Byron Scott potentially starting Jeremy Lin; Moving Nash to the bench
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
j-wolf wrote:
To me this is a no-brainer, and Ed Davis should be the starting 5. Hill is too lazy and scared of contact.

if anybody needs to go to bench its boozer. Hill we all know is lazy bum and will start showing up in regular season

Ya. Replace him with Randle. Start Davis over Hill. Then we are talking...

with the comments about Randle getting tired and lost I dont think Scott is even close to thinking of starting Randle
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject:

trust is a big deal for scott.

he doesn't trust randle one bit.

davis will have this thursday to show something to scott. if he keeps on progressing, i can see him replacing hill by all star break, with lakers trading away hill's 9 mil expiring contract.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject:

^ Yeah but he doesn't have to trust Randle. Trust him for what? Worried he might lose some games? Haha.

Randle needs playing time. He's 19. He needs opportunities. He needs to make mistakes that have consequences so he can learn.

I am pretty sure Kobe isn't the Kobe he is today if he doesn't airball those 3s against Utah and just completely bomb at being clutch.

Not advocating a start for Randle (make him earn it!) but just saying, Scott's trust for Randle is irrelevant IMO since this isn't a contender we have to worry about him making mistakes for.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject:

finally--what i've been saying forever. make it official scott and start getting jeremy full time work with the first unit! oh....you can't he's injured. two weeks behind now, but better late than never.

next up, boozer to the bench for davis. agree that randle needs minutes, but i don't think you start randle yet. make him earn it--and that means showing he's got the gas tank, and also the willingness to run the offensive sets rather than shoot it every time he touches it (same with chuckerson).
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject:

When it comes to Jordan Hill when you consider the bench doesn't have to start the games on dead legs you can understand why the starting lineup looks the way it does at times.

Against Golden State laziness had nothing to do with it, we had no legs. Hill fought through it regardless so if he plays well with fresh legs Davis won't overtake him.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
I think we should bench Kobe

And replace him with who exactly. It's not like there is a Harden or Klay thompson in waiting behind Kobe. Kobe is better than anyone who would be replacing him in the starting lineup.
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm, who else thinks all of this was a dog and pony show to sell the public. Up next, Ed Davis "might become the Lakers' starting" center.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

LOL at still weighing the situation. This is a no-brainer. Lin is in his prime and Nash is absolutely done with the rigors of the pro game.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

This is the right move, hopefully Nash can still contribute in spurts especially offensively. In the first preseason game he showed some vintage Steve Nash craftiness, if we limit his minutes he can still be effective imo.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:

And replace him with who exactly.

Dante Exum?
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:

And replace him with who exactly.

Dante Exum?

How could I forget that extra lottery pick we had lol.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:

And replace him with who exactly. It's not like there is a Harden or Klay thompson in waiting behind Kobe. Kobe is better than anyone who would be replacing him in the starting lineup.

Harden and Klay Thompson aren't even better than 36 year old Kobe.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerbaker89
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I feel like most, one way or another this was going to eventually happen. Nash is not reliable enough to be a starter anymore as has already been said. You cant build team chemistry with a guy who may or may not play and is a question mark in almost every game....almost every half as we saw last preseason game when he pulled himself for the second half. I also like Nash playing with the bench, helping set up the rookies in Julius and Clarkson. Running the show, making sure they don't get out of control. I see Clarkson as more of a 2 guard at the moment, I guess Clarkson and X will battle it out for the backup 2 spot once Young returns. This may also point to Ed Davis being inserted in the starting lineup sooner or later, as Davis and Lin seemed to have almost instant chemistry. That chemistry needs to be utilized, and it will not be maximized if they are spending most of their time on separate units. That along with Davis' ability to alter and block shots should at least get him more time, if not the center starting gig at some point. But I do think Hill will be given more time to keep his spot, and Ed will need to really continuously outplay him over time during the season to take it. Only time will tell
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

There is a code in the league that you have to earn your spot. Scott gave the 2 time MVP his due and let Lin earn the spot over him. Nothing wrong with that.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

lakerbaker89 wrote:
I feel like most, one way or another this was going to eventually happen. Nash is not reliable enough to be a starter anymore as has already been said. You cant build team chemistry with a guy who may or may not play and is a question mark in almost every game....almost every half as we saw last preseason game when he pulled himself for the second half. I also like Nash playing with the bench, helping set up the rookies in Julius and Clarkson. Running the show, making sure they don't get out of control. I see Clarkson as more of a 2 guard at the moment, I guess Clarkson and X will battle it out for the backup 2 spot once Young returns. This may also point to Ed Davis being inserted in the starting lineup sooner or later, as Davis and Lin seemed to have almost instant chemistry. That chemistry needs to be utilized, and it will not be maximized if they are spending most of their time on separate units. That along with Davis' ability to alter and block shots should at least get him more time, if not the center starting gig at some point. But I do think Hill will be given more time to keep his spot, and Ed will need to really continuously outplay him over time during the season to take it. Only time will tell

Some good points. Also like to add that the Lakers should be gearing themselves for the future which Nash will not be here next year. They are clearly not going to be a contender this year so why waste valuable chemistry building time by having Nash in there with the starters? At least with Lin starting, the team will find out if he is worthy of being re-signed or not after this year, no excuses.

Last edited by 13th Man on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

This is a bad omen for the team and Byron as a coach. How could you genuinely start Nash and hope to have a consistent lineup at the same time? You can't. I can hear it now at seasons end, "but we never really had our starting lineup". No kidding. If Byron wanted to win, this "decision" wouldn't be a decision at all. It would be understood that the only reason Nash is on the roster is because he won't retire. The lakers are repeatedly doubling down on the past, on free agent acquisition strategies that don't work and on not understanding the importance of preserving/developing the future. Byron, management might need to save face for getting taken for fools in the Nash trade, but you need to preserve your job. If Byron Scott doesn't have the good sense to not play Nash and develop other talent, then he will fail as a coach while being managements lap dog. 41 years old, back problems and he hardly played last year and you had him as your starter?
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Can't really fault Byron Scott for giving Nash first crack at starting out of respect but this was inevitable, might as well come sooner than later.

Last edited by 13th Man on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Lin
Kobe
Wes
Boozer
Davis

Randle and Swaggy off the bench first.

Hill/Nash/Clarkson spot minutes.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject:

King beef wrote:
This is a bad omen for the team and Byron as a coach. How could you genuinely start Nash and hope to have a consistent lineup at the same time? You can't. I can hear it now at seasons end, "but we never really had our starting lineup". No kidding. If Byron wanted to win, this "decision" wouldn't be a decision at all. It would be understood that the only reason Nash is on the roster is because he won't retire. The lakers are repeatedly doubling down on the past, on free agent acquisition strategies that don't work and on not understanding the importance of preserving/developing the future. Byron, management might need to save face for getting taken for fools in the Nash trade, but you need to preserve your job. If Byron Scott doesn't have the good sense to not play Nash and develop other talent, then he will fail as a coach while being managements lap dog. 41 years old, back problems and he hardly played last year and you had him as your starter?

There's three weeks left of pre-season good sir.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
Lin
Kobe
Wes
Boozer
Davis

Randle and Swaggy off the bench first.

Hill/Nash/Clarkson spot minutes.

Eventually, I'd like to see

Lin/Nash/Price
Kobe/Clarkson
Swaggy/Wes
Boozer/Randle
Davis/Hill

with the possibility of Randle taking over the starting PF spot after the ASB.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject:

you know... I am really starting to question Byron's coaching process...

here's Byron doing the thinking...
hmmm... who should I start, injured old guy or healthy young guy??? hmmm... I could potentially start the healthy young guy over the injured old guy... but I will still weigh my options...

what the FFFFF Byron!?!?!?!?!?!?!
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
you know... I am really starting to question Byron's coaching process...

here's Byron doing the thinking...
hmmm... who should I start, injured old guy or healthy young guy??? hmmm... I could potentially start the healthy young guy over the injured old guy... but I will still weigh my options...

what the FFFFF Byron!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It' preseason. We will get an idea at the first regular game. If Sacre starts before Ed Davis, then we have a problem.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Maybe scott was working nash hard so he would retire?
Umbanana
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
j-wolf wrote:
To me this is a no-brainer, and Ed Davis should be the starting 5. Hill is too lazy and scared of contact.

if anybody needs to go to bench its boozer. Hill we all know is lazy bum and will start showing up in regular season

Ya. Replace him with Randle. Start Davis over Hill. Then we are talking...

Randle has too much hesitation in his isolation game. He’s not ready at least for another 2-3 months, or until he can rely on his jumper.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:

I was really looking forward to seeing Nash/boozer PnR game. I thought it would be pretty amazing to see. I guess we still have an opportunity to see it if coach Dave miller and John calipari are right about julius Randle. They both have gone on record saying that randle would be the starter before the season is over. Even though randle hasn't looked great so far this preseason both of these coaches have a lot of NBA and college experience so I have to take their word for it. Assuming they are correct our starting line up will be

Lin
Kobe
Wes
Randle
Davis

And our bench will be

Nash/clarkson
Henry/clarkson
Young /Ellington
Boozer/kelly
Hill/sacre

That starting lineup will be able to compete much better defensively, and the second unit would be among the best in the NBA.
Nash/boozer PnR would be way too much for benches to handle and we already know what young and hill can do off the bench.

I'm actually excited about seeing these lineups, but I still think the starting unit needs better spacing. Maybe starting Xavier Henry over Wes might be the best option. Xavier seems to be able to hit from 3 more consistently and that would slide kobe over to the 3 where Scott says he's been "dominant".

Lin
Henry
Kobe
Randle
Davis

Nash/clarkson
Young
Wesley
Boozer
Hill

Yeah I like this version better. This gives us 4 guys in the starting lineup that can drive and kick. 3 guys who can all hit the 3 at a respectable rate and 4 guys that can create their own shot. This is our best opportunity at being competitive this season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: