We need a big that tries to score inside
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject:

Dude, really? Watch Pau in Chicago and you will be eating those words. He helped win two championships. We wouldn't have those last two without him. Remember, he was dangled like a carrot these last couple years with every trade scenario possible. That is why he left......where is the loyalty. He wanted change, you can't blame him. I, like many, will stand up when he comes to Staples and cheer him on. He was a class act and had to deal with stupid coaches, and a dumb ownership team that treated him a bit like crap.

Pau might not be an enforcer but he's got skills that very few big men have ever possessed. Perhaps you don't recall. Watch some highlight films.

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Hell no I wouldn't want pau. That dude was a pathetic excuse for a man. I rather have the more mobile, natural pick n roll/pop big, for today's nba than a low post scorer with no mobility (unless we're running the triangle). Not to mention boozer actually plays with energy and has an honest attitude, not anything like Paus anemic efforts, fake hustle, and general whininess. Dude's soft. It's a shame because he's very talented but it's only worth sacrificing his weaknesses for within the triangle because those are where his talents actually shine brightest. In today's nba I'll take the mobile big over the low post operator unless I'm the knicks.

Please don't compare Paus stats to Boozer's either, because pau was always a 1st to 2nd (isolation) option on the lakers, whom was featured entirely differently than how boozer was in chicago.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Dude, really? Watch Pau in Chicago and you will be eating those words. He helped win two championships. We wouldn't have those last two without him. Remember, he was dangled like a carrot these last couple years with every trade scenario possible. That is why he left......where is the loyalty. He wanted change, you can't blame him. I, like many, will stand up when he comes to Staples and cheer him on. He was a class act and had to deal with stupid coaches, and a dumb ownership team that treated him a bit like crap.

Pau might not be an enforcer but he's got skills that very few big men have ever possessed. Perhaps you don't recall. Watch some highlight films.

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Hell no I wouldn't want pau. That dude was a pathetic excuse for a man. I rather have the more mobile, natural pick n roll/pop big, for today's nba than a low post scorer with no mobility (unless we're running the triangle). Not to mention boozer actually plays with energy and has an honest attitude, not anything like Paus anemic efforts, fake hustle, and general whininess. Dude's soft. It's a shame because he's very talented but it's only worth sacrificing his weaknesses for within the triangle because those are where his talents actually shine brightest. In today's nba I'll take the mobile big over the low post operator unless I'm the knicks.

Please don't compare Paus stats to Boozer's either, because pau was always a 1st to 2nd (isolation) option on the lakers, whom was featured entirely differently than how boozer was in chicago.

That's fine, and yes pau brought us chips and I will always be grateful for that but after that mavs series where phil punched him, he's never been the same. I'm talking about now and recently, not 4 yrs ago. pau is wack and the fact you have to make excuses to defend pau (dealing with trade rumors, bad coaches, etc) just further supports my argument about his attitude, energy, softness, excuses, sensitivity, general whininess, injury proneness, etc. If he was so good it seems odd that he'd always be on the trading block. Wouldn't a team normally want to keep a player if he was so good or hushed the criticisms?

Anyway just my opinion obviously people will disagree but that's my take.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

That's fine, and yes pau brought us chips and I will always be grateful for that but after that mavs series where phil punched him, he's never been the same. I'm talking about now and recently, not 4 yrs ago. pau is wack and the fact you have to make excuses to defend pau (dealing with trade rumors, bad coaches, etc) just further supports my argument about his attitude, energy, softness, excuses, sensitivity, general whininess, injury proneness, etc. If he was so good it seems odd that he'd always be on the trading block. Wouldn't a team normally want to keep a player if he was so good or hushed the criticisms?

Anyway just my opinion obviously people will disagree but that's my take.

Eh. Pau's reputation has been living off stuff he did from 2008-2010. Can't really blame him for leaving an organization which kept trying to dump him, but at the same time, can't blame the organization for trying to dump him.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

It's early, right ? While most of us anticipated seeing the team experience a net loss of interior scoring punch simply from Pau's departure and Boozer's arrival. There's still time in the early regular season to see just how effective both Randle and Jordan Hill can become near the hoop, in their own ways.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

Sad, our only big that score inside is Ed Davis. Hill's back to the basket moves are erratic. Not sure why Byron has him at the FT line in a set offense.

The only bad thing about Pau leaving we got nothing in return. he took less money to win. I would keep him for the MLE. But that wasn't going to happen the way his situation played out with FO, stringing him along. Shoulda got maximum return 3 years ago... Drummond.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

I, too, will cheer for Pau during the player intros but after that all bets are OFF!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

calistrtballr wrote:
front office f'd up in ruining relationship with pau. We have midget C's/PF's with no post games whatsoever. And no wing players that can hit 3's. All we can hope for is giving maximum effort in competing for a top 5 pick

Interesting, I don't recall there being an issue between Pau and the FO.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

The only trade scenario the Laker FO was interested in was CP3, otherwise they said no to every other proposal.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

the stupidity in our coach's head is amazing.

even if we are undersized we shouldnt be taking so many mid range shots, wesley should never be allowed to step on thecourt other than for defensive purposes.

we have no one other than kobe who can force the issue,either score or get to the line mentality, maybe randle but scott wont play him.

also notice how our offense is one pass, and a shot. never more than 1 pass before the shot.

PG.lin
SG.ellinton
SF.kobe
PF.randle
C.davis

kobe on the low post, randle around the elbow, lin p&r w davis

how is randle supposed to work on his weaknesses if he doesnt get enough PT to know what they are
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: We need a big that tries to score inside

Kobe2Clark wrote:
The floor is totally unbalanced with zero 3pt-shooters and zero inside presence. The mid-range shot is the goto move for 85% of this team even though the transition D is so bad

I can't believe it but it's like we have LESS talent than last year even with Kobe

PS: Boozer and Hill do not compliment each other AT ALL

Who can we trade for Pau?

j/k
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
diando wrote:
Pau was a big part of the team's inside presence. If we kept Pau and added Davis to start I think we'd be better off. Should have given Pau 13M per and tell Hill to choose some other team or take 6m.

They tried, but Pau said no.

Not $13 million.

What I read is that they offered him $9-10 million, and that was as an afterthought, after they whiffed on every other free agent. So, truthfully, they didn't REALLY try.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wish I had a list of all LGers who said Boozer is approximately equal to a "disinterested, heartless" Gasol dropping 17 and 10 a game last season.

Hah! I read those, too.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The only trade scenario the Laker FO was interested in was CP3, otherwise they said no to every other proposal.

I think it's more likely the Lakers said no to some and potential trading partners said no to Laker offers.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
diando wrote:
Pau was a big part of the team's inside presence. If we kept Pau and added Davis to start I think we'd be better off. Should have given Pau 13M per and tell Hill to choose some other team or take 6m.

Not $13 million.

What I read is that they offered him $9-10 million, and that was as an afterthought, after they whiffed on every other free agent. So, truthfully, they didn't REALLY try.

"Hey Pau, we've got some salary money we've got to spend on someone, you want it? No? Maybe we can overpay Jordan Hill with it then!"
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

The lineups are not very good. I wanna see Randle starting with Hill and Davis with Boozer. Boozer and Hill are not a good match together.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
diando wrote:

Not $13 million.

He wouldn't have taken $13M.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
diando wrote:

Not $13 million.

I agree
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
diando wrote:

Not $13 million.

I agree

And let's assume in some alternate world that he would have.

What exactly would have been the point there?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I kinda wish the thread would turn into an unofficial Pau Gasol appreciation thread. That way Voices could crash the party and dump on Pau.

I always disagree with Voices when it comes to Pau, but it's funny and entertaining reading his POV on the subject.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

An inside out game is essential in this league in order to be successful. If you don't have it, you can't win, I don't care how good you are or shoot from the outside. Rebounding and defending the rim are two of the biggest components to winning a championship in this league.
I'm not so giddy about Pau, but he did provide that for us when he was here. His best years might be behind him, the Lakers should look to find a suitable replacement, because right now, they don't have one.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
An inside out game is essential in this league in order to be successful. If you don't have it, you can't win, I don't care how good you are or shoot from the outside. Rebounding and defending the rim are two of the biggest components to winning a championship in this league.
I'm not so giddy about Pau, but he did provide that for us when he was here. His best years might be behind him, the Lakers should look to find a suitable replacement, because right now, they don't have one.

I agree. Just because we need inside presence doesn't mean pau would have been the answer to that need on this team without sacrificing for his other deficiencies. I used to think solid bigs in this league were tough to find, but with decline of skilled bigs and heavy reliance on the point guard, solid bigs aren't that hard to come across and develop with the basics while compensating with a good pg.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:

What Pau or Hill made had no bearing on how much the other could be paid.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Cant blame pau.

Selfishly i wanted him to stay for cheapo and be here for kobes last years.

Hard to ask them to play for cheap when Kobe's making that kind of money.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Oy vey.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
diando wrote:

Not $13 million.

I agree

Then F him. Would rather have someone play that wants to be here. Front office didn't really have many options here. Maybe Stephenson could've been had, but really the realistic scenario's were pretty dim.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: