+++ Lakers vs Jazz ++++ Preseason Game #4 10/16/14 7:00PT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject:

ghostowl wrote:

you do realize that Lin's strength is penetrating to get to the rim, and he can't do that if our system doesn't believe in "3's" and the lane becomes crowded right?

Do you really believe after the farce-disaster of the past week Scott is going to stick with that ridiculous plan? They'll spread out some the moribund offense of the past week. Admittedly we'll be a poor 3 pt shooting team however you look at it (Lin excepted) but Boozer and Hill will not be as immobile and lane clogging energized by a PG who will feed them well also and when there's some life to an offense that isn't down 20 points. If Lin shows up as I'm predicting, the offense will adapt and create plays to allow for this, and Lin often does well feeding big men after penetrating in the crowd.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Ellington couldn't buy a basket from the Easter bunny!!

I've been watching and playing basketball since the 1990s and I don't think I've ever heard that one. Well done, pio2u.

Holy crap, is that considered a long time now?

!...
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

LakerLanny wrote:
pio2u wrote:

He plays about as well as Duke Ellington and The Duke has been dead for about 70 years.

Nice.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Pre-Season Game Thread Standings wrote:

K0BEE 2.0............................1-1
diando.................................0-2

I met Owen twonight.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
autoprt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

i felt bad for ellington he was at the end doing everything to get a basket. the announcer said he couldn't buy one and i've heard that a lot of times before but tonight for some reason it struck me as being really funny.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
pio2u wrote:

I've been watching and playing basketball since the 1990s and I don't think I've ever heard that one. Well done, pio2u.

Holy crap, is that considered a long time now?

Yeah I'm an incredibly experienced 20-something year old. Be impressed.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

angus wrote:
13th Man wrote:
It's not about Linsanity, we'll see what happens when/IF the entire team is healthy.

It is about Linsanity.

What other hope is there beside the comeback of the penetrating PG getting hot (who will probably end up also being our best 3 pt shooter) to draw off some attention from defenses having laser focus on Kobe. You have nothing else promising with the players we have, so all you can say is that Lin is not that good.

I'm a fan, but it seems very obvious it will happen to me in Lin's development, and there was no room for that with Harden and Howard or to even try letting Lin take the lead. You'll see.

Even if Lin plays well, that's not going to cut it. You think Lin is going to create his own 3-pointers without a system in place for it? First of all, we need to get our key players back then they need to work as a team. 1 or 2 hot players aren't going to make a difference if the rest of the team continue to play the way they have been. And I'm a Lin fan btw, just being realistic.

Last edited by 13th Man on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
autoprt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

kobe's been taking a lot of heat because of his salary and he's been pretty defensive in the media which explains why he's been patient with his teammates. i just want the games to be competitive and we don't get blown out every game by 50.
angus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

13th Man wrote:

...First of all, we need to get our key players back then they need to work as a team. 1 or 2 hot players aren't going to make a difference if the rest of the team continues to play the way it has been. And I'm a Lin fan btw, just being realistic.

What missing key player are you talking about? Nash "key player" days are probably over if you think he'll be the difference, Jordan Clarkson is not yet ready as a "key player", and I am simply predicting we won't have to wait until late December when Young gets settled in to part of the team identity to have Lin come in and be the catalyst to get this team to "work as a team" and stop the bottom feeder display of the past week. You simply think he doesn't have that ability, I know he does, we'll see who's right.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
To be fair, they will be slightly better once Lin, Young and Clarkson heal up... but with the exception of Kobe, this might be a worse team than last season.

This is not a worse team then last year. On paper ther players we have are better than last year. Dantoni was able to get the most out of his players because he didn't constrict them and allowed them to play free.
autoprt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

angus wrote:
13th Man wrote:

...First of all, we need to get our key players back then they need to work as a team. 1 or 2 hot players aren't going to make a difference if the rest of the team continues to play the way it has been. And I'm a Lin fan btw, just being realistic.

What missing key player are you talking about? Nash "key player" days are probably over if you think he'll be the difference, Jordan Clarkson is not yet ready as a "key player", and I am simply predicting we won't have to wait until late December when Young gets settled in to part of the team identity to have Lin come in and be the catalyst to get this team to "work as a team" and stop the bottom feeder display of the past week. You simply think he doesn't have that ability, I know he does, we'll see who's right.

time will tell, for lin at this point no room for excuses. at this point no one on team to challenge for the position so either he comes through or we're in for a long season. so far before injury he has done ok. let's see what happens.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

angus wrote:
13th Man wrote:

The chances of the Lakers making the playoffs is very slim this year. If for some miraculous reason that they do, it won't be due to Linsanity it would take a whole team effort. Nash would have to contribute, Young would have to come back and be a viable scorer, Randle would have to develop into starter material, Clarkson would need to contribute as well, Kobe will have to be Kobe.

The team would have to develop a 3 game, have a true offensive system and play much better defense. One guy is not going to turn this ship around. Even though Lin is a much better player now than when he was in NY, Linsanity is dead.

Last edited by 13th Man on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject:

It's still early in preseason anyhow, I hope that I'm wrong who knows maybe we'll look better in a couple of weeks.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Just saw a gif of Boozer flexing and pointing to his bicep after an and 1 tonight

Pau Gasol is nice
angus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually happy about the last few games:
a) Lin will be given his chance to lead, which was always the best shot this team had to get to the playoffs with this squad...
b) It also demonstrated in loud ugly colors that Scott should rethink his 3-pointer strategy.
Without the blatant tragi-comedy of the Lakers past week, Scott seems stubborn/old-school enough to have stuck with Nash and his offensive "scheme" for quite a while.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Was at the game tonight. Oh boy what a nightmare lol. The team played like a team that's been over-conditioned in practice. I know were missing a bunch of players for this game. But there was a clear lack of effort. There was no lust in their game and everybody seems to have dead legs.

Some other thoughts:

Kobe - looked good. The only real consolation for this game is to see Kobe looking good. Missed about 5 freethrows but it's pre-season and that's alright.

Boozer - for this team to have any chance to compete, he needs to be money on those 15ft shots. He missed a bunch of those tonight. I would cringe everytime he either got lost in the rotation defensively or was out hustled while positioning for a rebound.

Randle - well, he looked like a rookie. Good to see he's starting to trust his mid range shot though it still looks flat. Looked really out of condition as he was always the last to go down on offense. Booker outplayed him in their match up easily. What I do wish is that when Hill and Randle are in there, Scott should let Randle post up instead of Hill.

Wes Johnson - oh my goodness! Why is this guy still in the league? In one play he faked to pop out as he was getting overplayed, decided to fake cutting backdoor - which his teammate bought and would have been the right move - but decided to pop out again. Easy turnover. Had he continued with his backdoor cut, he would have gotten a clean lane to the basket for a flush. This guy has absolutely no basketball IQ.

Price - well he's a backup. Had some bright spots offensively but committed a lot of turnovers. I also didn't like the fact that when he probes inside the lane, he's more inclined to shoot the shot. A few times he missed the pop sequence in the pick and pop. He just went and hoisted a shot that missed. He does work ok on defense.

Tyler - well they should just make it easy and cut this dude already.

Appling - after his MRI tomorrow he should be the next to get cut too along with Jabari Brown.

Ellington and Price probably makes the cut for now.

The 2 most obvious weakness of this team, HEIGHT and a reliable SF. Boozer and Hill just can't do it. We need a legit big man in the middle that will alter shots and rebound. The Jazz bigs had an easy time scoring or rebounding against our bigs. Only Davis was the bright spot for the bigs defensively tonight. Jordan Hill had his numbers. But I don't see how his stats help this become a better team. Wes Johnson is frustrating as heck to watch. No shot, no game no IQ.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject:

Byron is clearly using training camp to train the team. Ingrain his philosophies, and get these guys in peak physical condition. I see fundamentals, and I see them at least practicing the right things. It's preseason where practice is encouraged. Hopefully by regular season it will seem like second nature for them.

I also thought the starters looked good. Unlike most people here I actually like how boozer fits and him and kobe seem to have a good 2 man game and chemistry/trust.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject:

Let's look at this realistically. With the starters it was close, but when the bench played it was all over. That can be expected with Lin, Henry, Clarkson and Young all out. Simply no one to score on the second unit. Notice I don't list Nash. I consider Nash done if I am the Lakers I would cut him for the roster space unless they really feel they can trade him as an expiring K mid season. The front line is worrisome but then again, isn't GSW the same issue when Boget went down? Randle needs to play better, but he really needs to play with some good players and this game there wasn't anyone there to direct the offense when he was out there. Wes...enough already. Wes is there for defense anything else is gravy. League is littered with solid guys that are there for defense. He is just exposed when the additional scoring pop is missing.

Finally Kobe...still a force...as long as his minutes are kept in check. He is our post offense unfortunately. Boozer...good for 15. Not much else. Hill will get you 10 & 10 just can't run plays for him.

Sill early preseason hopefully Sunday some guys make it back.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
To be fair, they will be slightly better once Lin, Young and Clarkson heal up... but with the exception of Kobe, this might be a worse team than last season.

This is not a worse team then last year. On paper ther players we have are better than last year. Dantoni was able to get the most out of his players because he didn't constrict them and allowed them to play free.

Worse than last season. Boozer is a distinct downgrade from Pau, and it isn't even remotely close. There are two younger players with promise, but neither is ready for a major role this season. On offense this team will have issues to work out between two dominant ball handlers (and little consistent scoring elsewhere) and on defense they'll be porous, slow and undersized on the interior. What's there not to love?
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject:

I think I'm probably the only one here who likes boozer more than pau on this team. For his position boozer plays better defense imo ( not great but better than pau). He's a better defender 1v1 and rotates better than pau ever did
Pau was a soft ghost on d. He literally couldn't protect the paint as a center, got beat on every pick n roll switch, and was even slower/worse vs pfs. I'll be watching Chicago closely this year to see how much a good scheme will help him but just from a lakers stand point, boozer seems to fit in better than pau whom doesn't put up the same stats as pau but puts up decent stats with less opportunities. Remember that pau was 1st option last yr, and 2nd option anytime kobe was on the floor so he got tons more opportunities than boozer will. With all that said, boozer is playing pf while pau was playing c (last season) so we might be comparing apples to oranges but at first glance I really like Boozer's foot speed in comparison to the atrocious speed of pau, both on defense and offense. Boozer's game is much simpler he will pick, he will pop, he will roll, he'll drive, he'll hit the mid range, and he'll rebound, all w relative consistency. Pau was not as consistent in those areas, but rather more reliable just as a low post scorer whom would do a bit of the other things, albeit inconsistently but with more opportunities.

Honestly on this team, and unless we're running the triangle, I think I rather take boozer because it's just a better fit from an efficiency standpoint vs the straight post up which was often in isolation for pau, thus predictable and highly contested. On defense I'll take the foot speed and effort over Paus fake hustle, illusion length, lack of energy, general whininess, and all around soft attitude. Boozer is your typical pick n roll/pop big man pretty necessary in any modern team, whereas pau is a very talented big whom excels in the post but is talented enough to play pick n roll but does so unnaturally and thus inconsistently. The triangle was perfect for pau, but only the knicks run that now. I rather have Boozer's more natural mobile big man attributes on this team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject:

My only problem was Pau's $19m contract.

At $7m, IMO, he's a better player than Boozer. Wouldn't have minded him on the Lakers at that price tag, but he left for a much better team and a new start.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

At $7m, IMO, he's a better player than Boozer. Wouldn't have minded him on the Lakers at that price tag, but he left for a much better team and a new start.

Quite honestly, only way I'd even consider pau would be at Boozer's price, and even then I'd take boozer because I think he's just better suited for a pick n roll/pop nba (unless I'm the knicks). Paus game to me just reeks of erectile dysfunction.
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject:

anyone got the extended highlights of the game???
catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Linsanity

[quote="angus"]
ghostowl wrote:

you do realize that Lin's strength is penetrating to get to the rim, and he can't do that if our system doesn't believe in "3's" and the lane becomes crowded right?

In NY Lin had Tyson Chandler to feed for easy baskets, Amare Stoudemire as well. JR Smith for 3's. Davis could be Chandler, Boozer could be Stoudemire but who can he dish to for 3's? Also it was D'Antoni's running system. Unfortunately when ball hog half court player Carmelo Anthony came back from injury it all ended.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quite honestly, only way I'd even consider pau would be at Boozer's price, and even then I'd take boozer because I think he's just better suited for a pick n roll/pop nba (unless I'm the knicks). Paus game to me just reeks of erectile dysfunction.

Just wait until you see Boozer mid-year. He is what he is. Shoots 15-18 footers, doesn't get back on defense (doesn't play any).

At least he screams more than Pau I suppose.

Pau is worth more than $3m b/c he can play center. And centers with skills like that aren't cheap.

Again, Pau at $19m, not great. Pau at $7m, no brainer. He decided to leave more $ on the table to play with a better team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33
Jump to: