting and not really attempting to assert himself in the way I thought a former two-time all star that's just been dealt the amnesty blow might.

That's how he played in Chicago. With his nice (but funky looking mid-range game) he can score some points. But his defense has been like this for a few seasons now. And he is not a very active player, which makes guys like Davis look even more hyper active.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

I thought he would be playing hard with a chip on his shoulder. Maybe he will pick it up in the regular season. I really hope so.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: