Is Kobe a help or a hindrance in terms of bringing in the next great HOF laker player

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How does kobe effect the Lakers ability to bring in the next great HOF player(s)?
He helps our chances of landing a "big fish" more than he hurts our chances.
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
He hurts our chances of landing a "big fish" more than he helps our chances.
53%
 53%  [ 24 ]
Neither. Kobe has no effect on whether top tier players come to the lakers.
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 45

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Is Kobe a help or a hindrance in terms of bringing in the next great HOF laker player

I've heard many times on LG that Kobe is the reason why we won't be contending for a title in the next 2 years. Some people believe we have to wait until Kobe's gone until we get another top tier free agent. I'm not to sure about that premise.

Right now, Kobe is the only asset on the court the lakers have that would attract a top-tier player (even with his current salary). I think when Kobe's gone the lakers will be less likely to land a top tier player.

Of course star players in the NBA want big salaries (and Kobe's annual 20 mill hurts that), but they can get that on alot of teams in the league. That's why they're star players. In my opinion the second priority top tier players have is they want to win. And to win they need to play with other talented players (thats why tandems and "big 3's" are in Cleveland, Clippers, OKC, San Antonio, Chicago, GS, Houston, Portland, etc). With the exception of Kobe this roster is average. Last year, the same could be said about Pau (who is now gone).

By the time Kobe's gone the lakers have to hope Randle, Lin, and/or Clarkson have taken major leaps forward. Otherwise, what happened this offseason will be the norm. Look at the teams I listed in the previous paragraph. All of them had an allstar they drafted (if not 2). Harden is the exception, but he proved his talent in Houston years before Dwight went there (which is my point). Wade was in Miami, that's a big reason why Bosh and Lebron came. Same can be said about Kyrie and Cleveland this offseason.

Heritage franchise is nice. So is a winning history. Not to mention financial and career opportunities off the floor in a great city (LA). Those things almost sold Melo on coming here...but almost doesn't count.

Behind money, top-tier stars want to win... so they can make more money (did I just make your head explode? lol).
But seriously, based on what I've seen, you need a "super team" to win a chip in the 2014 NBA. And at least 1 star players needs to be on the roster heading into that offseason for it to work.

This is why some Laker fans shouldn't be waiting for the grass to be greener when Kobe leaves. Just my 2¢.

I want to get LG's pulse on the topic. So please vote.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Kobe no longer has an effect either way, Lakers management is the biggest reason for an UFA not coming to the Lakers. No one IMO wants to play for Jim Buss.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

It's not Kobe. Its the CBA.
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject:

So I'm assuming that Kobe was responsible for Melo turning down the Mavericks, Rockets and Bulls or Pau turning down the Spurs and Thunder.

So I'm also guessing that no one really wanted to play with Dwight, Harden, Dirk, Duncan, Ibaka Westbrook, Parker or Durant either.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

It's kind of funny, the level of denial some of the Kobe haters live in.

Consider that the only reason we even got a courtesy visit from Melo was because of Kobe.

crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

if i'm being honest, i'd say he's a hindrance at this stage of his career.

we're not getting the next Laker great till after he retires.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I voted neither. Seems like the positives and negatives are about a wash at this point.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

It's not really "Kobe" that affects it.

It's Kobe's contract.

Kobe himself doesn't really prevent us from putting together a contender. Sure, some players don't want to play with him, but many might.

I think the poll is poorly worded. It's not Kobe, it's the fact he makes 40% of the cap needed to put a team around him. That needs to be much lower at his point of his career because at that share of the pie, yes, it is prohibitive and not ideal.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

It's Kobe's contract.

Kobe himself doesn't really prevent us from putting together a contender. Sure, some players don't want to play with him, but many might.

I think the poll is poorly worded. It's not Kobe, it's the fact he makes 40% of the cap needed to put a team around him. That needs to be much lower at his point of his career because at that share of the pie, yes, it is prohibitive and not ideal.

The only reason the Lakers couldn't sign anybody is because they were unwilling to commit to longer term deals with other quality FAs that were out there. Instead, they'd like to keep their precious cap flexibility and replicate this year's FA debacle all over again next year.

Kobe makes a convenient scapegoat for that, but it wasn't Kobe that handed over a two year, $18 million contract to Jordan Hill.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Kobe no longer has an effect either way, Lakers management is the biggest reason for an UFA not coming to the Lakers. No one IMO wants to play for Jim Buss.

Its this and we don't have an attractive roster
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It's Kobe's contract.

The only reason the Lakers couldn't sign anybody is because they were unwilling to commit to longer term deals with other quality FAs that were out there. Instead, they'd like to keep their precious cap flexibility and replicate this year's FA debacle all over again next year.

Kobe makes a convenient scapegoat for that, but it wasn't Kobe that handed over a two year, $18 million contract to Jordan Hill.

Right. And part of that was the uncertainty around how they're going to be able to put a contending team together and part of that uncertainty lies with a particularly massive contract.

Again, I'm not going to say Kobe's fault or Kobe this or that.

But a $24M contract that was offered in order to put butts in seats, is a hindrance to putting together a quality squad. That was the concern from the very beginning and we're seeing it now as well.

The Jordan Hill thing was long after we knew we could no longer construct such squad but why didn't you mention the second year team option on it? Forgot? Or intentional?
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

The new CBA is the problem not Kobe or his contract.

If a player doesn't want to play with a 5x NBA champ then he's not a guy we want on the team anyway.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject:

The last two years we had space to sign a FA we ended up trading for Lin and re-signing Hill, and signing Shaq.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I think in some ways Kobe does hinder the chance. It is Kobe's team and under Kobe's rules bottom line. Anyone wanting to play for the Lakers knows there's only one alpha dog. So until Kobe is gone there will be some free agents that will be apprehensive about coming to LA.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Kobe being here hurts the chances of landing a big star. Great career and legacy, but he still wants to be the main guy at his age. Everyone saw what the Yankees team went through with Jeter his last year, players aren't going to want to deal with that distraction in Kobe's last year.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

A little of both. It's not black and white.

A star wanting to win will probably not want to join with a top dog already on that squad. The Lebron experience was an anomaly, not the rule. That said, Kobe's presence as well as his legacy will be easier to sell to a young free agent than say, how Boston treated Pierce and Allen on their way out.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Duncan and Dirk's salaries do open doors for help on the team. Lakers FO and Kobe did what's best for Kobe. But a Kobe solo team is something we already saw when he was younger and that's not winning anything in the NBA.

Last edited by deal on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Blah Blah Blah....same ole LG crap.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

Would you be employed at a company that offers less benefits/pay for more work compared to others?

The essentially the dilemma with future stars trying to come here with Kobe on the roster.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Voices wrote:

Its this and we don't have an attractive roster

Agree.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

It's not an easy task to convince the big fish to be OK with being up against a rebuild.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Voted yes, he is a hindrance. He's just one of the problems though.

A lot of great players have chosen not to play with him. Obv he's had a great career but he's a demanding, ball-dominator and that didn't go over too well with Shaq, Dwight, Glen Rice, Bynum etc. More passive personalities like Pau and Odom put up with it but most big-time free agents will say "heck no" to playing with someone who has so much power within the organization to do whatever he wants. The head coach is even in his back pocket now.
paulsung123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Kobe hurts our chances. Dwight Howard made that very clear. If Melo signed with us, I'd say he helps, but the truth is, Melo didn't, and a reason for that likely is that there is just one ball, and its not big enough for two volume shooters.

Playing for Jim Buss has nothing to do with an FA potentially coming. Just because some fans in LG nerd rage over Jim Buss doesn't mean NBA players view ownership in a light as fans do. It's roster, coaching, location, market, team brand, and then maybe VERY far down, something else, and then below that who the owner is.

Don't believe me? See all the Clippers players and coaches who played and worked for Sterling over decades.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Any player who wouldn't want to be here because of Kobe is not a player I want on this team. Kobe's contract definitely hurts our cap but the front office is whose job it is to negotiate contracts and acquire talent. So this is on them.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

The Faceman wrote:
Any player who wouldn't want to be here because of Kobe is not a player I want on this team. Kobe's contract definitely hurts our cap but the front office is whose job it is to negotiate contracts and acquire talent. So this is on them.

So you wouldn't want Shaq in his prime on this team? How about Dwight in the playoffs last year averaging 26 and 14 and 3 blocks? I'd take that over Jordan Hill and Ed Davis.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: