Future Franchise Savior?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:
How do you suggest we get such a player? We have to suck to the bottom 3, I don't like the odds.

At this point, blatantly tanking multiple seasons 76er style might be our best bet.

It hasn't really worked out for Philly, why would it work here?

It did seem to work for some other teams like the Spurs, Thunder, Cavs and Clippers.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:
How do you suggest we get such a player? We have to suck to the bottom 3, I don't like the odds.

At this point, blatantly tanking multiple seasons 76er style might be our best bet.

It did seem to work for some other teams like the Spurs, Thunder, Cavs and Clippers.

The Clippers weren't tanking, they were just mismanaged. The Cavs have had ridiculous luck. Last season they were doing everything they could to try to make the playoffs, then lucked into yet another #1 pick. Spurs didn't really tank, they had a season filled with injuries which took them from a contender to a team whose best player was a washed up vs. of Niq. Thunder is really the only team I consider a tanker out of that list.

I think if the Lakers struggle, deal with more injuries and it comes down to a race for a top five seed or losing the pick, they will tank. But I don't see them intentionally tanking otherwise. I don't think they tried to last season either, injuries decimated them.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

That kid is incredible.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:

The Clippers weren't tanking, they were just mismanaged. The Cavs have had ridiculous luck. Last season they were doing everything they could to try to make the playoffs, then lucked into yet another #1 pick. Spurs didn't really tank, they had a season filled with injuries which took them from a contender to a team whose best player was a washed up vs. of Niq. Thunder is really the only team I consider a tanker out of that list.

I think if the Lakers struggle, deal with more injuries and it comes down to a race for a top five seed or losing the pick, they will tank. But I don't see them intentionally tanking otherwise. I don't think they tried to last season either, injuries decimated them.

You can attribute it to whatever you would like. Mismanagement, injury, or tanking. If we are in the running for the top 5 slots, there will be people arguing that each of these was the case. The point is that some teams who got a stud in the draft had success. Just because Philly hasn't gotten theirs yet does not mean we cannot get a player through the draft who takes us back up to that contention level.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:

I would say it has been a failure for the Cavs and Clippers.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:

It's still pretty early in the process but they have Michael Carter Williams, Nerlens Noel, Tony Wroten and Joel Embiid to show for it. That's the beginnings of a decent young core. They'll get one more young stud next year too.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject:

Karl Towns Jr. And Julius would make a greatttt front court
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

And then what? Lose some of the to FA because they won't spend? Hope a couple develop? Hope to compete in another 5-6 years after 3-4 years of being horrible and a few more years of hopefully being average? Just in time to see some of those guys walk? Is that really the future you see for the Lakers? It isn't close to what I want to see.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

Not only to we have to suck, but we have to grab more picks by eating the bad contracts of other teams. This is a very real scenario for the next few years.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

LakerLanny wrote:
As we all know, you have to have superstars to win in the NBA.

The guy we need to get in my opinion is this freak of nature Thon Maker.

He could potentially be another Kevin Durant or even better. I think absolute worst case he ends up being a better overall player than Kevin Garnett....

I stopped reading there because now we're into fiction writing. I've seen too many past examples of these types of predictions (of a "can't miss HoF pro career") for a high school star who fizzled out far, far, far short. Let's just say Maker looks promising now and we'll wait for the results to start happening for him in college.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

High school competition isn't what it used to be. Wait til these guys are in college to make NBA predictions. PLEASE. How many more times are scouts going to get douped by high school prospects???
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

usc/lakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So how do we get Thor?

Needs to be deemed "worthy" of wielding Mjolnir

Maker is skinnier then a toothpick, so I doubt he could even pick up mjolnir much less wield it -

kid can ball though
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
And then what? Lose some of the to FA because they won't spend? Hope a couple develop? Hope to compete in another 5-6 years after 3-4 years of being horrible and a few more years of hopefully being average? Just in time to see some of those guys walk? Is that really the future you see for the Lakers? It isn't close to what I want to see.

What's the alternative? The Lakers would pay if they had to extend a bunch of talented young players, although Philly may not.. But i'd rather be where OKC was a few years ago with Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka and with tough decisions as to who to keep, then where we are now (captain obvious).

This rebuilding process should have already been underway last year. The Nash trade is looking more and more painful with each passing Byron Scott led disaster of a basketball game. It's early but we don't have any good defenders nor a coach with a record of understanding how to stop NBA offenses.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

The alternative is to use the picks they have and can trade for and the cap space they will have. Kind of like what they are doing. Tanking for draft picks has never been a successful way to build a winner.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

Wilkes52 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
As we all know, you have to have superstars to win in the NBA.

The guy we need to get in my opinion is this freak of nature Thon Maker.

He could potentially be another Kevin Durant or even better. I think absolute worst case he ends up being a better overall player than Kevin Garnett....

I stopped reading there because now we're into fiction writing. I've seen too many past examples of these types of predictions (of a "can't miss HoF pro career") for a high school star who fizzled out far, far, far short. Let's just say Maker looks promising now and we'll wait for the results to start happening for him in college.

Ha ha, I bet you read the whole thing!

Duly noted and I am prone to hyperbole but in my opinion this guy is a sure thing and the best prospect since LeBron James.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
High school competition isn't what it used to be. Wait til these guys are in college to make NBA predictions. PLEASE. How many more times are scouts going to get douped by high school prospects???

High School competition is better than it used to be, the players have become bigger, more athletic and play year round.

It is college competition that isn't what it used to be.

Bottom line is you have to make bold projections on young players and hopefully guess right to have any success in the draft these days.

Whether Thon is the answer or not isn't so much the question (even though I am 100% positive if he doesn't get hurt he is a flat out star) but more the fact that you need a plan and then execute that plan.

Chasing overrated guys with huge NBA mileage on their tires (Carmelo Anthony) when you have little chance of getting them doesn't qualify as a sound plan. In fact, it is completely asanine and a sign of an organization that has clearly lost their way.

I don't think the Lakers are going to wake up until they get mass season ticket cancellations which will be coming after this season in my opinion as no one wants to pay huge money to watch a (bleep) product.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Ronnie Price could be that guy.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Ronnie Price could be that guy.

or Wesley Johnson a.k.a Kobe's Pippen.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

High School competition is better than it used to be, the players have become bigger, more athletic and play year round.

It is college competition that isn't what it used to be.

Bottom line is you have to make bold projections on young players and hopefully guess right to have any success in the draft these days.

Whether Thon is the answer or not isn't so much the question (even though I am 100% positive if he doesn't get hurt he is a flat out star) but more the fact that you need a plan and then execute that plan.

Chasing overrated guys with huge NBA mileage on their tires (Carmelo Anthony) when you have little chance of getting them doesn't qualify as a sound plan. In fact, it is completely asanine and a sign of an organization that has clearly lost their way.

I don't think the Lakers are going to wake up until they get mass season ticket cancellations which will be coming after this season in my opinion as no one wants to pay huge money to watch a (bleep) product.

no, high school kids are smaller than ever. look at a few tapes of top prospects regular high school games and look at the competition
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

look at the kids he plays against for the next 15 seconds of this video.

look at the team in red..........

this generation is a bunch of late bloomers. buncha skinny kids with baby faces, most of them short

look at Aaron Gordon's high school competition. kids are small these days man. lol

Karl Towns. lol look at his teammates lineup next to him, kids lookin like 8th graders body wise and in the face. and look at his competition for the rest of the video.

julius randle's competition. babies.

kids are tiny these days man, trust me i was just in high school 4 years ago.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The alternative is to use the picks they have and can trade for and the cap space they will have. Kind of like what they are doing. Tanking for draft picks has never been a successful way to build a winner.

Philly, to the best of my knowledge, is the first tream blatantly doing it and they might be scary in 3 years. Not sure if we have enough of a sample size to know whether or not it works. Philly hasn't been tanking so they would win more games a year later. They're building a nucleus for down the road. Nobody knows if it has worked yet but i'd rather have their roster than ours on this day.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:

To be fair they are only in year 2 of tanking. I would take a core of

Embiid
Noel
Saric (I would of took McDermott)
MCW
And unlimited cap space plus another high draft pick next year over what we have now
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Cancun Van Exel wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Philly, to the best of my knowledge, is the first tream blatantly doing it and they might be scary in 3 years. Not sure if we have enough of a sample size to know whether or not it works. Philly hasn't been tanking so they would win more games a year later. They're building a nucleus for down the road. Nobody knows if it has worked yet but i'd rather have their roster than ours on this day.

Did Seattle/OKC follow a path completely different from the Philly path or are there a fair number of similarities?
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

If we could get cauley stein in the next draft I'd be stoked, although doesn't even seem possible. Tyson chandler 2.0.

Clarkson, randle, cauley stein. That's conley, zbo, tyson chandler right there. Lol.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Did Seattle/OKC follow a path completely different from the Philly path or are there a fair number of similarities?

Sea/OKC missed the playoffs 4 straight years stockpiling talent

It helped that they got a top 5 pick for Ray Allen while the Lakers didn't get anything for their vets
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: