Future Franchise Savior?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Future Franchise Savior?

As we all know, you have to have superstars to win in the NBA.

The Lakers have been blessed in the past to get young players like Jerry West, Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant right out of college (or HS) to build around from the start of their careers.

If you think about it, those three players covered us for about 45 seasons, with Kobe playing an incredible 20 seasons already.

So it is clear to me that our best hope to get back to where the Lakers should be (on top) is to get another young superstar, not an overpriced max contract free agent with a lot of mileage on them (i.e. Carmelo Anthony) as that isn't going to work.

The guy we need to get in my opinion is this freak of nature Thon Maker.

He could potentially be another Kevin Durant or even better. I think absolute worst case he ends up being a better overall player than Kevin Garnett.

So the question becomes, how do the Lakers accomplish this? They need to get in this kid's ear right now and make it clear to him that he can be the next guy in LA and enjoy all the spoils that come along with that. Ideally, he tells other teams don't even bother drafting me because I am going to be a Laker even if that means playing hardball and sitting out a whole season.

Ownership needs to make it clear that if he does that, he will be taken care of. Who is with me on this guy? I think he is going to be a superstar and God knows we need one with Kobe on his last legs.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

LakerLanny wrote:

The Lakers have been blessed in the past to get young players like Jerry West, Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant right out of college (or HS) to build around from the start of their careers.

If you think about it, those three players covered us for about 45 seasons, with Kobe playing an incredible 20 seasons already.

So it is clear to me that our best hope to get back to where the Lakers should be (on top) is to get another young superstar, not an overpriced max contract free agent with a lot of mileage on them (i.e. Carmelo Anthony) as that isn't going to work.

The guy we need to get in my opinion is this freak of nature Thon Maker.

He could potentially be another Kevin Durant or even better. I think absolute worst case he ends up being a better overall player than Kevin Garnett.

So the question becomes, how do the Lakers accomplish this? They need to get in this kid's ear right now and make it clear to him that he can be the next guy in LA and enjoy all the spoils that come along with that. Ideally, he tells other teams don't even bother drafting me because I am going to be a Laker even if that means playing hardball and sitting out a whole season.

Ownership needs to make it clear that if he does that, he will be taken care of. Who is with me on this guy? I think he is going to be a superstar and God knows we need one with Kobe on his last legs.

Yeah, that dude is pretty unreal.
I mentioned him in a thread a few months ago as a guy to look out for in 2-3 years.
7' tall, jr in high school, former soccer player who has really good footwork because of it, has handles and really good moves, along with 3pt touch
Wants to "model his game after Durant" in his own words
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

Sad to say that I think the only franchise savior at this point would be a Phil Jackson-like figure, if not Phil Jackson himself.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

So how do we get Thor?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

LakerLanny wrote:

Don't forget the super-important veteran acquisitions we made with Kareem and Shaq, though. We DO need key free agents in addition to developing a new, franchise-leading young talent.
usc/lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So how do we get Thor?

Needs to be deemed "worthy" of wielding Mjolnir
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

the Lakers should look into eugenics... something along the lines of Kareem impregnating Lisa Leslie and having Joe and Pamela Bryant raise the offspring in Italy
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Don't forget the super-important veteran acquisitions we made with Kareem and Shaq, though. We DO need key free agents in addition to developing a new, franchise-leading young talent.

I agree, but first you need to draft a superstar to build it all around. I don't think you can just piece together a championship team with all free agents under this current CBA, you have to hit on a superstar in the draft.

The Lakers got hosed badly by the NBA in the Chris Paul fiasco. They have to now stick it to the NBA and the rest of the league by rigging the game in their favor by getting in Thon's ear and telling him to demand to be a Laker and that he will not lose any money by doing so, in fact he will ultimately gain money by doing so by playing for the premier organization in the NBA.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

Dante exum did just about everything to try and go to the lakers and look how that turned out. Teams don't care where players prefer to go.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

LakerLanny wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

I agree, but first you need to draft a superstar to build it all around. I don't think you can just piece together a championship team with all free agents under this current CBA, you have to hit on a superstar in the draft.

The Lakers got hosed badly by the NBA in the Chris Paul fiasco. They have to now stick it to the NBA and the rest of the league by rigging the game in their favor by getting in Thon's ear and telling him to demand to be a Laker and that he will not lose any money by doing so, in fact he will ultimately gain money by doing so by playing for the premier organization in the NBA.

Aside from being illegal, how do you actually make that work?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

24 wrote:

It isn't illegal to try and control where you are employed, this isn't North Korea.

It all comes down to the player and how emphatic he wants to be about it. Exum supposedly wanted to be a Laker, but he really just wanted to be in the league and was fine with going to NBA Siberia with the Jazz.

If Thon Maker told teams, look you can draft me but I will never sign with you then he could potentially choose his own destiny. It is just a question of if the Lakers can convince him to do that. Hell, John Elway did it back in the day in the NFL.

You want to end up in Atlanta or Charlotte? OK then, but I think he could control it if he drew a hard line. The Lakers are going to need to start thinking outside the box and being aggressive or else they will literally be irrelevant for a decade as a result of the Chris Paul fiasco.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

It is illegal for the Lakers to tamper with him, and the CBA ensures that if he doesn't report to the team that drafts him, he doesn't play.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

You have a better chance of trying to pry a player from another team once their rookie contract is over....too bad the new CBA makes it that much harder for them to do it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
It is illegal for the Lakers to tamper with him, and the CBA ensures that if he doesn't report to the team that drafts him, he doesn't play.

For the Lakers official personnel, yes....for "informal representatives" then it is more of a grey area.

Yes, he would likely have to hardball if a team didn't respect his wishes and drafted him....if he sat out a full season and drew a hard line, at some point they would have to capitulate most likely.

I am not saying it would be easy or pretty, but if the Lakers continue to just bend over and not fight back the way they did on the Chris Paul screw job, they are destined to fail for a long long time. Right now they are absolutely terrible with no hope in the next few years either.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
24 wrote:

For the Lakers official personnel, yes....for "informal representatives" then it is more of a grey area.

Yes, he would likely have to hardball if a team didn't respect his wishes and drafted him....if he sat out a full season and drew a hard line, at some point they would have to capitulate most likely.

I am not saying it would be easy or pretty, but if the Lakers continue to just bend over and not fight back the way they did on the Chris Paul screw job, they are destined to fail for a long long time. Right now they are absolutely terrible with no hope in the next few years either.

So the "informal personnel" are supposed to informally lock him up so tight he won't play for another team, even to the point of being willing to sit out indefinitely? Yeah, that's a plan...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

And that team keeps his draft rights.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

So the "informal personnel" are supposed to informally lock him up so tight he won't play for another team, even to the point of being willing to sit out indefinitely? Yeah, that's a plan...

They have to try something.

What is the plan now 24? I don't see one. Trying to sign Carmelo Anthony to a max contract? Thank God that didn't happen, Carmelo saved them from themselves.

If it is informal "tampering" or blantantly tanking multiple seasons in a row, the Lakers better start figuring it out or they are going to see that people aren't going to pay Laker type ticket prices to watch the Orlando Magic West which is what we are right now.

What is the plan? I don't think they have one, they have no clue or concept how to compete under the communist CBA that they didn't fight nearly hard enough to prevent. Now the Dan Gilbert's and Robert Sarver's of the world just laugh at the Lakers, they got over on our franchise big time.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:

salami wrote:
the Lakers should look into eugenics... something along the lines of Kareem impregnating Lisa Leslie and having Joe and Pamela Bryant raise the offspring in Italy

Shaq or Lebron impregnating Serena Williams imo.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

How do you suggest we get such a player? We have to suck to the bottom 3, I don't like the odds.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
How do you suggest we get such a player? We have to suck to the bottom 3, I don't like the odds.

At this point, blatantly tanking multiple seasons 76er style might be our best bet.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
24 wrote:

They have to try something.

What is the plan now 24? I don't see one. Trying to sign Carmelo Anthony to a max contract? Thank God that didn't happen, Carmelo saved them from themselves.

If it is informal "tampering" or blantantly tanking multiple seasons in a row, the Lakers better start figuring it out or they are going to see that people aren't going to pay Laker type ticket prices to watch the Orlando Magic West which is what we are right now.

What is the plan? I don't think they have one, they have no clue or concept how to compete under the communist CBA that they didn't fight nearly hard enough to prevent. Now the Dan Gilbert's and Robert Sarver's of the world just laugh at the Lakers, they got over on our franchise big time.

We did this to ourselves. Jim Buss obviously is a problem. The proof is in the pudding. You don't build a roster around an aging superstar that dominates the ball and expect to compete for championships. If we have indeed had no choice but to continue to build around Kobe for whatever reasons (loyalty, popularity) then this downswing was inevitable. Personally I think we had other options. The reason we are terrible now is because we have poor management who are showing a pattern of making very bad decisions. This coincided with Jim Buss being more involved.

The good news is that the front office doing what they're doing is having the same effect as tanking so we might end up with a high pick or two in the next couple years to grab someone like OP is hoping for.

Last edited by Cancun Van Exel on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:

At this point, blatantly tanking multiple seasons 76er style might be our best bet.

Being 76ers-level terrible for multiple seasons is a very sad prospect, but is unfortunately far more realistic than the other scenario you laid out.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

Desperation lol

U really should recruit 4yr old..
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Drake?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:

It hasn't really worked out for Philly, why would it work here?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: