OFFICIAL Media Bashing Kobe Bryant Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chubby_1_kenobi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted but

Quote:
@MarkG_Medina: Kings guard Ramon Sessions strongly disputes he opted out with Lakers because of Kobe. Said he wanted long term security with the Lakers

And the truth shall set you free.

Not to be outdone, Broussard cited an anonymous assisstant coach claimed Kobe was done like MJ Wizards. Saw the news on yahoo.

ESPN is protecting the identity of Kobe detractors like he's leaking the secret from the pentagon . Its funny if you step back and realize this is just a game.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/feature/24766588

A better more balanced Kobe article which reflects reality without getting personal and bashing Kobe.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

A better more balanced Kobe article which reflects reality without getting personal and bashing Kobe.

It was a better written article until he basically agreed with Abbott's core premise. That giving Kobe that extension doomed the Lakers from getting any marquee free agents. That is a completely false claim.

It has been demonstrated numerous times that the Lakers' max offers to Melo/LeBron were never limited by Kobe's cap figure. The Lakers were able to pay either of them the max possible under the CBA, and Kobe agreeing to pay for a dollar wouldn't have changed that.

After the Lakers struck out on those two, they decided to preserve their cap flexibility for future offseasons instead of committing cap space to any of the second tier free agents that were available.

They very well could have taken their ~$28 million in cap space and built a better team around Kobe than they did. They would have had to give our longer term deals to do it though, and then they'd be out of the 2016 Durant sweepstakes.

And it's becoming cliche to read what these writers write about Kobe's demeanor. The lamest defense is something like "MJ was a prick too". Let's be clear here....as a Laker fan, I don't care if Kobe's a prick, never have. I care about what happens on the court. Maybe if I knew him personally, and he was a dick to me, I'd care. But I don't.

Last edited by K28 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It was a better written article until he basically agreed with Abbott's core premise. That giving Kobe that extension doomed the Lakers from getting any marquee free agents.

It has been demonstrated numerous times that the Lakers offers to Melo/LeBron were never limited by Kobe's cap figure.

After the Lakers struck out on those two, they decided to preserve their cap flexibility for future offseasons instead of committing cap space to any of the second tier free agents that were available.

They very well could have taken their ~$28 million in cap space and built a better team around Kobe than they did. They would have had to give our longer term deals to do it though, and then they'd be out of the 2016 Durant sweepstakes.

I don't think your assertion is a fact. It's an opinion of what was best to do with the cap space. Obviously Lakers decided to give the extension to Kobe. There just isn't much in the way of building a team around just Kobe/Melo (which would have been nearly $50m cap space between them, let alone Nash's $9m).
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:
@MarkG_Medina: Kings guard Ramon Sessions strongly disputes he opted out with Lakers because of Kobe. Said he wanted long term security with the Lakers

Not to be outdone, Broussard cited an anonymous assisstant coach claimed Kobe was done like MJ Wizards. Saw the news on yahoo.

ESPN is protecting the identity of Kobe detractors like he's leaking the secret from the pentagon . Its funny if you step back and realize this is just a game.

The media swarms if a guy says something controversial about another player or coach or whatever. I don't blame a guy who doesn't want to be quoted in a story. My uncle coaches a freaking high school basketball team and has to tape record all of his own interviews with local newspapers to protect himself against misquotes etc. It's just too easy to take things out of context. Comparing Kobe to MJ on the Wizards might not have been intended as an insult at all.
chubby_1_kenobi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

The media swarms if a guy says something controversial about another player or coach or whatever. I don't blame a guy who doesn't want to be quoted in a story. My uncle coaches a freaking high school basketball team and has to tape record all of his own interviews with local newspapers to protect himself against misquotes etc. It's just too easy to take things out of context. Comparing Kobe to MJ on the Wizards might not have been intended as an insult at all.

Or the source could simply had not existed in the first place.
Abbot has already been caught lying about Paul George and Ramon Sessions, who's to say that Broussard is telling the truth this time? Has any of his special sauces been proven reliable in the past? I doubt it.
THE_TWELFTH
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It was a better written article until he basically agreed with Abbott's core premise. That giving Kobe that extension doomed the Lakers from getting any marquee free agents. That is a completely false claim.

It has been demonstrated numerous times that the Lakers' max offers to Melo/LeBron were never limited by Kobe's cap figure. The Lakers were able to pay either of them the max possible under the CBA, and Kobe agreeing to pay for a dollar wouldn't have changed that.

And it's becoming cliche to read what these writers write about Kobe's demeanor. The lamest defense is something like "MJ was a prick too". Let's be clear here....as a Laker fan, I don't care if Kobe's a prick, never have. I care about what happens on the court. Maybe if I knew him personally, and he was (bleep) to me, I'd care. But I don't.

I agree, and to go further.... It was odd. It was like the piece was being written BEFORE Abbott's with a certain direction in mind, but was edited to include commentary about Abbot's, which ,made it read as a sudden shift in tone and direction. It seemed to start as a flattering piece, and then suddenly almost read like it was being written by a different person.

I think this was an unpublished previously worked on piece that was picked back up after Henry A. butt's article to take advantage of the hoopla.
It’s staring right at me, I must take advantage.

Juelz Santana - "The Second Coming"
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Lin, Boozer want to play with Kobe
http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/lin-boozer-want-play-kobe
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject:

The godfather has spoken:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/23/pat-riley-kobe-bryant-espn-video/?adid=hero6
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject:

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Abbot has already been caught lying about Paul George and Ramon Sessions, who's to say that Broussard is telling the truth this time? Has any of his special sauces been proven reliable in the past? I doubt it.

I don't think Abbott fabricated the quotes entirely but i believe he spun some things and that the people he talked to might not have been reliable.

I never thought Paul George was even available. He was on a successful team who could offer him the largest contract. Some "source" thought he was worried about Kobe policing him but I doubt he ever gave much consideration to leaving in the first place.

Abbotts Lakers source made it seem like Sessions ditched the Lakers but it seemed more like the Lakers just weren't that interested in keeping him. Was that source not well connected and/or full of crap? very possible.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Something I found really annoying in the Abbott article

Dennis_D wrote:
Look at his example of Kobe - the Lakers decided he was the jewel of the draft, so they traded a player away to get a draft pick to draft him. THE HORROR! THAT WAS SO UNFAIR!

Abbott makes it sound like drafting Kobe was an obvious move, but at the time it was unprecedented to draft a high schooler SG... So drafting Kobe was a huge gamble that many teams passed up... I know at least New Jersey considered drafting him, but went with the "safer" pick of Kerry Kittles.

No, the Nets really wanted Kobe. But, the reason they didn't draft him was because Kobe and his agent warned the Nets not to draft him.

Once Kobe knew the Lakers wanted to draft him, then they forced the Nets to bypass him by threatening that Kobe wouldn't play for the Nets if they drafted him. Kittles was 'safer' because he wasn't threatening to not play for the Nets if they drafted him.

I've always found it so weird that Laker fans here were so adamant about not tanking because that wasn't the 'right' way to win. Yet, Kobe only became a Laker after threatening not to play for other teams if they drafted him is the 'right' way to win.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
[quote="yinoma2001"

Kobe's not a top player anymore so pairing him up with Melo wouldn't have made the Lakers a championship caliber team.

But, by giving Kobe all that money, it prevented the Lakers from having the cap to bring in two max players.

If the Lakers had that cap space to sign two max free agents, then the Lakers become a much, much more interesting team to play for.
chubby_1_kenobi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

I don't think Abbott fabricated the quotes entirely but i believe he spun some things and that the people he talked to might not have been reliable.

I never thought Paul George was even available. He was on a successful team who could offer him the largest contract. Some "source" thought he was worried about Kobe policing him but I doubt he ever gave much consideration to leaving in the first place.

Abbotts Lakers source made it seem like Sessions ditched the Lakers but it seemed more like the Lakers just weren't that interested in keeping him. Was that source not well connected and/or full of crap? very possible.

If he had planned to stretch the truth that far, why bother having sources in the first place? Think about it.

Abbott was caught lying or spinning the truth (whatever you want to call it) because he referenced specific players as examples. Other reporters simply had to ask these players (or in Paul George case, twitted it himself) whether what Abbott wrote about them accurate.

Broussard learned from that mistake and referred a more obscure anonymous sources. This time an assistant coach. Since most assistant coach are not celebrities and thus won't be interviewed by other journalists seeking confirmation, Broussard can write pretty much anything without worrying other people checking on the veracity of his sources.
chubby_1_kenobi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
[quote="yinoma2001"

Kobe's not a top player anymore so pairing him up with Melo wouldn't have made the Lakers a championship caliber team.

But, by giving Kobe all that money, it prevented the Lakers from having the cap to bring in two max players.

If the Lakers had that cap space to sign two max free agents, then the Lakers become a much, much more interesting team to play for.

Which two max players do you have in mind?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And it's becoming cliche to read what these writers write about Kobe's demeanor. The lamest defense is something like "MJ was a prick too". Let's be clear here....as a Laker fan, I don't care if Kobe's a prick, never have. I care about what happens on the court. Maybe if I knew him personally, and he was (bleep) to me, I'd care. But I don't.

But how is that premise incorrect? We didn't land any big name free agents. I wouldn't put it squarely on Kobe for obvious reasons but there were many people on this board, as well as our own Larry Coon, that explicitly stated that such a substantial contract, with Kobe's age and uncertainty with health factored in also, would make it difficult to assemble a contender.

I get the logic that we COULD mathematically still bring in a big name but that misses the point. Which is, that you'd need even more than that big name to make this team a true contender.

I do agree about what happens on the court. Though the demeanor of any player(s) will have an impact on whether players want to come here, I just don't think Kobe has changed in that regard at all in his career. Artest and Fisher chose to join him, Pau has a strong relationship with Kobe, Caron Butler seemed to enjoy being around Kobe as well. He may not be for everyone, but who is?

So to me, if Kobe hasn't changed, and he has previously attracted players, then his personality can't be to blame here. The main reasons we were unattractive to big stars looking to win, is because Kobe's age and health were massive question marks and 50% of the cap was tied up in Nash/Kobe. You might not believe it was prohibtive to building an instant contender but I did and so did many, many others.

Frankly, that Kobe is disliked by many, was one of the reasons I enjoyed following him over his career so much. So I don't need to pretend he's a teddy bear under attack now. He pissed people off for well over a decade and I loved it.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
[quote="yinoma2001"

The LeBron/Melo pipe dream that had exactly zero chance of happening.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
[quote="yinoma2001"

So what was the point of saving max cap space for 2014 then (which was hyped by the FO since 2012)?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
But how is that premise incorrect? We didn't land any big name free agents. I wouldn't put it squarely on Kobe for obvious reasons but there were many people on this board, as well as our own Larry Coon, that explicitly stated that such a substantial contract, with Kobe's age and uncertainty with health factored in also, would make it difficult to assemble a contender.

Right. A lot of the article was a Woj-style hatchet piece, fueled by exaggerated quotes from people who have axes to grind with Kobe. When you get past that, however, it was really sort of a Captain Obvious article. Other than the diehards, did anyone really think that we could rebuild with free agents using Kobe as a magnet, when he is 36, when he has played 6 games in 18 months, and when he has never exactly been a magnetic personality? If this was 2008 or 2010, it would be a different story. Kobe was in his prime then, and some free agents would look at Kobe as a ticket to winning rings. But it's 2014 instead. Regardless of whether you buy the premise that Kobe is a negative for free agents (probably exaggerated, but probably true for some of them, especially Howard), he is not a positive attraction at this point. That's a problem because the Lakers are fully invested in him.

On the other hand, if Kobe's presence means that our future will not be based on Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, or Chris Bosh (I never thought for a second that Lebron might come), then I'm cool with it. That path wasn't going anyplace good.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject:

Melo and Lebron wanted to be king of their own castle, so it didn't make sense for them to play with Kobe. It had nothing to do with hating him, its that they got a chance to make the most money with the franchise of their choice.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Melo and Lebron wanted to be king of their own castle, so it didn't make sense for them to play with Kobe. It had nothing to do with hating him, its that they got a chance to make the most money with the franchise of their choice.

Agree. Not hate. Your reasons and the fact kobe wasn't prime kobe. If we had a prime cp3 that's a different sales pitch.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Right. A lot of the article was a Woj-style hatchet piece, fueled by exaggerated quotes from people who have axes to grind with Kobe. When you get past that, however, it was really sort of a Captain Obvious article. Other than the diehards, did anyone really think that we could rebuild with free agents using Kobe as a magnet, when he is 36, when he has played 6 games in 18 months, and when he has never exactly been a magnetic personality? If this was 2008 or 2010, it would be a different story. Kobe was in his prime then, and some free agents would look at Kobe as a ticket to winning rings. But it's 2014 instead. Regardless of whether you buy the premise that Kobe is a negative for free agents (probably exaggerated, but probably true for some of them, especially Howard), he is not a positive attraction at this point. That's a problem because the Lakers are fully invested in him.

On the other hand, if Kobe's presence means that our future will not be based on Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, or Chris Bosh (I never thought for a second that Lebron might come), then I'm cool with it. That path wasn't going anyplace good.

Exactly. Kobe could have been Mother Theresa and he'd still be a reason for big name FAs to hesitate in coming here. It's not something he can control. It is what it is at this point.

It's like saying Durant is the reason the Thunder likely won't come out of the West this year. You can wrap a he-is-too-nice-to-win piece around that all you like, but they likely won't. Because of Durant. But it won't have anything to do with him being too sweet.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Something I found really annoying in the Abbott article

Frank The Tank wrote:
Dennis_D wrote:
Look at his example of Kobe - the Lakers decided he was the jewel of the draft, so they traded a player away to get a draft pick to draft him. THE HORROR! THAT WAS SO UNFAIR!

Abbott makes it sound like drafting Kobe was an obvious move, but at the time it was unprecedented to draft a high schooler SG... So drafting Kobe was a huge gamble that many teams passed up... I know at least New Jersey considered drafting him, but went with the "safer" pick of Kerry Kittles.

No, the Nets really wanted Kobe. But, the reason they didn't draft him was because Kobe and his agent warned the Nets not to draft him.

It was an idle threat.
Dan Wetzel wrote:
There was no way to get Bryant to drop all the way to the Lakers, so West began working potential trades. If Kobe could get to Charlotte at 13, he said, the Lakers could trade Vlade Divac for the young phenom. Team Bryant wanted it to happen.

Only Calipari still was enthralled. Tellem spun a 180 and now began claiming Bryant wouldn’t show up in Jersey, began saying they’d send the kid to play pro ball in Italy, where he’d spent much of his youth. Everyone now admits it was an idle threat.

(link)
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:

If he had planned to stretch the truth that far, why bother having sources in the first place? Think about it.

Abbott was caught lying or spinning the truth (whatever you want to call it) because he referenced specific players as examples. Other reporters simply had to ask these players (or in Paul George case, twitted it himself) whether what Abbott wrote about them accurate.

Broussard learned from that mistake and referred a more obscure anonymous sources. This time an assistant coach. Since most assistant coach are not celebrities and thus won't be interviewed by other journalists seeking confirmation, Broussard can write pretty much anything without worrying other people checking on the veracity of his sources.

He wanted a stronger story, but he probably did the same thing most of us do, which is placing a higher value on thoughts and opinions that affirm what we already believe. If he talks to two people about Sessions and one of them said he loved Kobe and the other says he thinks he might have left because of him, there is only one quote that fits Abbotts narrative and that's the one that will be in his story.

Paul George and Ramon Sessions' comments don't really change anything for me. I'd expect them to deny the claims whether they were true or not. Just like Kobe and Shaq always denied their beef with each other, same with Kobe and Dwight.

The George and Sessions stories seemed questionable to me from the start. George was never a free agent and was always expected to re-sign in Indiana. It's rare for someone to leave a team after their 1st contract. With Sessions, he was expected to opt out and sign a long term deal but after his playoff performance, he no longer seemed like a player they wanted to invest in long term. Some people with inside knowledge may honestly feel that Kobe played a role in those situations but who knows if there is any truth to it. Those were weaker stories that probably should have been left out.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
[quote="yinoma2001"

So what was the point of saving max cap space for 2014 then (which was hyped by the FO since 2012)?

You should ask Jimbo. But the realistic target was one max free agent, not two.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
[quote="yinoma2001"

The Mighty Kreskin has entered the building.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 57 of 64
Jump to: