OFFICIAL Front Office and General Ongoing P&M Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject:

I doubt 85% of the people that say "tank" or are calling what the Lakers are doing "tanking" have any idea what it actually means.

It's not "tanking" when your team's not good enough.

You'd have a better case the Bobcats are "tanking" when you look at that roster on paper and how great they did last year in comparison.

But when your team is sub par, and you perform sub par, that isn't tanking.

In order to tank we'd need to be a playoff team right now that's severely underachieving.

That isn't the reality.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject:

If they gave Kobe that big contract and they knew he could still play at a high level, then there should be no reason to tank. They should've gone all in, and tried to stay competitive. They're spending 23 million on Lin and Hill, I think they could've spent that money better. So what if your a bit tied up with cap, - your trying to stay competitive. Nash is coming off the books next year - you could spend that to add another FA. You really should trying to make a run with Kobe one more time (THAT sells tickets). If it doesn't work you have his 25 million coming off the books the year after. You can reload then.

What they're doing know doesn't make much sense to me as well, the top 5 pick is probably lost, but you also have little to no hope of making the playoffs. And your burning one of Kobe's remaining two years. What's the point?
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tony smith wrote:
This was the decision that needed to have been made in the off season. It wasn't... and now here we are.

FO is scared of pissing off fans by sucking so they tried to patch together a semi-competitive team. Boozer?!?! But their fear will only perpetuate more sucking and more fan anger if we lose our pick this year.

If we lose our pick, we are screwed for the foreseeable future.

we'll get a top 10 pick next year...

But it is crazy to know that the FO won't tank mostly because of the fans. smh

The Lakers will only have a top-10 pick if it is in the top-5 since the pick is top-5 protected hence the Lakers keep it in that case otherwise as I understand it Minny will get the pick below top-5.

Currently the Lakers will NOT have the pick (ping balls aside) based on just the standings alone as of now (which impacts lottery pick odds).

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
htc
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject:

yes, you should tank but the team is not balling as more often as it should, such as today when you guys balled. the old timers are like "oh pooh hoo look at the lakers they're losing oh no~!" the l!n fans are like "see what you did to my boy BS!!!???" (i luv you all peace)~ Lakers should be more worried that with this staff the opposing team is looking at you as "oh yes we're gonna play da~~~~ "lakers, knicks, 76's, wolves" tomorrow, yes baby b2b but o so sweet ..." you can tank but with this staff u should still be competitive... i know kobe sure as h3ll ain't giving it up just for bananas.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:

Jesus, Mary, and Josef, why start another thread about tanking?
Finnisher
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tony smith wrote:
This was the decision that needed to have been made in the off season. It wasn't... and now here we are.

FO is scared of pissing off fans by sucking so they tried to patch together a semi-competitive team. Boozer?!?! But their fear will only perpetuate more sucking and more fan anger if we lose our pick this year.

The Lakers will only have a top-10 pick if it is in the top-5 since the pick is top-5 protected hence the Lakers keep it in that case otherwise as I understand it Minny will get the pick below top-5.

Currently the Lakers will NOT have the pick (ping balls aside) based on just the standings alone as of now (which impacts lottery pick odds).

Top-10 in the 2016 draft. Lakers will be better next season but still in the lottery.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Either go all in or go all out and tank

Jim99187 wrote:
tired of this BS every game.

look at what Boston did...look at what Minny did.

pick a side and lets go...jesus how hard it it?

\rant
Lakers are stuck as they suck, but not the worst in the league. They cant get anyone in trade, because no one wants what we have.

Lakers are just screwed. YOu cant ask players to not play, these guys on a 1 year contract are playing for next years contract from the Lakers or another team. They wont just fold.

Fans are just going to have to realize that, its going to be bad for a little while. It might last 2 years it might last 5 years who knows. Unless an out of the blue miracle happens, the immediate future looks terrible for this franchise.

Kobe Cant shoot anymore, our first round pick broke his damn leg and well thats all they have
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
If they gave Kobe that big contract and they knew he could still play at a high level, then there should be no reason to tank. They should've gone all in, and tried to stay competitive. They're spending 23 million on Lin and Hill, I think they could've spent that money better.

On who? no one wants to play for this Lakers mess that the owner and the GM created. There was NO better option. Howard said F this, Gasol said im out too. Until the Lakers get some young talent on the team, players are going to avoid this team like the plague.
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
The Lakers are tanking.

Not when you have veteran players like Boozer and Young on your team. Players like that will make sure that you win more games than you need to be winning in order to be in the top 5.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

bum2 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
The Lakers are tanking.

Not when you have veteran players like Boozer and Young on your team. Players like that will make sure that you win more games than you need to be winning in order to be in the top 5.

The Lakers would lose plenty if they were just led by Booz and Young. Kobe's the one holding back "tank mode." You want the Lakers to lose big? Talk Kobe into it.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Mitch is worthless.

Oh boy.

OK dude.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Either go all in or go all out and tank

Jim99187 wrote:

\rant

I agree with you 100%. However, I believe going all in means trading Kobe now. I, for one, would be ok with that.

Keeping Kobe around will only extend this misery through next season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
The Lakers are tanking.

No they aren't.
Their trying to win games.
Their just not very good at winning games.
The other teams like Philly are intentionally doing whatever to avoid winning to get more lottery balls to rebuild in the draft.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

bum2 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
The Lakers are tanking.

They could have signed better players but they didn't want to tie up future cap space. With Kobes contract, they had to focus on getting one guy that could get them over the top. When that didn't happen, they shifted their focus to next year.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject:

Kobe obviously isn't the Kobe of even 2-3 years ago yet every game at the end, who is taking the long jumper to close out games? Tanking and feeding Kobe's ego at the same time... somewhat brilliant...

I still don't think we can even finish in the bottom 5 just by tanking, there's too many bad teams, so either way, we'd still need lottery luck.

Cleveland's looking for a big man (Jordan Hill hopefully?), I'd take Dion Waiters back, he's not a PG so we'd still be stuck w/Ronnie Price but Waiters wouldn't kowtow to Kobe like Wes Johnson does. Did Wes even play last night? Oh... he took the night off, that's right...
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

Jim buss is in a no win situation but I think it's for the best. Fans obviously don't respect him and it wouldn't have helped for him to inherit a winning roster. Jim and Mitch can finally build a roster of thier own post jerryW./jerryB. Thier last player is kobe and now I'm excited to see what they do from here on out. We have a few young pieces going forward in randle, clarkson and kelly. Let's see who else we can add. Hopefully 3 decent roomies this offseason
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

We are only 5 games out of the last spot right now. Enticingly close. Not worth it in my book, but winning is like a drug. Unless you've won, you have no idea what you're missing. Virtually all of these teams that are annually tanking have no clue. They are virgins.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject:

This suggests that we are tanking because of a lack of talent. Maybe not totally intentional but tanking none-the-less.

Quote:
The Lakers have no one ranked in the top 45 NBA player in sefficiency:

The highest player the Lakers have is Kobe Bryant, their 36 year old. He is #50 in efficiency, according to hoopstats.com.
The next closest Laker: Jordan Hill at #57. Then Carlos Boozer rolls in at #80. Jeremy Lin is #131.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
The Lakers are tanking.

No they aren't.
Their trying to win games.
Their just not very good at winning games.
The other teams like Philly are intentionally doing whatever to avoid winning to get more lottery balls to rebuild in the draft.

no, there is not a large difference between the approaches of Philly and the Lakers this year. Both are trying to win games with what they have but are looking toward the future. Either could have signed Bledsoe or guys like that to make their teams better this year but wisely chose not to.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
This suggests that we are tanking because of a lack of talent. Maybe not totally intentional but tanking none-the-less.

Quote:
The Lakers have no one ranked in the top 45 NBA player in sefficiency:

The highest player the Lakers have is Kobe Bryant, their 36 year old. He is #50 in efficiency, according to hoopstats.com.
The next closest Laker: Jordan Hill at #57. Then Carlos Boozer rolls in at #80. Jeremy Lin is #131.

FYI:
Quote:
Ronnie Price #265. Wayne Ellington #255. Wesley Johnson #172. Nick Young #163
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
tony smith wrote:

Frankly, I would rather just blow up the team and do what Philly is doing....
Really, 4 more months of losing would be easier to take if we knew that management had a 1st round draft pick to improve the team.

I have felt this way ever since Howard left.

Wanted to do a back to back tank to rebuild the team's core with young talent.

I think the Buss kids don't have the courage to tank because they completely underestimate the fan base, including season ticket holders.

Most people would be fine with a blatant tank for two years, as it would show a clear vision and an understanding of how to rebuild under the new CBA.

Unfortunately, we haven't seen that vision yet from the FO. Hopefully they trade Lin and Hill by the deadline for picks and show they're going to play the long game.

okay, I'm pro tank but this is so ridiculous. Philly is the laughing stock of the NBA, are embarrassing to watch, and won't be good anytime soon.

Would you really watch that travesty or a team like this that fights but still can't win? I mean, where the hell is even the most remote pride.

Philly's players fight- they're just not good enough to win.

I'd rather know that the FO is following a well-conceived plan and that a top 5 pick will definitely be on the way at the end of the season instead of having a FO that doesn't seem to have a realistic plan because they think they have to "compete", even though the team isn't good enough and has never had even a remote chance at making the playoffs in the West this year.

But because the FO is trying to "compete", they have built a team that could easily win too many games and thus lose their high lottery pick.

Being mediocre is the worst place to be in the NBA.

I'd rather win 10 less games and be guaranteed a top 5 pick.

I don't get any enjoyment out of watching meaningless games this year, so yes- I'd rather watch the Lakers lose their way to a top 5 pick with Philly-level players instead of watching a bunch of vets on 1 yr deals who aren't gong to be here long term win just enough meaningless games to screw the Lakers out of a top 5 pick at a time the franchise desperately needs such a pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Either go all in or go all out and tank

Jim99187 wrote:

\rant

Uhh, they have picked a side, they are trying to win as many games as they can.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Go after Lance and Brook Lopez. Makes us competitive without tying us down to long term contracts. If it doesn't work we would have a ton of space in 2016.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Jesus, Mary, and Josef, why start another thread about tanking?

Loser mentality is permeating the board.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
tony smith wrote:

2016 draft i meant. the pick is ours if we lose our pick this year. and we won't be a playoff team next season so it'll probly be top 10
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 46 of 75
Jump to: