Future Franchise Savior?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:
How do you suggest we get such a player? We have to suck to the bottom 3, I don't like the odds.

At this point, blatantly tanking multiple seasons 76er style might be our best bet.

It hasn't really worked out for Philly, why would it work here?

To be fair they are only in year 2 of tanking. I would take a core of

Embiid
Noel
Saric (I would of took McDermott)
MCW
And unlimited cap space plus another high draft pick next year over what we have now

I prefer the couple of titles we have won with some of the players we have had the past couple of seasons. Now we rebuild, Philly has been in that mode for most of a decade.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The alternative is to use the picks they have and can trade for and the cap space they will have. Kind of like what the

And still no winners y are doing. Tanking for draft picks has never been a successful way to build a winner.

Philly, to the best of my knowledge, is the first tream blatantly doing it and they might be scary in 3 years. Not sure if we have enough of a sample size to know whether or not it works. Philly hasn't been tanking so they would win more games a year later. They're building a nucleus for down the road. Nobody knows if it has worked yet but i'd rather have their roster than ours on this day.

Did Seattle/OKC follow a path completely different from the Philly path or are there a fair number of similarities?

Sea/OKC missed the playoffs 4 straight years stockpiling talent

It helped that they got a top 5 pick for Ray Allen while the Lakers didn't get anything for their vets

And still no winner.
automatic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
salami wrote:
the Lakers should look into eugenics... something along the lines of Kareem impregnating Lisa Leslie and having Joe and Pamela Bryant raise the offspring in Italy

Shaq or Lebron impregnating Serena Williams imo.

Yao Ming's wife is 6'3" and played on China's Olympic team. Got about 4 inches on Serena.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Great post OP. We need a elite prospect like Maker.
The most obvious way to get him is ...
But I'm apprehensive with that thought. It further perpetuates the culture of losing we have had for the past couple seasons.
With that in mind, a better alternative is competing and maximizing the assets we have. That way we have more options.
If Swaggy P has another 20+ a game season and Randle averages 14/7 packaging up both those players for a Thon Maker pick doesn't sound so crazy. Especially if we make the playoffs and those lakers show up in the postseason (I.E. Lance stephenson's value before blowing in Lebron's face). Both Swaggy P and Randle are locked up past this upcoming season (when maker will be drafted).

Tanking is tempting. But lets wait a while before we go down that road. I've seen a Kobe/Smush backcourt go up 3-1 in the first round of the playoffs before. ANYTHING could happen.
Maybe Byron Scott turns the lakers into a physical top 10 points allowed defense.
Maybe Kobe comes back and averages 24/5/5 and Boozer shows up as a second option. Crazier things have happened

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
styleripftw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject:

King Durant, come on down!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I thought we tanked last season for that future star player?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I thought we tanked last season for that future star player?

These will be involuntary tank after tanks...
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I posted this in another section but I'm pretty sure nobody will see it.

I know it's early, but this years laker team is not blowing anyone's socks off. They will probably finish with a record worse than last years, and that's not too surprising considering the West got better, and we lost Pau, and our top 3 3 point shooters from last year. The Lakers can very well finish last or second to last in the West, with the teams giving them the most competition being Minny and Utah (BTW Utah is actually looking pretty damn good, all those years in the draft and stock piling young talent seems to be paying off for them). Let's just play devils advocate and say we get the number one pick. Judging by the laker history, they will probably be looking at Kahlil Okafor as the obvious number one. The guy seems to have Shaq like dominance in him. I love the way he bangs in the paint. I would have Mudiay at number 2. Honestly if the Lakers find themselves at all in the top 5 for this coming draft, they're going to get a player that will be with the franchise for years to come. This Lakers team is actually in a great position right now to absolutely be scary if the chips fall in their favor.

If the Lakers end up with an opportunity to draft Okafor, then they will have a roster in summer 15 looking like this

PG: ?
SG: Kobe
SF: ?
PF: Randle
C: Okafor

To me, summer 15 is huge. The Lakers can choose to go in 2 directions here. Option A would be to go out and get a established PG to pair with Kobe in the backcourt for Kobe's last hoorah. The ideal target via UFA would be Goran Dragic. Klay Thompson is the other obvious but no way GSW lets him go (RFA). Option B would be to stay dedicated to the rebuild and sign a bunch of scrubs to another 1 year contracts, which would be disappointing if this is what they choose to do again. If they go with option A, The Lakers in 2015 will then have a line up of:

PG: Dragic/Clarkson
SG: Kobe
SF: Young
PF: Randle/Kelly
C: Okafor

Again, that team isn't competing just yet, but it will give Julius some prime time minutes, and it will also begin to groom Okafor. Summer 16 will then be where the Lakers will finally reel in the big fish, and bring in KD, who will be an unrestricted FA. Assuming 38 y.o Kobe is similar to 36 y.o kobe, the Lakers will bring him back for one more year.They can then use the excess cap space they have left to bring some fire power off the bench like Danillo Gallinari, and Nene, who are both UFA, and probably have a market value of around 8-10 mil each. In 2016, the Lakers will once again be competing for a Championship

PG: Dragic/Clarkson
SG: Kobe/Young
SF: Durant/Galinari
PF: Randle/Nene
C: Okafor/Ed Davis(?)
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Sad to say that I think the only franchise savior at this point would be a Phil Jackson-like figure, if not Phil Jackson himself.

... Phil Jackson cannot take the court..... he needs players to succeed and I might add very good players indeed....

.... point: first and foremost a successful franchise has got to be able to put talent on the floor to win....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So how do we get Thor?

If we can't get Thon then Matur would be a great fall-back LINK

Have got to make one of the Maker's happen....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

If Swaggy P has another 20+ a game season and Randle averages 14/7 packaging up both those players for a Thon Maker pick doesn't sound so crazy. Especially if we make the playoffs and those lakers show up in the postseason (I.E. Lance stephenson's value before blowing in Lebron's face). Both Swaggy P and Randle are locked up past this upcoming season (when maker will be drafted).

Scenario:

1. The Lakers have a bad season and have the #3 Pick in the 2015 Draft.

2. Noah Vonleh and Lance Stephenson have big seasons for Charlotte.

3. Charlotte asks the Lakers if they will accept Vonleh and Stephenson for the rights to the #3 pick which the Lakers will select per the directions of Charlotte.

4. Mitch & Jim accept the Charlotte proposal with Vonleh and Stephenson becoming Lakers and the player selected at #3 going to Charlotte.

As a fan of the Lakers, would you be happy with that trade?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

For me it would depend on who is available at 3.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Scenario:

1. The Lakers have a bad season and have the #3 Pick in the 2015 Draft.

2. Noah Vonleh and Lance Stephenson have big seasons for Charlotte.

3. Charlotte asks the Lakers if they will accept Vonleh and Stephenson for the rights to the #3 pick which the Lakers will select per the directions of Charlotte.

4. Mitch & Jim accept the Charlotte proposal with Vonleh and Stephenson becoming Lakers and the player selected at #3 going to Charlotte.

As a fan of the Lakers, would you be happy with that trade?

The Lakers finished with the 2nd worst record in the western conference last season and only the 7th pick to show for. The league hates us.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
bandiger wrote:
How do you suggest we get such a player? We have to suck to the bottom 3, I don't like the odds.

At this point, blatantly tanking multiple seasons 76er style might be our best bet.

We might not even have to tank, we'll have a hard enough time scratching out wins as it is.

We should say we are tanking just to save face.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

No offense.....

but ya'll freaking crazy if you would trade Julius Randle if he puts up 14/7 in his rookie year for pick of a guy that hasn't played a second of college basketball yet.

You actually want to keep your pieces that are your strongest instead of switching them out constantly and if Randle puts up 14/7 in his rookie year it obviously means he's likely gonna be something special.

Also keep in mind that Julius Randle was a top 3 pick talent and was high on the Lakers draft board. If the Lakers had the 3rd pick they likely draft Randle.

If it only takes a few pre-season games where our third string gets decimated for people to start looking at a draft class 2-3 years into the future for a franchise savior then the losing culture brought last year is really having a bad after effect in the mentality of some Lakers fans.

Can we see how great of something we have with Randle before you start talking about Thon Maker who hasn't even said which college he's going to yet?

The mentality of Lakers fans can NOT be

"Lets tank to get our next savior!"

(gets draft pick) ... He's not Kobe tho!

(next year)

"Let's tank to get our next savior!"

(gets draft pick) .... He's not Kobe tho!!

and so on and so on and so forth. There should not bring this kind of losing culture within the fanbase where if they look bad in the pre-season you're already looking 3 years down the road at who can save you cause they are dominating high school.

Come on ya'll. Ease up some. There's 2 weeks of pre-season left.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Going to be hard for Randle to put up 14/7 when it looks like Scott will have him glued to the bench for Boozer
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Going to be hard for Randle to put up 14/7 when it looks like Scott will have him glued to the bench for Boozer

We need Boozer to "protect" Randle though.

Sorry VLF, had to.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
Dante exum did just about everything to try and go to the lakers and look how that turned out. Teams don't care where players prefer to go.

An speaking of Dante in a thread based on Thon Maker crazy how they'll both be powering up Australia's national team to another level.

Thon went to high school in Virginia but is born and raised in Australia. I mean KD and team USA will still smash on them but they'll clearly be a force to recon with in Olympic play when they fully develop.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:

John Wall
Kevin Durant
Anthony Davis

Don't know how we accomplish it but just throwing that out there
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

LakerLanny wrote:
So the question becomes, how do the Lakers accomplish this?

Ideally if David Stern was still around, this would have been the way:

kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

LakerLanny wrote:
As we all know, you have to have superstars to win in the NBA.

False. Are the spurs considered a Superstar team? Did Tim Duncan play all 82 regular season games last season and post record-breaking numbers last season?

The premise is flawed and misleads the reader into adopting aforementioned stance.

Is Kawhi Leonard a Superstar.
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

kinein wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

False. Are the spurs considered a Superstar team? Did Tim Duncan play all 82 regular season games last season and post record-breaking numbers last season?

The premise is flawed and misleads the reader into adopting aforementioned stance.

Is Kawhi Leonard a Superstar.

You bet he's a superstar,the way he played in the Finals makes him one
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
salami wrote:
the Lakers should look into eugenics... something along the lines of Kareem impregnating Lisa Leslie and having Joe and Pamela Bryant raise the offspring in Italy

Shaq or Lebron impregnating Serena Williams imo.

She too ugly, Shaq or Lebron s privates would fall off
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
John Wall
Kevin Durant
Anthony Davis

Don't know how we accomplish it but just throwing that out there

well it richoches back...lol
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

LakerLanny wrote:

The Lakers have been blessed in the past to get young players like Jerry West, Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant right out of college (or HS) to build around from the start of their careers.

If you think about it, those three players covered us for about 45 seasons, with Kobe playing an incredible 20 seasons already.

So it is clear to me that our best hope to get back to where the Lakers should be (on top) is to get another young superstar, not an overpriced max contract free agent with a lot of mileage on them (i.e. Carmelo Anthony) as that isn't going to work.

The guy we need to get in my opinion is this freak of nature Thon Maker.

He could potentially be another Kevin Durant or even better. I think absolute worst case he ends up being a better overall player than Kevin Garnett.

So the question becomes, how do the Lakers accomplish this? They need to get in this kid's ear right now and make it clear to him that he can be the next guy in LA and enjoy all the spoils that come along with that. Ideally, he tells other teams don't even bother drafting me because I am going to be a Laker even if that means playing hardball and sitting out a whole season.

Ownership needs to make it clear that if he does that, he will be taken care of. Who is with me on this guy? I think he is going to be a superstar and God knows we need one with Kobe on his last legs.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: