Kobe Throws down Hammer Dunk through traffic at Practice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coop_21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

Just a dunk in a practice drill, so yes its a bit overhyped/exaggerated.
BUT...in the 4th quarter of the game last Thursday Kobe had a layup on a botched fastbreak where took off far from the rim and barely got it over the rim.
SO that dunk in practice where he took off far in the paint and exploded up to the rim (where screen grabs showed he got above the rim) indicates that at certain times his legs do work. Also compare it to the dunk last season vs PHX/Tucker where he went baseline and barely got it over the rim.

It's a good sign IMO and well worth the overhype.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
K2 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I know this has nothing to do with the Kobe video, but are those spectators on the sideline?

I think it's open practice today at the Toyota Sports Center, there was a thread earlier with a reference to a sign up page.

Ah, ok I missed that....kinda wierd to see fans at a Lakers practice.

They've been doing it for years. Usually just for 1 practice though.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Dondre wrote:
Not a lot of lift on that dunk, he barely got the ball over the rim. Lets how that's not him trying his best.

He never really jumps high on dunks, but he covers a lot of distance.

Yeah, that's what people aren't getting about this dunk. He had a long hang time. He covered a lot of distance and it was easy to see that he is keeping some in reserve. He has a lot more there.
ringThingDoUrThiNg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

His dunks still look pretty. Hes almost like a dancer in the air the way he contorts.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject:

I missed the game last night. Any in-game dunk attempts?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

No sadly. He was displaying the old men's game yeterday. I'll wait till all star game to have a definite opinion on his game but I'am a little worried.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:

As you age, you only dunk when you have to. If you can just lay it in, you do that.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

No I agree with that. I didn't expect to see Kobe dunk hard in preseason anyway. But overall, I see him struggle a lot.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
No sadly. He was displaying the old men's game yeterday. I'll wait till all star game to have a definite opinion on his game but I'am a little worried.

Ahh. Well, that explains the FG%.

Wow. He had 11 FTs and 22 FGA in 32 mins? That's a lot of usage when you include the 5 assists in 4 turnovers as well.

Glad to see he can play 32 mins though. And he took some 3s. Nice to see and a good percentage from there as well. Byron's offensive desires had me change my initial guess, but I was going to predict a higher percentage of 3pt looks than usual for Kobe this year. Nique saw a 50% increase in his 3pt attempts after coming back from achilles injury. But maybe Byron won't let that happen.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

He should have gone to the line at least 3 or 4 more times last night with how much he got hacked. That would have improved his FG% and his point total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

I think that Kobe's goal is just to survive the preseason and get to game #1. He is working on some things now, the turn around jumper being one, but I think we see more when it actually counts.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
He should have gone to the line at least 3 or 4 more times last night with how much he got hacked. That would have improved his FG% and his point total

Oh. I was more surprised about the FT attempts because he hadn't been penetrating the defense and zePokar said he played his old man's game mostly.

What was he getting fouled on? His fallaway?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
22 wrote:

Oh. I was more surprised about the FT attempts because he hadn't been penetrating the defense and zePokar said he played his old man's game mostly.

On his pumpfakes a lot.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
22 wrote:

On his pumpfakes a lot.

Wow, that's a lot of fouls on pump fakes. Hahaha.

I'm heading home for lunch so maybe I'll see if I can record it and watch it later tonight. Thanks for providing color.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

He attacked the rim a little bit but the defenders were mostly all over him. It feels like a struggle to get to the basket for him atm.

But who knows where he's at right now physically with the tough Byron's practices. The goal might be to have him 100% in November.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
He attacked the rim a little bit but the defenders were mostly all over him. It feels like a struggle to get to the basket for him atm.

But who knows where he's at right now physically with the tough Byron's practices. The goal might be to have him 100% in November.

Yes. To me, that is when Kobe is Kobe. I hate to SMH at those saying peopel would eat crow because he made 4 slow turning fallaway jumpers in the preseason opener.

If he's not attacking that basket like he used to, then he isn't Kobe. I agree. If he's going to get there, it'll take time. Those who thought and said that he would come out of the gates firing were wrong.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

Yeah that's why I'am definately not judging where he's at by theses pre seasons game. I know Kobe also doesn't care to prove anyone wrong in meaning less pre season's games.

But I hope to see a lot more from him next month.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Yes. To me, that is when Kobe is Kobe. I hate to SMH at those saying peopel would eat crow because he made 4 slow turning fallaway jumpers in the preseason opener.

If he's not attacking that basket like he used to, then he isn't Kobe. I agree. If he's going to get there, it'll take time. Those who thought and said that he would come out of the gates firing were wrong.

Last two games 26.5/5/5 on 29.5 min/gm
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
zePokar wrote:

Last two games 26.5/5/5 on 29.5 min/gm

He didn't look like himself though right? Admittedly, I didn't see the 5th game last night but in the other 4 games he just didn't look like the 2012 Kobe to me. Still think he can get there, just not convinced he is there yet.

Would be awesome though if we could play Utah 82 times at home. Then we'd have 41 wins! Haha.

Still sticking to my 20-22, 5 and 4 projection on 43%-44% shooting over the course of a long 82 game season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

Yeah ringfinger he attacked the basket quite a few times last night. Gobert blocked him clean, another time I thought he was fouled but no whistle, another instance he was stripped in a double/triple team, and twice or three times got inside for a drive & dish/kick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Kobe isn't driving to the rim because it's preseason. Why would he want to risk getting banged up attacking the hole in preseason? It makes no sense. Right now he's just working on his post game, jumper, fadeaway, and footwork. Once the season starts I expect to see him attack the rim more often especially from the mid to high post area maybe not as much from the top of the key.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's just warming up. The haters will be quiet soon.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

It's so wonderful that Kobe still demands triple teams after a year off.
Jeff
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject:

It was pretty spectacular dunk in person and the crowd went crazy, but I guess I'm just not used to seeing that kind of play up close from ground level.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Kobe's just warming up. The haters will be quiet soon.

Nah, at this stage of his career, kobe shows us what he's got in the preseason. That's when the goat's put on a show.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: