OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT THREAD.....BREAKING NEWS...BYRON OFFICIALLY FIRED (Page 690)!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 692, 693, 694  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

SemperMalum wrote:
Posted this in the tank thread, but it's also relevant to Byron Scott. Sooo, yeah. Mods, if you don't like me doing this, let me know/delete.

Scott Not Trying to Tank

Byron Scott wrote:
“We’re not trying to tank games. That’s absurd,” Scott said. “We’re going to try to win every game. Whatever happens after that with the lottery pick happens. But if you’re going to lose every game so we can get the best pick, I think it backfires. We’re trying to build a culture here that you have to come to play hard every single night.”

because winning 25+ games and winning 18 games is really that important in the grand scheme of things

not to mention building a winning culture with a bunch of scrubs not even part of this team's long term plan

this guy..
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Voices wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Voices wrote:
This Laker team sucks, not because of BS but because of Jim Buss and Mitch. There is not one team in the West that is ahead of Lakers that is not better than the Lakers. The Jim Buss Mitch Lakers do not have one player better than the starting five of Utah.

Doc Rivers is now being blasted by Lakers fans, the Clippers are two games from being 4th in the extremely tough West and now he is being blasted by Lakers fans in disguise.

Lakers fans have plenty to be disgusted with, Jim and Mitch are hiding behind the rich Laker fans, the fans that go to games because they can afford the tickets, fans that truly care about the Lakers will eventually stop spending their hard earned money, until that happens Jim and Mitch will continue to put a unacceptable product on the table. Lakers fans have been told they are eating steak in reality they are eating crow.

I think true Lakers fans know that this year is a wash, really theres only 31 games left in the season. The front office probably knew they didn't have much options after striking out in free agency last year, so they basically built a team from guys who might not be here next year. If you look at the Lakers potential this offseason, its probably a better foundation for the long term health of this team when you look at how many draft picks they could have over the summer plus money for free agents. So the die hards know that they would take one really awful year just so they can properly reload for the future.

This site is full of true Lakers fans that are bashing the coach, yet the bashing of BS goes on.

I am starting to get the feeling that Mitch has no idea how to build a team from scratch, he has never done that before, he has just had to add a piece here or there to keep the ball rolling. The Lakers have no keepers on this team with the exception of Hill, who is a border line keeper. Nick seems to be unhappy with Scott, what the "h" has Young done to have the clout to mess with a coach? Things are out of control because managements has failed to put an acceptable product on the floor. You do not rebuild a team in one year, this year seems to be a waste, Davis, the one player with potential will become a UFA because management had no idea that he was actually a player with some talent. It shows that the Lakers pick up Davis just because he was athletic, they really had no idea that Davis might be actually have NBA talent.

The way your response is worded, you seem to think that management will build a team next season and beyond, I do not share your optimistic p o v for Mitch and Jim. Will shall see moving foreword.

So then lets give Mitch more than a year before we claim he can't build from scratch?

As long as we get our top 5 pick this year, we're in a really nice position to rebuild. We'd have some really touted blue chip prospects, some very solid picks/second/third year guys, and a ton of cap space to play with.

That said, Byron was brought in for a very specific reason, fill the seat while we transition to post Kobe. Fans won't burn the streets if he fails the way we did for MDA, it'll make Kobe happy in a situation where we can't do much else for him, he resembles and "accomplished" coach to help push the rhetoric of we don't tank, he seems to do well with young players, brings a positive culture change, and his loyalty to the franchise will allow them to manipulate him into tanking if need be.

Highly doubtful that they fire him this summer but I don't blame him or front office for how bad we are this year. We're transitioning eras and it's going to be a process, Mitch and Co are tearing down the roster and replenishing with young talent and given what we have currently, no coach could win.

Don't think he's ever going to be a championship coach but for our current position, he's perfect. Hopefully we can get a guy like Coach Cal in 2016 who brings a certain cache to the franchise. Kevin Ollie, Fred Hoiberg, etc would all be good fits and I think current stars would vibe with them.

I do not know if BS will ever win a championship, after all only one coach wins a championship every year. I do know for sure that winning a championship directly reflects how good the talent is. I am a believer that most NBA coaches are capable of coaching a team to championship, if they have the talent. BS winning 16 games with this team is a accomplishment, he has faced huge pressure from fans that have no concept that winning directly correlates to talent, especially at the NBA level.

The first thing to winning is talent, if Jim and Mitch cannot assemble talent over the next two years, talent good enough to be competitive night in and night out, then coaching means nothing!
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject:

I just found my commemorative Sports Illustrated Three-Peat magazine from 2002. In it there's an article about our series against the Nets (obviously). One of the quotes, to paraphrase, was that Byron made the mistake of playing veteran Keith Van Horn over young gun Richard Jefferson (sound familiar?), and didn't figure out the right defensive scheme to use against Shaq/Kobe until the last game
Spoolxx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

LOL oh god. Cooper on ABC just said that Byron has done an exceptional job and that Ellington is/should be our starting shooting guard for the future.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Spoolxx wrote:
LOL oh god. Cooper on ABC just said that Byron has done an exceptional job and that Ellington is/should be our starting shooting guard for the future.

So one of the best Laker perimeter defenders ever says that a turnstile should be our starting SG and a coach coaching us to a bottom 3 defense is doing "exceptional".

That's friendship I guess.
allyoop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Pete Carrill Inteview on the Princeton and BS

http://afansnotes.posthaven.com/legendary-princeton-coach-tells-me-about-lin

Quote:
I used to cover Princeton basketball when I was with The (Newark) Star-Ledger and they were coached by future Hall of Famer, Pete Carril, inventor of the Princeton Offense. I got his phone number and called him. He's 84 now. We talked about Jeremy Lin, the Princeton Offense, and Byron Scott. Carril told me he copied the Princeton Offense from watching two teams: Bill Russell's Celtics, and the (1969-70) Knicks with Bill Bradley.

NATHAN GOTTLIEB: Would you have recruited Lin when you were coaching at Princeton?

PETE CARRIL: Absolutely, no doubt about it. The thing I like about him is he comes to play every night, and he's always happy to be on the floor doing anything he can to help the team win. He's not a superstar, but he's awful damn good. He had so many things to overcome and he did it. It's not easy to make it to the NBA.

NG: What is your opinion of him as an NBA player and as a person?

PC: I've always liked Lin. I actually met him once in California. I was coaching a team in a summer league and we lost three straight to this team from Taiwan. Lin played with them and he was killing us.

NG: Byron Scott said in training camp he was going to run your Princeton Offense with a few changes. Have you seen the Lakers play, and do they run the Princeton?

PC: Yes, I've watched them, and so far I haven't seem them run the Princeton. In today's NBA, people say you're running the Princeton if you make two passes (laughs). If you watch the Spurs, they come close to running it with the way they pass, the way their players move. But they run more than I did at Princeton. The thing I did as a coach with my offense is after I'd seen what my players can and cannot do, then I'd adjust my system to them.

NG: What do you think of Scott as a coach?

PC: Well, he made the Finals twice with the Nets. But the thing with Byron in New Jersey, he had players like Kidd who could run, pass, and move the ball. Byron knows how to do it (uptempo). But when you have ball stoppers you can't do it.

NG: Kobe Bryant is a ball stopper, don't you think?

PC: (laughs) I take the fifth (amendment) on any controversial questions. (laughs)

NG: Some of my Lin friends want to see him sign next year with the Knicks. The Knicks run the Triangle Offense. Would Lin fit in the Triangle?

PC:That's hard to say. He's really good in the open court, so to the extent they'd get him the ball in open court, he'd be fine. It's not a perfect fit for him, but Lin can fit in any system. He's a winning type kid, that's why.

NG: Do you think he'd fit in with San Antonio?

PC: Yes, I do with the way they play.

NG: Anything else you'd like to say, Pete?

PC: If you see Lin, tell him I hope he keeps doing good work.
persons
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

BS needs to realize that his starting unit is actually his bench unit.. its sad that he truly believes they are better than his bench talent so hes playing them end games and losing every single one.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
I just found my commemorative Sports Illustrated Three-Peat magazine from 2002. In it there's an article about our series against the Nets (obviously). One of the quotes, to paraphrase, was that Byron made the mistake of playing veteran Keith Van Horn over young gun Richard Jefferson (sound familiar?), and didn't figure out the right defensive scheme to use against Shaq/Kobe until the last game

To be fair, there isn't a defensive scheme known to man that could stop those 2. Basically foul and pray the refs swallow the whistle.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

The Nets weren't stopping the Lakers that year....they had just beaten the Kings in a brutal 7 game series.....no amount of schemes the Nets could come up with could beat the Lakers.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

The Nets weren't stopping the Lakers that year....they had just beaten the Kings in a brutal 7 game series.....no amount of schemes the Nets could come up with could beat the Lakers.

Another thing that happened was that the Lakers figured out before the series even started that they could play 12 feet off Kenyon Martin and completely mess up their half court offense. The Nets were at a complete loss as to what to do to counter.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Another thing that happened was that the Lakers figured out before the series even started that they could play 12 feet off Kenyon Martin and completely mess up their half court offense. The Nets were at a complete loss as to what to do to counter.

Something the celtics would do to odom and la in 08, and a favor LA would repay them and rondo with in 2010.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Byron talking like we had just won a Playoff game praising defense and rebounds, then jokes we could go on a "21-game winning streak".

Although we only have 19 games left.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/LakersSBN/status/575493818172112898

Byron Scott has the 2nd worst winning percentage of all coaches who have coached 1000+ games. If you count Kevin Loughery's three seasons in the ABA, Byron is the worst.

I think 1000+ games is enough to show who you are as a coach, don't you? And what Byron has shown is that he is literally the worst.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

^I don't need the stats to show me that he is the worst coach in NBA history. It is nice to confirm though.
Liam_x7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:

"The Lakers were officially knocked out when the New Orleans Pelicans defeated the Brooklyn Nets. They later beat the Detroit Pistons 93-85 to improve to 17-46"

"I don't think about that, to be honest with you," coach Byron Scott said of the Lakers' elimination. "I'm just thinking about the process of this team continuing to get better and just sticking with what we talked about on both ends of the floor. From day one to now, we've gotten better on the defensive end. That's what I've been preaching all season long, so that makes me happy.

Is this guy a moron?? We are 2nd to last in points allowed this season. He really is a dumbass. How can that make you happy. Get rid of this inept coach
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

"NATHAN GOTTLIEB: Byron Scott said in training camp he was going to run your Princeton Offense with a few changes. Have you seen the Lakers play, and do they run the Princeton?

Pete Carrill Yes, I've watched them, and so far I haven't seem them run the Princeton. In today's NBA, people say you're running the Princeton if you make two passes (laughs). If you watch the Spurs, they come close to running it with the way they pass, the way their players move. But they run more than I did at Princeton. The thing I did as a coach with my offense is after I'd seen what my players can and cannot do, then I'd adjust my system to them. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This can't be stated enough. The moment Scott had his press conference when he was hired and was asked what sort of offense he had, I knew he was a total shyster.

Scott (paraphrased) : " We'll run when we can. Have elements of Princeton, little bit of the triangle. Little bit of this, and that...blah blah blah".

If any of you have been a position of interviewing someone, that's a classic case of buzz-word (bleep). Leverage! Detail oriented! It was so transparent it was almost comical.

Of course, lest we all forget.

- Showtime!
- NJ Nets!

What a disgrace. 1000 games and managing to set new standards of coaching ineptitude by the game.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:21 am; edited 3 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

Blade wrote:
"The Lakers were officially knocked out when the New Orleans Pelicans defeated the Brooklyn Nets. They later beat the Detroit Pistons 93-85 to improve to 17-46"

"I don't think about that, to be honest with you," coach Byron Scott said of the Lakers' elimination. "I'm just thinking about the process of this team continuing to get better and just sticking with what we talked about on both ends of the floor. From day one to now, we've gotten better on the defensive end. That's what I've been preaching all season long, so that makes me happy.

Is this guy a moron?? We are 2nd to last in points allowed this season. He really is a dumbass. How can that make you happy. Get rid of this inept coach

This one was classic. There a couple of people here that were banging on D'antoni for not emphasizing defense (rightfully) in an attempt to defend Byron. We're also 2nd to last in defensive rating as well. We moved from dead last to 2nd to last in points allowed after last night.

Showtime!

NJ Nets!
purple.23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Blade wrote:

This one was classic. There a couple of people here that were banging on D'antoni for not emphasizing defense (rightfully) in an attempt to defend Byron. We're also 2nd to last in defensive rating as well. We moved from dead last to 2nd to last in points allowed after last night.

Showtime!

NJ Nets!
So did Boozer actually have a point when he said that they only "talk about" defense? So all BS's been doing the whole season was just "preaching?"
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

purple.23 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Blade wrote:

Showtime!

NJ Nets!
So did Boozer actually have a point when he said that they only "talk about" defense? So all BS's been doing the whole season was just "preaching?"

of course he had a point. thinking and talking about things will only get you so far - the best way to get better at anything is through focused repetition.
madddogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't think scott knows basketball. Lakers 3 game win streak, using a bunch of pick and rolls, scott says he doesn't like too many pick and rolls.

Rotations that nobody understands, sacre a starter? Black DNP until recently? Clarkson DNP first half of season instead playing head of the snake? Kelly absolutely being abused at the 3?

Scott= Randy Pfund
trunkz08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Blade wrote:

Showtime!

NJ Nets!

I remember last season when Dave Miller, Worthy, and Scott were killing D'Antoni and the lack of defense. Now this year it's just as worse or even worse, but Miller and Worthy haven't said one peep about it other than Byron doesn't have the talent....bunch of homers.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
SemperMalum wrote:
Posted this in the tank thread, but it's also relevant to Byron Scott. Sooo, yeah. Mods, if you don't like me doing this, let me know/delete.

Scott Not Trying to Tank

Byron Scott wrote:
“We’re not trying to tank games. That’s absurd,” Scott said. “We’re going to try to win every game. Whatever happens after that with the lottery pick happens. But if you’re going to lose every game so we can get the best pick, I think it backfires. We’re trying to build a culture here that you have to come to play hard every single night.”

because winning 25+ games and winning 18 games is really that important in the grand scheme of things

not to mention building a winning culture with a bunch of scrubs not even part of this team's long term plan

this guy..

You have to take this with a grain of salt. No coach would ever admit to tanking. And he's right about building a culture. That's important. He's just building it with guys who won't be here next year. He should be doing it with Clarkson and Black, not Boozer and Lin.
purple.23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:

What is a sponsore?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
SemperMalum wrote:

Scott Not Trying to Tank

Byron Scott wrote:

this guy..

You have to take this with a grain of salt. No coach would ever admit to tanking. And he's right about building a culture. That's important. He's just building it with guys who won't be here next year. He should be doing it with Clarkson and Black, not Boozer and Lin.

building a culture comes from the very top with personal accountability. when the coach is actively throwing players under the bus to the media I'm not sure what kind of culture that's building.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject:

purple.23 wrote:
What is a sponsore?

An italian sponsor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 692, 693, 694  Next
Page 151 of 694
Jump to: