OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT THREAD.....BREAKING NEWS...BYRON OFFICIALLY FIRED (Page 690)!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 692, 693, 694  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject:

villavs wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:
Voices wrote:
BigislandHank wrote:
Voices wrote:
qiantom wrote:
Voices wrote:
Kobe has been playing basketball for 30 plus years. You are blaming BS who has coached Kobe for less than half a season for his latest injury. Do you now see how ridiculous your comments are.

I see how ridiculous your comments and logic are.

Did BS manage him like he's been playing basketball for 30+ years?

What if BS played Kobe 48 min a game and had him run laps after the game? You are still going to blame the wear and tear of 30 years?

Kobe makes 25 million dollars, if he cannot take the heat get out of the kitchen. Kobe signed that ridiculous contract, it did not say... to whom it may concern, Kobe is an old basketball player, limit his min. so that he does not get injured again. Kobe is the only one that knows his abilities to absorb min. Kobe has a mouth if he thought that he was being over used he should have insisted to sit out games and play less min.

Personally I could care less if Kobe cannot play because of a torn rotator cuff, it has nothing to do with BS over using him. Kobe has a home gym and shoots the ball 100's of times himself, is BS suppose to sleep with Kobe so that he can make sure he does not practice to much at his personal gym? Kobe over uses himself, always has, always will, it has nothing to do with the coach, absolutely ridiculous.

It is so ridicules to blame any coach for a rotator cuff injury.

I don't blame Byron for the injury either (well, not entirely)...but it was stupid to play Kobe as many minutes as he did before he broke down and needed to take time off.

The kicker was trying to play him at point guard. Did Byron really think that it was going to work over the course of the season?

I think he did...and that is who we have as Head Coach.

Because Kobe could not throw a pea in the ocean and the fact that the team does not have b ball players that have a high ball I q, Kobe played PG and to my surprise play very well there.

I am not one to believe that you can coach injuries out of a 36 yr. old body, they are going to happen no matter what a coach does.

That's funny, Duncan, ginobili, pierce, and dirk all seem to be fine.

Interesting:

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he started resting Tim Duncan after winning the championship in 1999 “because the following year Timmy had a bad knee going into the playoffs. We had to make a decision.”

Duncan was 23 years old at the time and had just played his second NBA season.

“The docs cleared him, he could probably play, but I didn’t let him,” Popovich said. “I held him out. I did that with the thought of wanting him to have as long of a career as he wanted to. I didn’t want to take a chance to send him out there and do more damage to it. We had playoffs. So it started way back then.”

Lock at the record, Pop is delusional, he did not reduce Duncan's playing time after the 1999 season, Duncan average almost 40min. per game for his first six years.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject:

philnyc wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

When Byron had great players he went to finals, even rookie coaches like Kerr win when the talent is there. Don't forget superstar talent is what makes coaches legendary. Phil wouldn't be mentioned if not for MJ, Shaq and Kobe.

Other than Jason Kidd (who couldn't stand Byron), what "great player" did Byron go to the finals with? Kerry Kittles? Keith Van Horn? Jim McIlvaine?

You kinda just made his point for him.

Quote:

Eddie Jordan's system, Lawrence Frank's attention to detail, and Kidd's leadership on the court got them there in a very weak Eastern Conference.

Oh yeah - Eddie Jordan and Lawrence Frank have both gone on to do amazing things since then. They were clearly the reason for Byron's success in New Jersey. How did they help him in New Orleans, though?
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject:

Lostology wrote:
villavs wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Honeybadger81 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
I'm not the biggest Young or Lin fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll admit Byron has no interpersonal skills whatsoever...he could have talked with Jeremy before the SAS game about developing Clarkson and giving him more run using Price as a backup and that he might not see any time that game. At the very least, Jeremy knows can process the information and know what to expect going into the game. Instead, he doesn't talk to him, and Jeremy is left not talking to any reporters and wonder what he's done to seemingly fall out of the rotation after he's been in it all year. Great job, Byron.

As for Young, he's a dumba**; he's had a horrible month. Nevertheless, he should have kept his thoughts on Swaggy private and handled that situation internally. Why tell the media that Swaggy 'doesn't look like he doesn't want to be here;' apparently, that was after correcting him about a defensive assignment. Again, keep that in-house.

This kind of approach reeks of insecurity.

So, what's the solution?

Exactly how you said it- he should be telling these guys straight up what he expects out of them and stop hanging them out to dry in the media. Perhaps he's afraid of being challenged. When Boozer fired back via the media way back when, there was only silence.

Byron has no accoutability, he is not a student of the game, he is an arrogant spoiled "legend" who is still living in lakers' old glories...
He is lazy, he did not know when Sunday night's game started until meeting the reporters, half an hour late already...

I guess you can say the same about Derek Fisher. These old ex-player coaches they have such great personnel and can't get their act together what failures.

No comment on Derek Fisher specifically, but there have been a lot of good ex-players turned coaches. You got retired coaches like Riley and Phil Jackson and current guys like Doc Rivers and Kidd and Kerr, etc.

Notice how none of them are ex-Laker players.

Pat Riley isn't an ex-Laker?
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
philnyc wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

When Byron had great players he went to finals, even rookie coaches like Kerr win when the talent is there. Don't forget superstar talent is what makes coaches legendary. Phil wouldn't be mentioned if not for MJ, Shaq and Kobe.

Other than Jason Kidd (who couldn't stand Byron), what "great player" did Byron go to the finals with? Kerry Kittles? Keith Van Horn? Jim McIlvaine? Eddie Jordan's system, Lawrence Frank's attention to detail, and Kidd's leadership on the court got them there in a very weak Eastern Conference.

My point is you can't win squat if you don't have superstars in the NBA. Putting it all on the coach is pure stupidity. The fault doesn't lie completely on Byron, but mostly on the FO who has made mistake after mistake. Coaches are always scape goats for poor management. Anyone putting on the coaching shoes with this current team would be equally in tank mode. The top dude wouldn't touch this team with a ten foot pole.

Even if we had great players, would you want Byron coaching them?

Sure, why not? We can't have Phil, unless we dig up some compromising photos of Pop I doubt we could convince/blackmail him to come here, Adelman is retired, Doc Rivers is employed/an ex-Celtic/overrated as hell - so who else is there?
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
philnyc wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

Other than Jason Kidd (who couldn't stand Byron), what "great player" did Byron go to the finals with? Kerry Kittles? Keith Van Horn? Jim McIlvaine? Eddie Jordan's system, Lawrence Frank's attention to detail, and Kidd's leadership on the court got them there in a very weak Eastern Conference.

My point is you can't win squat if you don't have superstars in the NBA. Putting it all on the coach is pure stupidity. The fault doesn't lie completely on Byron, but mostly on the FO who has made mistake after mistake. Coaches are always scape goats for poor management. Anyone putting on the coaching shoes with this current team would be equally in tank mode. The top dude wouldn't touch this team with a ten foot pole.

Even if we had great players, would you want Byron coaching them?

Hell yeah! IF potato head went to the finals with LBJ, I think Scott would actually win one.

LOL you really think Lebron wouldn't get him fired before he went to the finals?

LeBron got to the finals with Mike Brown without getting him fired. Why couldn't he do so with Byron?
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
What people don't understand is that Scott came here to coach the Lakers because he loves the Lakers. He knew he wasn't going to win squat with this squad. He was going to see were this train was going to lead him with an aging superstar coming off major injuries, rookies, and one year wonderers. Then hope he could be part of the rebuilding process.
Unlike guys like Doc Rivers who wants out of the kitchen when the fire is hot, and looks for the stablished team. Heck everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too.
I find Scott a true Laker someone that really cares about this team, and it's history as a franchise. He is willing to take the heat, and grow from the bottom. The other guys we've had besides Phil, didn't give a sh*t.

All true. But that doesn't make him a good basketball coach. And that is the problem

Doesn't make him a bad one, either. Jury is still out. We gotta give him players and see what he does. If he's Del Harris in 1998, okay - fire him. Until then we just don't know.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
22 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
What people don't understand is that Scott came here to coach the Lakers because he loves the Lakers. He knew he wasn't going to win squat with this squad. He was going to see were this train was going to lead him with an aging superstar coming off major injuries, rookies, and one year wonderers. Then hope he could be part of the rebuilding process.
Unlike guys like Doc Rivers who wants out of the kitchen when the fire is hot, and looks for the stablished team. Heck everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too.
I find Scott a true Laker someone that really cares about this team, and it's history as a franchise. He is willing to take the heat, and grow from the bottom. The other guys we've had besides Phil, didn't give a sh*t.

All true. But that doesn't make him a good basketball coach. And that is the problem

Doesn't make him a bad one, either. Jury is still out. We gotta give him players and see what he does. If he's Del Harris in 1998, okay - fire him. Until then we just don't know.

I feel like I have to roll out another driver analogy. If a driver is running red lights and jerking around the wheel erratically in a crappy car, you do NOT put him in a more expensive vehicle.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
22 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

I feel like I have to roll out another driver analogy. If a driver is running red lights and jerking around the wheel erratically in a crappy car, you do NOT put him in a more expensive vehicle.

In this analogy our "driver" hasn't even left the garage yet because the "car" wouldn't start. You can't run red lights in a car that won't run.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject:

lifeless wrote:
b.scott is pretty smart, the new lineup will guarantee a L within the first 5 minutes of the game, and from there on it will be playing catch up, good entertainment to see the team win the last 3 quarters only to lose by 10ish points, considering they will be down a (bleep) ton from the 1st quarter.

after the 20 game stretch with this line up going probably 2-18, scott will finally put in a real line up, and maybe we'll win 50% of the remaining games, which will secure scott's position as head coach for the next season, fooling everyone into thinking he's on to something.

Hope you're right. I can't wait to see this real line up
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
22 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

In this analogy our "driver" hasn't even left the garage yet because the "car" wouldn't start. You can't run red lights in a car that won't run.

The car wouldn't start because he was trying to fuel it with kerosene. JK, I think we've taken the analogy as far as it should go...
Lorenzomax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject:

At the beginning of last summer, I thought BS is one of the worse coaches in the L. But now? I think he is just simply the worst of it.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
22 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

The car wouldn't start because he was trying to fuel it with kerosene. JK, I think we've taken the analogy as far as it should go...

You're probably right! Agree to disagree, although I still think the problem is the car and not the fuel or the driver.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject:

Lorenzomax wrote:
At the beginning of last summer, I thought BS is one of the worse coaches in the L. But now? I think he is just simply the worst of it.

Scott Brooks says "hi." I've never seen a coach do less with more than him.
philnyc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
philnyc wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

Other than Jason Kidd (who couldn't stand Byron), what "great player" did Byron go to the finals with? Kerry Kittles? Keith Van Horn? Jim McIlvaine?

You kinda just made his point for him.

Huh...so you think Kerry Kittles, KVH and Jim McIlvaine are superstar talents? As many Nets fans will attest to, those Nets got to the finals despite Scott, not because of him. (fwiw, despite my screen name, I was a huge NJ Nets fan beginning in the old Mookie Blaylock/Sam Bowie days until they decided to move to Brooklyn...followed them pretty intensely during those years)

Quote:

Quote:

Eddie Jordan's system, Lawrence Frank's attention to detail, and Kidd's leadership on the court got them there in a very weak Eastern Conference.

Oh yeah - Eddie Jordan and Lawrence Frank have both gone on to do amazing things since then. They were clearly the reason for Byron's success in New Jersey. How did they help him in New Orleans, though?

Never said Jordan and Frank were great head coaches, but it was pretty well-documented that Jordan was the one who brought the Princeton system to the Nets. And Frank is a good enough assistant get get hired by Doc Rivers both in Boston and with the Clippers.

What did Byron do in New Orleans? Got to the playoffs twice in 6 years?
followwind
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject:

Those of you who still think the jury is still out on Byron, please enlighten me on this subject:

Kobe's play time.

I am all ears.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
22 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

This driver also has a poor driving record, crashing previous vehicles. Would not put him in expensive vehicle, nor would I insure.
tyusedney1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject:

with a turbo system in place, your honda can outrace a bmw
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject:

followwind wrote:
Those of you who still think the jury is still out on Byron, please enlighten me on this subject:

Kobe's play time.

I am all ears.

<crickets>
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:

yeah but it's still a car, and there are a few basic things that the driver can't even do regardless of the type of car he's in, such as latching on the seat belt, adjust the mirrors so he can see properly, know whether he has an automatic or manual, gas or diesel, etc...

but seriously, a lot of his head scratching decisions this year has nothing to do with the quality of the talent on the team. i don't think people are upset at the wins and losses, although that's part of it. people are questioning his decision making skills, the way he manages a team and personnel, his commitment to the team despite the talent level (have you ever heard of a coach forgetting the time of a game??), his insistence on fitting square pegs into round holes, etc..
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

Couldn't agree more with Voices, Vegas, and loyal.

On the list of Lakers problems, the roster is waaaaaay higher on the list than Scott's coaching.

Who's the best player on this team right now? Who's the most consistent? Jordan Hill?
That's never a good sign.

Scott has played Clarkson, Price, and Lin at starting and backup point guard. In every case we're well below .500.

He's played Hill, Davis, Boozer, and Black with varying minutes. The results barely changed.

He doesn't have the luxury of his 1st round draft pick either (randle).

This roster is horrible, it's hard to see how they have been "held back" in any way. Scott made it to the second round of the playoffs as coach of a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense (different years). But this roster doesn't have that aptitude on either end of the floor.

Defense is our biggest issue, Scott and his coaching staff changed the defense in the Toronto game. We still are horrible.
Boozer, Lin, Kobe, Young, Hill were all bad defenders before they came here.
Wes, Kelly, and Ellington have been "space-cadets" defensively before Scott as well.

Give Scott a good roster that can be at least average on both ends of the floor, then evaluate. I'm glad the FO seems to be on the same page as me and the posters I named above.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

There should be a Lakers Roster P&M Thread twice the size of this one.
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

On the list of Lakers problems, the roster is waaaaaay higher on the list than Scott's coaching.

Who's the best player on this team right now? Who's the most consistent? Jordan Hill?

Scott has played Clarkson, Price, and Lin at starting and backup point guard. In every case we're well below .500.

He's played Hill, Davis, Boozer, and Black with varying minutes. The results barely changed.

This roster is horrible, it's hard to see how they have been "held back" in any way. Scott made it to the second round of the playoffs as coach of a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense (different years). But this roster doesn't have that aptitude on either end of the floor.

Defense is our biggest issue, Scott and his coaching staff changed the defense in the Toronto game. We still are horrible.
Wes, Kelly, and Ellington have been "space-cadets" defensively before Scott as well.

Give Scott a good roster that can be at least average on both ends of the floor, then evaluate. I'm glad the FO seems to be on the same page as me and the posters I named above.

I'd rather have Quin Snyder, their team sucks, but they look so much better than the Lakers. They actually have a system in place. Much better ball movement. Easy Peasy.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Give Scott a good roster that can be at least average on both ends of the floor, [b]then evaluate.[/b] I'm glad the FO seems to be on the same page as me and the posters I named above.

not just a good roster, why don't we give scott the perfect roster that fits perfectly into his system, then evaluate?

biggest bs I've heard. No thanks. I'll hire the coach that takes a below avg roster to avg, takes a avg roster to above avg, and take the above avg roster to win it all.

but it doesn't matter, because by the time scott is gone, we still won't have a good roster from the look of things.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

More talent would help the team of course, but even if we got more talent, I think Byron would be holding them back.

The way I see it, the current offense system doesn't even try to get efficient shots, and often defaults into pickup ball. It would take not just better talent but a once in a generation PG talent to give Byron a top ten offense, and even then it would be difficult because defenses have gotten so good at shutting down the point of attack.

On defense, the entire philosophy needs to change for them to even get close to a top ten defense regardless of what defensive studs they pick up. They stopped doing completely stupid things partway through the season, but they are still going about it the wrong way. The Lakers are currently number 1 in fewest mid range field goals allowed, which is the shot that every other team in the league tries to force their opponent to take. That they force opponents away from these shots and towards more efficient ones is completely backwards, but its not surprising because they themselves are at the top of the league in mid range shots taken.

These are things that have nothing to do with the roster. They're being inefficient on purpose.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

At least Byron provides stability by not throwing guys into the starting lineup and then yanking them out of the rotation or giving them DNPs for no apparent reason.

Oh wait -- never mind.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 692, 693, 694  Next
Page 137 of 694
Jump to: