OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT THREAD.....BREAKING NEWS...BYRON OFFICIALLY FIRED (Page 690)!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 692, 693, 694  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

B. Scott's message this preseason has been make a sustained effort. Seems like it's reaching thru to most. I don't see Booze going balls out anytime soon. And Kobe, that's still a momentary thing.

The effort level is way higher in this preseason than with D'antoni all last year. Nobody hears that "go, go , go." fron mike but with B. there's consequences.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Byron is doing fine, he's getting better defense from his team so his message is getting through. Needs to get people back so the offense starts to click. Randle has talent but needs time and lot's or practice before he becomes a starter. Davis great for that second team defensively keep him there, when Swaggy comes back and has those defensive lapses we're going to need Davis to be the rim protector.
The team is progressing and beginning to look like a tough Smashmouth team that will compete every night.
It's going to take time and those players that are injured are going to be off when they step on the court. I think Scott is doing a fine job.

I think that Utah comeback was integral in creating belief in the team that they can transition to this new way of play and that it can work. And we followed it up with a nice outing against phoenix holding them below 100 in regulation in a game that we should have won if we could have made one of two free throws.

I think Laker fans can have that team that the other team will say "Oh crap we have to deal with those guys again". Remember those Utah Jerry Sloan teams that gave it to you on both sides of the court every time you met them. They were physical, gritty and didn't give an inch. If you beat me it's because you had your stuff, otherwise it's not going to be easy.
That's the team that will make the Laker fans proud, and that's what we were missing last year. Yesterday's game was won, if not for those two free throws game was over. Those things can be tweaked and repaired. Byron is creating a culture of toughness and that's the respect the Lakers will get. Right now we're right up there (even without main players) with Denver, Phoenix, Utah, the Clippers, Pelicans, etc. Without Durant OKC is very beatable so the playoffs are very possible, injuries is the only thing that can derail the results.

That's a good point. Sloans teams won a lot of titles playing that way...
since1991
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

angus wrote:
After an outstanding game considering coming off 2 sprained ankles and a lack of practice with starters, and a night and day difference to what he brought in synergy to the team compared with Price, all Scott could say postgame about Lin was he looked rusty in the first and as a back handed compliment liked his 'energy and effort" (good try, son, someday you'll get results) and looked "good" in play in the second. Seems to be really reluctant to start Lin, who wouldn't start without Nash being absolutely medically unavailable it seems, but no guarantee in statements how he "might" start Lin due to Nash's injuries... "yeah, if Nash is in a cast on his back I just might have to start Lin"... < Sigh. >Someday Lin will have a coach (maybe Scott) who realizes what he can bring if you just openly say "Lin is the man I want orchestrating our offense. He is the starter, period" where Lin could relax and not feel he's on a short leash for mistakes or brief slump (e.g. Kobe shaking off some dust today against to tower above all others on the court in closing minutes) of being pulled or having someone else start like at Houston. We're not there yet, but hoping the consistent show of talent will make it an unstoppable choice to let him relax with confidence and play true starting PG for the good of the Lakers. He'll always be a good sport, but deep down a very frustrated man underutilized if not the starter going up against the best.

Scott's postgame interviews sound like he's discouraging Lin and Randle while encouraging Wes. I just don't get it.
ghostowl
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

double post
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Not gonna lie, b Scott's rotations are starting to piss me off. It's almost the regular season and he's yet to even try davis in the starting lineup. Then the lin price situation. If he seriously doesn't start lin, he's an idiot. I know it's preseason so I'll chill but if lin is not a starter on day 1 then

So tell me how many games are won in the first 8 minutes? Why is who starts so important? It isn't, what is important is who finishes the game when it is more likely that is when the game is won or lost.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
We just don't have the players to compete on a night to night basis. I was a huge dantoni supporter and believe he got to much of the blame for the how the team performed but as I stated earlier the team is just not good.
We have younger players like Randle, Davis, Lin, and Clarkson that should get majority of the minutes. If we're going to be bad, why not play the younger players? Those guys will be apart of the future. He's starting Nash, Boozer, and Hill when neither will be here next year.

With the excetion of Lin those guys should not get the majority of minutes. Too many losses if that happens.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Byron is doing fine, he's getting better defense from his team so his message is getting through. Needs to get people back so the offense starts to click. Randle has talent but needs time and lot's or practice before he becomes a starter. Davis great for that second team defensively keep him there, when Swaggy comes back and has those defensive lapses we're going to need Davis to be the rim protector.
The team is progressing and beginning to look like a tough Smashmouth team that will compete every night.
It's going to take time and those players that are injured are going to be off when they step on the court. I think Scott is doing a fine job.

I agree, the defensive rotations look immensely better now than they did a week ago. As was mentioned on the after game show, they have installed about 35% of their offense. Things take time, I am interested to see how they are playing in January.
since1991
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
Not gonna lie, b Scott's rotations are starting to piss me off. It's almost the regular season and he's yet to even try davis in the starting lineup. Then the lin price situation. If he seriously doesn't start lin, he's an idiot. I know it's preseason so I'll chill but if lin is not a starter on day 1 then

So tell me how many games are won in the first 8 minutes? Why is who starts so important? It isn't, what is important is who finishes the game when it is more likely that is when the game is won or lost.

Why can't Lin start AND finish games like the other starters?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject:

Why is starting important?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I think the most important thing is to have a regular understanding of what point in the game you will be coming in so that you can be mentally and physically ready to play at a high level from the start. of course ideally everyone should be ready to contribute at all times, but that's just not something you can expect to happen in real life.

In his interviews, Jeremy has said that he wants to be the starter because everyone wants to be a starter, but the important thing to him is to be in the game in the last 4 minutes, when intensity picks up and everything becomes that much more critical.
since1991
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Because generally better players start and lesser players come off the bench in this game. Also, being a starter would boost any player's confidence especially to a player like Lin who has lost his starting job with the team that traded him for nothing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think the most important thing is to have a regular understanding of what point in the game you will be coming in so that you can be mentally and physically ready to play at a high level from the start. of course ideally everyone should be ready to contribute at all times, but that's just not something you can expect to happen in real life.

In his interviews, Jeremy has said that he wants to be the starter because everyone wants to be a starter, but the important thing to him is to be in the game in the last 4 minutes, when intensity picks up and everything becomes that much more critical.

I agree that consistent lineups is important. But if Lin starts the 2nd and 4th quarters I would have no problem with that.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

Q: Do you see Jeremy as your closing point guard late in the game or is this just seeing how he works?

Byron Scott: "this was more giving him a chance to play 20 something minutes and giving ron a chance to get some rest"

Does Byron Scott really thing Ronnie Price is better than Jeremy Lin? I am worried by that response haha
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Q: Do you see Jeremy as your closing point guard late in the game or is this just seeing how he works?

Byron Scott: "this was more giving him a chance to play 20 something minutes and giving ron a chance to get some rest"

Does Byron Scott really thing Ronnie Price is better than Jeremy Lin? I am worried by that response haha

I am really starting to have a problem with Byron's rotations. He hasn't give an inclination that Davis should be starting even though Davis is great defensively and can hid some of the flaws of boozer and kobe while Hill cannot. He also is not giving Randle enough room to operate. He should be having Randle as the focus of the second unit.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

Wouldnt u rather win those first 8 minutes? They may not be the end all be all but they still matter. I rather win the first 8 minutes instead of lose them while still being in a good position to win the remaining 40min. I wanna win 48min. And when jhill is closing a tight game in ot when the better defender in davis is on the bench, the finisher argument is invalidated as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

In your opinion, which the Lakers seem to not agree with.
since1991
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

I am really starting to have a problem with Byron's rotations. He hasn't give an inclination that Davis should be starting even though Davis is great defensively and can hid some of the flaws of boozer and kobe while Hill cannot. He also is not giving Randle enough room to operate. He should be having Randle as the focus of the second unit.

BScott's rotation has been really frustrating to see this preseason. Right now, I'm not trusting his coaching ability. I'm really hoping he changes things in the regular season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

This is the preseason, time for the coaching staff to experiment with roles and rotations. The groups that ended the last two games were different, this is the right time to see where guys fit and which combinations blend.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

I'd also like to add that the whole, "doesn't matter who starts but who finishes, " argument I think is mostly bogus. Unless u need that guy to lead the usually weak bench, you want to start the game w your best players no? Why fall behind from the get go and let the opposition set the tone?

If it doesn't matter then I guess it would be ok for kobe to come off the bench for some lame rationale that the bench needs his offensive firepower while conserving his health vs 2nd units and less strenuous playing time.

If it don't matter who starts then why not start davis even just to experiment in preseason?
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

I think that Utah comeback was integral in creating belief in the team that they can transition to this new way of play and that it can work. And we followed it up with a nice outing against phoenix holding them below 100 in regulation in a game that we should have won if we could have made one of two free throws.

I think Laker fans can have that team that the other team will say "Oh crap we have to deal with those guys again". Remember those Utah Jerry Sloan teams that gave it to you on both sides of the court every time you met them. They were physical, gritty and didn't give an inch. If you beat me it's because you had your stuff, otherwise it's not going to be easy.
That's the team that will make the Laker fans proud, and that's what we were missing last year. Yesterday's game was won, if not for those two free throws game was over. Those things can be tweaked and repaired. Byron is creating a culture of toughness and that's the respect the Lakers will get. Right now we're right up there (even without main players) with Denver, Phoenix, Utah, the Clippers, Pelicans, etc. Without Durant OKC is very beatable so the playoffs are very possible, injuries is the only thing that can derail the results.

That's a good point. Sloans teams won a lot of titles playing that way...

I know you're being sarcastic with regards to Sloan (who didn't have GOAT players such as; MJ, Shaq, or Kobe, but was always a top competitor), however at this point we know the Lakers aren't going to win a championship but at least we will have a team to be proud of. Maybe if Scott would have LeBron, Durant and Westbrook things maybe different.
since1991
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
I'd also like to add that the whole, "doesn't matter who starts but who finishes, " argument I think is mostly bogus. Unless u need that guy to lead the usually weak bench, you want to start the game w your best players no? Why fall behind from the get go and let the opposition set the tone?

If it doesn't matter then I guess it would be ok for kobe to come off the bench for some lame rationale that the bench needs his offensive firepower while conserving his health vs 2nd units and less strenuous playing time.

If it don't matter who starts then why not start davis even just to experiment in preseason?

Which is what's been happening every game this preseason so far.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

It's pre-season, so take it FWIW, but we have been down in all 6 games by the end of the 1st.

PHX: 24-17
Utah: 32-20
Utah: 25-20
GS: 39-13
GS: 35-27
Denv: 29-27.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's pre-season, so take it FWIW, but we have been down in all 6 games by the end of the 1st.

PHX: 24-17
Utah: 32-20
Utah: 25-20
GS: 39-13
GS: 35-27
Denv: 29-27.

The numbers say it all really. And then this lakers team has to climb out of a hole every game. Sometimes it has worked and last night it didn't. That's why I don't like Scott's stubborness when he was talking about playing nash or keeping Hill as the starting center. Those two have chief defensive deficiencies that can be improved by replacing them with the players that are behind them like Lin and Davis. Playing with a lead can give you that energy to keep pushing rather than seeing you are behind after the first quarter every single game.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Come on.

It sets the tone for the game. And certain players play better when they start, while other players play better once the tone has been set. (i.e. Nick Young)

You really think it wouldn't matter?

Who finishes definitely matters, I agree with you there, but who starts is also important despite what you think.
brunel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

So, Price is starting tonight again? When did he leapfrog over Lin? Odd.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 692, 693, 694  Next
Page 6 of 694
Jump to: