OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT THREAD.....BREAKING NEWS...BYRON OFFICIALLY FIRED (Page 690)!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 692, 693, 694  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
krisobe wrote:
Why is everyone MAD at Scott?! Did anyone think this was a 30 game win season?! Get the top 5 pick and be happy.

Actually... yeah... about 23 people bought into Byron Scott's message in the fundraising thread. It turns out that Byron Scott was a stealth tank commander hiding under all that anti-D'Antanki theater on TWC. I can see why people are mad, but after all this MB/MDA/BS, I am pretty much desensitized to these rebuild seasons.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=170207

I took the over. I knew Scott would be terrible and I hated the hiring, but I figured he'd keep Kobe's minutes reasonable and Kobe would keep us better than last year's team. Who knew he'd play Kobe huge minutes despite ample evidence that Kobe was wearing down? Plus, I can't really ever bet against the Lakers. Just not in me, which is why I don't gamble on sports.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject:

I'ma talk to Kobe.. I'ma talk to Kobe.. I'ma talk to Kobe..

Maybe he should stop talking to Kobe and make decisions himself, like all coaches.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Maybe he should stop talking to Kobe and make decisions himself, like all coaches.

Yeah, it's the same thing over and over. Yet, the media is not punishing him like they did to MDA.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Yeah, it's the same thing over and over. Yet, the media is not punishing him like they did to MDA.

Byron has less material to work with, mainly no Gasol. Plus it's not politically correct to hammer someone who's a minority.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Byron has less material to work with, mainly no Gasol. Plus it's not politically correct to hammer someone who's a minority.

What? No!

The national media like ESPN has already told us that Scott is not a great coach. The local media does not bash him because they're all his former teammates. LOL! Even coach Miller was on his staff.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Who knew he'd play Kobe huge minutes despite ample evidence that Kobe was wearing down? Plus, I can't really ever bet against the Lakers. Just not in me, which is why I don't gamble on sports.

Kobe's mpg this year is among the lowest in his career. I do agree that 35 mpg is too many for this version of Kobe, but it isn't like Scott is pulling a D'Antoni and leaving him in all game.

It did look like Kobe started hitting the wall a few weeks ago, but he's also earned the right to see if he could push through it. We all know this is a lost season anyway, what's the point of Byron pulling him against his will?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject:

BTW, Michael Cooper is a breath of fresh air man. He doesn't nod and agree like everyone else. Maybe that's the Laker we should have hired.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

What? No!

The national media like ESPN has already told us that Scott is not a great coach. The local media does not bash him because they're all his former teammates. LOL! Even coach Miller was on his staff.

I don't know about that racial crap, but I agree with the first point. Last year's roster was more talented than this year's (which doesn't say much). And it's obvious that this team at least tries on defense. Last year's team put forth the worst defensive effort I've ever seen, despite having better defenders all over the court.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Who knew he'd play Kobe huge minutes despite ample evidence that Kobe was wearing down? Plus, I can't really ever bet against the Lakers. Just not in me, which is why I don't gamble on sports.

Kobe's mpg this year is among the lowest in his career. I do agree that 35 mpg is too many for this version of Kobe, but it isn't like Scott is pulling a D'Antoni and leaving him in all game.

It did look like Kobe started hitting the wall a few weeks ago, but he's also earned the right to see if he could push through it. We all know this is a lost season anyway, what's the point of Byron pulling him against his will?

To preserve Kobe for next season and possibly give our other guys a little more run to see if anybody should stick around. Scott acts like Kobe shouldn't have any restrictions whatsoever.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
xiaozhugong wrote:
In the last 5 games, the Lakers starters are ranked No. 30 out of 30 NBA teams in points per game. The Lakers' bench: No. 1 out of 30 teams in points per game.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/15/7/pts/5-1

Pretty much matches what we've seen. The other teams shown no respect to any other player on the starters besides Kobe.

Like they were showing respect to Lin and Boozer before?

Quote:

That has the effect of forcing Kobe to work that much harder, which fatigues him faster, on top of his already ridiculous minutes. When Scott (bleep) up, he doesn't do it halfway.

What're you gonna do? Sit Kobe, lose even more, piss off the fans. Play Kobe, lose slightly less, fans still pissed. That's the trouble when you've got no players on the team.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

To preserve Kobe for next season and possibly give our other guys a little more run to see if anybody should stick around. Scott acts like Kobe shouldn't have any restrictions whatsoever.

I haven't seen that. Like I said, 35 is too many minutes, but I do notice Scott largely sticking to his strategy - pulling Kobe at the end of the first and third quarters, trying to sneak a few extra minutes of rest.

Part of the problem is that the Lakers are more mediocre than awful - they lose a lot, but they're usually in a decent position well into the second half (with exceptions like the Dallas game, any game against Golden State, etc). Makes it tempting to play him and see if we can win.

The only young'n that I think needs any run is Clarkson. I think we know what Lin is made of, likewise with Davis and Ellington. Who else needs more minutes? The cupboard is pretty bare.
Alloy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

I haven't seen that. Like I said, 35 is too many minutes, but I do notice Scott largely sticking to his strategy - pulling Kobe at the end of the first and third quarters, trying to sneak a few extra minutes of rest.

Part of the problem is that the Lakers are more mediocre than awful - they lose a lot, but they're usually in a decent position well into the second half (with exceptions like the Dallas game, any game against Golden State, etc). Makes it tempting to play him and see if we can win.

The only young'n that I think needs any run is Clarkson. I think we know what Lin is made of, likewise with Davis and Ellington. Who else needs more minutes? The cupboard is pretty bare.

Team basketball... Off ball movement... NBA is not street basketball and this Laker is playing more ISO than a street basketball...

Perhaps no other on this Laker had a great record in making ISO plays against double or triple team. But that does not mean that they could not make a open shot at a rate higher than what Kobe is forced (by BScott) to do right now.

It is not about who is the better player. It is ISO play with tired legs from a great player vs team ball with average shooters. I do not even want to mention the defense.

The logic that Kobe has no good enough team to pass to does not even stand the basic scrutiny. It has also been proven to wrong and wrong again by the game we won. In Spurs game, Kobe had mostly been great in passing the ball, that is the version of Kobe we need. Not the Kobe with tired leggs and made a lot of TOs in the last 3 minutes of a game.

It is a outright desrepect from the coach to run failed ISO Kobe plays. What does that say to other players who actually shoot a better percentage than those ISO plays? Think about that for a second.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject:

Alloy wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Team basketball... Off ball movement... NBA is not street basketball and this Laker is playing more ISO than a street basketball...

Perhaps no other on this Laker had a great record in making ISO plays against double or triple team. But that does not mean that they could not make a open shot at a rate higher than what Kobe is forced (by BScott) to do right now.

It is not about who is the better player. It is ISO play with tired legs from a great player vs team ball with average shooters. I do not even want to mention the defense.

The logic that Kobe has no good enough team to pass to does not even stand the basic scrutiny. It has also been proven to wrong and wrong again by the game we won. In Spurs game, Kobe had mostly been great in passing the ball, that is the version of Kobe we need. Not the Kobe with tired leggs and made a lot of TOs in the last 3 minutes of a game.

It is a outright desrepect from the coach to run failed ISO Kobe plays. What does that say to other players who actually shoot a better percentage than those ISO plays? Think about that for a second.

This post was hard to understand, but I think I get your basic meaning. It is a bad basketball decision to run ISO plays for Kobe down the stretch when he is clearly struggling in the latter part of games, but the fact is we're talking about Kobe Bryant.

Kobe has done enough for the franchise that it is worth letting him do what he wants to do for at least a season or two. Hopefully (no guarantees though) other star players will recognize that we treat our greats with the utmost respect. Even if they don't, I think its worth it to indulge Kobe.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Yeah that's ridiculous.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Alloy wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

This post was hard to understand, but I think I get your basic meaning. It is a bad basketball decision to run ISO plays for Kobe down the stretch when he is clearly struggling in the latter part of games, but the fact is we're talking about Kobe Bryant.

Kobe has done enough for the franchise that it is worth letting him do what he wants to do for at least a season or two. Hopefully (no guarantees though) other star players will recognize that we treat our greats with the utmost respect. Even if they don't, I think its worth it to indulge Kobe.

I don't, and what is best for Kobe is to realize who Kobe is today, not yesterday and preserve his health and not run him in the ground. Kobe looks awful out there and is not helping anyone and I don't think most LA fans are enjoying watching this version of him. The most respectful thing to do for him is to play him less minutes so he is fresh and has a better chance of preserving his health and getting through the season injury free.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Alloy wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

it's Scott's utter lack of creativity that's the problem.. I have no problem giving Kobe too much leeway, or even letting him shoot 30 shots a game.. but these get-the-eff-of-the-way straight out isos are just plain dumb. ..
Compounded by the fact that Scott's spacing is way off, and the guy hates shooting 3s

watching Scott coach this team makes me miss Rudy T .. if we are going old school, at least Rudy was an old school SOB who understood spacing.. by the way, Rudy also ran his decisions thru Kobe. Lol
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Alloy wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

it's Scott's utter lack of creativity that's the problem.. I have no problem giving Kobe too much leeway, or even letting him shoot 30 shots a game.. but these I do not agree with your opinion. of the way straight out isos are just plain dumb. ..
Compounded by the fact that Scott's spacing is way off, and the guy hates shooting 3s

watching Scott coach this team makes me miss Rudy T .. if we are going old school, at least Rudy was an old school SOB who understood spacing.. by the way, Rudy also ran his decisions thru Kobe. Lol

Wait, what? I've seen a ton of open threes from the Lakers for weeks now. I know that Scott wanted the Lakers to abstain from shooting threes in the beginning, but the trend has clearly reversed recently.

I don't think Byron's offensive sets are anything revolutionary, but I certainly don't see anything off strategically. The biggest problem with Byron's offense is that he doesn't have any good players running it.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Alloy wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

it's Scott's utter lack of creativity that's the problem.. I have no problem giving Kobe too much leeway, or even letting him shoot 30 shots a game.. but these I do not agree with your opinion. of the way straight out isos are just plain dumb. ..

Wait, what? I've seen a ton of open threes from the Lakers for weeks now. I know that Scott wanted the Lakers to abstain from shooting threes in the beginning, but the trend has clearly reversed recently.

I don't think Byron's offensive sets are anything revolutionary, but I certainly don't see anything off strategically. The biggest problem with Byron's offense is that he doesn't have any good players running it.

Lol. . Shooting open 3s does not equate to good spacing.
Nothing is reversed. I don't see plays specifically to shoot 3s...
Scott's biggest problem is that only the dream team can make this offense look good.. and they probably lose often too.
That's the problem right there. Scott needs to coach this team. Not the players he wishes he had. He needs to maximize the strengths of his team, not force them to his archaic idiotic system, where even Kobe is having a hard time playing in.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

Oh wow, man - all this time I thought open shots meant at least decent spacing.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Then you need to Put things into proper context. Like Ronnie Price shooting an open 3 due to being completely ignored by the opposition to trap and double Kobe is not a product of good spacing.
JuanCesta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Then you need to Put things into proper context. Like Ronnie Price shooting an open 3 due to being completely ignored by the opposition to trap and double Kobe is not a product of good spacing.

Byron Scott will set the Lakers record for most losses by a coach before being fired.

He will definitely set the single season record for losses. But the record for most losses before being fired will be set because he has so many old friends and teammates who are still affiliated with the team. Anybody else would be on a very hot seat right now. Kinda pathetic really.
For the whole real truth about Jeremy Lin and his toxic tenure with Houston and Kevin Mchale to a new beginning with the Lakers read my post on Pg 108 in "Official Jeremy Lin thread" posted 11/20/14 at 7:39pm.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject:

LOL, spacing is determined by where the opposing team has to stand, not where your team stands.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject:

If he can't control his minutes for whatever reason he should just start sitting Kobe out of some games, especially if he is feeling as bad as he says he is. They do it in Miami, SA etc it's not a huge deal for a player with his miles, we aren't winning with him on or off the floor anyways, might as well develop some of the young guys and highlight some other players for potential trades
BRICK
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

When b.scott says he will rest kobe, he means during practice.. LOL
rest kobe during practice, play him 40minutes a game, That sure makes a lot of sense, considering the coaches offense is give kobe the ball, no need to practice anything else.. jk, they gotta work hard and struggle on defense, while they get no reward for it.. PUT ME IN COACH..

I'm just going to ask, will the lakers hire me as a replacement for kobe or coach? I have this signature shot where i just throw the ball randomly over my head backwards, it goes in maybe 15% of the time.. but on good nights maybe 25%.. It's not much but ill ask for half of what kobe is making.. or yet just give me 10mill I wont take as many of the shots so It should still be more effective right?
or.. I can be coach and just read forums during live games... Now I KNOW that will be more effective.. Ill take 1mil for that job!
JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

Lin's comments on "unselfishness":
Quote:
https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/546853786065436672

https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/546851868182200321

Kobe on "figuring things out":
Quote:
"After 47 minutes of the 48-minute contest on Friday night, the Lakers trailed by only one point.

Uncharacteristically, Kobe Bryant was unable to get his shot going late in the game, and one of the greatest closers of all time only hit one of his seven shot attempts in the final period. Those missed shots, along with a couple questionable calls, cost the Lakers their first win of the 2014-15 season.

"I couldn't be more pleased with this loss, actually," Bryant said after the game. "I think we figured a lot of things out."

The Lakers may still be winless after three games, but Friday night was an example of a young team taking strides, and no Lakers’ player took a greater step forward than Lin.

"This is the blueprint for him," Bryant said about his point guard. "He asserted himself."

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/blogs/triple-threat/Lakers-lose-Clippers-Kobe-happy-Jeremy-Lin-281166532.html

Early Nets Jason Kidd's brand of unselfishness:
Quote:

(Lin and Kidd, at least to me, look to have the same deep passing game in transition; problem for Lin is he has no "receivers" who can get behind the defense in transition and catch his brilliant down field passes in transition; I think Jordan Clarkson could be that deep ball threat for Lin, but Clarkson hasn't been on floor with Lin since pre-season. Lin also doesn't have a canon arm like a Colin Kapernick (his receivers don't like to catch passes in practice because the ball stings so much), so Lin needs to get the defense off balance when he attempts one of his instinctive, split second read and react, casual tosses downfield; e. g. getting defensive rebound himself and pushing before defense can even get it's bearings and picking out his "receiver" in the wild and chaotic scramble that is transition:

He gets into trouble with those types of passes when he tries and deliberately manufacture one, e. g. trying that type of pass after made basket by other team, where defense has too much time to get back and set up against him.

Lin's a brilliant play action passing quarterback who needs a foundational running game (second focal point on offense that defense has to fully honor, or pushing in transition when defense is already off balance and can't quite get to his brilliantly placed casual tosses downfield) to be as effective as he can be.

Last edited by JLinfanJoe on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 692, 693, 694  Next
Page 81 of 694
Jump to: