OFFICIAL Front Office and General Ongoing P&M Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They attempted to get Lebron and Melo, I don't think that anyone thought they had a chance. Their plan to carry cap space to this offseason was a good one and one I supported. Overpaying for last season's FA would have resulted in a big 0 this offseason. No draft picks, no money for FAs. I would never consider that failure.

We agree. They missed out on their two guys. That's a failure.

But what they didn't do is to compound one mistake with another. I don't conflate the two.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
mykeinla wrote:
SunshineMan89 wrote:
Incomplete list of horrible Jim Buss decisions:

1. Hiring Mike Brown
2. Hiring Mike D'Antoni
3. Hiring Byron Scott
4. Trading multiple first-rounders for Steve Nash
5. Keeping Pau Gasol on a losing team rather than moving him for assets
6. Re-signing Nick Young to a four-year deal
7. Re-signing Jordan Hill and not moving him for young assets
8. The ridiculous Kobe extension
9. Picking up Boozer

Could go on . . .

This.

Add wasting a whole summer hoping to sign LBJ or Melo, and letting FA talent go by. The curse of bad ownership is the worse thing a fan can go through. As a Dodgers fan I had to put up with years of incompetency with the like of Fox, and Frank McCourt. Now it's the Lakers. Things have gotten so bad that fans are praying for loses..lol

They weren't going to sign any other FAs. And I think it was a great move getting a first round pick this offseason in the process.

Well. It's like getting a F- in a class then getting a B on the first quiz after you have to re take the class.

They made a plan, they acted on that plan, how is that an F?

It was a (bleep) plan...that's why it's an F. Jim thought he knew something....probably didn't like Phil laughing at him. Thought he could do better. He couldn't.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Hiring Byron Scott was a stroke of brilliance.

They brought in a coach that Kobe would not undermine.

They guaranteed that Magic, James Worthy and all the other old Showtime Lakers would quit (bleep) incessantly about the coach.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
mykeinla wrote:
SunshineMan89 wrote:

1. Hiring Mike Brown
2. Hiring Mike D'Antoni
3. Hiring Byron Scott
9. Picking up Boozer

Could go on . . .

This.

Add wasting a whole summer hoping to sign LBJ or Melo, and letting FA talent go by. The curse of bad ownership is the worse thing a fan can go through. As a Dodgers fan I had to put up with years of incompetency with the like of Fox, and Frank McCourt. Now it's the Lakers. Things have gotten so bad that fans are praying for loses..lol

They weren't going to sign any other FAs. And I think it was a great move getting a first round pick this offseason in the process.

Well. It's like getting a F- in a class then getting a B on the first quiz after you have to re take the class.

It was a (bleep) plan...that's why it's an F. Jim thought he knew something....probably didn't like Phil laughing at him. Thought he could do better. He couldn't.

I don't imagine Phil is laughing. His FO success is laughable.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
mykeinla wrote:
SunshineMan89 wrote:

1. Hiring Mike Brown
2. Hiring Mike D'Antoni
3. Hiring Byron Scott
9. Picking up Boozer

Could go on . . .

This.

I sure hope that Jimbo does not makes his decision because people like Phil are laughing at him.

Seriously, this past summer represents the second year in a row that the lakers did not retain or sign the player that they wanted.

We will see what will happen this coming year.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

I have a question for my fellow LGers.

Are we at rock bottom of the rebuild right now?

Is this the lowest the Lakers will go?
Will the draft and free agency this offseason start the turn around for our franchise?
Or will we dip again once Kobe is off the books after 2016?

I know nobody can know for sure. Just wondering what you guys think.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Will the draft and free agency this offseason start the turn around for our franchise?

Sadly no. If we get say the 6th pick (and it goes to PHX). The Lakers 2016 pick is theirs. And the pressure to stealth tank may be there again.

If the Lakers elect to have another placeholder team if they miss out on free agents in 2015 (I don't think they will punt the cap space forward since Kobe's $25m is coming off the books and the cap rises in 2016), Kobe/Randle get hurt again, the next season can be just as bad as this.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I think we are, I doubt we win less games this season than in the next 8-10 seasons at least. We have draft picks and cap space to get better. And we have (in my opinion) the 2nd best prospect from last year's draft who will be returning healthy. If we won 20 games this season, I can't see us winning less than 30 the next season.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Not sure Mitch can turn this around. Jerry West had the vision to get Kobe for Divac where as Mitch wasted 3 years of prime Kobe by assembling crap players around him. God knows how long that could have gone on had Kobe not put them under pressure and West gave us Gasol. Now there's no all time great like Kobe nor good trade assets like Gasol, Bynum. This will show what Mitch's real capabilities are.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Lakers need to build thru the draft....
That means they need to concentrate all their efforts into getting the highest draft pick possible this season. Everything will fall into place once they can get a solid core of young players.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:
Hiring Byron Scott was a stroke of brilliance.

They brought in a coach that Kobe would not undermine.

They guaranteed that Magic, James Worthy and all the other old Showtime Lakers would quit (bleep) incessantly about the coach.

I guess they know their PR., but that's about it.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
That means they need to concentrate all their efforts into getting the highest draft pick possible this season. Everything will fall into place once they can get a solid core of young players.

I'm sure you've heard this already but building through the draft is a crap shoot. How many teams have honestly built through the draft, even the ones that got that great player took years to build a winner.
Look how many great draft picks did the Clippers get? Where did it get them? If it wasn't for Stern giving them CP3 that team is nothing.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Is it safe to say that only making our first round pick top five protected to PHX which now belongs to Philly is the worst of the two moves between letting Dwight walk for nothing?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Since somebody bumped this thread I need to vent a little bit. I hated that $48 million dollar contract extension the Lakers gave Kobe the day it was announced and I hate it even more now. That contract extension is a big reason why the Lakers franchise has been historically bad last season and this season. And I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for next season. Kobe's basketball contract value for next year will be worth no more that $8-$10 million next year and that might be a little generous.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Since somebody bumped this thread I need to vent a little bit. I hated that $48 million dollar contract extension the Lakers gave Kobe the day it was announced and I hate it even more now. That contract extension is a big reason why the Lakers franchise has been historically bad last season and this season. And I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for next season. Kobe's basketball contract value for next year will be worth no more that $8-$10 million next year and that might be a little generous.

If you want to look at it another way. Kobe's contract allowed us to not spend money on average free agents that would of kept the lakers middling. Instead the lakers signed scrubs on one year contracts and when Kobe got injured, we are able to tank for a top 5 pick. Which will be the fastest way to rebuild this team.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
32 wrote:

If you want to look at it another way. Kobe's contract allowed us to not spend money on average free agents that would of kept the lakers middling. Instead the lakers signed scrubs on one year contracts and when Kobe got injured, we are able to tank for a top 5 pick. Which will be the fastest way to rebuild this team.

Not if you draft a bust.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
32 wrote:

Not if you draft a bust.

True, but that's the risk you take whenever you draft.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
32 wrote:

Not if you draft a bust.

That's not going to happen.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

that's the problem... they are not doing it
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I'm sure you've heard this already but building through the draft is a crap shoot. How many teams have honestly built through the draft, even the ones that got that great player took years to build a winner.
Look how many great draft picks did the Clippers get? Where did it get them? If it wasn't for Stern giving them CP3 that team is nothing.

Lakers don't have any friends nowadays...nobody wants to be that team that helps us regain our dominance. OKC, Portland, and Golden State are a couple of teams that built their team around the draft and are now conference powers.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:

lakerboy wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

No? Last time I checked our starting lineup was Sacre-Hill-Kelly-Ellington-Clarkson.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I got one thing wrong on my rant. When the Lakers gave Kobe that $48M contract extension it was for 2 years (this year and next year). Last year he was on the last year of his initial contract. That being said I still don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for next year with Kobe set to make $25M.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

lakerboy wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

going 1-15 in our last 16games said otherwise.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

Rivershow wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
32 wrote:

Not if you draft a bust.

True, but that's the risk you take whenever you draft.

You know what, you guys are right, let the draft come at least we as Laker fans will have a few hours of excitement. Besides bust or not what else can these FO baffoons do. We can speculate on so and so and how great they will be, only to be disappointed once we see them perform in the regular season. Heck I give up.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
lakerboy wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

No? Last time I checked our starting lineup was Sacre-Hill-Kelly-Ellington-Clarkson.

no.. we still have hill, boozer and lin on our team, and i am pretty sure neither will be here next year (you can throw e.davis in too). so what's the point in keeping them?

giving up any of those players would make us worse.. in other words: maximize our chance
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 62 of 75
Jump to: