OFFICIAL Media Bashing Kobe Bryant Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: OFFICIAL Media Bashing Kobe Bryant Discussion

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11709285/2014-nba-player-rankings-36-40
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject:

Oh my. This should be interesting. *grabs popcorn*

For the record, 40th is way too low for Kobe. At least top 25. Come on.

Jeggs, KBCB, Kobee 2.0 in 3...2...1...
Shaqman55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: OFFICIAL Media Bashing Kobe Bryant Thread

Broussard is claiming he talked to some league execs and GMs on their perception of Kobe's game and the consensus is he's done.... I.e. He'll be a 17 ppg player... Relying on turnaround Js... He can't beat anyone off the dribble anymore... Etc etc.

Take with a grain of salt as this IS after all Chris "Sauces" Broussard ...

But it's telling that word is going around about legit and significant drop-off in Kobe's game overall.

I hope he proves them all wrong.
Shaqman55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject:

Broussard's "sauces" saying Kobe is done... I.e stick a fork in him... Lol
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

And if true, it shouldn't be surprising. He has a ton of mileage and has suffered injuries that would be career ending for most people.

Even if 17 PPG were his ceiling, it would still be the best season at the age of 36 coming off an achilles tear.

Based purely on 3 preseason games, the turnaround Js thing is right. I saw one dribble drive to the hoop and he airballed it and then fell over and I remember thinking OMG.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject:

Kobe will go for more than 17 ppg. Especially with Young out, he probably feels he needs to up the scoring.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject:

Kobe will get his 20 ppg. It won't be pretty, it won't be efficient, but then we're not contending so let Kobe grab some records.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

It hasn't looked good so far, I was expecting more off the ball movement to get shots but it hasn't happened. I'll give him 15-20 games to get his legs under him before I judge his offense. Defense on the other hand, Kobe can't move at all out there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
It hasn't looked good so far, I was expecting more off the ball movement to get shots but it hasn't happened. I'll give him 15-20 games to get his legs under him before I judge his offense. Defense on the other hand, Kobe can't move at all out there.

On defense he's using more of his quick hands while trying to get up close to the defender. Though we've seen too many blow bys when he is unable to muscle them up. Kind of like Ron Artest defense where he used his quick hands, long reach and muscle to bully ball handlers. But when people got by Ron he couldn't catch them.
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject:

calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject:

not his fault, its his teammates letting him down with the inability to score. makes it easier for teams to focus team d on kobe
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

The problem is age and his injuries has really taken a toll on his game...you could really see it in the pre-season games. Sucks but it is what it is.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

Kobe is not done until magic_bryant spells out that Kobe is D-O-N-E.

!...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kobe will go for more than 17 ppg. Especially with Young out, he probably feels he needs to up the scoring.

But over the course of the season, I don't think high teens is unfathomable.

For a few reasons.

1) Less playing time. Even at the same level of efficiency, if his playing time drops by 15%, then his stats will drop by 15%.

2) Lowered efficiency. If Kobe has all but eliminated driving to the basket from his game, then this will severely impact his PPG for two reasons. 1) Fewer high percentage baskets that was part of the reason he has a good FG% over the course of his career and 2) Fewer free throws. A third of his point total typically comes from the line. If he is taking 5 free throws instead of 8, then that is 3-4 fewer points every game as well.

Based purely on preseason games 1-3, high teens is a distinct possibility. I'm still going to say Kobe hasn't given 100% yet, so until I see him in his first couple of regular season games, or, see something in the preseason that suggests he's got more than that fallaway, I'll reserve changing my projection for Kobe's outlook this year.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

On defense he's using more of his quick hands while trying to get up close to the defender. Though we've seen too many blow bys when he is unable to muscle them up. Kind of like Ron Artest defense where he used his quick hands, long reach and muscle to bully ball handlers. But when people got by Ron he couldn't catch them.

He's using his hands because he CAN'T use his feet.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

Kobe so far in the preseason has settled and called for the fade away j, I havenet seen him even attempt to drive to the hole yet, that doesnt mean he cant

and hasnt a player like Paul Pierce and in the past a Bernard King lived off of jumpers and fade aways and made hall of fame careers with that ??

I am not worried about Kobe he isnt gonna be #8 Kobe but he wil ldo what it takes to get the job done
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

Who in the world expected him to return back to his old form? No one knew what to expect of him. Actually, most folks expected the worst. If Jordan avg. 20 ppg at 40+ with the same amount of lift, Kobe will too. Especially in an era where it's easier to score than when Jordan played on the Wizards.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

He's using his hands because he CAN'T use his feet.

What happened to those drills in Scott's death camp where they had to have their hands raised?

Yeah. Most defenders who are Kobe's age cannot and try to use their upper body to snag a steal. While Kobe had some remarkable steals using this, he was also caught lead footed on several plays. Scott needs to have a system to help Kobe and Wes needs to step his damn defensive game up. (And Nash not starting should help a bit).
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:

I want to see teams leave Kobe 1v1 on the wing and then hear them say he is done.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject:

If Kobe does average 17 PPG, that would make him exactly 40th in terms of PPG ranking of eligible players.

Bradley Beal was at the 17.1 PPG mark and was 39th.

Jeff Green was at the 16.9 PPG mark and was 40th.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

Most disrespected player ever
rustyray
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

I dont find this surprising. Its what most non Lakers fan say all the time.

Kobe will take it and use it as more motivation to prove people wrong.

Even with his injuries and age his old man game will exceed Paul Pierce and other guys who play that kind of game.

Think of Joe Johnson with Kobe's killer instinct and competitive drive.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject:

I'm curious, did anyone think otherwise other than Kobe himself?
Let's be real, this is so very true rather Broussard said it or not it doesn't matter, the proof is in the pudding. We're so done from seeing KB24 avg. 27ppg that's not even a question. You're talking about a Top 5 of All Time Player here, who has a TON of MILES on his body. I'm surprised he didn't breakdown much sooner.
I'll say this if we get 17ppg from Kobe, I'm over joyed! It'll be the most consistent 17ppgs we've ever seen before. IMO in order for Kobe to be effective you have to put young competent athletes around him, not proven vets who move just as slow. This team has the makeup to be competitive, but coach Scott will have to make some tough choices before we get this season under way. Kobe will be fine, my expectations aren't high and no one else's should be either.

Lin - Should start only because he has years experience at the position and has proven to be a player in this league. Nash is done, Clarkson is a rookie IMO.

Swaggy - When he comes back from Injury, Kobe's point production will drop and Swag can make up for it with extended minutes and stay on opposing two guards with his youth, athleticism and renewed defense!

Kobe - at the 3 makes more sense simply, because he will be able to handle slower players down low in the paint, but will still get abused on the wings. This is much better for the team and he WILL continue to score the ball.

Randle - We have nothing to lose with him starting at this stage of his career, he's a physical specimen that will need playing time at this level in order to get better and produce. Kobe will be gone one day and we don't want to still be developing this kid, we need him to have confidence and learn how to play this game now!!!

Davis - Sorry as much as I like Hill, I think Davis trumps him simply because he's more athletic and a better defender. Davis is more of a prototypical center for today's NBA the 10-15 years ago. a 6'10 pogo stick style player who rebounds and defends hard. More minutes could turn out to be something really positive for this player.

Lin + Swaggy + Kobe + Randle + Davis
This should be the starting five, bring the old guys off the bench and let's have some fun with these Lakers, lets make life enjoyable for Kobe before he goes!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

Guess what, Chris Boussard doesn't know (bleep).
He's done until he's hitting clutch shot after clutch shot just like 2012-2013. Then people will realize what a special player he is.
LakerRush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

ESPN always going for the drama story. The guys at Time Warner show us the positive side of Kobe's come back, and ESPN has to put up Kobe's picture with "He's Done?" on their side ticker. Of course it made me wait and watch, but as soon as I saw Broussard up there, I knew it was made up garbage.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 1 of 64
Jump to: