OFFICIAL Front Office and General Ongoing P&M Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject:

In this order

Mike Brown
Mike D'ANTONI (he was screwed from the get go with FO picking him over Phil
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:

mike brown was the worst, because the alternative at the time was rick adelman.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike Brown's name just appeared out of nowhere.
It was between Shaw and Adelman. It was clear at the time that Mike Brown was a horrible coach. He was coaching a HS football team if Im not mlstaken.
For some reason, he became our coach...

MDA..thats a tough one. Without Phil in the picture, it would not have been a bad hire IMO.
You can argue he was the 2nd best choice...
I can see the arguments for him, Nash, modern, offensive genius, up with the times, opposite of Mike Brown..
Again..take Phil out of equation, we are talking about a pretty decent hire IMO.

Paradoxally because u cant take Phil out of equation, that decent hire is the worst franchise decision ever.

BScott, the worst coach out of all 3 is a former Laker, endorsed by Magic, former teammate of Kobe...at least it can be justified...even though again, from the start it was clear that he would be a terrible hire.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have 4 picks in this year's draft and money to spend this off-season.

Pump the brakes on the panic please.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
It was between Shaw and Adelman. It was clear at the time that Mike Brown was a horrible coach. He was coaching a HS football team if Im not mlstaken.

MDA..thats a tough one. Without Phil in the picture, it would not have been a bad hire IMO.
I can see the arguments for him, Nash, modern, offensive genius, up with the times, opposite of Mike Brown..
Again..take Phil out of equation, we are talking about a pretty decent hire IMO.

Paradoxally because u cant take Phil out of equation, that decent hire is the worst franchise decision ever.

BScott, the worst coach out of all 3 is a former Laker, endorsed by Magic, former teammate of Kobe...at least it can be justified...even though again, from the start it was clear that he would be a terrible hire.

He was the ASSISTANT coach of a high school football team at the time.

I wonder how far that 2011-2012 team gets with Rick Adelman. No Lamar Odom, but Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/MWP were still there.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike "DVDs" Brown.

But the Lakers record at hiring coaches is pure crap aside from the Riley and Jackson hires.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Lakers FO is so bad that Laker fans on this site generally tend to have a much better insight and would've made better decisions.

There are no excuses for all the bad decisions.

Most fans would have never hired Mike Brown or Byron Scott. Lakers FO did.
MDA over Phil..should I even go there?
Trading for Jeremy LIn was meh.
Re signing Nick Young.
Giving Kobe that contract
Re signing Hill for that money
Losing Gasol and Dwight for nothing...

I mean, thats a lot of bad decisions that were questionable from the start and its not surprising that we are in such a bad position.
The only mistake that most fans were on board with was the Nash trade.
Most other stuff, most fans were able to recognize from the start were bad and really bad decisions.

Nobody's perfect but the way the FO has been the last few years is pure incompetence.
Everybody makes mistakes, big changes happened and yes, some of it is understandable.
But thats a lot of mistakes. When you get 3 coaching hires wrong, there is ahuge problem. And thats only the tip of the iceberg.
Bad decision after bad decision. Its unbelieveable how many bad decisions they have made, even if they were doing all the bad decisions on purpose, could they still get it all so wrong? Its perplexing in a way.

The Lakers FO has been horrible. What made the Nash trade bad was two first round draft picks, one first pick should of been sufficient for an UFA that wanted to come to LA. It was a terrible trade.

Well it was a horrible trade but I have set the bar so low for the FO that I dont even blame tjem for the moves that are not downright absurd right from the start.
If there is a simple justification available, I give them a pass.

Generally, most their moves have been so dumb that the fans on this site, vast majority of us were always able to immediately say that what they've done is dumb.
Nash trade as horrible as it turned out to be isnt somethibg that was absurd to all of us here...
So they get a pass for that one from me...

Its absurd stupidity that I dont give them a pass for...stupidity we can all detect as it happens.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Brown over Shaw/Adelman was just.... man that was bad.
SunshineMan89
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Incomplete list of horrible Jim Buss decisions:

1. Hiring Mike Brown
2. Hiring Mike D'Antoni
3. Hiring Byron Scott
4. Trading multiple first-rounders for Steve Nash
5. Keeping Pau Gasol on a losing team rather than moving him for assets
6. Re-signing Nick Young to a four-year deal
7. Re-signing Jordan Hill and not moving him for young assets
8. The ridiculous Kobe extension
9. Picking up Boozer

Could go on . . .
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
We're a hit on a top 5 pick draft pick and a mid-level free agent signing away from mattering again in a couple years. We'll be ok.

Lakers will always matter.

However, the key is when will we be competing again in the Western Conference Final.

That may not be a "couple" of years.

It took a decade the last time they had to rebuild.

Yep. What is an issue, however, is that even then we missed the playoffs only once, iirc, and never twice in a row. This season will be our second missed playoffs in a row, and barring some miracle signing this off season and a transcendent emergence from Randle and our rookies (assuming we keep our pick) and/or Kobe staying healthy and efficient, we probably won't make the playoffs next season either. Three years missing the playoffs in a row and even the Lakers' equity will be taking a hit.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject:

We are not rebuilding. We just suck because FO keeps making catastrophic decisions.
We are lucky that the NBA works in a way that the more u suck, the more u are rewarded with a higher pick. That cannot be called rebuilding though.
Rebuilding would mean a plan in place, direction..we got nothing. And the currebt coach who was hired just a a few months ago sucks as well.
Thats not rebuilding. Its just being awful.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
We're a hit on a top 5 pick draft pick and a mid-level free agent signing away from mattering again in a couple years. We'll be ok.

However, the key is when will we be competing again in the Western Conference Final.

By "matter" I meant in the playoff hunt, WCF in 2 years is stretching it a bit. But if we hit on 2 draft picks (Randle and our pick this year), and they end up being stars, then we can be legit contenders in 4 years. They'll just need to be Durant-Westbrook level hits, which considering our draft position and what (I think) we already have on our hands in Randle, it's not impossible.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
laker4life wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

By "matter" I meant in the playoff hunt, WCF in 2 years is stretching it a bit. But if we hit on 2 draft picks (Randle and our pick this year), and they end up being stars, then we can be legit contenders in 4 years. They'll just need to be Durant-Westbrook level hits, which considering our draft position and what (I think) we already have on our hands in Randle, it's not impossible.

I doubt we'll get Durant-Westbrook, but I'll be giddy if we do (don't have much faith in our scouting dept though). I'm just hoping we get two decent rookies and supplement them with B list FAs. That's enough to get in the playoff hunt IMO.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Brown: Hi, my name is Mike.
Jim Buss: You're hired!

That man is the reason I stopped paying attention to coach interviews.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject:

^Yeah, maybe two top 5 players was a bit farfetched, I just wanted an example of 2 players on the same team. What I'm getting at is that if we can draft two all-star caliber (or close to it) caliber players in Randle and our top 5 this year, along with say, Dragic, it will be enough to get us in the conversation.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject:

I still don't understand why we got Mike Brown of all people. Was there hype with him because of his Cleveland stint? Was there a Lebron angle somewhere there? I have no clue.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject:

MDA when you had a chance to get Phil; baffles me.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject:

Byron was not a good hire but IMO not a bad one. We thought we'd be a playoff level team and he was an adequate enough coach to keep us there while also appeasing fans, 'restoring some notion of Laker tradition, and of course a guy that Kobe would listen to. He has BY FAR the worst roster of any of those guys and now with all these injuries he's got nothing but hoping role players can become guys to carry the team. Personally, I always thought Kevin Ollie was the best hire-- give him a couple years to gain experience, he can really relate to players, starts a new era, and is very well respected by guys like KD, Bron, Westbrook, etc. I was let down we didn't go that direction. Hoiberg and Calipari would've been nice too.

Brown was a bad hire beacuse he is easily the worst coach of them all. Players don't respect him, has no concept of offense (even worse than BS), and just looking at his face made me want to punch it. Oh god and the way he'd pace the sidelines and bark orders like he actually knew what he was saying. I guess if there is one franchie who does pick worse coachs than us it's Cleveland becuase they re-hired that (bleep) after just getting down paying him for his first contract and still paying Byron... only to fire him after one year. Blatt may end up a good hire but George Karl would be perfect for them.

MDA was the worst hire though. Ironically, I think MDA would be a far better fit for this roster and Byron his. But the fact that we had the choice of Phil is why it's embarrassing. Dying Daddy or not, there was no way anyone can rationalize Phil was not the right choice. Dwight stays, Pau/Metta/Nash would have been used properly and Kobe is not forced to play 44 mpg to try and carry us. That move alone would have still had us a playoff team even if Phil moved on by this point.

I don't know who is next or when next is but IF Kobe retires this season, I think should fire Scott and bring in someone who can develop these young guys and usher in a new age with a fresh perspective because Byron clearly doesn't run a system suitable to win a championship unless you have prime veterans who know how to win. If Kobe is around, give Byron another year see if more talent can make him look better.

Personally I think Kerr i going to be an incredible coach in the league.. somewhat what Pete Carroll is to the Seahawks-- he lets players be who they are, encourages unselfish play and that team has some of the best chemistry I've seen. Just little things like music in the locker room crates an atmosphere that makes guys excited to show up everyday. The NBA has changed and Byron is still stuck in the 80's. Get with the damn times.

I wish Mitch would just take over and hire Byron's staff because ours is trash.. hopefully that would make Byron look better because I do want to see him succeed. I'm rooting for him to lead us places if for nothing else because of the feel good story.
tyusedney1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Mike Brown will never make sense to me too... he's a DVD guy, in an age where Blu-ray is already the norm... :nono:

dayum. if Mike Brown's a DVD guy, i'd hate to see what kind of guy you think Byron is
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
From the same folks that brought you Randy Pfund, Mike Dunleavy and Del Harris.

So in the last 35 years, the only good coaches are Riley and PJ.. LOL! Who happen to coach the greatest players. And I think Boston fans will say in the past 30+ years, their only good coaches are KC Jones and Doc Rivers. Look, those are Jerry West hires. He was at the firing press conference with Del Harris with his long face. He didn't want to let him go. Harris wasn't a bad coach. Harris never benefitted from a developed Kobe. It's always funny to me when people say Kobe and Shaq didn't win before Phil. Oh really? Like an 18 year old kid straight out of high school was suppose to lead the Lakers to the championship? The Kobe elevator was going up, regardless of who the coach was, and Phil Jackson is one fortunate man to be able to coach two of the greatest shooting guards of all time.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject:

tyusedney1 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Mike Brown will never make sense to me too... he's a DVD guy, in an age where Blu-ray is already the norm...

dayum. if Mike Brown's a DVD guy, i'd hate to see what kind of guy you think Byron is

betamax
vixvolatility
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject:

at the very least mike did not try to tank on purpose... cant say the safe about byron...
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
tyusedney1 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Mike Brown will never make sense to me too... he's a DVD guy, in an age where Blu-ray is already the norm...

betamax

On the Nets, they gave Byron game tape and purposely marked which spot it was on in the middle of the playback. When Byron finished "watching" it, they checked it, and it was in the exact same spot.
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:

Agree with you 100%.
Mike Brown was the most senseless choice.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Byron was not a good hire but IMO not a bad one. We thought we'd be a playoff level team and he was an adequate enough coach to keep us there while also appeasing fans, 'restoring some notion of Laker tradition, and of course a guy that Kobe would listen to. He has BY FAR the worst roster of any of those guys and now with all these injuries he's got nothing but hoping role players can become guys to carry the team. Personally, I always thought Kevin Ollie was the best hire-- give him a couple years to gain experience, he can really relate to players, starts a new era, and is very well respected by guys like KD, Bron, Westbrook, etc. I was let down we didn't go that direction. Hoiberg and Calipari would've been nice too.

Brown was a bad hire beacuse he is easily the worst coach of them all. Players don't respect him, has no concept of offense (even worse than BS), and just looking at his face made me want to punch it. Oh god and the way he'd pace the sidelines and bark orders like he actually knew what he was saying. I guess if there is one franchie who does pick worse coachs than us it's Cleveland becuase they re-hired that (bleep) after just getting down paying him for his first contract and still paying Byron... only to fire him after one year. Blatt may end up a good hire but George Karl would be perfect for them.

MDA was the worst hire though. Ironically, I think MDA would be a far better fit for this roster and Byron his. But the fact that we had the choice of Phil is why it's embarrassing. Dying Daddy or not, there was no way anyone can rationalize Phil was not the right choice. Dwight stays, Pau/Metta/Nash would have been used properly and Kobe is not forced to play 44 mpg to try and carry us. That move alone would have still had us a playoff team even if Phil moved on by this point.

I don't know who is next or when next is but IF Kobe retires this season, I think should fire Scott and bring in someone who can develop these young guys and usher in a new age with a fresh perspective because Byron clearly doesn't run a system suitable to win a championship unless you have prime veterans who know how to win. If Kobe is around, give Byron another year see if more talent can make him look better.

Personally I think Kerr i going to be an incredible coach in the league.. somewhat what Pete Carroll is to the Seahawks-- he lets players be who they are, encourages unselfish play and that team has some of the best chemistry I've seen. Just little things like music in the locker room crates an atmosphere that makes guys excited to show up everyday. The NBA has changed and Byron is still stuck in the 80's. Get with the damn times.

I wish Mitch would just take over and hire Byron's staff because ours is trash.. hopefully that would make Byron look better because I do want to see him succeed. I'm rooting for him to lead us places if for nothing else because of the feel good story.

Someone say Kevin Ollie?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 60 of 75
Jump to: