NBA testing out 44 minute game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject:

I don't like it. Fewer games would have 90-100 points, stats like ppg would go down a little bit. It seems a little weird.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
A better change would be to cut the number of regular season games from 82 to 66.

66 is perfect. 66 works out perfect for the games too. Each team can play 4 games against teams in their division, 3 games in conference and 2 games in the other conference, evenly. This gives the divisions more cred again, builds more rivalry within the division. Not a major one but little more than it is now. Also, teams would average 13 games a month for 5 months. That would save big time on wear and tear during the regular season.

I also think the playoffs need a fix. Eliminate one playoff spot and give the top seed a bye with the other 3 series going 5 games in the first round.

Make sure there is only one day break in between back to back home games and 2 days when they have to travel. So, if a series starts on Monday, next game on Wednesday, than game 3 is on Saturday, game 4 Monday, game 5 on Thursday. That's 10 days for one playoff series not 2 weeks or 2 and half weeks like it is now. And that's 10 days max for 5 game series.

I have never been a fan of the 2+ month playoff. Month and a half tops and that brings the season for the finals teams, at most, to 6 1/2 months.

NFL is 6 months and they do pretty well. I think Silver is the right man for the job and if he can create more interest in the off season for the NBA that brings in revenue, it could work.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Should help Dwight. He's been known to choke in the last few minutes. Maybe if you cut those last minutes off he'll finally win a championship.

Great logic!! If you cut off the high pressure minutes at the end of every game and just play the boring, almost meaningless, middle minutes from the non pressure part of the game, Howard would thrive!!!

Wait ......... ???
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
A better change would be to cut the number of regular season games from 82 to 66.

66 is perfect. 66 works out perfect for the games too. Each team can play 4 games against teams in their division, 3 games in conference and 2 games in the other conference, evenly. This gives the divisions more cred again, builds more rivalry within the division. Not a major one but little more than it is now. Also, teams would average 13 games a month for 5 months. That would save big time on wear and tear during the regular season.

I also think the playoffs need a fix. Eliminate one playoff spot and give the top seed a bye with the other 3 series going 5 games in the first round.

Make sure there is only one day break in between back to back home games and 2 days when they have to travel. So, if a series starts on Monday, next game on Wednesday, than game 3 is on Saturday, game 4 Monday, game 5 on Thursday. That's 10 days for one playoff series not 2 weeks or 2 and half weeks like it is now. And that's 10 days max for 5 game series.

I have never been a fan of the 2+ month playoff. Month and a half tops and that brings the season for the finals teams, at most, to 6 1/2 months.

NFL is 6 months and they do pretty well. I think Silver is the right man for the job and if he can create more interest in the off season for the NBA that brings in revenue, it could work.

2 games against the other conference would be 30. 3 against conference but not division opponents would be another 30. Add 4 against division, that's 16. Total is 76, not 66. 66 would be four against the division and two against everyone else.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject:

this will ruin all stat books
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject:

The fact LeBron supports this tells you all you need to know about the guy.

Dont mess with something that's been working. Just stop sending players to meaningless summer tournaments.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
...Players fouled in the act of shooting get a free shot from where they were shooting when they were fouled in lieu of free throws. ....

That means we'll be seeing the refs spraying shaving cream on the floor to indicate the spot where the player was fouled?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject:

I like quicker games, but the more important changes to make would be ones that spare the players more wear and tear.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject:

They got it backwards . It should be four one minute quarters leaving more time for your 15 timeouts per half. (And corresponding commercials). All players will be required to wear longsleeved jumpsuits, allowing maximum area for ad placement.
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject:

This will only benefit the teams with no depth on the roster. Who needs a bench when your main players can play all game.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

I would love to know the justification for a 44 minute try out.

Why 44 minutes? I'm sure there is a justifiable reason...
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
I would love to know the justification for a 44 minute try out.

Why 44 minutes? I'm sure there is a justifiable reason...

Small steps towards a 40 minute game. Shave 1 minute off of each quarter for now, then later shave another. This will make the games the same length as the ones the international teams play, and be more inviting to inter-league competition such as tournaments. Maybe.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Shorter games
more commercials

NBA's way of pretending to care about what's best for the game.

A shorter season is the obvious answer but they wont do that because they make less money.

They would rather have 30 minutes of actual basketball and 3 hours of commercials and retards talking about random stuff.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Not the length but the stoppages

I don't mind the length of the games but all the time outs. During the last 2 minutes there should be one 20 second time out and no intentional fouling. It kills the pace of the game.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: It all about the money

Shorter games so they can add more commercials time outs. If they want shorter games get rid of 4 time outs.

Actually I wish they would get rid of time outs and intentional foulding--it kills the pace of the game.
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Exactly

Basketball Fan wrote:
All this will accomplish is add more commercials=more ad revenue

Exactly. Get rid of a few time outs if they want to shorten the game 4 minutes.

If they are worried about player wear and tear then cap each players average minutes to 36 or fewer a game for the season. So if a coach uses a player for 40 minutes for two games he would have to play him for 32 for two or 34 for four. It would also give bench players more time.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I agree; it's just too easy to get into the playoffs these days and really, the only advantage you get for performing well in the regular season is homecourt advantage. I think you could even take it a step further and just make it four playoff spots per conference. It would make the regular season more interesting to watch, though it would never happen because the NBA would lose advertising revenue.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Those 4 minutes are precious to bench players....I think for them thats 4 minutes they won't get in playing time. Most of the stoppage occurs at the end of the game, so I don't think 4 minutes is going to make a big difference.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Those 4 minutes are precious to bench players....I think for them thats 4 minutes they won't get in playing time. Most of the stoppage occurs at the end of the game, so I don't think 4 minutes is going to make a big difference.

More time on the court for star players, better product?

Off course while at it, extend the fouls limit, that will lock it in for the stars to be on the court even more.

But I'm with appears to be the majority, if its still 82 games, it doesn't matter what else they do.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Longer games, shorter seasons
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Shorter games
more commercials

NBA's way of pretending to care about what's best for the game.

A shorter season is the obvious answer but they wont do that because they make less money.

They would rather have 30 minutes of actual basketball and 3 hours of commercials and retards talking about random stuff.

Yeah, I don't think 4 minutes is going to change the time slot an average game takes....so you are probably right on that account. That means more air time for ads, and with the upcoming ads on the jerseys, looks like the league is finding ways to cash in.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

2 games against the other conference would be 30. 3 against conference but not division opponents would be another 30. Add 4 against division, that's 16. Total is 76, not 66. 66 would be four against the division and two against everyone else.

Oh boy, I dont know how I messed that one up. The only way this works is if they make a drastic change. Which they won't. However, Dirk saying less timeouts is something I have been saying for years. WAY too many timeouts. Which is hilarious coming from Dirk, his coach is the worse abuser of timeouts. I saw Carlisle call a time out once after a 2-0 run, haha.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

11 minute quaters just don't sound right.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
11 minute quaters just don't sound right.

I agree. Make it 12 or 10.

I'm with the people who are clamoring for shorter seasons, but that will never happen.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: decrease my stress level peacefully!

Newquiwe wrote:
It makes mind peaceful and supply the power to be relax without any intelligent, some individuals usually become terribly irritated attributable to their close irritated setting like their home conflicts workplace serious load works and much of different mind pressure thoughts and these all pressures build mind spoiled to think matters in positive means so this Neuro3x side effectshas been solutes specifically to boost the mind capability to get rid of these pressures and you'll assume simply to resolve all the matters with none aggression.That i used to be additionally plagued by too several irritations and that i became loud terribly early and additionally there have been several mind pressures that produces my mind fail to think positive whereas that matters area unit regarding my whole life or my job however i used to be simply out of mind to accept them, my head nerves became terribly weak attributable to further thoughts and that i pay my most of the time on thinking therefore I became just like the sick person than my mother found this Neuro3x side effectsproduct and she or he makes Maine satisfy regarding its work then I conform to do that Neuro3x side effects. could be a novel head increasing dietary supplement which wills assists you finish up being the perfect people!

http://www.neuro3xsideeffects.com/

Oh wow, tell me more!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: