OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT THREAD.....BREAKING NEWS...BYRON OFFICIALLY FIRED (Page 690)!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 692, 693, 694  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinKobe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

I don't buy the notion that there is no talent on the team because most NBA players have quality about them to reach this level. I know old time Lakers fans want to give BS the benefit of the doubt but bottom line, he's been appalling at maximizing the potential of the roster he has at hand and he ran his star player into the ground.A half-decent coach could have organized the defense better and be flexible with systems, when one isn't working. BS has not shown himself to be capable of responding to the changing dynamics that occur through the course of a game.

I know BS probably is tanking and has the FO's approval but there are right ways to do it and the wrong way to do it. BS by alienating most of his players and not treating players, who are not Kobe and Price, with respect, he's probably lost the team already, along with the good will of a lot of Lakers fans, with respect to him being a coach for the Lakers. BS might be what we need for the tank but moving forward, we will need someone with better decision making and cred with players, to attract good FAs and talent to the roster.
Lostology
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

I have never seen a coach talk so much crap on his players. There are times coaches call out players to motivate them. But what BS is doing is degrading or shaming players. The only time this season BS took the blame for anything was when he admitted playing Kobe too many minutes.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
I'm not the biggest Young or Lin fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll admit Byron has no interpersonal skills whatsoever...he could have talked with Jeremy before the SAS game about developing Clarkson and giving him more run using Price as a backup and that he might not see any time that game. At the very least, Jeremy knows can process the information and know what to expect going into the game. Instead, he doesn't talk to him, and Jeremy is left not talking to any reporters and wonder what he's done to seemingly fall out of the rotation after he's been in it all year. Great job, Byron.

As for Young, he's a dumba**; he's had a horrible month. Nevertheless, he should have kept his thoughts on Swaggy private and handled that situation internally. Why tell the media that Swaggy 'doesn't look like he doesn't want to be here;' apparently, that was after correcting him about a defensive assignment. Again, keep that in-house.

This kind of approach reeks of insecurity.

So, what's the solution?

Exactly how you said it- he should be telling these guys straight up what he expects out of them and stop hanging them out to dry in the media. Perhaps he's afraid of being challenged. When Boozer fired back via the media way back when, there was only silence.

Byron has no accoutability, he is not a student of the game, he is an arrogant spoiled "legend" who is still living in lakers' old glories...
He is lazy, he did not know when Sunday night's game started until meeting the reporters, half an hour late already...
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

How do you manage to piss off Nick Young? He's easily one of the happier-go-lucky (but definitely takes it to heart when he loses) on the roster. Kobe trusts him, teammates love him.

Byron Scott was brought here to do two things.

1) Secure the Lakers a top 5 draft pick this year.

2) Appease the Lakers' fans who were unjustly calling for Mike D'Antoni's head.

His "offense" lacks the necessary talent for it to thrive. Throwing it into the post to a player who doesn't necessarily draw any attention in the post seems like a waste to me.

I would imagine if Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, or even someone like Demarcus Cousins who can command a double team in the post and make the necessary pass that this offense may look a bit better.

The defense to me (which is now not-so-coincidentally) being blamed on the players and not the coach like Mike D'Antoni was.. still looks bad. I'd say it's improved somewhat.. but I wonder if you could attribute that to having players like Tarik Black and Ed Davis?

I'll continue to watch the Lakers because of my unwavering support for them.. but I really, really hope the Lakers rid themselves of Byron this off-season.

I hate to beat a dead horse here.. but at least with D'Antoni before the injuries came into play.. the Lakers were showing flashes of brilliance. I don't really see anything right now.

I wonder if a coach like George Karl or even the off-season "darling" Ettore Messina could be candidates
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:

I noticed something that I never noticed in Byron's contract; there is a Team Option for the final year of his deal. So, hypothetically, if he's gone after Kobe retires next year, we'll only be financially responsible for the 3rd year of his salary, right? We wouldn't have to pay him that 4th and final year since it's a TO, correct?
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

Imagine being paid millions of dollars to suck. Byron, you are one lucky chap.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:

Byron takes his time when it comes to rotational and strategic adjustments.
I hope by the end of this season he decides this is the rotation and strategy for this team.

Only Wesley Johnson and Ryan Kelly should run the power forward.
Noone else. They're the only guys who can space the floor out to the 3 point line at the PF position.

I know that means only 2 of the following players would play at the starting and backup center (Hill, Davis, Black, Boozer). But I'm comfortable with that.

2 offensive players in the paint may work for Memphis, Portland (at times), San Antonio (at times), Chicago, and Clippers. But they have the bigs to do it. We don't.

VTF was right this offseason, should've kept MDA.

I hated MDA last year because we had Pau and Kaman who were 2 seven footers that prefer scoring/operating close to the basket. Pau is a magnificent big to big passer, and post scorer. Kaman is a 7 footer with good post touch and a somewhat consistent midrange shot. Both those guys would've likely played better paint defense with a slower pace and more activity offensively as well.
None of the bigs on this team fit that description. Byron's high post/low post offense would been better suited for the team last year, and I would argue the Kobe, Pau, Dwight team as well (but that's besides the point).
This season our small, bigs (no 7 footers) are high energy guys who don't need/prefer consistent post touches. The offense doesn't fit the roster.

I know Hill, Davis, Black, and Boozer have shown their value at different times this season. But it's not worth playing all 4 of them. They're all too inconsistent and we are seeing little benefit in our paint defense by keeping two of them in at all times.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

fan4life wrote:

He is very very lucky because you or I can do a better job than he did.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Byron takes his time when it comes to rotational and strategic adjustments.
I hope by the end of this season he decides this is the rotation and strategy for this team.

Only Wesley Johnson and Ryan Kelly should run the power forward.
Noone else. They're the only guys who can space the floor out to the 3 point line at the PF position.

I know that means only 2 of the following players would play at the starting and backup center (Hill, Davis, Black, Boozer). But I'm comfortable with that.

2 offensive players in the paint may work for Memphis, Portland (at times), San Antonio (at times), Chicago, and Clippers. But they have the bigs to do it. We don't.

VTF was right this offseason, should've kept MDA.

I hated MDA last year because we had Pau and Kaman who were 2 seven footers that prefer scoring/operating close to the basket. Pau is a magnificent big to big passer, and post scorer. Kaman is a 7 footer with good post touch and a somewhat consistent midrange shot. Both those guys would've likely played better paint defense with a slower pace and more activity offensively as well.
None of the bigs on this team fit that description. Byron's high post/low post offense would been better suited for the team last year, and I would argue the Kobe, Pau, Dwight team as well (but that's besides the point).
This season our small, bigs (no 7 footers) are high energy guys who don't need/prefer consistent post touches. The offense doesn't fit the roster.

I know Hill, Davis, Black, and Boozer have shown their value at different times this season. But it's not worth playing all 4 of them. They're all too inconsistent and we are seeing little benefit in our paint defense by keeping two of them in at all times.

dude, if it takes him that long to figure out, we won't have time to have the players play, who knows who's coming back next year. It doesn't take a genius to see that Kelly is a stretch 4, who the hell plays a 6-10 at sf, it's not like he's deliet shreimf (spelling) or something. Even if he is, it's a pf in today's game.
Des0rbit
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
I can't blame Byron for this disaster, all the blame goes to the front office. Unlike past coaching hires like Mike Brown and D'Antoni who had talent on the roster to work with, Byron really has NOTHING! This roster isn't even good enough for the D-league! It's really pathetic what they turned this team into! bad move after bad move, bad decision after bad decision and now we're the joke of the league.

I strongly disagree with this post. This roster beat the Spurs and Warriors, once. So it definitely has potential to compete on the NBA level if utilized or coached correctly
Des0rbit
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject:

I think this year's roster is more suitable for MDA and last year's roster is more suitable for BS.

Oh the irony
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
followwind wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Tough guy approach is wearing thin. It's one thing to do so when you're not at the bottom. Imagine if Fisher was pulling this crap off in NY; he isn't, he's taking the blows like a champ.

no approach will work with this roster, they just suck! you could go coach them and get the same results as Coach K would!

That's not my point. I agree that from a wins/losses standpoint, not much can be done.

But I don't like how he's handling the minutes, how he managed Kobe, and his offensive/defensive systems. I would like to see infrastructure being built but all I see are makeshift constructs.

Even a bad roster can be coached to play a system. What's Byron Scott's system?

Some of you need to stop making excuses for this guy already.

Look at Quin Snyder. Or Brad Stevens. You see a foundation being laid despite poor records.

Exactly, even last season the roster was bad, but they played in MDA's system and you could at least expect to see that. Now, each game seems different than the last.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Lakersprime wrote:
fan4life wrote:

He is very very lucky because you or I can do a better job than he did.

There are a lot of people paid to suck... but most don't make anywhere near that money.

Oldest profession you know...
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Des0rbit wrote:
I think this year's roster is more suitable for MDA and last year's roster is more suitable for BS.

Oh the irony

I wonder if MDA would have still resigned if he knew we were getting Lin.
lifeless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

b.scott is pretty smart, the new lineup will guarantee a L within the first 5 minutes of the game, and from there on it will be playing catch up, good entertainment to see the team win the last 3 quarters only to lose by 10ish points, considering they will be down a (bleep) ton from the 1st quarter.

after the 20 game stretch with this line up going probably 2-18, scott will finally put in a real line up, and maybe we'll win 50% of the remaining games, which will secure scott's position as head coach for the next season, fooling everyone into thinking he's on to something.

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Is it sad that I still watch the games thinking... "Maybe I'm wrong about Byron and this game he'll show how his master plan all comes together!"?
Lostology
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Des0rbit wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
I can't blame Byron for this disaster, all the blame goes to the front office. Unlike past coaching hires like Mike Brown and D'Antoni who had talent on the roster to work with, Byron really has NOTHING! This roster isn't even good enough for the D-league! It's really pathetic what they turned this team into! bad move after bad move, bad decision after bad decision and now we're the joke of the league.

I strongly disagree with this post. This roster beat the Spurs and Warriors, once. So it definitely has potential to compete on the NBA level if utilized or coached correctly

This roster also beat the Hawks and Houston.
infinite-loop
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Is it sad that I still watch the games thinking... "Maybe I'm wrong about Byron and this game he'll show how his master plan all comes together!"?

I feel your pain. I often find myself trying to figure out how Byron's moves could be associated with trying to win a game. I fail every time. Byron's moves are only logical if the goal is to lose.
villavs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
followwind wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Tough guy approach is wearing thin. It's one thing to do so when you're not at the bottom. Imagine if Fisher was pulling this crap off in NY; he isn't, he's taking the blows like a champ.

no approach will work with this roster, they just suck! you could go coach them and get the same results as Coach K would!

That's not my point. I agree that from a wins/losses standpoint, not much can be done.

But I don't like how he's handling the minutes, how he managed Kobe, and his offensive/defensive systems. I would like to see infrastructure being built but all I see are makeshift constructs.

Look at Quin Snyder. Or Brad Stevens. You see a foundation being laid despite poor records.

Exactly, even last season the roster was bad, but they played in MDA's system and you could at least expect to see that. Now, each game seems different than the last.

The problem with the ever changing lineup is that for the players, it creates an environment of inconsistency. For coaching and management, it makes it hard to gauge what kind of talent you really have.

This ultimately causes a lack of identity for the Lakers.

Part of the blame goes to the injuries (Randle, Kobe), but I think the other part is self inflicted by the coaching staff. And this is when you really notice that they don't implement any real system.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

villavs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
followwind wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The problem with the ever changing lineup is that for the players, it creates an environment of inconsistency. For coaching and management, it makes it hard to gauge what kind of talent you really have.

Part of the blame goes to the injuries (Randle, Kobe), but I think the other part is self inflicted by the coaching staff. And this is when you really notice that they don't implement any real system.

It seems like there is a theoretical system in place (one that is inefficient and outdated, but one that exists), but that the coaching staff doesn't drill the players in how to actually apply it. Either that, or the players actively disregard the system that's been put in place. Regardless of the case, the fault lies in the coaching staff for failing to implement the system or for failing to get the players to buy in to the system. If there really are no principles in place for the team whatsoever then I really just don't know what to say about Byron as a coach anymore.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

i'm all for the FO trying tank for the lottery pick. that's fine. but do it right, like trading away your players for future assets, etc..

but as a coach, you don't start your 3rd string guys just to throw games, and treating these games like it's preseason. and everything scott has done up to this point says he doesn't care anymore.

starting 3rd string to throw games.
couldn't even bother to remember what time the game was.
inconsistent and head scratching rotations.

and meanwhile, you expect your players to care, play hard, and respect your coaching? nick gave up because the coach gave up already. he has a long term contract with the lakers. do you honestly expect nick to give a crap about what you think and what you want him to do? guys are starting to plan their summer vacations already, because the coach himself have checked out.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Honeybadger81 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
I'm not the biggest Young or Lin fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll admit Byron has no interpersonal skills whatsoever...he could have talked with Jeremy before the SAS game about developing Clarkson and giving him more run using Price as a backup and that he might not see any time that game. At the very least, Jeremy knows can process the information and know what to expect going into the game. Instead, he doesn't talk to him, and Jeremy is left not talking to any reporters and wonder what he's done to seemingly fall out of the rotation after he's been in it all year. Great job, Byron.

As for Young, he's a dumba**; he's had a horrible month. Nevertheless, he should have kept his thoughts on Swaggy private and handled that situation internally. Why tell the media that Swaggy 'doesn't look like he doesn't want to be here;' apparently, that was after correcting him about a defensive assignment. Again, keep that in-house.

So, what's the solution?

Exactly how you said it- he should be telling these guys straight up what he expects out of them and stop hanging them out to dry in the media. Perhaps he's afraid of being challenged. When Boozer fired back via the media way back when, there was only silence.

Byron has no accoutability, he is not a student of the game, he is an arrogant spoiled "legend" who is still living in lakers' old glories...
He is lazy, he did not know when Sunday night's game started until meeting the reporters, half an hour late already...

I guess you can say the same about Derek Fisher. These old ex-player coaches they have such great personnel and can't get their act together what failures.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

So, what's the solution?

I guess you can say the same about Derek Fisher. These old ex-player coaches they have such great personnel and can't get their act together what failures.

derek fisher is a rookie coach. he gets a pass while he figures out who he is as a coach.

byron has been doing for a long time. this is who he is.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait for Byron to be gone

Madsen
Messina

Or someone who is a fresh face on the NBA scene please
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
villavs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
villavs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
followwind wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It seems like there is a theoretical system in place (one that is inefficient and outdated, but one that exists), but that the coaching staff doesn't drill the players in how to actually apply it. Either that, or the players actively disregard the system that's been put in place. Regardless of the case, the fault lies in the coaching staff for failing to implement the system or for failing to get the players to buy in to the system. If there really are no principles in place for the team whatsoever then I really just don't know what to say about Byron as a coach anymore.

It's probably the one about the coaching staff not drilling it in to the players. I remember Boozer made a comment that this one of the differences between the Lakers coaching staff and the Bulls.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 692, 693, 694  Next
Page 135 of 694
Jump to: