OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT THREAD.....BREAKING NEWS...BYRON OFFICIALLY FIRED (Page 690)!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 692, 693, 694  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Starting the best players isn't the plan, playing the most complimentary units should be the plan. Starting Lin with Kobe seems a waste since Kobe will be taking the ball out of Lin's hands. And Lin and Davis seem to have developed some great chemistry, so bringing both off the bench together makes sense.

how do you plan to score with that starting unit then?

Price? yuck
Boozer? ok
Wes Johnson? yuck yuck
Hill? Yuck

The same way they have been doing it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:

brunel wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I would have to see how a healthy Nash played before deciding. Defensivley, yes.

Well, if we're talking strictly defensively, sure, I'd play Lin or Price over Nash, but that's not what you were alluding to when you were talking about wasting Lin's talents with the ball mainly being in Kobe's hands. I don't even know how Price is more complementary, when he's not a playmaker and provides no spacing being under 40% FG and under 30% 3pt shooting for his career. He's not even a very good 3rd stringer.

And Price likely won't be starting once everyone is healthy. Right now they haven't been.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Starting the best players isn't the plan, playing the most complimentary units should be the plan. Starting Lin with Kobe seems a waste since Kobe will be taking the ball out of Lin's hands. And Lin and Davis seem to have developed some great chemistry, so bringing both off the bench together makes sense.

Yeah, I disagree. I think the starting lineup that we've been seeing in the preseason is lacking playmakers. They're relying too much on Kobe and the offense as a result has become way too predictable. There is zero penetration with zero ball movement and often times the offense becomes stagnant.

I think Lin starting would change all that. He'd take the pressure off of Kobe offensively, and I think he would be more than willing to play more off-ball and allow Lin to run the show. Kobe already acknowledges the difference Lin makes on the offensive end, and as others have mentioned, I thought they both played well together.

And if you want to keep the Lin/Davis chemistry going, well the simple solution to that would be to start both.

Kiss my Converse.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

If Lin starts then I would hope that Davis does as well. I think he would be a better fit with Boozer anyway.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I thought Lin and Kobe worked well when they were in at the same time last night. Sure Kobe posted up and asked for the ball but Lin was also able to deny Kobe and find open guys while attacking the basket too.

There was a moment late in the 4th where Kobe wanted the ball on top coming off of a screen, Lin looked him off and made the better play by dishing to a cutting Boozer in the lane for a bucket. I liked it.

Kiss my Converse.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Lin
Kobe
Johnson
Boozer
Davis

That would be my starting lineup if I were coach
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

since1991 wrote:
angus wrote:
After an outstanding game considering coming off 2 sprained ankles and a lack of practice with starters, and a night and day difference to what he brought in synergy to the team compared with Price, all Scott could say postgame about Lin was he looked rusty in the first and as a back handed compliment liked his 'energy and effort" (good try, son, someday you'll get results) and looked "good" in play in the second. Seems to be really reluctant to start Lin, who wouldn't start without Nash being absolutely medically unavailable it seems, but no guarantee in statements how he "might" start Lin due to Nash's injuries... "yeah, if Nash is in a cast on his back I just might have to start Lin"... < Sigh. >Someday Lin will have a coach (maybe Scott) who realizes what he can bring if you just openly say "Lin is the man I want orchestrating our offense. He is the starter, period" where Lin could relax and not feel he's on a short leash for mistakes or brief slump (e.g. Kobe shaking off some dust today against to tower above all others on the court in closing minutes) of being pulled or having someone else start like at Houston. We're not there yet, but hoping the consistent show of talent will make it an unstoppable choice to let him relax with confidence and play true starting PG for the good of the Lakers. He'll always be a good sport, but deep down a very frustrated man underutilized if not the starter going up against the best.

Scott's postgame interviews sound like he's discouraging Lin and Randle while encouraging Wes. I just don't get it.

I totally agree! When I hear Scott comment on Randle and now Lin he is so lukewarm....acting like he thinks they aren't near good enough. He comes across as appreciating Price's defensive spunk more than Lin's overall excellent play....when everyone else is really impressed with Lin's 1st game back.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I thought Lin and Kobe worked well when they were in at the same time last night. Sure Kobe posted up and asked for the ball but Lin was also able to deny Kobe and find open guys while attacking the basket too.

There was a moment late in the 4th where Kobe wanted the ball on top coming off of a screen, Lin looked him off and made the better play by dishing to a cutting Boozer in the lane for a bucket. I liked it.

Yup was thinking of that.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Kobe and lin looked good together. Davis and lin looked good together. Boozer and kobe look good together. This team isn't talented enough to not play the most advantageous unit they have the most minutes. I think we all know kobe can't do it all. But individually neither boozer, lin, davis, or johnson are good enough to really take enough pressure off kobe consistently. Together however, as a unit they can. When isoing kobe has been exhausted, u can go to a Boozer play, a lin play, and lin to davis play, a lin to johnson 3pt shot play. those are a variety of options. With price and jhill u really can't run any good quality plays for them or the rest of the team.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If Lin starts then I would hope that Davis does as well. I think he would be a better fit with Boozer anyway.

Yeah, those two seem to have really good chemistry.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Kobe done for preseason. Figured they would see how he does on a b2b. Guess not.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is gassed, he needs to rest his legs right now. I would only play lin 20 minutes max as well. it's not good but our backcourt is very thin right now, we need fresh legs for the next couple of weeks.
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Kobe is gassed, he needs to rest his legs right now. I would only play lin 20 minutes max as well. it's not good but our backcourt is very thin right now, we need fresh legs for the next couple of weeks.

This. Especially when LA has 4 games in 5 nights to start.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Last 2 preseason games are basically games for guys trying to make the team. It makes sense to shut down the starters or play them limited minutes so they don't tire out for opening week.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

Coach Scott's tough love for Randle is starting to show signs of paying off in the long run.
The worst thing a rookie can have is for a coach to coddle him.
Coach Scott maybe the best thing that could happen to Julius Randle during this maturation process.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Coach Scott's tough love for Randle is starting to show signs of paying off in the long run.
Coach Scott maybe the best thing that could happen to Julius Randle during this maturation process.

I think being mentored by Kobe is right behind that if not just as good. Randle says he wants to be like Kobe and who better to learn from then the master himself.
PPP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

While Lin will not complain about not starting, he always wants to start and feels that he is good enough to start. If Scott continues to bring him off the bench for whatever reasons, Lin wont resign with the Lakers and looks elsewhere after the season as an UFA.

Hope Scottt would seriously consider to start Lin, otherwise Lakers should trade him for another 1st rounder by the trading deadline or they get nothing after the season ends.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

PPP wrote:
While Lin will not complain about not starting, he always wants to start and feels that he is good enough to start. If Scott continues to bring him off the bench for whatever reasons, Lin wont resign with the Lakers and looks elsewhere after the season as an UFA.

Hope Scottt would seriously consider to start Lin, otherwise Lakers should trade him for another 1st rounder by the trading deadline or they get nothing after the season ends.

If it shakes out that way, it's unfortunate.

Remember, people saying Nash should start b/c he would be "fresh" after warmups.

With Lin the argument is he's better with the 2nd unit.

Why not just start the best PG (to give him that stamp of approval) and stagger the lineups off the bench to mix/match?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

PPP wrote:

Did you know it is preseason and that Lin has played two games after missing a week? A Lin who himself admitted that he isn't in shape yet? Nice overreaction to go from Lin trying to play himself into shape to having to trade him. Patience is a lost art I guess.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

I know some of my best teachers were the toughest with me, but that was my generation. This new generation lacks respect and does not understand negative criticism, all everyone wants to hear these days is how great they are. Hopefully Randle was raised differently and understands how much Scott really cares for him.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

PPP wrote:

I don't know how much Lin will grow defensively and if that changes things with regards to his starts. Scott needs the best defensive pg with that starting lineup because of Kobe's defensive liability and those of Boozer's.
Kobe wants Lin to hold those guards at bay that's the main concern. If Lin becomes a good defender he will probably become a starter, right now Price is doing a good job.
PPP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PPP wrote:

Did you know it is preseason and that Lin has played two games after missing a week? A Lin who himself admitted that he isn't in shape yet? Nice overreaction to go from Lin trying to play himself into shape to having to trade him. Patience is a lost art I guess.

Then he needs to play with the first unit as much as possible if the plan is let him starting in the future. The regular season is 5 days away and only 1 pre season game left. You dont want the team to be 0-15 or 2-20 before you have the chance to fight for the playoff berth. Or unless the team wants to tank which I do not believe so.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Lin should be the starter. While I like Price's defense, the offense is a disaster with him. Lin is a lot better offensively, and his defense is actually not bad at all.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PPP wrote:

Remember, people saying Nash should start b/c he would be "fresh" after warmups.

Why not just start the best PG (to give him that stamp of approval) and stagger the lineups off the bench to mix/match?

Good point. Outside of Kobe, I don't know why any of the "starters" deserve to start really. Because they're older and more experienced? Doesn't matter if they are inferior players. Get Lin in there at PG, and complement him with the players he works well with. And yes, I think he works well with Kobe.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PPP wrote:

Good point. Outside of Kobe, I don't know why any of the "starters" deserve to start really. Because they're older and more experienced? Doesn't matter if they are inferior players. Get Lin in there at PG, and complement him with the players he works well with. And yes, I think he works well with Kobe.

I think 3 of our 5 best players (Lin, Randle, Davis) are on the bench right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 692, 693, 694  Next
Page 8 of 694
Jump to: