Chris Rock to host SNL with Prince as musical guest on November 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Chris Rock to host SNL with Prince as musical guest on November 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/snl-chris-rock-prince-set-740738

Quote:
Chris Rock and Prince Set for 'Saturday Night Live'

'SNL' Recap: Bill Hader's Stefon Is Pregnant
The comedian and former SNL castmember will be back at Studio 8H to host the Nov. 1 episode, the show announced Tuesday. Rock was part of the main ensemble for three seasons, from 1990-93.
Joining him as the musical guest will be Prince, who released two albums, Plectrumelectrum and Art Official Age, earlier this month.
We’re so excited to welcome back @chrisrock and musical guest Prince (@3RDEYEGIRL) for our November 1 show! #SNL #SNL40
— Saturday Night Live (@nbcsnl) October 14, 2014
Rock marks the latest ex-SNL castmember to take hosting duties during the show's 40th season. Sarah Silverman, who was a main player from 1993-94, and Bill Hader, who left in 2013, have both led episodes. Rock next stars in Top Five, a Toronto title that hits theaters Dec. 5.
Jim Carrey, promoting Dumb and Dumber To, has been set as host for the Oct. 25 episode with musical guest Iggy Azalea.
SNL is produced in association with Broadway Video. Lorne Michaels is creator and executive producer.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Prince? Were Flock of Seagulls or Culture Club not available?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

You compare those no talent hacks to one of the greatest pop music icons of all time and hands down the greatest pop music musician ever? Nuts.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

You compare those no talent hacks to one of the greatest pop music icons of all time and hands down the greatest pop music musician ever? Nuts.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Lanny,

I get the joke ... BUT ... if you've ever had the chance to peep Prince live, you might think differently.

I caught Prince a few years ago when he played the Fabulous Forum for 7 straight Fri - Sun for 21 shows. Man, it was really the funnest concert I've ever been to and one of the most enjoyable. It's literally a dance party from start to finish ... you would actually feel weird NOT to be dancing.

Cool things about the show were that it was a family affair ... 3 generations worth of fans and everyone just groovin openly--which says a lot for a crowd in LA. Also, the guy played for 3 hours. Hit after hit (regardless of if it's your type of tune or not), funk, rock, pop, dance, didn't matter ... he gave it all, playing 6 encores of at least 3 songs apiece. Dude has a KILLER band with him all the time (drummer John Blackwell is disgusting, for instance) and knowing you like I do, I doubt you're completely opposed to Sheila E ... bro, trust me when I tell you, she tore the house down with her song/solo and she's still looking good.

Plus, the dude's in his 50's and can still do it. As far as showmanship, vocal range and quality, setting the vibe and keeping it up throughout, and pure musicianship goes ... I can't think of anyone else that compares ... he's in a class by himself, whether you dislike him, his eccentric outfits or musical flavor ... dude's a legend and he backs it up where it matters most: live.

Put it this way, I walked out thinking, "This is the type of show I want my band to put on".
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I thought he put on a good show for the Super Bowl years ago.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Lanny,

I get the joke ... BUT ... if you've ever had the chance to peep Prince live, you might think differently.

I caught Prince a few years ago when he played the Fabulous Forum for 7 straight Fri - Sun for 21 shows. Man, it was really the funnest concert I've ever been to and one of the most enjoyable. It's literally a dance party from start to finish ... you would actually feel weird NOT to be dancing.

Cool things about the show were that it was a family affair ... 3 generations worth of fans and everyone just groovin openly--which says a lot for a crowd in LA. Also, the guy played for 3 hours. Hit after hit (regardless of if it's your type of tune or not), funk, rock, pop, dance, didn't matter ... he gave it all, playing 6 encores of at least 3 songs apiece. Dude has a KILLER band with him all the time (drummer John Blackwell is disgusting, for instance) and knowing you like I do, I doubt you're completely opposed to Sheila E ... bro, trust me when I tell you, she tore the house down with her song/solo and she's still looking good.

Plus, the dude's in his 50's and can still do it. As far as showmanship, vocal range and quality, setting the vibe and keeping it up throughout, and pure musicianship goes ... I can't think of anyone else that compares ... he's in a class by himself, whether you dislike him, his eccentric outfits or musical flavor ... dude's a legend and he backs it up where it matters most: live.

Put it this way, I walked out thinking, "This is the type of show I want my band to put on".

He had some AMAZING acts open for him in LA too. Alicia Keys did one of the nights. Mary J did another. His tickets are also one of the cheapest on the concert circuit.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I thought he put on a good show for the Super Bowl years ago.

His few second riff/cover of Foo Fighter's Best of You was just sick.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Well now I HAVE to see Prince live. Thanks a lot Gimme the Rock and Johnnybravo . Seriously though, thank you.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Well now I HAVE to see Prince live. Thanks a lot Gimme the Rock and Johnnybravo . Seriously though, thank you.

Make sure to take Lanny with you.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Make sure to take Lanny with you.

But he'll probably leave after the first song. "welp that was his only hit. time to beat the traffic."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: