Wizards MJ v. current Kobe.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Wizards MJ v. current Kobe.

Anyone who thinks Kobe looks like Wizards MJ is delusional. He moves much better and is a much better scorer and defender.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wizards MJ v. current Kobe.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Anyone who thinks Kobe looks like Wizards MJ is delusional. He moves much better and is a much better scorer and defender.

Yeah, Wiz Jordan isn't a good comparison for Kobe. He looks more limber...plus Kobe is 3-4 years younger (and that makes a big difference at that age).
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject:

the kobe that played 6 games last season was more wizards jordan
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject:

Jordan at 40, 41 was also thicker and more of a SF. Kobe lost weight, is really better suited (size wise) as a SF.
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject:

Jordan averaged roughly 21, 5, 5 on 43% FG and playing 36 minutes per game over two seasons.

I think the comparison is quite valid, given the way both rely heavily on the post and midrange game and Kobe being a career 45% shooter.

The wizards won 37 games both seasons. Given what we've witnessed thus far, that might be a generous # of wins for our boys.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:

fan4life wrote:
Jordan averaged roughly 21, 5, 5 on 43% FG and playing 36 minutes per game over two seasons.

I think the comparison is quite valid, given the way both rely heavily on the post and midrange game and Kobe being a career 45% shooter.

The wizards won 37 games both seasons. Given what we've witnessed thus far, that might be a generous # of wins for our boys.

Difference between a 36 year old body and 40, 41 version is tremendous. The fact Jordan needed 36 mpg to get 21/5/5 tells you that.
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fan4life wrote:

Difference between a 36 year old body and 40, 41 version is tremendous. The fact Jordan needed 36 mpg to get 21/5/5 tells you that.

It's a recovering from two major injuries, a lot more mileage than the normal 36 year old body. I think this year will find Kobe getting the same stats as a 40 year old MJ.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

ppineda wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
fan4life wrote:

It's a recovering from two major injuries, a lot more mileage than the normal 36 year old body. I think this year will find Kobe getting the same stats as a 40 year old MJ.

But MJ carried probably 15-20 more pounds, was 4-5 years older than Kobe, didn't play for years, etc.

Kobe's had 18 months off. Yes, the injuries will take the edge out of his athleticism, but I'm not prepared to say he will be as lethargic as MJ was when he played at 40, 41.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

I don't want to see Kobe anywhere near a basketball at age 41.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject:

Don't get me wrong, MJ playing NBA ball at that age was pretty amazing. But he was sucking wind and fatigued despite playing those minutes. He was coasting a lot, and for a 40-41 year old, still impressive.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

Actually, i think that athletically Jordan as a Wizard was not far off from what Kobe is today even at 40. Problem Jordan had was that he wore down in the 2nd half of the season due to age... he was extremely good in the first half of the seasons as a Wizard. We'll see if Kobe can sustain himself better.

That's what age does btw... you lose athleticism sure. But the bigger thing is that you don't recover between games and the fatigue accumulates over a season as a result.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Actually, i think that athletically Jordan as a Wizard was not far off from what Kobe is today even at 40. Problem Jordan had was that he wore down in the 2nd half of the season due to age... he was extremely good in the first half of the seasons as a Wizard. We'll see if Kobe can sustain himself better.

That's what age does btw... you lose athleticism sure. But the bigger thing is that you don't recover between games and the fatigue accumulates over a season as a result.

He looked really heavy and lethargic, barely able to dunk. And for a 40-41 year old, no problem.

I don't think Kobe, physically, is there, thanks in part to his ability to keep the weight off. Jordan looked pretty heavy when I saw him that year.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

He looked really heavy and lethargic, barely able to dunk. And for a 40-41 year old, no problem.

I don't think Kobe, physically, is there, thanks in part to his ability to keep the weight off. Jordan looked pretty heavy when I saw him that year.

Kobe's had an Achilles tear though and Jordan was more athletic to begin with.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Kobe's had an Achilles tear though and Jordan was more athletic to begin with.

Sure. But that's why he kept his weight down. I don't think it's close re: Kobe's current athleticism vs. Jordan's at 40-41. Dude was away from the game entirely for a while, packed on weight, which really slowed him down. I remember watching him dunk one game and it was ugly.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

Kobe dunked pretty well tbh early in the season. He just couldn't anymore come February . Just some examples:

1:30 mark
sammo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

you guys think kobe is really trying right now, during preseason?

is the kobe you remember a type of guy that gives opponents a pat on the back when they shoot a 3 in front of his face?

kobe isnt going 100%, he's just out there having fun.

stop with the knee jerk reactions, seriously.
Hoop_Knowledge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

sammo wrote:

is the kobe you remember a type of guy that gives opponents a pat on the back when they shoot a 3 in front of his face?

Agreed. Anyone who knows basketball and who has played for a long time can see that he is not going full speed and that it would be stupid for him to go full speed right now. For him, there is absolutely no need right now.

For example, I have had coaches in my younger days (during practices) tell us (on certain occasions) what speed to run or scrimmage at. Whether it is half-speed, three-quarters speed, or full-speed, we learned and knew how to dial-up or dial-down the intensity and activity level. Kobe has mastered this. And as he has mentioned in the past, he has "gears" that presumably he can shift to (higher or lower) depending on the circumstances and need.

Kobe is clear-as-day playing in a lower gear (going at about three-quarters speed) right now. It is preseason, and he is playing with several guys who are not going to be playing much when the games start to count. He is still feeling out his body, testing (against opposing teams/players) what he can still do, gauging certain moves and counter moves to see how he will need to adjust once players & teams figure out those moves and his abilities/limitations.

This is the testing phase in a very long process (season). If Kobe can remain healthy, then he will be much better than Wizards Jordan. The only question is if his play can help lead this team to wins...
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

sammo wrote:

You don't know Kobe, if you believe that there are games he doesn't take seriously.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Two different situations....Kobe has never really had any seasons off other than recovering from injuries like this past year. MJ on the other hand had to battle age, in the NBA playing against a bunch of guys that are in their 20's is no easy task.
Hoop_Knowledge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject:

The Faceman wrote:
sammo wrote:

You don't know Kobe, if you believe that there are games he doesn't take seriously.

I think you may have misread him/her. Sammo never said that Kobe doesn't take games seriously. He does take them seriously, probably more than any other player currently. And he probably is having fun competing right now since this is probably the best he has felt physically in 2 to 3 years.

IMO, Kobe takes it seriously enough to know and understand that it is supremely foolish to go full-speed, 100% in preseason at this stage of his career. He knows his body, he is still trying to test certain areas of his game, and he knows that the season is a marathon, not a sprint. Going full-speed right now for someone that has 18 years in the league is just not smart...

That is why I believe once the games start to matter, you will see him kick it up another notch (or gear as he has called it) and if healthy, he will look much, much better (way better than Wiz Jordan which is the point of this thread)...
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:

His shot has looked way better than I remember it. The lift and the separation is there, the release is on point. He seems to have healed his fingers a bit also during his time off. I thought it was just me, but then I showed last game's highlights to a friend who is an avid Boston fan and LA "hater" and he concurred... kind of.

We'll see how it goes as he rounds into form and as the season progresses, but so far I like what I'm seeing. He's had what, 9 or 10 real games since April 2013.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

fan4life wrote:

I get tired of Jordan-jockers treating him like he's god, but I have to say to put up those stats and show that kind of durability at nearly 40 is damn impressive. Compare that to Nash's pathetic attempts to play at 39+.

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Jordan had only played 13 nba seasons up until then, with a break in the middle, and no serious injuries. Kobe has a lot more mileage at 36 than Jordan at 40 or 41
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject:

fan4life wrote:

Yeah I don't get it, people discuss Jordan's wizards years like he was some old bum who had no business on a basketball court.

All things considered he played at a pretty high level, especially for his age. It was just that he had the perfect opportunity to go out on top and he didn't take it. He came back several steps slower than he was because at his age, a 3 year hiatus was an eternity because his game was already going to be dropping off rapidly. Plus everyone was annoyed at his repeated retirement flip flopping by that point.

If Kobe is able to occasionally drop 40 and 50 point games like Wizards Jordan did, score in the low 20's and play a majority of the games, I think everyone would be ecstatic.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:

not a fair comparison....the problem is that 35-36 year old jordan??? <sigh> looked better than kobe....he retired from the bulls the second time after ring 6. this was well before his comeback with the wiz.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: